Tipping question

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
We are a party of 9. I know we will be charged 18% gratuity at TS.

Can I charge it to my room then pay with GC? We are staying at SSR.

How do I set this up? Do I set up charging preferences upon check in then clear it with the desk nightly/daily or so?

Thanks!!

ETA: We are on DDP

Yes...you can charge to the room and then clear the account with a gift card every couple days. I go more often to clear in a value resort than if I would at say a Deluxe resort. If it does get charged to your credit card because you hit your limit, they can easily reverse the charge and apply the gift card.

Yes...you can charge to the room and then clear the account with a gift card every couple days. I go more often to clear in a value resort than if I would at say a Deluxe resort. If it does get charged to your credit card because you hit your limit, they can easily reverse the charge and apply the gift card.

This is going to sound like I've never been in public before probably, but I've never charged anything to my room (that's a lie. Once when I was out of town for work, all my expenses were charged to my room from the two in house restaurants and the actual stay, and I gave my card upon check in as requested, then they charged MY account instead of the business account and several scheduled bills bounced, so that was a fiasco).

So when I check in, do I say, please charge the gratuity to the room, or will they bring me a bill at the end and I say it then? I've also never been on the dining plan.

This is going to sound like I've never been in public before probably, but I've never charged anything to my room (that's a lie. Once when I was out of town for work, all my expenses were charged to my room from the two in house restaurants and the actual stay, and I gave my card upon check in as requested, then they charged MY account instead of the business account and several scheduled bills bounced, so that was a fiasco).

So when I check in, do I say, please charge the gratuity to the room, or will they bring me a bill at the end and I say it then? I've also never been on the dining plan.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but memory tells me that they scan your magic band usually at the beginning of the meal, asking if you are on the dining plan, and a check comes at the end of the meal, at which point you could either choose to charge the tip to your room or use the gift card at that time as well. If you are nervous about charges being done incorrectly, you may prefer to have it be room charged, and you can go to the front desk whenever you wish to review room charges to keep an eye on things throughout your vacation. If planning to use gift cards, make sure you keep on top of where you are at with your charging limit for the room, as they will auto-charge the card you give them to put on file as it gets close to that limit. While it may be fixable later, it is easier to avoid the fixing step of charge reversals. You can discuss the room charge limit at the front desk - I do not recall specific amounts, but I believe the limits are preset based on your resort level.

You can also just use the GC to pay at the restaurant if you don't want to chance it being billed to the credit card on the room. They can bill the meal to the dining plan and the tip to your GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!