• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To AP or not to AP?

Linc82

Earning My Ears
Hello all... Need some help determining whether I should get the annual pass this year...
The Platinum Pass at $749/pp appears to be the only one still on offer.

I have a trip coming up and have spent $1200 on 4 day tickets (4 people). I am planning to return next year for one trip - ranging from 2 days in the parks to 6 days in the parks. So in a year, I may spend 10 days (which I understand in the past was a break even for an AP).

I have two kids that would travel with me, one of whom will turn 9 next year. We will not use the water park option.

I have already purchased Memory Maker for this trip.

Now the interesting part... due to some interesting circumstances, I already have 5 day park tickets for 4 people which were purchased at the beginning of the year (they don't appear to have an expiration date). I also have 4 one day park hoppers.

Now for the questions...
As I understand it, both the Memory Maker cost and the tickets I already purchased will be deducted from the cost of an AP. True?
Assuming I plan to return annually, is this worth it?

Sorry I do not have helpful advice, but the AP vs. no AP continues to float in my head, too. Following this thread!

1. As I understand it, both the Memory Maker cost and the tickets I already purchased will be deducted from the cost of an AP. True?

2. Assuming I plan to return annually, is this worth it?

1. Yes.
2. I'll guess that you mean return one or more times "within the year."
Yes, an AP can be a good choice.

(You can continue to hold onto those other "interesting circumstance" tickets for future use, if they don't list any expiration date.)

BTW, the "10-day break-even point" is usually discussed in regard to over 10 days in ONE trip. If you will be making more than one trip, the AP becomes even more cost effective, as the purchase price for two or more separate tickets is very high.

The current cost of two separate 4-day WDW Hoppers is over $840.00 (with tax.)
(And, they do NOT include the Memory Maker.)

The current cost of a Platinum AP (which is also a "hopper" and HAS Memory Maker) is just at $798.00 (with tax.)

Last edited:
Waitaminute....If you buy the Annual Pass, you don't have to pay the $149 for Memory Maker? All Memory Maker benefits are now included in AP benefits?

Waitaminute....If you buy the Annual Pass, you don't have to pay the $149 for Memory Maker? All Memory Maker benefits are now included in AP benefits?

Yes.
It's been this way for quite awhile.
(Of course, the AP price went up quite a bit, too.
And, EVERYONE in your party that has an AP "gets to buy" the Memory Maker
in the cost of the AP.)

HERE is Disney's AP pricing page.

Don't forget if you purchase your AP now, they throw in an extra month. For a limited time, you can get 13 months instead of 12 months. They send you vouchers which you redeem for APs when you arrive.

Dang. I recently purchased AP's for the family so I could make FP+ reservations for our December trip. I also bought Memory Maker while on my spending spree. The Memory Maker website clearly states that the purchase is non-refundable. I haven't linked my Memory Maker confirmation to anyone, do you think I could transfer it to a non-passholder?

Dang. I recently purchased AP's for the family so I could make FP+ reservations for our December trip. I also bought Memory Maker while on my spending spree. The Memory Maker website clearly states that the purchase is non-refundable. I haven't linked my Memory Maker confirmation to anyone, do you think I could transfer it to a non-passholder?

Call Disney.
They should offer you a refund in this case.

It's really a pretty straight forward issue...if you plan on 10 or more days in the parks in a 365 day period then an AP with all its discounts is a good buy.

Doug :goofy:

It's really a pretty straight forward issue...if you plan on 10 or more days in the parks in a 365 day period then an AP with all its discounts is a good buy.

Doug :goofy:
I need someone to explain this to me. I show a 10 day base ticket to be $426 after tax. Hopping is mostly useless IMO, but others may disagree on that.
Not sure how much MM costs separately, but even so doesn't one AP for the family cover everyone? Same with parking if staying off site.

This explanation is not needed for me per se, as I'm an AP holder. However, seeing as though I live 20 from WDW I do get a lot of family visiting who would like to know the best deal.

Thanks!

MG

I was struggling with this as well. Right now we have 6 day PH from UT that I bought before the last price increase. With the discounts and inclusion of MM it makes sense for us to do it, since we plan on a 3 or 4 day ticket in 2018. I think we are going to decide for sure once we see the bounce back offer next year. Can't do it until we get there any way, so we have tons of time to agonize over it!

Also don't forget about free parking if you are not staying at a resort, that adds up fast as well for money savings.

And last is there is additional room, dining and merch discounts so also do the math on if your dining plan is actually costing you more instead of just paying out of pocket with your ap discount. you migth save even more money by removing the dining plan from your reervation (but do the math).

I need someone to explain this to me. I show a 10 day base ticket to be $426 after tax. Hopping is mostly useless IMO, but others may disagree on that.
Not sure how much MM costs separately, but even so doesn't one AP for the family cover everyone? Same with parking if staying off site.

This explanation is not needed for me per se, as I'm an AP holder. However, seeing as though I live 20 from WDW I do get a lot of family visiting who would like to know the best deal.

Thanks!

MG

Yes, but that $426 only allows 10 days admission within a 14 day period. What's the cost of 2 5-day base tickets (for someone coming twice in one year, for example)? Then consider adding in MM, parking, and discounts, and for some folks the AP is a better deal. But you gotta do the math for your own situation.

Yes, but that $426 only allows 10 days admission within a 14 day period. What's the cost of 2 5-day base tickets (for someone coming twice in one year, for example)? Then consider adding in MM, parking, and discounts, and for some folks the AP is a better deal. But you gotta do the math for your own situation.
Clearly two 5 day passes changes the math.
You're right, you need to do the math.
That's sort of my point... can't make a blanket statement of 10 days is break even.

MG

Here is the cost breakdown with and without Park Hoppers

US citizens cant get a pass for longer than 10 days so anything over that starts the pricing over. You would have to use 16 days of non park hopper tickets to make the AP worth it (if you have no intention of hopping, you have to compare apples to apples.)

If you would have purchased the PH option anyway, the break eve day is on your 13th day.

BUT,

Since most of us don't go for 16 days straight, it would be more realistic to compare taking separate week long vacations.

A 7 day non park hopper pass plus a 7 day non park hopper pass comes to $740, making the AP slightly more expensive (by $9) but you get discounts and such plus free parking.

Your break even point is better when comparing PH. You actually save money by day 3 of your second trip.

My annual passes expire in a few days (so sad) but I entered the parks on 22 separate days and made numerous hops so I know I got my moneys worth even before counting the two times I drove (free parking) and the new AP discounts.

Attachments

• ap analysis.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 8
OK, my over analyzing kicked in. If you add up all of my trips this past year, broken down by how many days tickets for each individual trip, I would have paid $1,718 at gate prices for park hoppers. I'm happy I had APs.

I do have to warn, though, APs may seem like a savings but once you have them, you look for reasons to visit and you end up racking up hotel and food expenses.

I do have to warn, though, APs may seem like a savings but once you have them, you look for reasons to visit and you end up racking up hotel and food expenses.

This is so true. My wife's AP expires 12/12. We are trying to figure out how to make a trip just before it expires to "save money". Fingers crossed.

We currently have Disneyland Passports, but we have a December trip to WDW and just booked an early February trip back to WDW again to take advantage of the 25% off room offer (our Savanna view room at AKL in Feb is $40 less per night than a standard view room at Paradise Pier Hotel in March!)

At Disneyland we get 10% off merch and 10% off meals with our AP. Does WDW offer any extra incentives like room or food discounts? That may be something else to factor in to overall cost of your trip using an AP.

We will definitely be upgrading to AP's at WDW because it will be about $19 cheaper to get one AP for 2 trips than to pay separate ticket admissions (after tax) for each trip. Then, if we decided to go anytime for the rest of 2017 we already have "free" admission and "free" Memory Maker.

.... Does WDW offer any extra incentives like room or food discounts? That may be something else to factor in to overall cost of your trip using an AP.

There is an AP room discount but it is released sporadically throughout the year and for a limited number of rooms. I have managed to get eh discount in the past but this last AP year, I never managed to call at the right time or they were not offered when I wanted to go.

You do get 20% off all merchandise (except non Disney stores in Disney Springs) and you get between 10-20% off food at a list of 45 dining options.

And, of course, free parking

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

There is an AP room discount but it is released sporadically throughout the year and for a limited number of rooms. I have managed to get eh discount in the past but this last AP year, I never managed to call at the right time or they were not offered when I wanted to go.

You do get 20% off all merchandise (except non Disney stores in Disney Springs) and you get between 10-20% off food at a list of 45 dining options.

And, of course, free parking

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

Wow! 20%? That's pretty amazing. And a dining discount! So does Tables in Wonderland just expand upon your available restaurants? And TIW is only for AP holders, right? Those discounts should also effect OP's to AP or not AP conundrum! I could make an AP work in just one trip with 20% off merchandise!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter