• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror Bar

I'm split when it comes to kids being in bars. Family friendly places such as WDW are no big deal to me but there are some bars where kids don't belong. I wouldn't have wanted kids in the old Pleasure Island either because the atmosphere just wasn't kid-friendly sometimes.

But to each their own. I doubt that any of it actually would damage kids.

I prefer not to teach my kids to pretend drink (consume pretend alcohol) and order at a bar. I don't order virgin drinks at restaurants, either.

They're children. They don't need children's versions of adult things. There's plenty of time for them to experiment with alcohol without me encouraging it by letting them "belly up" to a bar and order drinks for themselves at 8 years old. Parenting is very individual but I prefer to send the message that drinking IS a big deal and it's something that kids don't do.

Wait, did I miss something?

I had no idea that Mickey would be roaming the parks and forcing everyone to take their kids to the bar. If this isn't something that you want to do with your family, then just walk on by.

A kid odering a Shirley Temple at a bar is no different than ordering the same drink at a table. It's just juice, syrup and cherry.

My goodness, some people are so uptight when they go to Disney.

I disagree that letting them order a virgin drink is encouraging alcohol, we don't call it "pretend alcohol". It's just a drink they can have outside of the usual water or milk. I think if I'm ordering something other than my usual water, why shouldn't she be allowed to have a special treat?

I had my share of Sherry Temples at the bar growing up. I *still* only order virgin drinks when I go out (save maybe 2 to 3 drinks per year), so clearly it did not lead me to a life of alcoholism. Great, now I want to order a Sherry Temple at our work Happy Hour tonight (but I try to pretend to be a grown-up, so will stick to cranberry and soda or somesuch.

Actually a prohibition speakeasy bar and grill would fit in quite nicely in that spot.

AKK

Been thinking on this( and thinking always getse in trouble) but this could be fun.

Think and alley way to the door, a small door in the front door, having to knock, the small door opens and the guy, all dressed in a black tux, wants the pass word, a *flapper* bring you to a table. Period drinks and food. Maybe even a flapper style stage show.

Even the police occasiobally raiding the place. The bar keep pulls a level and all the alcohol disappears until the *coppers*.

Lots of points where the guests are involved.

Yes it could be fun.

AKK

Ditto! MN here, who spent all my summer weekends at our cabin in Wisconsin. Can I ask - which lake town did you vacation in? We were in Siren/Webster/Danbury. Always at the bar, playing games, looking at hunting trophies, playing poker. Best way to grow up ;)

North of Rhinelander. There is a group of 5 connected lakes. I forget what they're called.

Been thinking on this( and thinking always getse in trouble) but this could be fun.

Think and alley way to the door, a small door in the front door, having to knock, the small door opens and the guy, all dressed in a black tux, wants the pass word, a *flapper* bring you to a table. Period drinks and food. Maybe even a flapper style stage show.

Even the police occasiobally raiding the place. The bar keep pulls a level and all the alcohol disappears until the *coppers*.

Yes it could be fun.

AKK

I like the concept in a general sense, but: officially the Tower of Terror is stuck on October 31, 1939. Prohibition ended in 1933, so by the time of the events of ToT, alcohol had been legal for six years and there was no need for speakeasies or fearing the cops.

I like the concept in a general sense, but: officially the Tower of Terror is stuck on October 31, 1939. Prohibition ended in 1933, so by the time of the events of ToT, alcohol had been legal for six years and there was no need for speakeasies or fearing the cops.

Even better! I am a fan of post-prohibition cocktails. The 'Remember the Maine' is my current favorite, but I certainly would never turn down a 'Manhattan' or a 'Corpse Reviver No.2'.

Not a fan of more alcohol in the parks. And I'm saying that as someone who likes to have a few drinks now and again. In fact, now that we're a little older, our kids are adults, etc., one of our favorite things to do is bar-hop on the monorail loop. I just don't like alcohol in the parks. It's not like a 10 on the scale of things that bother me, but if I made the rules there would be no booze in the parks. Sorry to be a party pooper...

Will they have you exit through the bar? That doesn't seem very child friendly.

Will they have you exit through the bar? That doesn't seem very child friendly.

No idea, I doubt it though. That doesn't matter much to me though, I don't want a bar or drinks available anywhere in the parks. Only exception being World Showcase. Just my personal preference...

I prefer not to teach my kids to pretend drink (consume pretend alcohol) and order at a bar. I don't order virgin drinks at restaurants, either.

They're children. They don't need children's versions of adult things. There's plenty of time for them to experiment with alcohol without me encouraging it by letting them "belly up" to a bar and order drinks for themselves at 8 years old. Parenting is very individual but I prefer to send the message that drinking IS a big deal and it's something that kids don't do.

I grew up sitting at a bar. My father owned several bars and restaurants and most of my days after school were spent sitting at the end of the bar doing homework and drinking Shirley Temples and the like. I can say that for me personally it did not negatively affect me later in life in terms of drinking. I rarely drink now, except for a drink out at dinner or at a social event and those can be months apart. I think for me at least, being around that environment so much growing up made it so that drinking and bars were not much of an allure for me later in life. It wasn't some secret forbidden adult thing so therefore when I got older there was not the "need" to experience it as there were for many of my peers. I understood the responsible side of alcohol because it was exposed to me from a young age.

I love this idea! I must admit exiting through the bar would be weird... somehow I suspect they'll avoid that. Either way, I'd check it out. :)

Yes it could be fun.

AKK

Like the Ink & Paint Club from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? That'd be pretty cool.

Exactly! Also, I remember you from when I first started posting here - looks like our join dates are similar. Anyway, I remember when your preemie, teeny tiny son was born - is that him in your avatar?? How do these kids get so big, so fast? Yours is a name I have not seen around here in a while, so I had to stop and say hello :)

Aww. Thank you! That made my day. That's him, but from a few years ago, age 11. He turns 13 next week! Lol. Time flies. So nice of you to remember!

I asked a cast member in the gift shop last week and she told me that it as still a go, but had been delayed due to some space logistics. Not sure exactly what that means, but she did say it was still happening. Who knows if that's accurate info, but I thought I'd share it.

I completely forgot about this. Wonder if it will be open in 20 days? Haha...who am I kidding? I think "delayed" is the new buzz word at WDW. :yo-yo:

For adults, it is might be great but for families and for children. Maybe a Mickey themed ride with a cafe for kids.

I'm split when it comes to kids being in bars. Family friendly places such as WDW are no big deal to me but there are some bars where kids don't belong. I wouldn't have wanted kids in the old Pleasure Island either because the atmosphere just wasn't kid-friendly sometimes.

But to each their own. I doubt that any of it actually would damage kids.

I'm not a huge fan of kids sitting at the bar, but it happens frequently at my local brewpub, especially when people are waiting for a table to be ready. I don't like it because when little Billy is sitting at the bar next to Dad, there's one less seat that I could be sitting in, and I know that my bartender friends don't like it, because they know that I'm a much better tipper than little Billy is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter