ToT, convince me to ride it

I really hate drop rides like Dr. Doom where you aren't enclosed. I'll do them but I don't enjoy them and hold my breath the whole time. I LOVE TOT and I think it's because a. my feet are on something instead of dangling b. It's enclosed and you only see how high you actually are a couple brief times and c. THE THEMING IS PERFECT.

My thought for all rides, is that if you aren't prone to any kind of motion sickness, do it at least once to see what it's all about!

ToT is the ONLY ride I've never been on. I had a very bad experience on Dr. Doom. But if your feet aren't dangling free, I might be persuaded by my DDs to ride it next trip....

My mother does not ride any roller coasters or thrill rides. Growing up we went to the "local" parks (Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens) every single summer, multiple times each summer. She rode the swings and the merry go round. Her official title was "Backpack Carrier and Official Bench Warmer." She wouldn't even wait in line with us but would still come to the park each time.

We went to WDW in 2011 as a big family group and somehow she got the idea that it would be really fun to ride ToT "just us girls". She made it through the ride (after much screaming and threats of "I'm going to kill you when we get off this ride!") and was so dang proud of herself when we came through the gift shop. She's already said that she's going on that and may try Barn Stormer or Big Thunder Mountain when we go back!

In 2012, we went on our first mother/daughter trip. The FIRST day of our trip we went to HS and the FIRST ride was ToT. I so didn't want to do it. She begged. I did it.

I was terrified. I hated the continual dropping. I held on so tight I had divots in my palms for two days. DD (7 at the time) loved it beyond description.

We exited and she begged and I mean really begged to ride it again instantly.

A WONDERFUL family overheard us and offered to let her ride with them with an extra FP. So I went through all the pre-ride show then took what I called the "chicken elevator" down after buckling her in. She loved it as much as the first time. Fast forward a few hours and she did the same thing again.

I'll do anything I can for her and promised the day we decided to be parents that I would never let my limitations stand in the way of her experiencing life. Yet I cannot ride ToT again. I know it is just a few minutes ride. I know it is safe. I know the mechanics. But I CAN NOT ride again. Riding it the first day set me up for anxiety for the rest of the trip on any ride that stated "drops". I was actually asking each ride operator to clearly define the number of drops and the magnitude. Sad but true.

I will concede I am glad I was with her for her first ride. For the memory but no more. Make your choice based on how you feel. He can ride without you and not be alone. We are going in 2 weeks and are spending 2 days at HS. I won't ride it and I know my trip experience will be better for it. :)

Best ride at WDW. My favorite thing to do is sit in the back row and hold my arms up, you get great air time! I don't do it in the first or second row because it blocks people for the picture, I just keep my hands on my lap.

Took me over 20 trips to finally ride it. Rode it, hated it, said I would do it one more time "to be sure". Still hated it. Booked FP+ for it for me and a friend to try to convince myself I could do it again and I went right for the chicken exit.

Just dont like it, the drop is not even the part I hated, it was the GOOOOOING UP!!!

ToT is the ONLY ride I've never been on. I had a very bad experience on Dr. Doom. But if your feet aren't dangling free, I might be persuaded by my DDs to ride it next trip....

They are not dangling free, you are enclosed in an "elevator", seat belted in and feet on the floor. :thumbsup2

To the OP: I agree with PPs who stated you should at least try it once. ToT is my favorite ride at WDW, and I hate all other drop rides at any other park, I won't get on them. It is very safe, the queue, pre-ride show and beginning of the ride (before the drops) are all amazing. And the drops themselves are very smooth and not full drops. I think you may enjoy it more than you imagine, and if you don't then don't get on it again! :goodvibes

I'm not afraid of heights, I'll ride any Disney coaster, I haven't been on TOT in years, only in DCA, never HS, I don't like the feeling in my stomach, and chest when I'm dropped. DD, and I have fp+ for it next month, we'll see, I'd at least like to see the queue/pre show.

This is one of those "must ride" rides everytime we go. The DBF cannot go to HS without jumping on it. Although I love the theming and Twilight Zone has always been a favorite show of mine, I must admit I always get scared! Haha but I do it anyway screaming at the top of my lungs. Also, we somehow always seem to get the front row seats. I'd suggest you sit in the back. There's grab bars in front of you and you wear a seatbelt.

Id say go for it just for the experience! It truly is a very submersive ride and all the elements take you into the theme.

My fav Disney memory (so far). DD (now 14, then 3) on front porch of Wilderness Lodge just before check in while waiting for Dad to park, spinning in circles to the music, looking up at the twinkle lights and saying, "This is the best place EVER!"

2nd fav Disney Memory (so far). Same DD, 7 years old, screaming her lungs out, hair straight up on ToT while I laughed like an imbecile! And I'm terrified of heights. (I cried at the top of a small lighthouse in Michigan!)

Still my favorite ride ever (maybe after The Beast at King's Island). Still cracks me up to even think about it. She SWORE she'd never ride it again, but was thinking of going again by the end of the day. Went home and told all her friends how cool it was. We haven't been since, and are heading down Christmas week. This was her *only* must do. Mine too.

I've only ridden it twice, but love it! The first time, my DF and I were determined to try every ride. We couldn't get the kids on it, but I laughed through the whole thing, she screamed and left nail marks in my arm when she grabbed on!

Her DD finally decided she wanted to ride it, and my DS tagged along with me, DF and DH waited outside. DF had tried her best to talk her out of it, but I managed to convince them they would enjoy it. She was worrying about it all the way. I threw a quick glance at her as we finished our first drop, and she had this huge smile! She loved it and wanted to go again, but the line was too long.

I am building my way back up toward big coasters, like I used to do when I was younger. The way I am approaching it is that it is only a couple of minutes, then it will be over. Then I end up having so much fun I want to ride it again and again! That was I approached this the first time I rode and so glad I gave it a try! The worse that can happen on a new ride is that I won't enjoy myself.

I had never tried the dropping before, it was a new sensation, but really kind of cool!

Ummm... shouldn't that make you MORE scared rather than less? Since you are PULLED down rather than just DROPPED down, you are actually falling FASTER than if you just DROPPED.

That's not necessarily true. Pulled means that it is controlled; it is possible that they are pulling slower than what it would be if they dropped it (speed being controlled by force of gravity)

They actually pull you faster than free fall. Otherwise you would not rise out of your seat (although it didn't seem to bad).

They are not dangling free, you are enclosed in an "elevator", seat belted in and feet on the floor. :thumbsup2

To the OP: I agree with PPs who stated you should at least try it once. ToT is my favorite ride at WDW, and I hate all other drop rides at any other park, I won't get on them. It is very safe, the queue, pre-ride show and beginning of the ride (before the drops) are all amazing. And the drops themselves are very smooth and not full drops. I think you may enjoy it more than you imagine, and if you don't then don't get on it again! :goodvibes

Me too, I abhor drops, and ToT is one of my all-time favorites. I'm a sucker for theming too, which is incredible in itself, but the ride is a must-do. You just have to marvel at it. Ride at least once. Do scream--I discovered late in life that it really makes thrill rides more bearable and fun. :banana:

I am easily motion sick, and ToT doesn't bother me at all. It's a very fun ride. DD rode it last year (at age 6) and thought that the "electric people" were very scary, but did not mind the rest of the ride. We rode it again this year and she kept her eyes closed for the electric people parts and she really enjoyed it. It is a really fun ride - I'd do it 20 times in a row vs. one ride on RnR Coaster - I hate that ride! :-)

In general, my thoughts when it comes to Disney attractions is to try everything once and form your own opinion on if you like it or not. When it comes to phobias and illness factors there are exceptions.

When it comes to TOT the things that could bother someone that I could think of would be fear of heights and/or falling. And possible motion sickness.

* I would say most people's motion sickness issues are from spinning not the "stomach in your throat" feeling a drop can give you.
* With a fear of heights I would say this shouldn't be much of an issue with this ride. The tower itself is rather tall but most of the ride (including the drops) is mainly in the dark. You really are not aware of how high you are. The only time that you know is when the ride reaches the "lookout opening".
* The main issue I see people having is the dropping itself. If you have a big fear of falling you might have issues. If you do not like big drops you could have some issues....however there is a difference between how the dropping feels and how going down a big hill on a roller coaster feels. Dropping straight versus on an incline does make a difference.

I say unless you have a horrible fear...go for it! If you do not like it then you will know. I really like this ride...it is one of my favorites. The ride is fairly short... you do drop multiple times. The drop sequence varies from ride to ride so you drop varied amounts of times, varied distances of drops (some drops are longer, some are shorter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter