To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I'm glad you didn't get sick until after Dopey! But it's no fun being sick at all so I hope you feel better soon! I finally am feeling better after getting my mom's plague when I got home from vacation. It's a bad year for sickness this year!

I'm glad you didn't get sick until after Dopey! But it's no fun being sick at all so I hope you feel better soon! I finally am feeling better after getting my mom's plague when I got home from vacation. It's a bad year for sickness this year!

Me too! Starting to feel better, but I can tell it's going to take time. Glad to hear you are also feeling better!

Nice negative split @canglim52 !

Sorry to hear about the sinusitis, it can be a real bummer. Luckily you don't have any 5k/10ks signed up (that I know of!) so it won't throw your training off. Hopefully you'll be at 100% to start your new training cycle!

Sorry to hear about the sinusitis, it can be a real bummer. Luckily you don't have any 5k/10ks signed up (that I know of!) so it won't throw your training off. Hopefully you'll be at 100% to start your new training cycle!

Agreed, but the antibiotics at least seems like it's doing the trick. I'll be interested to see how I feel after this is over. I've had extra mucus during running for the since September. So I wonder if that's in any way related.

Yea, no planned races until at least 4/1. I haven't signed up for anything yet anyways. The Daniels cycle starts 2/27 so lots of time to still get healthy. Legs felt pretty good after this weekend's runs.

How about you? How are you feeling in advance of your race next weekend?

It's official, my mom is all signed up for Dopey 2018. In addition, the family has committed to another Disney trip. We put in our DVC rental request this morning for 3 Boardwalk Studios.

My mom, G, Steph, and I will leave on 1/2 (Tues). Enjoy the parks and race week. Then we'll say goodbye to my mom and do the second half of the trip with Steph's parents (and potentially aunt/cousin) from 1/7 (Sunday) till 1/11 (Thursday). Sounds like a plan!

Thanks for virtually cheering me on! Your plan had me so prepared and half marathons are my new favorite :-) it was a crazy run and I learned a lot including never ingest beet juice on empty stomach before a race lol

Happy to help! Can't say I've ever had beet juice before let alone on an empty stomach. Just another step in your endurance journey!

Happy to help! Can't say I've ever had beet juice before let alone on an empty stomach. Just another step in your endurance journey!

It's not bad, I usually mix it with another Juice because it's too much all by itself. Supposedly it's really good for you're heart, as long as you're not using mouth wash. You need good bacteria in mouth to convert the beet juice to nitrate. I have a family history with heart disease, so I have a little in my recovery smoothie every day. It also supposedly improves performance, hence the glass of beet juice this morning... figured what the heck can't hurt right?! Wrong! Here is the article that persuaded me lol

http://gawker.com/5929716/all-the-olympic-athletes-are-guzzling-beet-juice

That said I swear by casein protein and tart cherry right before bed.

I use it to make diet for my scientific research.

I've read some ppl say protein poweder is a waste and can lead to colon cancer. Others swear by it as a building block for their nutrition... since you don't use it yourself, is there any info you could share from your research that keeps you away from it?

I've read some ppl say protein poweder is a waste and can lead to colon cancer. Others swear by it as a building block for their nutrition... since you don't use it yourself, is there any info you could share from your research that keeps you away from it?

Well my specific research is on Vitamin D and not on the protein powder itself, but...

I personally use whey protein powder in my Oatmeal Banana Peanut Butter Protein Bars. I use Bob's Red Mill brand. It costs more than what you can get from other sources.

I am VERY hesitant to use any supplements as they don't have to follow the strict guidelines of the FDA (especially the "claims" of what they can or can't do specifically). Too many horror stories of the awful things they've put in "supplements" that don't pass the sniff test. Thus, that might be where the "Protein powder is a waste and can lead to colon cancer" might come from. Although I haven't specifically heard that claim. It might not be the protein powder but the other junk thrown in there that could be the culprit.

But I have heard numerous claims of ingredients in supplements that just shouldn't be in there.

In the end I am a big believer in bioavailability. Simply taking in certain things (like excess protein) may not work/absorb appropriately without the other micronutrients that are normally associated with "normal" foods. Although I am not a nutritionist, but one of my superiors is a nutrition science major so I've heard her stories. So I try to take in most of my protein, carbs, fats, vitamins, amino acids, etc. through "normal" foods and less through supplements or combinations of vitamins/etc.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as this is not my specialty. So this is more one person to another than anything I've extensively researched.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter