To parkhop or not to parkhop that is the question...

How about during a holiday week? We are visiting July 1-5 and I planned on not getting hoppers as I am concerned at capacity closings and would hate to leave one park and not be able to get into the other.

We are WDW vets, and we never go to DLR without hopping. Being WDW vets, DLR is like one big park. The 2 parks are only separated by a plaza about the size of a football field and you do not go through security between the parks. Where hopping at WDW is often an hour or more process, hopping at DLR is 5 minutes. We have literally gotten from the rear of DL by Toontown to the rear of CA back on the pier in 10 minutes. We go back and forth most days. We would feel boxed in without hoppers. We also like the flexibility that on a crowded day we can look at the wait times and if they are shorter in the other park, we can just hop over. We aren't constrained by ADRs etc. like we are at WDW, because we can just hop back and forth at will in a short period of time. There is no time investment in hopping because of the proximaty and ease of switching parks.

I would hop, especially with maxpass. On our last trip, DL opened before DCA so we would go to DL for an hour or so, get one DL FP that had immediate return, and then book a DCA FP that would generally run out by noon (RSR, GOTG.) Those would be 11-12 returns or whatever at that point, so we could spend a couple hours at DL, go over to DCA for big rides, and then either stay at DCA or go back to DL depending on what we wanted to do.

Thanks OP, due to the overwhelming responses in favor, I've decided to spend yet another $90 on top of the $660 already spent for 4 days next week, to try hoppers for the first time in about 40 visits over the years. I'm afraid once I see what all the hoopla is about, I'll never go without hoppers again. Maybe that's why I've never splurged on them. :rolleyes:

I called and was told to upgrade at the ticket booths. I plan to first go in Sat. to do the 7am MM. When going out to upgrade before hopping to DCA, do I have to go out past security?

We've always gotten PH tickets, but didn't always hop very much. However, if you are using Maxpass, park hopping is awesome. On our most recent trip we would do Disneyland in the morning and line up fast passes for DCA for the evening while we took an afternoon break.

I called and was told to upgrade at the ticket booths. I plan to first go in Sat. to do the 7am MM. When going out to upgrade before hopping to DCA, do I have to go out past security?

No, you won't have to go through security again. The ticket booths will be in between the two park gates so you will come to them as you cross the esplanade to go over to DCA.

Thanks OP, due to the overwhelming responses in favor, I've decided to spend yet another $90 on top of the $660 already spent for 4 days next week, to try hoppers for the first time in about 40 visits over the years. I'm afraid once I see what all the hoopla is about, I'll never go without hoppers again. Maybe that's why I've never splurged on them. :rolleyes:

LOL!! Sorry, but sounds like it will be money well spent.

Looking into tickets for our trip at the end of August. It is our first ever trip to DL and will have four day tickets. Price difference is $225 So do we hop or no? TIA
We chose park hopper option for same time frame. We were back and forth every day. That way too we weren't locked to a park due to do dinner reservation or show. If you can add max pass I recommend that too so you can book a fast pass in the other park before heading over (great for headliners such as RSR, Guardians and Soarin).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter