Too Many Meds, how to transport to Disney

Some medicines have the labels on the outside box and not on the medicine itself (inhalers) and when this happens I just go back to the pharmacy explain & these either given me another label or stuck it on what I needed.

I was so nervous with the nebulizer because it's weird & electric but all TSA seem familiar- I also have all the meds with labels so it all fits. If in doubt you can ask your Dr to write a note, my kids Dr always said it all needed to be with my child 24/7 but no one ever bothered us

Finally, one time I thought it would be okay to put my regular (not controlled substances) meds in my checked bag thinking nobody would want to take them. I was wrong and we got to Vegas and discovered somebody stole my Savella. Lesson learned, I know put all my meds in a carryon.

Another reason to not put meds in checked bags is bags do sometimes get left behind, sent to the wrong place, or lost. Those that are found often don't get back to you until the next day, sometimes several days (especially for international flights).

DH and I travel with our meds as many have said above: controlled substances in original pill containers and other pills and vitamins in day by day containers with extras. We have flown 20 or more times in recent years and never had a problem or been questioned BUT.....

My sister who has MS has had 2 experiences that point out what can and does happen sometimes.

Her first flight to Florida she was having one of her bad spells with MS and was extremely sleepy; could not stay awake and asked to use a wheelchair once she got to Orlando. It wasn't meds causing her sleepiness but since she hadn't indicated needing a wheelchair at the gate it caused some questions I guess. A flight attendant (we think) alerted for the wheelchair and once she got up to the gate a security person stopped her and asked her several questions. She was asked if she was okay and questions about any meds and had to explain her sleepiness. Eventually she dug out her scripts and was allowed to move on. All of this she says was done very politely but seriously. She now carries a letter from her doctors stating that she has MS and what she takes.

Another time she was in a car back home, not driving and they were stopped for a minor traffic violation. I don't know all the story, but every person in the car ended up being asked to get out of the car, show ids and when she opened her huge bag (purse) some loose pills fell out. To say my DS is disorganized is an understatement.....but, she did find the pill bottle they belonged to. The driver, her husband who does carry many controlled meds for a severe spine problem wasn't even asked to show his meds! We still remind her to be sure to carry her pills properly when she travels with us though!!!

OT - Ironically, the last time we flew with my 85 year old mother she decided to take double her regular pain meds because she worried about discomfort for the return flight. She was totally loopy, talking crazy and could barely sit up straight in the wheelchair through the security lines. I kept nudging her to just stop talking and sit up straight so that Southwest would let her on the plane! DB and I practically strangled her worrying us about getting stuck in Kansas City overnight till she 'sobered' up. The security people though must have been too busy to notice her odd behavior, thank goodness! Never again!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter