Time of day to fly with 16mo

NHDisneyFan

Mouseketeer
We plan on flying from Manchester to Orlando, about a 3 hour direct flight, in November with our to be 16 month old. We can't decide between an 11am flight and an 8:30pm flight. Obviously we don't know what his nap schedule will be in 4 months, but will children sleep on a night flight?? It would mean us arriving at MCO at 11:40pm.

We've flown many times with our DD (almost 4) and have been successful with late morning/early afternoon flights. I'd really hesitate to take an evening flight because it would really mess up her schedule. I think in the end it really depends on how flexible your son's schedule is. If you do decide to take the night flight I'd recommend adjusting his bedtime, if necessary, so he's accustomed to falling asleep around 9pm. Also, If he'll have his own seat I'd recommend limiting the carry-on bags so that one of you can carry DS off the plane in his seat to avoid waking him.

definitely go with the day flight. We thought the same thing (our 18 month old will just sleep, right? HA!) First they're going to the *airport*, he was so wired by the time we got on the plane and it was past 10pm. Second, he would not sleep on that plane, and no amount of toys, snacks, or drinks would calm him down. He was overstimulated, exhausted, and just wanted his bed. At least if it had been daytime, he would've been we;ll rested and the toys and snacks would've worked great to keep him occupied. Third, people are much more tolerant of a cranky kid at 11am, than at 11pm. Then they shut the lights off and people are trying to sleep. Talk about pressure....

So do the day flight, and some other tips, take your stroller right up to the plane door and have them check it under the plane. They'll bring it right back up to you when you deboard. Its so helpful for those long airport walks and carrying all those bags. (and the baby of course, hehe) And also, board the plane when they call for people with disabilites and babies. It takes awhile to get all that stuff in position and the seat in etc. And its a lot easier without a bunch of other people trying to get in, too. But the catch, you deboard last. Don't even try getting up till everyone behind is off! Anyway, have fun, if you plan wisely ahead of time, it will be just fine!! :)

I agree, definitely take the morning flight. We flew at night once with a 4 year old and a 16 month old and nothing went as planned. They were up until about 1 AM and it took them a day to recover from the exhaustion. I would think a baby that age would be good for a midday nap anyway and, if not, it shouldn't be a problem. People aren't on a plane in the middle of the day expecting to sleep - you may get different reactions at night.

yup, I agree too - we do one all day flight to get to Orlando and one all night flight to get home, the all night flight is always a nightmare, there is just so much going on that my dd can't settle to sleep, then she gets way past tired and is just plain cranky and horrible - she usually collapses with exhaustion sometime around 1am, and then we have to wake her to get off the plane at the other end.

the daytime flight, on the other hand, is usually quite pleasant, she has some toys and snacks, listens to her story tapes, and is amazingly calm for someone stuck on a plane for 10 hours.

Bev

Day flight! I had to choose between an 8:30am or a 1pm flight. DH is meeting us in Orlando from another state, so I am flying by myself with 2 DDs (4.5 years and 22 months). I picked the early flight even though it means waking everyone up before normal because my girls are at their best in the am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter