Timeframe for reserving your chairs @ the pool.

My experience has been around 3 the pool area starts clearing out and seats are much easier to find- except the wet crumpled towel ones.
That’s good to know. We will most likely swim in the late afternoon since we have the latest possible dinner reservations booked for most nights.

What does it look like around 3pm when people are coming back to the resort after excursions or naps? Is it a madhouse?
A lot of people who have been there all day are cleared by around then - time to shower for dinner / put the kiddos down for a nap etc. Should not have too much problem finding something suitable in the late afternoon.

A lot of people who have been there all day are cleared by around then - time to shower for dinner / put the kiddos down for a nap etc. Should not have too much problem finding something suitable in the late afternoon.
That’s great! Late afternoon is our usual pool time when we travel. We usually follow it with a late dinner at 8 or 8:30. But, since Ko Olina shuts down early we bumped our dinners up to 7:30. Can’t wait to get there!

So today is our 2nd resort / pool day after having spent the ENTIRE day yesterday on the North Shore. Here are my observations this morning. We decided to try for a new / different location today from what we had on Sunday. The full lounge chairs that face the lagoon with the nice views that are still within hearing distance of the Hawaiian music playing at the pool are definitely the more in-demand chairs. There are a couple of secluded spots with the chair / ottoman type chairs that get passed over in favor of the full loungers. The chair / ottoman setups were still available at 8:30 when I walked around (we once again came down around 10 of 8:00). I could see these prime spots filling early from our balcony around 7:00 tho so I knew we wouldn't get one of those as I don't think I will ever make it down THAT early. We ended up picking a spot in the middle of the 2nd row back facing the lagoon in order to get at least 1 chair under an umbrella. We are close to Ama Ama and Off The Hook. IF we didn't want ANY shade we could have gotten a chair in the front row as all the umbrellas were gone. The people next to us that we are sharing the umbrella with have not been here yet at all. Only signs of life are a towel on each chair and 2 Aulani refill cups on the side table. I walked over to survey the loungers that are on the deck below Ama Ama and I think we may try for those on our next pool day (Thurs). My observations there are that it is a very quiet location but not as convenient for a quick dip in the pool. Also, not as many umbrellas so get there early to snag the umbrellas. The upper deck can can hear the waterfall in front of Ama Ama for a little white noise ambience but the lower deck is definitely very quiet if you like complete silence without any stimulation at all...
Yep, those two rows facing the lagoon are definitely the most sought after chairs. The week of Easter, those chairs were completely taken by 5:15am with people starting to take them around 4:30am (according to the pool manager we talked to). We were able to get four of them at 6:30am on our last full day, since the resort had a lot of people checking out the day before.

I’m confused, about to be a first time visitor… don’t you need wristbands to get in the pool area? Aren’t they only available starting at 8am? So how does one stake out a pool chair before getting a wristband and at what point do I need one?
I just got back, and we always got our wristband for the next day in the early evening. This seems to prevent bigger lineups in the morning.

Last update....today is our last full day. (We got rained out on our last "pool day" on Thurs.) I could see from our room that the front row of chairs by the infinity edge pool were gone by 6:30. I got down by 7:30 and went to the other section in the middle that faced the lagoon. Some guy had come down and split a pair of goggles on 1 chair and put 1 flip flop on 2 other chairs and he was sitting on the 4th. Most of the rest of the front row was also taken except the chairs w/o umbrellas but they actually had people sitting in 6 of them. Goggle guy on the other end went for towels at 8:00 and brought them back to throw over the chairs then he left and has been gone for the last 52 minutes.
This is the irritating part. We're actually here to USE our chairs for the day. 2nd row back isn't a bad spot but it would have been nice to have "front row" witj an umbrella just once.

Here's a new trick I just watched. 😂 Some guy came and put towels on 2 of the front row loungers (w/o umbrellas) then he took a picture of them (not sure why the pic). THEN he went to one of the rows behind us which face the pool and have the early morning sun and he took 2 more lounge chairs.🤣🤣🤣 Talk about a chair hog!! 🤣🤣🤣

Looks like I double posted...sorry. Got an error during the process. But read this one!

Last update....today is our last full day. (We got rained out on our last "pool day" on Thurs.) I could see from our room that the front row of chairs by the infinity edge pool were gone by 6:30. I got down by 7:30 and went to the other section in the middle that faced the lagoon. Some guy had come down and put a pair of goggles on 1 chair and split 1 flip flop each on 2 other chairs and he was sitting on the 4th. Most of the rest of the front row was also taken except the chairs w/o umbrellas but they actually had people sitting in 6 of them. Goggle guy on the other end went for towels at 8:00 and brought them back to throw over the chairs then he left and has been gone for the last 1 hour & 15 minutes. This is the irritating part. We're actually here to USE our chairs for the day. 2nd row back isn't a bad spot but it would have been nice to have "front row" with an umbrella just once.

Here's a new trick I just watched. 😂 Some guy came and put towels on 2 of the front row loungers (w/o umbrellas) then he took a picture of them (not sure why the pic). THEN he went to one of the rows behind us which face the pool and have the early morning sun and he took 2 more lounge chairs.🤣🤣🤣 Talk about a chair hog!! 🤣🤣🤣 Amd he isn't sitting in any of them.

Last edited:
How long was goggle guy gone? Did three other people come for the two row guy? Now I’m invested haha
Goggle guy was gone at least 90 minutes!! We were down there until about 3:30. He never ever did come & actually USE the chairs for more than about 30 minutes at time!!! Very annoying to see them sitting unused all day like that. He did have about 7 or 8 people it seemed in his party so the people that came for these brief periods always alternated. But they could have taken chairs anywhere else if they weren't going to SIT in them.

That’s my beef with chair hogs! They save one chair for every person, but rarely does an entire family (especially kids) just sit, read and sun! Sharing is caring!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter