Tipping servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you're getting it. Even though the tip is for your dinner servers, it covers all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Even you don't get your specific server in Cabanas (for example) for breakfast, or serving you your hot dog on the pool deck, the "dinner" servers also work those locations. Your tip covers all meals. Are you planning on not eating anywhere onboard?

I don't agree with your premise here. If that is the case then DCL should just charge the the tips as part of our cruise price and if someone goes above and beyond you give them a little extra at the time of the service. The best server we had on our last cruise was a from out embarkation lunch. Whenever we saw him throughout the cruise he found a way to help us out. He definitely didn't benefit from the tip our servers got. I have said on another tipping thread that maybe DCL should have an opt out option for the mdr for those families that have no intention of going. Not sure there is a good answer here.

I am with the op, something just seems off when you tip for a service you never received. I thought part of our cruise fare goes towards paying for the buffets and the quick serve food on deck, there is very little cm interaction in those venues. Lunch in the mdr however is different, you actually do get table service there.

I don't agree with your premise here. If that is the case then DCL should just charge the the tips as part of our cruise price and if someone goes above and beyond you give them a little extra at the time of the service. The best server we had on our last cruise was a from out embarkation lunch. Whenever we saw him throughout the cruise he found a way to help us out. He definitely didn't benefit from the tip our servers got. I have said on another tipping thread that maybe DCL should have an opt out option for the mdr for those families that have no intention of going. Not sure there is a good answer here.

I am with the op, something just seems off when you tip for a service you never received. I thought part of our cruise fare goes towards paying for the buffets and the quick serve food on deck, there is very little cm interaction in those venues. Lunch in the mdr however is different, you actually do get table service there.
As Disney is one of the "newer" cruise lines, they just kind of following the evolving industry standard on tipping when they started sailing in 1998. My first cruise in 1980 was on a luxury line (Paquet) where there was no tipping, voluntarily or automatic. Even as recently as 2002 on our HAL cruise, at that time HAL's marketing was "tipping is not required or expected, we hire the best staff and pay the highest salaries in the industry".
But the reality it, passengers want the tipping broken out from the cruise fare, either as voluntary tipping or as automatic tipping. While I can't say all passengers want that, and I don't know that even a majority do, I do suspect that in an industry where they survey passengers to death, that a majority say they still want the tip broke out as a separate costs from the cruise fare.

But the reality it, passengers want the tipping broken out from the cruise fare, either as voluntary tipping or as automatic tipping. While I can't say all passengers want that, and I don't know that even a majority do, I do suspect that in an industry where they survey passengers to death, that a majority say they still want the tip broke out as a separate costs from the cruise fare.
I wonder if that's because of the American mentality (from an outsidsr's observation anyway) that paying for service via tipping ensures that your servers work harder. I always get the impression that most Americans think if there was no tipping then the servers wouldn't care and wouldn't do their job well, and that you the customer would be let down. By servers I mean on a cruise, in a restaurant, wherever.

So people want the ability to threaten to not pay it to 'entice' the server to work harder.

Does that make sense? I could be totally wrong as it's just an observation from comments I read and discussions I've had while travelling in the US. :)

I wonder if that's because of the American mentality (from an outsidsr's observation anyway) that paying for service via tipping ensures that your servers work harder. I always get the impression that most Americans think if there was no tipping then the servers wouldn't care and wouldn't do their job well, and that you the customer would be let down. By servers I mean on a cruise, in a restaurant, wherever.

So people want the ability to threaten to not pay it to 'entice' the server to work harder.

Does that make sense? I could be totally wrong as it's just an observation from comments I read and discussions I've had while travelling in the US. :)

Yes, I think it does and I think it's a good observation. Some people on these boards have even stated that they tip at the beginning of the cruise or everyday, so that they get better service.

It's just like with concierge. When ships started putting this category on ships, I don't remember there being a tip required. The extra cost of the category took care of that, but I think, people started tipping because they felt they needed to, or they felt they got such great service that a tip was what you did when you got great service. Now, I dare say, it is probably expected, by everyone from the employee, cruiser and employer.

Even if tipping is a separate line item on your cruise budget, it should be looked upon as a basic charge everyone should pay. Don't consider it as though it is business as usual for the American service industry. It's not for excellent service provided. It's just for basic service provided. If someone goes beyond that, then tip extra. If they don't do the basic, and I don't think that happens often, then the first thing to do is a trip to GS or to the head waiter to see if the situation can be rectified. Don't start automatically reducing tips.

I don't think you're getting it. Even though the tip is for your dinner servers, it covers all meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Even you don't get your specific server in Cabanas (for example) for breakfast, or serving you your hot dog on the pool deck, the "dinner" servers also work those locations. Your tip covers all meals. Are you planning on not eating anywhere onboard?

No, I do get it but thanks. This original thread was based on a conversation I had with a friend. She felt differently then me. I DID say I tip everyday. I was more curious how others tipped. I do feel the need to eat on occasion. I'm just not sure where your snarkiness stems from? It's a simple conversation with no arguing just information back and forth.

No, I do get it but thanks. This original thread was based on a conversation I had with a friend. She felt differently then me. I DID say I tip everyday. I was more curious how others tipped. I do feel the need to eat on occasion. I'm just not sure where your snarkiness stems from? It's a simple conversation with no arguing just information back and forth.
Sorry you felt I was snarky. That wasn't my intention at all. It just seemed to me that you were questioning why tip at all, not just "what's your take on tipping?".

I think you are correct. And after a week of conversations with our server on one cruise, I learned the flip side of that is there are a lot of international travelers on cruise ships from nations and cultures where tipping is not the norm, and in some case, a tip if considered insulting. So they don't tip. I suspect that maybe why some lines have gone to automatic tipping. To make sure their tipped staff get something.

Sorry you felt I was snarky. That wasn't my intention at all. It just seemed to me that you were questioning why tip at all, not just "what's your take on tipping?".

Ok, fair enough :) No, I just meant it as what is your take. In an earlier post I did say that I do tip everyday. It was just my friend can't seem to wrap her head around tipping when she's not in the main dining room. I wanted to show her that her take is wrong.

I completely agree, and tipping is such a minefield here too to figure out exactly how much you should give for the service you provided. If we had a tip less society life would be great.

It is kind of funny that when we go to a store to purchase say furniture and ask the person tons of questions and they show us all our options and when we close the sale we say thanks and walk away. Take a restaurant where a server takes your order, most times, but not all times brings you your food and drink (seeing a trend where someone different brings out the food and maybe drinks), asks you if everything is alright, perhaps gets refills, and gets you your check and gets a tip of 15-20% of the bill for that.

I think you have to think about it in terms of you are actually tipping for all the meals and then it seems better. I come from the UK and tipping over here is rare (although becoming more and more common). You tend to tip for good service and if it isn't then you don't. Having lived in the US for a couple of years as well as travelling a lot I understand that differences in culture but am fully aware a lot of people don't. My friends went on a cruise last year and I tried to explain to them the tipping but they still didn't really get it. After cruising however they said they did tip and they actually over tipped as it was just such good service.

I still think they should include tips on the bill properly as a service charge and then people wouldn't complain about it. It makes more sense saying its a service charge as then most people can understand that they are using the service even if not in a main dining room. By having people pay the servers individually it makes people assume you are only paying for the service you receive directly from them rather than from anyone in the dining profession on the ship.

I still think they should include tips on the bill properly as a service charge and then people wouldn't complain about it. It makes more sense saying its a service charge as then most people can understand that they are using the service even if not in a main dining room. By having people pay the servers individually it makes people assume you are only paying for the service you receive directly from them rather than from anyone in the dining profession on the ship.

I've been saying this since before our first cruise when I realized how the industry worked. Heck, I think even if Disney renamed it and did away with the slips and envelopes, it would help. If it just said $8/person/day for food service, then it would be more clear that that money paid for all meals. I imagine people would still give extra to their MDR teams when appropriate.

Maybe it's the way you phrased it but I find your summary of why Americans tip to be a bit insulting. I'm not tipping at the end as a threat to anyone. I don't expect them to work harder, I expect them to provide service that I find of value. And I'm going to decide how much that was worth to me once I've seen how much value they have brought me, which I can only do after the service is rendered. If a server on a cruise only does magic tricks as a way to show that they are providing "great service" but at the same time is very slow in bringing our entrees or forgets to bring a dessert menu or doesn't bring my coffee with dessert, that isn't adding value for me and may only merit the recommended tip. If on the other hand, my servers bring me a fresh iced tea when I am down to the last few sips of the one I have, sees what I have enjoyed for my entrees through the week and makes a recommendation that I may not have chosen, those things may be adding more value to me and be worth adding something to the tip.

Personally, I like tipping. In every profession you are going to have those that are dedicated and work hard, those that do an adequate job and those that just want to do enough to get by. Basically, I'm giving a performance review when I tip, but mine is just one vote. If a lot of people "vote" that you are doing a great job, you are earning more and will be motivated to continue to do a great job. If a lot of people "vote" that you have just done enough to get by, you may not like that you aren't earning a lot extra and see that maybe this isn't the best job choice for you and move one. If you have a flat service fee, the "just getting by" continue to "just get by" and the great servers move on somewhere they have the ability to be rewarded for their hard work.

Maybe it's the way you phrased it but I find your summary of why Americans tip to be a bit insulting. I'm not tipping at the end as a threat to anyone. I don't expect them to work harder, I expect them to provide service that I find of value.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you (or anyone). What I was trying to say was that I think there is a belief that tipping encourages servers to provide good service / work hard, which is what I understand from the part of your post I have quoted below. Apologies again for any offence, I didn't mean to offend.

Personally, I like tipping. In every profession you are going to have those that are dedicated and work hard, those that do an adequate job and those that just want to do enough to get by. Basically, I'm giving a performance review when I tip, but mine is just one vote. If a lot of people "vote" that you are doing a great job, you are earning more and will be motivated to continue to do a great job. If a lot of people "vote" that you have just done enough to get by, you may not like that you aren't earning a lot extra and see that maybe this isn't the best job choice for you and move one. If you have a flat service fee, the "just getting by" continue to "just get by" and the great servers move on somewhere they have the ability to be rewarded for their hard work.

I think you are correct. And after a week of conversations with our server on one cruise, I learned the flip side of that is there are a lot of international travelers on cruise ships from nations and cultures where tipping is not the norm, and in some case, a tip if considered insulting. So they don't tip. I suspect that maybe why some lines have gone to automatic tipping. To make sure their tipped staff get something.

One interesting thing I found out recently: I am from Germany, but only ever cruised on DCL. When friends of mine here in Germany recently went on a cruise by TUI Cruises (a RCCL subsidiary specifically for the German market) I found out that they specifically do not require guests to tip at all. And then I read that NCL sells all their cruises now on the German market as "all inclusive", which means that they have the drinks package included and all the tips as well (and yes, prices do reflect that in comparison to the prices for the American market). Seems like that they got smart and changed their policies according to the market they sell to.

One interesting thing I found out recently: I am from Germany, but only ever cruised on DCL. When friends of mine here in Germany recently went on a cruise by TUI Cruises (a RCCL subsidiary specifically for the German market) I found out that they specifically do not require guests to tip at all. And then I read that NCL sells all their cruises now on the German market as "all inclusive", which means that they have the drinks package included and all the tips as well (and yes, prices do reflect that in comparison to the prices for the American market). Seems like that they got smart and changed their policies according to the market they sell to.
Makes sense, The first cruise I referred to was on the French line Paquet and as I noted, not tipping, and the wine was included with lunch and dinner at no extra cost.

I haven't cruised Carnival here in Australia (like you, only cruised DCL), but my understanding is that there are no tips on Carnival ships that sail from Australia either. Their staff are paid more to allow for that. I also believe (although am happy to be corrected) that Carnival don't really move staff around between Australian and non-Australian based ships due to the different contracts and wages based on the no tipping requirements.

My assistant server was everywhere. Anytime I went for a meal, she was there. Triton's at breakfast, Beach Blanket at lunch, Pluto's for snack, and MDR at dinner. I've never seen people work so much, so hard, and still be friendly. They all earn the crap out of those tips.

We just think of it as an automatic cost we factor in. It is just part of the tradition of cruising. We just automatically add it to our stateroom day 1. Some cruise lines you can pay upfront. I would do this option I like that. It's part of the cost in my mind. It's just detailed as a seperate amount. Like tax. Maybe one day they will combine it. But until then I just don't overthink it.

We just think of it as an automatic cost we factor in. It is just part of the tradition of cruising. We just automatically add it to our stateroom day 1. Some cruise lines you can pay upfront. I would do this option I like that. It's part of the cost in my mind. It's just detailed as a seperate amount. Like tax. Maybe one day they will combine it. But until then I just don't overthink it.

You CAN pay upfront on DCL. You just call (or have your TA call) and have them added on if before final payment or just pay them if after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter