Top 5 non-theme park hidden gems.

Accident

DIS Veteran
I struggled with what forum to post because there is different people that read different forums. because it's kind of in line with the top 5 videos that disunplugged has been posting and this forum has a wide variety of posters that know what is outside of theme parks I thought it might be a great place to try this.

My list that fits in the rest day even for an onsite guest to possibly head too and a reasonable cost uber or taxi ride to get there.

5. Escape rooms (and I haven't had a chance to try the recently opened zombie variation of these). If your near a major city, you probably have a dozen choices of these types of places but if your not or far enough from them, it could be a nice rest day family puzzle outing to do one. Easy to combine with lunch or dinner off property.

4. Dr Phillips performing arts center. Just great entertainment being booked there and mutliple theaters (with a new one being built to add to it). You can even see broadway shows that tour down to here for a week every month or two. So close to property, it's closer to MK than the value resorts are and you can exit property near ft wilderness to get there avoiding most traffic you might see on i4 or 192 (and it's the faster route to get there from property unless staying at a value near i4 or 192 entrance).

3. Air boat rides to see central florida in its more natural state. (even better if you can do an everglades one but don't jump right into that, get your feet wet with a closer option first). Also available in trips to west coast/clearwater and down to miami for some south beach enjoyment leaving from the orlando area.

2. 4rivers. Just great bbq and even with the travel, there is generally other things near them you can easily make an afternoon doing.

1. A helicopter tour (especially the illuminations fireworks one). Can be as low cost as $30 a person with others filling in the seats you can't fill. fireworks being the pricer one. generally available in the disney or idrive areas and they do vary in what they go over depending on how much your willing to spend

What are your top 5 (or top picks if you don't have 5) for non-theme park destinations?

I don't really go off property much, but I wanted to say I love your list, and this idea. I have enjoyed going to Cracker Barrel (they didn't/don't really have a lot of these in the NorthEast for me to be able to get to), and the Character Warehouse at the mall (not sure which one, and it may have moved).

Last edited:
I'm with my sorcerer on this one unless you live and get to go to Disney so often that you've literally covered every book an cranny that I want to discover and enjoy property

I have decades of never stepping foot off property until I decided yes, let's move here. I'm also looking to learn about places that I haven't found yet. I also had some longer trips that I might have had the time to venture off, but didn't know where to go other than other theme parks. I think there is a lot of information we can learn and some can share on this topic. You don't have to plan disney but no research and your going to have problems.

A variation could be, rainy day top 5. I've had 1 trip that rained so much I would have taken a taxi at any price if I knew and indoor destination that would be great. (fyi, the crayola experience might be a good rainy day one, especially now that they are testing out adult only nights).

I'm with my sorcerer on this one unless you live and get to go to Disney so often that you've literally covered every book an cranny that I want to discover and enjoy property
Well - if you want to be my chauffeur sometime, I'll be glad to break outta the bubble! :)

Tim tracker did one of the helicopter flights where he also got to pilot for a bit; scary as hell to me but some might love that.

This thread reminds me of what I loved about The Trip.

Make Jackie (moms view), Ryno (30ish club hoppers view), Craig (newlywed view) and Pete (a tad over 30ish crowd) give their views of Orlando life. Anyone who supports this email it to podcast@disunplugged.com

Make Jackie (moms view), Ryno (30ish club hoppers view), Craig (newlywed view) and Pete (a tad over 30ish crowd) give their views of Orlando life. Anyone who supports this email it to podcast@disunplugged.com

The trip had a lot of issues (pun intended). you would really need to sort all that out first including that it didn't really work as an in studio format. a nice alternative would be having employees do non-park trips and vlogger style release other interesting places around central florida like they do for their quick videos without a studio content.

now I will 10000% get behind that pilot / test they tried when hashing out what they could do with the gay community and businesses that wasn't theme parks. I hope they stopped talking about it because they realized it was a million dollar show they could pitch and sell the idea (if not sell it as a produced show) to network tv. (and if they are just noticing this, I don't need compensation and go run with it guys. If you offer anything I will say yes though.).

Great Bryan, now you brought it up. I often thought that if Bawb we still with us he would have driven The Dis to the point where the Travel Channel would try to pick it up. Sometimes things are more special when kept intimate.

Tim tracker did one of the helicopter flights where he also got to pilot for a bit; scary as hell to me but some might love that.

This thread reminds me of what I loved about The Trip.

Great idea, I thought that's kind of what the Gay Show (or Our Orlando, as Byan/Accident had suggested) was going to be, and I was really looking forward to that. @Teleclashter or @WebmasterPete - any decision after the 1 "test" of the Gay Show aired? I know it was going to showcase "gay" stuff around the Orlando area (gay owned businesses, etc.), but still would have been cool to get that local feel. And yes, I MISS The Trip for this kind of content!

Last edited:
Great Bryan, now you brought it up. I often thought that if Bawb we still with us he would have driven The Dis to the point where the Travel Channel would try to pick it up. Sometimes things are more special when kept intimate.

i'm only talking about the show they put up titled "the gay show". brilliant idea and direction. would really work on tv if it took more of a format that you might see on a travel channel. There is a bunch of local florida shows that are amazing in how they highlight the state and places to visit. none of them go this direction and intimate is fine, but their goal of helping the community would be better served in a mainstream format show.

Totally off topic on the Disboards but kinda fits in this thread,

Does anybody know what kinda area Winter Park is like? There's a chapel here that looks really good for my wedding! :D

Does anybody know what kinda area Winter Park is like? There's a chapel here that looks really good for my wedding! :D

It's a really great small town. Very family oriented, great little shops and places to eat. It's off the tourist corridor so it's mostly floridians wandering around (and they love to come out and wander around).

Totally off topic on the Disboards but kinda fits in this thread,

Parts of Winter Park are lovely.

Winter Park is a well to do area of Orlando, but there are parts that don't fit that description.

Parts of Winter Park are lovely.

Winter Park is a well to do area of Orlando, but there are parts that don't fit that description.

Thanks! I street viewed the whole area on google maps and it basically fit your description so I couldn't decide. The section with the chapel looks nice though so that's seeming likely :)

4. Dr Phillips performing arts center. Just great entertainment being booked there and mutliple theaters (with a new one being built to add to it). You can even see broadway shows that tour down to here for a week every month or two. So close to property, it's closer to MK than the value resorts are and you can exit property near ft wilderness to get there avoiding most traffic you might see on i4 or 192 (and it's the faster route to get there from property unless staying at a value near i4 or 192 entrance).
Agree that the Dr Phillips center is a very nice venue. We have seasons tickets for Broadway Across America which gets us 6 shows a season. The shows typically run a 4-day schedule (Thursday - Sunday) and happen monthly from October to April.

However, the venue is really not close to property. Its in downtown Orlando and would take about 30 minutes to get there from WDW. Check it on Google Maps. 445 S Magnolia Ave, Orlando, FL 32801

Agree that the Dr Phillips center is a very nice venue. We have seasons tickets for Broadway Across America which gets us 6 shows a season. The shows typically run a 4-day schedule (Thursday - Sunday) and happen monthly from October to April.

However, the venue is really not close to property. Its in downtown Orlando and would take about 30 minutes to get there from WDW. Check it on Google Maps. 445 S Magnolia Ave, Orlando, FL 32801

I mixed it up with that other venue.. thanks for the correction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter