Toothache years after a root canal?

I had to have a root canal redone last year. I was not happy, it appeared it wasn't done quite right the first time. I was not in pain yet, they found it by x-ray, but encouraged me to have it done ASAP before pain. Not fun, the 2nd one was much more uncomfortable than the first time for some reason.

I had a root canal, and had recurring pain about a year later. Two times the dentist put me on antibiotics - the pain went away each time, but eventually came back. X-rays showed nothing unusual. Finally the dentist removed the crown and went back into the tooth. He found a SECOND root. Removed it, and no more pain! But it was a miserable year for sure. The dentist said the chances of having two roots were very slim. I was just lucky lol.
Actually - there are normally 3 roots to each tooth - all 3 are cleaned out during a root canal. It is possible to have more than 3 - they're usually smaller (more narrow) and may also not run 100% vertically. I've had a number of root canals that have had to be 'redone' due to a 4th or 5th tiny root that was not detected when the tooth was originally fixed. It could also be a crack in either the crown or the remnants of the tooth below the crown...or the adjacent tooth that is causing the pain.

Another possibility is a sinus infection; particularly if it is an upper tooth. I had absolutely horrific pain and my dentist was all ready to do a root canal when she realized that the tooth already had one, and a crown as well. She sent me to an ENT, who diagnosed a sinus infection; the swelling was pressing down against the crown post. Massive dose of penicillin was prescribed, and the pain subsided within 12 hours and never came back.

What about a bridge? I have two, each one a 'spacer' tooth to fill the space of extractions. They were done over 20 years ago and still work great!!

OOOO A zombie thread. You know what that means.

6 out of 10 zombies said they just eat more brains when they get a tooth ache.
2 of them said don't worry. It will fall out eventually.
The other two said we'll be glad to cure you of that pain. But I think the cure they had in mind was worse than a toothache.

After my assistant admitted he had a toothache, I decided we had better end the survey..

OP here! How hilarious to see this thread pop up in my notifications. I'm sure you're all dying to know the REST of the story. I did end up needing another root canal in the same tooth. $3,000 altogether on one freaking tooth!! It hurt my bank account more than anything else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter