Topamax and FL heat

They use topamax as a preventative migrain medication so if you are prone to them then yes going off the medication can cause a relapse in migrains

Went to neurologist this morning. He said the tingling was from low bicarb levels in the blood. He said it would have been easy to fix with alka seltzer or potassium supplements. However, he decided with the other side effects that I'm having, to switch me to a different medication. Now I'll be taking Keppra. It's another anti-epileptic, but it has an off-label use for migraine prevention. He said it has a nicer side effect profile. Have any of you had any experience with this one?

My DS is now on Topimax. I am so worried about our WDW trip. We have noticed that he does not sweat now that he is on the meds. He does not speak or communicate so now I am worried he will get dyhydrated on us thia trip. We push the fluids but he can't tell us how he is feeling.....I love the meds since all seizures have stoped but now worry about the side effects!!!

I am so thankful that I found this thread! I've been on 100 mg of Topamax for migraine prevention for over two years now, and I had no idea about any of these side effects! I only knew about the weight loss (the one I didn't get...figures!)

I go to Disney in July, and looking back now I can see how the Topamax affected me. Everyone else was sweating through their clothes literally. At one point, my parents bought a bottle of cold water, sat on a bench and poured the bottle over their heads. I hadn't even broken a sweat yet. And yet I got so tired and weak by dinner time. In years past, we would stay at the parks from opening to closing. Last year, I couldn't even make it to Wishes. :guilty:

I also have tingling in my hands and feet, which I never linked with Topamax. AND, I just found out I have my first cavity, after 22 years of perfect teeth. I can't thank you all enough for sharing your experiences. I'm going to be much more prepared before this July's trip! :sunny:

Beware > Tingling.

I took it for migraines too, up to 100mg / day. About 2 years. I started out with tingling just mild sometimes my hands, fingers or feet. and just shaking it would go away after a few minutes. Then my wrist started hurting, and numbness was getting worse. I even quit doing my computer cause of it. My hand hurt more and more, > up to my shoulder it got so bad. They where sure I had carpl tunnel syndrome, and thinking about surgery. I was wearing a brace, and starting to wonder what I was going to do at work, my hand was so weak. Then my neuro got involved for the testing I needed, and she said its the topamax! I said it started with tingling but now its really painful, I had swelling my hand was 1/4 larger than it had been, could not wear braclete I had prior etc... I was protecting that hand and doing everything left handed, trying to write even? She said stop the topamax 3 days later it was almost completely cured and a week later the swelling was hardly noticable. So if your getting tingling, keep an eye on it.

I didn't know about the heat thing either, but makes sense my last few trips I thought the heat was worse / but chalked it up to getting older? 40 something? I never normally took a nap at disney, good time to get stuff done while they napped. And I was the first to suggest a nap last august.

Weight loss, maybe 5# and didn't gain anything but that was it. Of course, those of us that wanted that one, didn't get it.
mky :smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter