Tips for staying entertained while waiting for shows

poseys

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to decide how much time I am willing to devote to getting a good spot for things like PTN and WOC. It will be me, MIL, DH and DD2.5. Do I just need to hold a spot with a blanket? If we all should be there, I would think DD would already be a bit worn out from the day? But what are some suggestions to keep yourself and/or family entertained while waiting? Eating dinner picnic style? Reading a book?...
Also, tips for staying cool when you can't escape the heat?

I'm trying to decide how much time I am willing to devote to getting a good spot for things like PTN and WOC. It will be me, MIL, DH and DD2.5. Do I just need to hold a spot with a blanket? If we all should be there, I would think DD would already be a bit worn out from the day? But what are some suggestions to keep yourself and/or family entertained while waiting? Eating dinner picnic style? Reading a book?...
Also, tips for staying cool when you can't escape the heat?
I don't own a cell phone and never will but i see lots of people on them all the time? Have you read the post about people holding spots with blankets? Just a heads up.

I don't own a cell phone and never will but i see lots of people on them all the time? Have you read the post about people holding spots with blankets? Just a heads up.
I was pretty sure it wasn't PC, that's why I want to make sure I can keep the family entertained. :)

You can totally hold a spot with a blanket but one person has to remain with the blanket.

Reading a book is great. Talking about your day. Or bring a deck of cards and play a card game.

You can totally hold a spot with a blanket but one person has to remain with the blanket.

Reading a book is great. Talking about your day. Or bring a deck of cards and play a card game.
Yes you can, but if its PC or not is a big talked out thread. We watched a guy go crazy one time at disneyworld because he was trying to hold a spot for 15 people all by himself and blanket, his blanket ended up all folded up in a pile. He went crying to a CM but they told him your party needs to stay with the blanket also or there is nothing they can do…I always felt it was rude myself? No cuts, no holding spots.

We did the picnic dinners whilst waiting for shows. As for keeping cool whilst there, we had one of those spray fans (absolutely invaluable!) a nice cold drink or an ice-cream 8-). I also found it could be some nice down-time after a busy day of walking around the parks however my kids were older than yours and they understood the need to sit and chill out while waiting for the show. As you have 3 adults I would think it ok for one of you to take her for a little walk if needed. Oh maybe a special treat for her like a bubble gun or other toy. Have fun

My son and I were there yesterday and waited about 3 hours. We watched Frozen on my phone, played I Spy, drew pictures, and pretended to be super heroes fighting spiders on top of the buildings with our super powers. A marching band came by 3 times, too. We also chatted with other people sitting there.

I'm not a real social person but I often talk to people near me in line.

I look things up on the internet or post updates on here when I'm in line or waiting for a show.

I play with DD or DGF. Or just sit down and relax with my eyes closed for a bit (if it's for a show like WOC or F!).

People watch and notice all the interesting outfits people wear to the parks. (The women wearing high heels at DL just kill me).

I definitely recommend a blanket, even if everyone is staying there while you wait. Eating, playing games and getting to know your neighbors will help pass the time.

image.jpg image.jpg We eat dinner and/or get ice cream. I actually really like these times. They are a nice break from the day.

Some of my favorite memories are of relaxing with my family, eating Gibson Girl ice cream cones on the curb of Main Street :) These pics are my kiddos last fall while we waited for the Pixar Parade

Last edited:
Added tip for those of you going when it's hot (like summer...): I discovered today after sitting on the ground for 3 hour waiting for the parade that it looks like the concrete was starting to cook my rear end (I have what feels like burn marks on my bum--not too fun). Bringing a blanket or towel isn't just for the faux pas of saving spots. You're also saving your butt.

Bring a blanket. Peoples opinion on this vary but I think as long as 1 or better yet 2 of you is there sitting on it being courteous its fine. When we go we are a family of 7 and we stake out spots a few hours in advance. We would eat supper picnic style on the blanket, people watch, talk about our day, play eye spy, then towards the end of the waiting the kids each got to go with Grandma and pick out a special treat from the candy store (candy apple, sucker, etc) to keep them entertained for the last bit. For the most part we all stayed, but there were times when a few of our 7 were gone to bathroom breaks, getting food or just went to peek into a store. As for the heat my Moms best trick is to wet your hat from the sink and plop it on your head, the water feels refreshing and trickles down your back!

Have a magical time!

I definitely recommend having a physical person to hold your spot. It just keep things fair for everyone. As far as making the time go by faster, there are lots of interactive games that you can download on your phone, many of them for free! And this may sound silly, but it is a lightweight and inexpensive idea. We always keep a package of multicolored pipe cleaners in our bag. It may not hold everyone's attention for a super long time, but it does pass a little of the time. We make silly glasses, necklaces, bracelets, and all kinds of things while waiting. They don't take much room, and they can provide a little fun!

We got our spot for Paint the Night about 2-2.5 hours early, on the way into the parks we stopped in La Brea and grabbed dinner to go. We found a spot, set up a blanket and ate a picnic dinner which helped some of the time pass by. They had a little time to play on their tablets (DH brought them in his backpack), and they also made friends with the kids sitting next to us too.

Also, I'm not super familiar with CA weather but we were in pants & light jackets waiting for both PTN (from about 6:30pm on) and WOC (from about 7:15pm on) the last week of May - but it may stay warmer later in the summer? We never got to sit & wait for Soundsational or the Pixar parade over in DCA though which are both earlier and would mean waiting in the hotter mid-afternoon weather so a fan/spray-fan might be nice to have! Especially if you were in a sunny spot.

Just a tip...I always have a mini Totes umbrella in my bag. Its the best thing for getting a little shade on a hot day. Of course, it is put away shortly before the parade, but if you plan on sitting in the sun for an extended amount of time, its a life saver.

Play the "movie quotes" game. Take turns giving each other movie quotes, and see whether the other person can name the movie. It's extra fun if you can act it out a little, and do the character's voice.

This year you need to get a Fastpass for the WoC, and Fantasmic. Plus now for every RIDE need a Fastpass! A CM meets at ride entrance with a hand device that prints out you your fastpass with the return times on it. It slowed us down alot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter