To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and myself (both seniors) went twice (oct. 2020, Feb 2021) for 4 days each time, before the vaccines were even being offered. Masks were required everywhere when we were there. We are locals and don’t have to fly. We were fine. I worked for a local health department for 13 years, and will admit I am a bit OCD about washing my hands and keeping them away from my face.

We went last Nov. and this Feb. Feb we were vaxxed and wore masks indoor and out per Disney rules. We loved the social distancing! We did no rides, stayed at YC and walked into Epcot, the only park we went to. We have reservations Oct.31-Nov.2 and doing the same as before, walk into Epcot and no rides. I have no problem wearing a mask and still do here on the Space Coast. I love having a personal bubble and did so post and pre. IF I read about more crowding in lines and less mask compliance I may cancel.

Take your own hand sanitizer and use it when ever you leave a ride, attraction or store. For years I have avoided touching the railing in the ride lines as much as possible. With everyone touching them, dirty backpacks resting on them and I’ve see little kids put their mouth on them, they must be some of the dirtiest things at Disney.

In regards to positive cases at the parks: when travel planning, I find it helpful to look at average daily cases and/or hospitalizations in the county of interest. For a theme park with considerable crowds such as WDW, I then just make the assumption that the risk of infection is much higher.

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m looking for some info and others perspective.
First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios? What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?
Are there any reports of people quarantine in there rooms (onsite properties) ?
We are suppose to leave for. 20 day trip beginning on Aug. 10. (Doing Universal and WDW) my wife and I are vaccinated and have two children 8 and 10 (thank god are in good health) but of course to young to be vaccinated.
We are early risers and rope droppers, and mid day breakers. So I understand the expectations with lines and so on, but it is the risk of the children being infected and having to be quarantined for a majority of the trip.
Looking for some friendly but honest advice. Thank you.

Last edited:

it's definitely a personal choice of whether to go or not go, only you can decide comfortably what to do
We had a trip planned for November 2021 just me and my 22 year old grandson, both vaccinated but I decided this week to push it to April 2022.
Hopefully things will be better by then and more stuff will be back to "normal" and maybe, just maybe a few new rides will be ready

it's definitely a personal choice of whether to go or not go, only you can decide comfortably what to do
Completely agree. We had a trip scheduled for last October and cancelled as we were not comfortable going then. We went in April and enjoyed ourselves. We have another trip planned for October and currently are on the fence if we will go. While we are vaccinated, the increasing numbers are worrisome to us. Luckily, we still have plenty of time to decide.

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m looking for some info and others perspective.
First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios? What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?
Are there any reports of people quarantine in there rooms (onsite properties) ?
We are suppose to leave for. 20 day trip beginning on Aug. 10. (Doing Universal and WDW) my wife and I are vaccinated and have two children 8 and 10 (thank god are in good health) but of course to young to be vaccinated.
We are early risers and rope droppers, and mid day breakers. So I understand the expectations with lines and so on, but it is the risk of the children being infected and having to be quarantined for a majority of the trip.
Looking for some friendly but honest advice. Thank you.
I am here for the same reason. Trying to stay in Dis guidelines.. todays florida headlines has me really thinking about it.
I was really looking forward to a few park days with the kids before school starts.

I feel like there was a period of time where vaccines started becoming more available to everyone and Disney was enforcing lower capacity/distancing/masks/plexiglass/etc, and it made a lot of us feel more comfortable and allowed ourselves to get a bit excited for our trips this summer and fall.
Unfortunately I think now we're seeing lower than expected vaccination rates, a more concerning variant (even for those fully vaccinated), and very minimal safety protocols at the park, and that's given me pause certainly. I feel like if this was a year ago I would've cancelled my upcoming trips without hesitancy, but after almost 2 years of not going to the park (or doing much of anything), getting seriously ill from the first strain of this virus, and all the fomo that comes along will following Disney happenings so closely, I just want to go 😭

We were there June 13-20th did Universal and Disney. 7 vaccinated adults. We did not wear masks, except on Disney transportation.

Both parks felt prepandemic and were crowded. We had a great time and are glad we went.

But, if we had younger unvaccinated kids and with cases higher now with Delta, I think I would have to think long and hard.

Cases are high in my state in Mississippi and every day I hear of someone else I know testing positive, most are vaccinated.

Our family has returned to caution and precautions and mask wearing this week.

I can only offer my own experience. I went to WDW in July, August, and December 2020, as well as late April/early May 2021. I did not catch Covid on my trips. I did follow all the mitigation rules that Disney required for each trip (and they weren’t all the same) and I was fully vaccinated for the last trip (hit my two week mark on check in day). I did have the privilege of being able to quarantine myself for two weeks prior to and upon return from all the 2020 trips, so I was sure I wasn’t carrying any disease in, and not spreading any germs when I got home (the 2020 trips were all solo). My sister and BIL joined me on the 2021 trip, are fully vaccinated and did not get sick.

I do have a trip planned for the anniversary weekend, and I plan to mask, sanitize, and social distance as much as is practical, similar to how the trips in 2020 were handled, especially now that the variant that emerged in Colombia has arrived in south Florida and we do not know how bad that one may be yet or how fast it may spread. I plan to do this for myself, and do not expect anyone else to do more than what the current rules require. If the rules end up being more strict at that time than what I have planned to do, I will follow the new rules. Any travel during Covid is a risk, and each family has to determine their own comfort level with that risk. As a single person who does not have to interact with anyone else on a regular basis, I may feel comfortable taking on more risk than a family with members who are not eligible for the vaccine or who cannot get it because of medical issues.

If you are wavering, I do recommend knowing all of your cancellation deadlines and options so if you do decide to postpone or cancel, you will have minimal financial issues to deal with.

Disney has reporting system for CMs and quarantines any person that tests positive and does contact tracing. I spoke with a CM about it when we were there in December. Don’t know if it’s changed since then. I would think/hope if there was a huge outbreak they would have a mitigation plan in place.

Wear masks, wash your hands, and clean frequently. Don’t drink out of water fountains. Don’t do QS, instead do sit down. This will allow you a mask break for an hour and you will be distanced from others depending on where you are at. Hope you fun!

With cautious but increasing optimism, we rebooked our cancelled Nov 2020 trip for the end of November, 2021. There are 6 of us, age range 16 to 60’s, all fully vaccinated. With each day that passes, our optimism is fading and I can see us cancelling again. this would be a crushing disappointment on so many levels, but we are not going “at all cost” as what we do can affect those we love, those who depend on us, and those who we don’t even know.

We, also, were supposed to go last year. As it stands, DH and I are going in September (our tickets are good until September 26) and we are taking my sister in law. I'm also closely watching. We are all vaccinated, but my SIL has lung issues and has to be in a wheelchair because of her inability to get her breath. I know she will be disappointed but I'm at the turn tail and run point. We also have a trip booked April 2022 with my son and family (they, too, were set to go with us last year) I'm hanging on, but because I'm hoping for another expiration reset on our tickets. I also want to go ahead and convert my son (and family)'s tickets from last year, but hanging on to those as well.
I know threads like these can go south in a hurry, but I appreciate the info. I know it's hard to determine where you may have picked up the virus, but people returning from an Orlando trip testing positive is, in my opinion, important information.

We are booked at the end of August at BWI because our home resort POR was closed. We have a five day stay in February at POR also booked. I said when Disney finally reopened a year ago I would give them my money in support. Well I am not going to be a liar. I am going to give them support during this period in history. If lines are long we will enjoy the scenery. We will eat at good TS restaurants. We will get crocked with others in the hotel and share Covid stories. We enjoy the pools, Mandara, waterparks and just be in the bubble. We can afford it this time with a discount.

The next time though I expect clean parks, shows, housekeeping and Yehaa Bob.

Got a trip booked for late October. Will probably end up canceling again. Doing this and that to try to avoid a virus does not sound fun at all. There is another surge going on right now, and going to a theme park does not sound appealing at all.

Honestly, it was pretty common to come home from, or get sick at Disney before the pandemic. Even with all the precautions you can imagine, the only way to completely avoid exposure is to stay home (and even that hasn't seemed to be a sure thing). Everything is risk management now - what are you willing to risk/what must you avoid?

We had no issues coming here last August- it was safer than home. We are here now and feel the opposite way. There is a high positivity rate here right now. To think no one around you has Covid, when there are thousands of people around you, would be a mistake. We are all vaccinated, but for the most part we are keeping our masks on inside and outside. It's crowded. It was hard to watch kids who are too young to be vaccinated sit in lines for 30-60 minutes inside with no masks- it only takes one person. At least now there are masks inside. If you don't want your kids to get Covid- I wouldn't come or I would be very mask vigilant realizing they don't work as well unless everyone is wearing them. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. I hate Covid!

With cautious but increasing optimism, we rebooked our cancelled Nov 2020 trip for the end of November, 2021. There are 6 of us, age range 16 to 60’s, all fully vaccinated. With each day that passes, our optimism is fading and I can see us cancelling again. this would be a crushing disappointment on so many levels, but we are not going “at all cost” as what we do can affect those we love, those who depend on us, and those who we don’t even know.
We have a trip booked for the last days of November into December and I’m starting to think it may be best to cancel or push it back. Me and my spouse are vaccinated but our two kids are too young and it’s hard for us to justify going. We only get to go every 2-3 years or so and with prices to the moon and less things to do on top of rising covid cases it doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter