Tip for the Lowe's delivery guy?

Aurora D

Mouseketeer
I'm a waitress so I'm all about tipping appropriately.....that said, I rarely have things delivered new. We 're expecting a refrigerator this afternoon from Lowe's. Should I tip the delivery men? If so, how much? Thanks!!

I'm a waitress so I'm all about tipping appropriately.....that said, I rarely have things delivered new. We 're expecting a refrigerator this afternoon from Lowe's. Should I tip the delivery men? If so, how much? Thanks!!

No, I don't think it's allowed? We never have!

I never have either. I know when there is a service you would generally tip for (say if you ordered room service at a hotel/resort), the person you would tip sort of pauses (like he/she is waiting for the tip). However, any guy delivering things to our house from HD, Lowe's, etc. seems to drop it off and leave ASAP.

I never have either. I know when there is a service you would generally tip for (say if you ordered room service at a hotel/resort), the person you would tip sort of pauses (like he/she is waiting for the tip). However, any guy delivering things to our house from HD, Lowe's, etc. seems to drop it off and leave ASAP.

agreed - we've had Lowe's deliver a fridge and a dishwasher and I didn't get the 'tip vibe' from either of them. I don't think it's allowed but I do have a friend who works at Lowe's in the appliance dept I'll ask him next time I see him.....

I disagree. I know some will say that it is this man's job to carry heavy stuff, but whenever someone carries something into our house that DH and I could not manage ourselves, I give them $15 or $20. No one has ever declined. I'm just grateful that I don't have to potentially hurt myself trying to do and and want to show my gratitude, especially if someone is careful not to bang into and damage other stuff in my house, which I would surely do.

I disagree. I know some will say that it is this man's job to carry heavy stuff, but whenever someone carries something into our house that DH and I could not manage ourselves, I give them $15 or $20. No one has ever declined. I'm just grateful that I don't have to potentially hurt myself trying to do and and want to show my gratitude, especially if someone is careful not to bang into and damage other stuff in my house, which I would surely do.

I've never not tipped an appliance or furniture delivery guy/guys. $5 - $10 pp, depending upon what they do. I had a patio set delivered a few weeks ago, just in boxes, so just $5 per guy.

...Lowe's is a big-box chain store (as is Home Depot), and both have very strict policies about their employees accepting tips of any sort. Same goes for places such as Walmart and Target. Violation of those policies could result in termination of said employee.

In other words, while it's OK to tip the person from Joe's TV and Appliance in Anytown, South Jersey, it's not OK to tip someone from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I have had deliveries from both HD and Lowes. Each time the tip didn't seem expected, but was accepted nonetheless. It usually is $20 to split between the 2 delivery guys. The last time was a small freezer delivered in a snow storm and carried down my very narrow basement stairs. They absolutely deserved a tip that day.

...Lowe's is a big-box chain store (as is Home Depot), and both have very strict policies about their employees accepting tips of any sort. Same goes for places such as Walmart and Target. Violation of those policies could result in termination of said employee.

In other words, while it's OK to tip the person from Joe's TV and Appliance in Anytown, South Jersey, it's not OK to tip someone from Lowe's or Home Depot.

This is correct. I work for a big box store that delivers. If delivery person accepts a tip from a customer, they will be terminated. I'm not saying that it has not happened in the past but if they were found out, they would lose their jobs. It is a slippery slope....

Didn't tip for our fridge last summer from lowes - and we tip well, often, and generously.

Nope not appliance/delivery people. Offered drinks if it's hot, etc, but never $. Now, we have moved over a dozen times in the past 17 years (military) and we have provided lunch and drinks to the packers and the drivers, that's it, NEVER $.

I work for a big box store that delivers. If delivery person accepts a tip from a customer, they will be terminated

It is definitely not my responsibility as a consumer to know the differing rules of every single retailer. If show my gratitude for hard work well done with a tip the worker has the option to refuse based on his/her own judgment. I don't think I will use the fact that some retailers may discourage tipping to justify skimping on tips.

Nope, I never have tipped for a delivery other than pizza!

Just got a Fridge 2 weeks ago and didn't tip. They get paid at least minimum wage (usually more) and not waitress min wage so their wage is not based on getting tips.

My refrigerator went out on Dec 23rd at 4PM, we went to Lowes and the salesperson found us the model we wanted at another store, and when it was delivered on Christmas Eve at 4PM, we tipped the delivery men...

We had a fridge delivered several years ago. There were 2 delivery guys. I gave them a $15 tip (total --- actually wanted to give $20 but I didn't have it). I just feel that even though it's their job to make deliveries and lug heavy stuff that they should get some appreciation for it. They don't make much ($10-$12/hour) and they're lugging heavy items in all sorts of weather and getting it into your home safely. They deserve a tip.

It is definitely not my responsibility as a consumer to know the differing rules of every single retailer. If show my gratitude for hard work well done with a tip the worker has the option to refuse based on his/her own judgment. I don't think I will use the fact that some retailers may discourage tipping to justify skimping on tips.

I don't know of a single big box retailer that tells it's employees that it is ok to accept tips. You are correct- it it not your responsibility to know the "rules" of every retailer. My point is that delivery teams from most big box stores know that they are not supposed to accept tips and as the consumer you don't have to offer one.

To the OP: if you are in doubt, contact the store and speak to a manager before the delivery.

We had a fridge delivered several years ago. There were 2 delivery guys. I gave them a $15 tip (total --- actually wanted to give $20 but I didn't have it). I just feel that even though it's their job to make deliveries and lug heavy stuff that they should get some appreciation for it. They don't make much ($10-$12/hour) and they're lugging heavy items in all sorts of weather and getting it into your home safely. They deserve a tip.

uhhh that's their job. I don't think any of them were surprised to find out what they would be doing when they took the job and started to work. It is also their job to get it into my home safely! That is a given, not an extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter