• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To AP or not to AP

jend

Earning My Ears
Hi all. We took our Disney trip 5/30 thru 6/8 and loved it so much we HAVE to go back! Thanks for all the advice on where to stay, etc.

Now my new question. We are considering getting AP's but need to determine how much that will save on the room to see if it is worth it for us (since we are in KS we can't go there as much as we'd like).

However, when I try and find out what the rooms will cost with the AP discount, it seems you have to HAVE the AP to see the AP rates?? I'm so confused as it would seem that it would be a great selling tool to show what great rates they have to try and get people to buy the darn APs.

Called Disney today and asked them for the rates for 11/27 - 12/4 and the CM that I spoke with said that they aren't out yet - which doesn't make sense if I'm reading some of your posts correctly. He said to call back in mid to late Sept which I KNOW is wrong because then it will be closer than 120 days!! How can I find out approx what savings I will get on the room side so I will know whether the APs are a good option for us? (We are AAA members and can get that discount otherwise).

Any help that you all have would be appreciated since you all seem to be experts. :-)

Thanks bunches. :earsgirl:

jend said:
Now my new question. We are considering getting AP's but need to determine how much that will save on the room to see if it is worth it for us (since we are in KS we can't go there as much as we'd like).

However, when I try and find out what the rooms will cost with the AP discount, it seems you have to HAVE the AP to see the AP rates?? I'm so confused as it would seem that it would be a great selling tool to show what great rates they have to try and get people to buy the darn APs.
Yes, you have to have an annual pass or a voucher to see the annual pass rates via the web site. Interesting, but it never occurred to me that this will actually make it tougher for non-passholders to compare against the discounts. I suppose it will be possible to post a generalized discount on boards such as these for each of the resort catagories, but it won't be etched in stone (and I wonder if they can actually move the offered -as opposed to booked, which will only move down- 'best rate' prices up to match a higher 'normal' ap offer).
jend said:
Called Disney today and asked them for the rates for 11/27 - 12/4 and the CM that I spoke with said that they aren't out yet - which doesn't make sense if I'm reading some of your posts correctly. He said to call back in mid to late Sept which I KNOW is wrong because then it will be closer than 120 days!! How can I find out approx what savings I will get on the room side so I will know whether the APs are a good option for us? (We are AAA members and can get that discount otherwise).
The CM is referring to the 'normal' ap codes, which aren't subject to the 120 day restriction and haven't been released yet.. The other restrictions may or may not apply... others might have more info regarding that. Not sure how long it takes to get an ap voucher, so even if you got one it might not be within the 120 day limit for web booking.

The decision on an ap is now tougher than ever, and probably should not be based on the availability of room discounts anyway, especially when travel is in an upswing. There are other benefits besides the possibility of room discounts. You only have to visit the parks for just over 10/11 days (renewal/initial ap purchase) for it to start paying dividends. We live in CT, but have 17 days on our ap's in two trips, so they were worth it even without the room discounts. They were very nice icing on the cake though ;). And there are mechandise and food discounts, as well as the DDE discount and special opportunities. Note too that the packages including food are often way better than the offered room discounts, so the room discounts alone are not a good reason to go ap.

For our part, we have two ap's that will be up for renewal in December. Rather than renew both, or let them lapse and get a voucher for the next trip, I am probably going to renew one now and get a new voucher for our next planned trip in May 06. By doing that, I can always let one lapse but still have one active if a good deal happens to show up, and it also spreads the expense out and away from the holiday season.

Bottom line is that it isn't a black or white decision. If you plan on spending close to the 11.something days that it takes to break even on the park admission, then at least 1 ap is probably a good bet. It isn't terribly more expensive than a ten day MYW, and the other perks can offset the difference if you use them. Otherwise, I'd just use your AAA discount, or watch for other packages. From what I have seen, if you use the AAA discount for estimating purposes it will probably be close as there doesn't seem to be a large difference between the two at the moment. Just remember that it will be a ballpark figure...

This is our 2nd year to have AP's. We normally stay at Deluxe resorts and the discount is usually approx. $70 to $100 off per night. We usually go in regular season, sometimes value season.

If you buy AP's, you could also buy a Disney Dining Experience card for $50 that is good for one year. It gives you 20% off at most sit-down restaurants, including all character meals. It's a good deal.

Since we only technically have to pay for passes for our first trip of the year, we find that we can stay in nicer resorts for the next 2 trips because we don't have to pay for passes too.

We seem to have a different attitude about going to the parks now that we have AP's. When we had hoppers, we used to feel pressured to make the most out of a park day once we got inside. Now, with the AP's, we seem to take our time more. We often enjoy a pool day at our Epcot resort and then just walk in to Epcot for dinner. Or if we're staying at an MK resort, we enjoy a pool day at that resort and then walk or monorail over to MK for Wishes. If we had hoppers, we wouldn't waste a park day for those things. We just feel like we have more freedom with AP's, if that makes sense.

Good points by you both! I wish we had gotten the APs before our June trip, but we didn't even think about it. But we did get the dinig plan with that and it sounds like you can't get that with the AP disounted rooms? Do you get discounts on the Disney Cruise lines also with the AP or is that separate entirely?

Is there any reason to have APs for both adults or just one? and then use MYW for the other if you are only going to make it twice?

Does anyone have a guess what POFQ would cost for 11/27 for 7 nights at the AP rate? Thanks.

jend said:
Good points by you both! I wish we had gotten the APs before our June trip, but we didn't even think about it. But we did get the dinig plan with that and it sounds like you can't get that with the AP disounted rooms? Do you get discounts on the Disney Cruise lines also with the AP or is that separate entirely?
My understanding is that you had to pay rack rate and at least 1 day MYW entry to qualify for the dining plan, which was then good the length of your stay. Others are welcome to correct me there, as I didn't participate in that so I am only going on hearsay ("Only trust those who have actually touched what they are talking about"... thank you Dr. Shigo!). I suspect the one day requirement (if that is what was indeed required) was an unforseen loophole that might be closed in the future.
jend said:
Is there any reason to have APs for both adults or just one? and then use MYW for the other if you are only going to make it twice?
Twice? Twice * 1 day, or twice * 7 days, or twice in one day :confused3 ???? You have to be a little more specific.
My understanding is that you can still reserve three rooms on the one annual pass (see above disclaimer ;) ). Thus, one pass is probably sufficient if you are doing it solely for the room discount and don't expect to meet or exceed 11 days in a year. However, as mentioned before, that is probably the wrong reason to choose an ap. If I didn't expect to meet or exceed the number of days to break even on the ap cost, I would probably go MYW. All things are subject to change of course, and if you don't need the MYW 'no expiration' clause, ie you can buy and use the exact number of days you need for each trip, it will take more days to break even. Hmmm.. gotta figure that one out. But then that isn't considering room or other discounts. Ultimately, we like the flexibility of not having to think about "are we gonna get to use all our days", and being able to decide on the spur of the moment that "Gee, let's go to WDW 120 days from now" (talk about spontaneous :rotfl2: ), knowing that it's just airfare, lodging, and food. And of those, it would cost us about the same minus the airfare to go away for a week regionally! As TJA said, it does change how you view the parks when your entry is already covered.
jend said:
Does anyone have a guess what POFQ would cost for 11/27 for 7 nights at the AP rate? Thanks.
I got nothing for POFQ, but both POR and CBR came up ~$734.00.

Totally agree with TJA - everything he says applies to our family also, except we're from the UK and the bulk of our cost goes on the flights, so we don't stay in deluxes all the time, but we still save a fortune.

Will have stayed in WDW for nearly five weeks on this year's AP's and saved lots just on park entrance - which is what you should base your decision on - the discount on the rooms is a (big) bonus. Have saved $70 per night on deluxe(WL) and $20 (or was it $30) per night on value (POP) and $50 on a moderate (POFQ) so far. Still waiting for traditional AP rates for October - but if we don't get them - hey we'll still be going nevertheless - but possibly in a value.

Agree, don't buy an AP for a room discount. That is a perk, not the intention for the AP. AP room discounts have never been guaranteed.
To me the side perks of an AP are nice, but not that common either (beyond a posible room discount).

When we lived in Pa we got annual passes. We had just the regular AP. We had been doing 1 trip per year. Then we wised up and got the annual passes and did 2 trips almost a year a part. For us, it was worth it between the Money saved on tickets and the room. Then we moved to Central FL. The Florida resident PAP wasn't that much more than the out of state annual pass, so we got the PAP.

When we were out of state residents, some years we just broke even, but most years we were ahead of the game. It is nice to be able to return on subsequent trips and not have to worry about paying for admission.

With one trip in Jun and one now we would definitely have done well with the AP - room discount or no - like you said - the room discount would have just been an "extra perk" and not the reason to get it.

BTW - what are the extra perks - besides discounts in shops? Someone at the parks said something about Fastpass benefits - is there such a thing? Thanks

Anyway - when I said "twice" before I meant two trips (7day probably - 7day MYW bases or 7 day MYW w/ hopper if not AP).

If we go in December on a trip and then again sometime before next December it definitely seems to be worth it from a park-entry standpoint - but like I said - wanted to see if just one trip - 8 days in the parks would make it worth it from the room discount standpoint. THEN the fact that we already had the AP might enable me to talk DH into going again in the next 12 months because "after all - we already have the pass anyway!" Yes - I'm scheming. LOL! :cheer2: But it's for a good cause. So that's why I'm trying the comparisons that way. But I'm totally open to hearing the pros and cons for the other reasons.

Thanks gullyf for checking the rate. $734 is better than $835 for AAA but not that much better so you guys are right. Why do you suppose that POFQ isn't showing as available? Can somone check and see if that has changed? (Just standard view)?? The WDWinfo webiste said to expect $89/night. Is that through the "old way" and not the "best rate" program?

YOu guys said that the free dining was only available for folks that paid full rack rates right? I wonder if they will extend for December? But may not matter when you only have 2 adults and one child (since the 2 year old is free anyway)?

One last thing - are the WDW Christmas festivities worth it?? (We are Christmas nuts) - but the "guidebooks" said that it can be so crowded that it "isn't worth it". Since we love Christmas stuff so much - though - ....

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts guys!! :love:
Jen
Mommy of Mandy 5 1/2
and Zachary 2 1/2

TJA has it sooooo right. Our AP's have totally changed the way we do Disney.

We will go for just an afternoon or evening when we are in FL. I have only planned 2 actual trips to Disney since our AP's but have used them for quick visits when in Deltona. I have figured out that since Nov. I have used my AP about 20 times (and I'm not done yet) and have been able to enjoy the little things at each park. We also take advantage of DDE, the discount at World of Disney, free theme park parking and this last trip, AP rate at CBR.

Christmas is one of the best times to go!

Unless you are going just before the holiday, the parks are not very busy and value season rates apply. The parks and resorts are all decked out in their finest christmas attire. Try for the 1st or 2nd week of December.

Ahhh, the ultimate question.

We AP if we're not sure if we will be going twice in a year. The discounts make up for any overage in cost.

jend said:
BTW - what are the extra perks - besides discounts in shops? Someone at the parks said something about Fastpass benefits - is there such a thing? Thanks
No fastpass benefit as far as I know. Probably best to look at the passholder site for the most current information on what the pass does for you, as it changes from time to time. There is a link on many of the Disney web pages. It doesn't get too specific, but saves a lot of typing!
You can check out sites like MouseSavers.com and AllEarsNet.com as well.
jend said:
Anyway - when I said "twice" before I meant two trips (7day probably - 7day MYW bases or 7 day MYW w/ hopper if not AP).
A 7 day MYW parkhopper is $223, $278 with the no expiration option (which you probably wouldn't need for two 7-day visits). The annual pass is $395. So you are looking at $446 vs $395 (I am ignoring taxes for simplicity and because its been a long day!), which means a $51 +/- savings in itself. Tack on the $100 savings on the room and now you are at $150. Toss in the other potential discounts and you may be looking at a saving a little more. Save a bundle? No, but maybe two decent sit-down dinners for two people. It all adds up.
jend said:
If we go in December on a trip and then again sometime before next December it definitely seems to be worth it from a park-entry standpoint - but like I said - wanted to see if just one trip - 8 days in the parks would make it worth it from the room discount standpoint. THEN the fact that we already had the AP might enable me to talk DH into going again in the next 12 months because "after all - we already have the pass anyway!" Yes - I'm scheming. LOL! :cheer2: But it's for a good cause. So that's why I'm trying the comparisons that way. But I'm totally open to hearing the pros and cons for the other reasons.
An 8 day MYW ticket is $226. Add the $100 you mention saving on the room and you are at $326. Don't think you are going to make up the $69 in other discounts.. great excuse for a second trip if you ask me! :)
jend said:
Thanks gullyf for checking the rate. $734 is better than $835 for AAA but not that much better so you guys are right. Why do you suppose that POFQ isn't showing as available? Can somone check and see if that has changed? (Just standard view)?? The WDWinfo webiste said to expect $89/night. Is that through the "old way" and not the "best rate" program?
Discounts are just not as steep this year due to increased travel. Hey, we bought our annual passes initially because with them we were able to get Wilderness Lodge for a ridiculously low rate in December like two years ago. Not going to see that again for while, I am sure.
jend said:
YOu guys said that the free dining was only available for folks that paid full rack rates right? I wonder if they will extend for December? But may not matter when you only have 2 adults and one child (since the 2 year old is free anyway)?
Again, MouseSavers, AllEars or even this board has more detail on that. They might do it again, they might not. You puts down yer money and you takes yer chances...
jend said:
One last thing - are the WDW Christmas festivities worth it?? (We are Christmas nuts) - but the "guidebooks" said that it can be so crowded that it "isn't worth it". Since we love Christmas stuff so much - though - ....
Never been on the actual Christmas holiday, but we have been in early December twice now, once the second week and once the third week. It was an extremely enjoyable time and the atmosphere is quite amazing. I initially missed the classic Disney music, but missed the Christmas music when we were down this spring. Some people are just never satisfied :confused3. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party was quite fun, and overall if you like the Christmas season you'll love WDW at that time of year.
We found the second week less crowded for the most part, but both were enjoyable. You do need to consider special events that may be taking place, like the PopWarner event in the second week. It generally isn't too bad, but we did have to put put up with teenagers that were away from their "handlers" on a couple of occasions.
Hope this has been a help...

It has been a great help. Everything that you guys have said has been. Still wondering why the POFQ isn't showing any discount on the board..... (me being mystified..

Okay I'm typing this with the kids and the little one keeps yellking "Hello" and waving at the little waving guy, so I'm putting him in the message so he can see it waving back at him. And the 5 yr. old wants the prate for the Pirates of the Carribbean ride so here goes even though they don't fit into the message.. :-)
:wave: (for Zach)

pirate: (for Mandy)
I definitely want to come at Christmastime though. I'm convinced we would really love it and have never done it before. It joes sounds magical. Just need to figure out the most cost-effective way to pull it off. The only other obstacle - DH thinks it is a CRIME to pull a child out of school but I think she will be okay missing one week of kindergarten!
One last wave for the kids.

:thewave:

Jen
Mommy to Mandy 5 1/2
and Zach 2 1/2

Hey - How do you insert the cute family pics??

Just so you know I got 109 for POFQ 12-11 tru 12-18 under Best Rate just the other day through my Travel Agent. So 7 days would be 763.00 plus tax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter