Todays Rant

For the peeps on here saying its a right not a privelige and Disney doesnt owe us anything.... I 100% agree!! My point is that alot of families might be priced out of going there now and its their god given right to vent their frustrations about it without getting taken to the woodshed for it. Thats it

For the peeps on here saying its a right not a privelige and Disney doesnt owe us anything.... I 100% agree!! My point is that alot of families might be priced out of going there now and its their god given right to vent their frustrations about it without getting taken to the woodshed for it. Thats it
The problem is also that those who have differing opinions are also taken to the woodshed for not being annoyed by the price rise

True. For the ones who were just priced out by the latest changes, this is a great place to vent frustrations. Our criticism is solely on the people who take to the streets and say they aren't ever going again because of the increase, but then end up booking a trip months later and settle for Deluxe without Dining instead of Deluxe with Dining.

True. For the ones who were just priced out by the latest changes, this is a great place to vent frustrations. Our criticism is solely on the people who take to the streets and say they aren't ever going again because of the increase, but then end up booking a trip months later and settle for Deluxe without Dining instead of Deluxe with Dining.
i have no reply to that Craig. Spot on buddy

If you're staying deluxe and not eating for a whole trip, you may want to reevaluate your options, food is important, food is good.
(Yes im aware of the "dining" Craig was referring to, I'm just taking the Mickey.... Wait, that's not a saying that translates well here... I was poking fun)

I feel that this sums it up perfectly.

The boards are a place for people to find and share information along with their opinions. This is not something that Pete was denouncing. Instead, he was commenting on those who passionately flame Disney for price increases, claim they will never ever go again, and then turn around and visit a few months later.

I brought it up in chatter, and I'll bring it up here...if you use an inflation calculator, the current pricing of tickets really isn't that far off from what it's been over the years...even when going back to the days of ticket booklets and factoring in how much you'd actually ride/experience during a day. Disney has NEVER been a cheap experience and the ticket price increases don't appear to be that far off from overall costs climbing in the US. The reality is that just about everything in your lives is climbing in price. Just look at the things you buy while grocery shopping and see how much your weekly spending goes up over the course of the year because of these gradual increases or how much you've had to cut from weekly/monthly spending to stay in budget. People are so quick to blame those raising the prices, but maybe the blame needs to go back to employers not being able to give employees meaningful cost of living increases to keep up. i.e. if Disney's increases are fairly in line with inflation and surge pricing is the common practice in most industries and is the no-brainer ticketing approach...maybe the fault lies someplace other than Disney.

I think the key issue that I took from the rant is looking at what you're currently getting for the price of that ticket. I don't mind spending the $ if I'm getting the kind of experience I have come to expect from the Disney parks. However, when I start getting a lesser experience for more $, I start debating about other vacation options.

No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded ! Lol. On a serious note, the price of a product or service is to control demand. That is it's only function. I personally would like Disney to raise the price even more or sell Fast Passes. If I am spending a lot of time and money to visit WDW I don't mind spending a small percent more to have a enjoyable time and not standing in line all week.

I brought it up in chatter, and I'll bring it up here...if you use an inflation calculator, the current pricing of tickets really isn't that far off from what it's been over the years...even when going back to the days of ticket booklets and factoring in how much you'd actually ride/experience during a day. Disney has NEVER been a cheap experience and the ticket price increases don't appear to be that far off from overall costs climbing in the US. The reality is that just about everything in your lives is climbing in price. Just look at the things you buy while grocery shopping and see how much your weekly spending goes up over the course of the year because of these gradual increases or how much you've had to cut from weekly/monthly spending to stay in budget. People are so quick to blame those raising the prices, but maybe the blame needs to go back to employers not being able to give employees meaningful cost of living increases to keep up. i.e. if Disney's increases are fairly in line with inflation and surge pricing is the common practice in most industries and is the no-brainer ticketing approach...maybe the fault lies someplace other than Disney.

I think the key issue that I took from the rant is looking at what you're currently getting for the price of that ticket. I don't mind spending the $ if I'm getting the kind of experience I have come to expect from the Disney parks. However, when I start getting a lesser experience for more $, I start debating about other vacation options.

I don't know what inflation calculator you're using, but the numbers I'm getting show that Disney is WAY above the inflation rate with their prices. For reference, this is the calculator I'm using. This is the site I'm using for historical Disney ticket prices.

I went back to 1999 - all 4 parks were open, they just re-structured the tickets. Tickets were all access tickets as they are now (not ticket books).

An adult 4 day PH pass in 1999 was 163.00 (at its cheapest). That $163 would equal $231.80 in 2016. A current adult 4 day park hopper is $394 (according to the WDW website). That's a 40% increase *over* what just the inflation increase would be.

Even just going back to the 2005 introduction of Magic Your Way tickets -
an adult 4 day base ticket cost $185. That $185 would equal $224.82 in 2016. Current 4 day base tickets cost $325. That's a 30% increase over what the inflation-alone increase would be.

Even just back in 2012, an adult 4 day base ticket (cheapest through disney) was $243. That $243 would equal $250.75 in 2016. Current 4 day base are $325. That's a 22% increase over what inflation alone would be.

Yes, that's 4 day tickets only...I didn't go back and calculate the differences for every type of ticket (have an appt to get to soon :)). And as I said before, I understand that Disney is a business and don't expect them to be a charity at all. But I don't see how these numbers can show that the current pricing isn't that far off from what it's been over the years adjusting for inflation. The increases are quite a bit above just the inflation increase..

Angel Ariel, Thanks for the additional information. From my reading of it, it seems to highlight your earlier point that most recent increases (tickets, menus prices and so on) doesn't appear commiserate with the increase of its constituent costs, nor has value been added. I agree that in the immediate timeline, value has been lessened through staffing cuts and construction. My observance isn't necessarily a "complaint" as much as being aware how the quantified value of a purchased good or service contrasts with the (mitigated) expectation of an anticipated, perhaps accustomed value.

:grouphug::bitelip:

How many English teachers or professors are in this thread? Show of hands, step out from behind the curtain.

I am pretty sure I am missing something here, but decides to use this to start my post anyway :) I am English teacher in Asia. I am going to WDW for the first time this September, but the only reason I can afford to go now is because my folks are paying for the majority of it. I only return to the U.S. every couple years, so this is a bit of an excuse for us to spend all our time together for two weeks.

I think Kathy made an interesting point about having to give up stuff because she wanted to go to Disney with her family in the past and that was her priority. I think that's ultimately how I feel about it too. If you really want to go, then I think a lot of people (not everyone, I know) could find a way. If I was paying for myself, I would have to decide where Disney fell on my list of places I want to go and if I would be willing to give up other things, and maybe even other vacations, to save up the money. I know that I am very fortunate to have parents who can afford to take me on vacation still.

I'm not saying everyone ranting is doing this, but I've found that lots of people complain about not having one thing while spending money on another. I have an aunt who always complains to my mom that she can't afford a vacation every time we go on one, but she is constantly remodeling her house...it make's it a but hard to really sympathize with her.

The rants on boards like this don't bother me too much, and compared to all the other negative things online it seems pretty mild. However, I can see why it bothers some. While I think the team does sympathize with those this really affects, I think Craig has sort of pointed out that there are people who are going to complain because there is something to complain about even as they continuing to go and pay for the nicest hotels, dinning, and tickets. Some people are just negative...it must be hard to be them.

Me, DW & DD went to see Aladdin on Broadway last Saturday. Between the tickets, food and parking, the day cost me $700. The show was 2 1/2 hours long. It was an amazing experience. The talent of those performers is out of this world. My point is, good entertainment is worth the cost IMHO. I know not everyone feels this way. It is completely up to the individual whether or not they are willing to pay the required price. As far as folks complaining about price increases, ranting on the DIS is awesome, from all perspectives. It makes for great reading!!

An adult 4 day PH pass in 1999 was 163.00 (at its cheapest). That $163 would equal $231.80 in 2016. A current adult 4 day park hopper is $394 (according to the WDW website). That's a 40% increase *over* what just the inflation increase would be.
Angel Ariel, Thanks for the additional information. From my reading of it, it seems to highlight your earlier point that most recent increases (tickets, menus prices and so on) doesn't appear commiserate with the increase of its constituent costs, nor has value been added. I agree that in the immediate timeline, value has been lessened through staffing cuts and construction. My observance isn't necessarily a "complaint" as much as being aware how the quantified value of a purchased good or service contrasts with the (mitigated) expectation of an anticipated, perhaps accustomed value.

I don't mean to disagree with your point. It is perfectly valid. I also understand you were responding to a PP mentioning "inflation." Inflation is not the only driving force behind price increases. Wages are a large part of any business cost. So, to take an example, in May 2004, a "deep water life guard" at WDW was a "labor grade 7" job. Labor Grade 7 jobs paid between $7.05 and $11.62 an hour (depending on experience). In the current CBA, effective July 1, 2016, a deep water life guard at WDW can earn a minimum of $11.25 and a maximum of $15.91.

If I have done the math right (Jeff, help!) between May 2004 and July 2016, the minimum wage rate for this job increased by 60% and the maximum wage rate increased by 37%. Much more than the inflation rate but significantly less than the 142% increase in adult 4 day park hopper ticket prices between 2004 and 2016.

Of course, this only looks at 2 specific wage rates. Benefits have changed as have many other "perks" for CMs. WDW also has a lot of other expenses. They have to pay for the $2 billion spent on MM+ . . . . but we weren't really talking about value added. :rolleyes1

The price of a good or service has zero relation to its value.

Me, DW & DD went to see Aladdin on Broadway last Saturday. Between the tickets, food and parking, the day cost me $700. The show was 2 1/2 hours long. It was an amazing experience. The talent of those performers is out of this world. My point is, good entertainment is worth the cost IMHO. I know not everyone feels this way. It is completely up to the individual whether or not they are willing to pay the required price. As far as folks complaining about price increases, ranting on the DIS is awesome, from all perspectives. It makes for great reading!!
This is an interesting comparison Paul. Given that NYC is a fairly expensive place (but maybe you got a break on tickets?) I'll add the experience Val & I have with Broadway road shows here in Orlando. We have seasons tickets to "Broadway Across America" shown at the Dr Phillips center downtown (a beautiful, modern facility). Our seats are not the most expensive, but definitely not the cheapest. We pay ~$78/seat/show, but could easily have bought tickets that are $300/seat/show. Those are for productions that run anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours. For example, we saw The Sound of Music in January and the show ran without intermission for somewhere around 100 minutes. But we just saw Kinky Boots last week and the show ran 2.5 hours with intermission.

No matter how a person looks at it, going to a broadway show for a few hours is much more expensive than hitting a park for a day.

No matter how a person looks at it, going to a broadway show for a few hours is much more expensive than hitting a park for a day.

Yup, my point is $125 for a full day at MK is not that expensive in comparison to many other forms of entertainment. Is a one day ticket to WDW more expensive than going on a picnic at a national forest? yes. Is it cheaper than a trip to Europe? yes. I guess it all depends on what you're willing to spend on vacation/entertainment. To each his own is my motto.

I have mixed feelings here. Obviously, as a frequent visitor, I'm not happy when they raise prices. My income doesn't go up to account for the higher costs of vacation or utilities or food or college tuition or anything else, so with each passing year, I get functionally poorer and poorer, so I totally understand the frustration here.

On the other hand, I don't think the Bora Bora analogy is that good. Why? Most of us have never been able to afford some exotic island vacation. That's very different than if you've been going to WDW every year for ages and now suddenly can no longer afford it. That's a lot harder to deal with. There are things we used to do that we really can't swing anymore because inflation has far outpaced my income. So I totally understand the complaining from someone who used to be able to go to Disney every year and now can only do it maybe every 2 or 3 years because costs have risen much faster than incomes.

Pete only mentions the extremes: the folks who keep coming just as often and the people who are going to stop coming entirely. I think the reality lies in the middle. There are likely a lot of people who will just come less often or they will come for shorter stays and spend less money while there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter