• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Soar or not to Soar? That is the question...

Oh and for the record motion simulators are usually the absolute worst and make me sick for hours afterwards. The old Body Wars ride was so bad you couldn't pay me to ride it again. Soarin' was very different though I think because it's very slow gentle movement.

I think it is the height mixed with the motion. I've been on the original a few times, and the last time on was with my eyes closed, clutching my dad who was seated next to me. The new version looks so cool, but I'm afraid I would have a panic attack if I tried it. I haven't tried meds, but maybe..

If it's the height thing, can you do up the loop in the middle when you buckle? I used to do that - otherwise I'd feel like I could just fall out. For some dumb reason, having the strap looped onto the buckle made me feel safer. Of course I wasn't going to fall out without the strap, but I just felt like I was going to. And as others have stated, ask for the third (lowest) row. In the old show, that row made me feel like I was on the ground.

Simulator rides are awful for me. When I was a child, nothing bothered me, but for some reason, age/pregnancies have caused motion sickness issues now that I'm in my 30s. I actually did feel mildly queasy on Soarin' the first time I rode it. I realize I'm an outlier, per the folks above, but I wanted to mention it just in case. It was NOTHING like Star Tours, which made me want to flee/vomit. I decided to try out the OTC motion sickness med meclizine on our last parks visit to see if that helped, rather than just continue to avoid rides, which sucks. And it did, very well in fact. I had zero issues on Soarin', and Star Tours was actually ok. FWIW - it's not the height, or the very mild motion on Soarin' - it's the visual effect, entirely. Meclizine is the perfect solution for me; non-drowsy, and I don't miss anything fun. For a quick fix, just look away from the screen or close your eyes to see if that helps - you'll miss the cool parts, but it's better than feeling sick.

I'm seriously considering trying medication the next time I take one of my older kids. I'm so nervous that it won't work for me though. I have feeling sick like that, but I've been avoiding rides for about more than 30yrs now. =( Last year I sent my adventerous 9yr old on everything by herself (just waited line line with her and then at the exit...it sucked, but she had fun). It was Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain when I was 9yrs old that did me in...I've avoided most rides ever since...I've even had bad experiences on some carousels, but then I was pregnant at the time...

I think you will be good. It basically goes up and stays there. The movie takes up your whole view. I never hear or saw anyone scream or act like they were getting sick from it.

You would have if you were on my ride. Scared the hell out of me that Soarin....lol

I thought I was gonna fall off and die.

I'm seriously considering trying medication the next time I take one of my older kids. I'm so nervous that it won't work for me though. I have feeling sick like that, but I've been avoiding rides for about more than 30yrs now. =( Last year I sent my adventerous 9yr old on everything by herself (just waited line line with her and then at the exit...it sucked, but she had fun). It was Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain when I was 9yrs old that did me in...I've avoided most rides ever since...I've even had bad experiences on some carousels, but then I was pregnant at the time...
Honestly, it's worth trying! I went on everything when I was younger. I vividly remember riding Space Mountain over and over with my sister when we were kids, plus all the roller coasters at our local Six Flags. I don't remember any of them causing me problems. Having my eldest child just threw off my equilibrium, I guess! I even threw up on an airplane when she was little, which really caught me off guard. I sort of accepted that I would be the big bummer in the family, avoiding rides like my mom did when I was a kid. I never knew much about motion sickness meds other than dramamine, which knocks me out, so it was only earlier this year when I was researching for a cruise and read about meclizine that I decided to give that a try for our last parks visit. It didn't make me drowsy at all and worked so well. I'm kicking myself that I didn't try it years ago. I use it on planes now too. Maybe try it out before going on a less-adventurous ride first and see how it works? Not Mission Space or Star Tours!! I'll tack on sea bands for those too.

I've never gotten motion sickness or car sickness or dizzy from rides in my life... until I rode Soarin'. I can do all the rollercoasters and spinning rides and boats you can throw at me, but something about Soarin' just makes me dizzy and lightheaded and I feel sick the rest of the day. I've done it a couple of times, thinking I might have just been having an off day the first time, and I had the same reaction both times. I think it all just depends on you as an individual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter