Time Crunch Question: is there enough time

I'll be honest, this never even occurred to me. We always go to rope drop and stay until we're told to leave. But I guess if more than 1 person recommends this, it must be a thing. We have some other FP+ we don't want to miss, but maybe after that we'll leave for a longer break.

But you also said you have never traveled with a baby before. Going from RD to the end of MNSSHP with an infant and a pregnant wife would be utterly exhausting.

Another thing you need to think about is 1) whether you would be able to move fast enough while wearing elaborate costumes to get to 7DMT, and 2) 7DMT is a tight fit...would the costumes fit on the ride?

Another thing you need to think about is 1) whether you would be able to move fast enough while wearing elaborate costumes to get to 7DMT, and 2) 7DMT is a tight fit...would the costumes fit on the ride?

This is a good point. I have seen a lot of elaborate costumes at MNSSHP but I could tell there was no way they were getting on rides in them. Of course, a lot of people go to MNSSHP for everything else and don't even touch the rides. 7DMT has particularly tight bucket seats, so just keep that in mind.

I too want to see these costumes since they sound pretty elaborate.

I'll be honest, this never even occurred to me. We always go to rope drop and stay until we're told to leave. But I guess if more than 1 person recommends this, it must be a thing. We have some other FP+ we don't want to miss, but maybe after that we'll leave for a longer break.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure many people ignore the new guidelines this year and are asked to leave. Our costumes follow the guidelines though the guidelines warn that there would be extra screening and security checks for us.

I think it depends on your family rather than what works for everyone else. My kids are early risers, then they power through the day and knock out around 1030-11pm. If we tried to break up the day and take them back for a break, they'd totally cash out for a 2-3 hour nap, wake up cranky and then be miserable the rest of the night. With a little one you probably won't be able to RD and then stay until park close, but if that's the approach that works for you maybe it's best to just stick with it and modify your end time.

Good point, i didn't even think about them. As my signature says this is the first time with a baby. We've never done a mid-day rest. So this is all new.

If you're only taking a mid day break for the 11 month old... Have you considered letting him nap in the stroller or in a baby carrier? If you're relying on Disney transportation it could take an hour to get back to the hotel and vice versa to the park. We've gone two times since my 19 month old was born and weekly trips to local theme parks at home. She's been fine to nap in her stroller or in our Tula. I would honestly consider staying in the MK and just walking around while baby naps. Maybe shop some, stroll around, grab snacks, etc. In over 30+ trips, I've never found a "mid day break" to be relaxing or even worth it. Done it once... Won't ever do it again. Not worth it time wise. Stroller/Tula naps for the win. (At least for us. Ymmv)

Based on our experience, it will work--- BUT---you likely will not have time to rest at Coronado. We have gone to MK several times on our MNSSHP day, went back to YC (once BC) in the afternoon to change into costumes. Basically, if you leave at 2, with Disney transportation, by the time you get back to the resort and change, it will probably be time to go back out to the bus stop to be sure you are back by 4 and don't miss your FP+ or ADR. You have already been to MK that day so even without hoppers you do NOT need to use your party ticket to enter. We have gotten back after 3:30 or right at 4:00, and the MNSSHP lines/wait are long--- there are entrances designated for party goers and those kept open for regular entry. What we do is go back in through the regular entry and then get our party wristbands in the park. They typically have the wristband stations in the park up and going by 4- you could enter through the regular line get your wristbands on the way to 7DMT. We have never had the in park wristband lines take too long.

The one thing that I am not sure about this year is with the new costume guidelines whether you would have a problem going through the regular line and whether they would make you use the party entrance because of the costumes-- if they did, then that could mess up everything. Maybe someone knows whether that has changed this year. We have never had trouble going through the regular lines on MNSSHP days in costume (well technically me because DD is under 12 and DH wears a "costume" t-shirt with jeans- so I'm always the only adult in full costume) and have had others around us going through the line in costume. We have also been let in with costumes on MNSSHP days on our regular ticket before 4 (always 3 p.m. or later)- and have seen plenty of others in the park in costume before 4. There has been a rule of no adults in costume before and even when they were enforcing that during the day (saw them turn away some 20 somethings in costume once on a non-party day)- we haven't had issues on MNSSHP days. It would be good if there was someone who could comment on whether they were still letting people enter through the regular lines and come in with costumes between 3 and 4, if they had more than an MNSSHP ticket- I'd like to know that for our planning too.

Since DD was 2, we have always started at a park around rope drop or just a little later on MNSSHP or MVMCP days. If we are switching parks, then we have gone back to the resort to rest for an hour or so (most commonly if we aren't at MK we are at AK and DD gets bored there pretty quickly). If we are at MK and it is MVMCP, we don't even leave the park unless we are staying at a MK resort and want to change clothes. If it is MNSSHP, we go change into our costumes and we are usually at BC/YC that time of year and we find we don't really rest other than maybe sitting down for 15 or 20 minutes because of the back and forth time. We are a pretty high energy family and all day works fine for us. When DD was little, she would just nap in the stroller in the park. HOWEVER- the thing that concerns me is that you said your wife is 6 months pregnant- that is pretty pregnant to be going from open to close in the park. She might need the rest, and if that is the case, then your plan won't work. You should figure it could take you an hour to get back to your resort and an hour to get from your resort back to the park.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Velkoor, post: 56461811, member: 541080"

Are we allowed to be late to an ADR? Or can we send 1 party member ahead of time? I'd rather skip the ride than miss the dinner.
[/QUOTE]

There is no official grace period for an ADR. Sometimes you can be late, and it is not a problem. Sometimes it is a problem. There is no way to know ahead of time though. And no, you can't send one family member ahead. They require that the whole party be at the restaurant to get a table.

My kids are older (9 and 12) and we have not done the party yet--hopefully next year. We often do the parks from open to close at 8/9 pm, but I would not try doing all day then staying until midnight at a party. I would rather have well rested kids so they could stay up late and enjoy all of the party. But my kids are older and don't nap. Going back to the resort for just a few hours sounds more like work than rest to me. I would have to help them change into costumes and push everyone to be ready to leave on time.

I'm working on finalizing our touring plan for our trip in October and I want to know if we'll have enough time. I've talked to friends and family, they disagree with each other. I've done the math based on what other people have posted, but I need direct answers to what we're trying to do.

Members of the Party: 4 Adults, 1 Child (11 months) w/ Stroller
The Plan:
- Morning Events at the Magic Kingdom...etc.
- 2PM until 4PM: Go back to Coronado Springs Resort, rest and change into costumes for MNSSHP
- 4PM enter the park and go to 7DMT
- Ride 7DMT w/ FastPass+
- 420PM Reservations at Be Our Guest

Can that work? If we enter the park at 4PM can we get to the 7DMT and ride it using our FastPass+ and make it to the 420PM reservations at Be Our Guest. My wife (6 months pregnant) will be waiting with my son, obviously they wouldn't be able to ride. Our FastPass+ is from 3:25 to 4:25 so we can't do it before leaving the park and we can't do it after dinner.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
A mid-day break should be at least 4 hours from the time you leave the park and plan to be back in the park, so noon would be the latest you should plan to leave the park. With costumes and the extra security I think 11am would be even better.
You might want to consider not going to the park in the morning, and just go for the party.

I will say DH and I took the kids to MNSSHP party last year and the party was great but we made the mistake of going to the MK that morning and even though we did take a long break and the kids took a 2 hour nap we were still dragging and just exhausted by the end of the night. We regret not having taken the morning off and will definitely do that next time.

Agree. I would take an 11 month old to a party personally. Bedtime is 7pm for my babies and that's when the parties kick off. I'm sure that some go with babies and have a fab time, though. If I were to take a baby to a party I would definitely take the first part of the day off to get full morning and afternoon naps in at the hotel.

Ok leave the park at least an hour earlier so you actually get some kind of a break. But, make sure your back at gates by 4pm so you're entering right when you can. Head straight back to ride. if running short on time Mom and baby mosey over to BOG to check in, They ask if everyone's present and you just tell them you're waiting for the others, "they'll be here in a minute, they just ran to the bathroom blah blah blah." That way you're checked in and won't lose your table and they still get to ride.

That being said...it still seems like too much trouble for SDMT. Entering the park for the party everybody's going to be dressed up, music playing, lights...you don't want to just rush through and not take it all in at a nice pace :confused3. I'd reschedule that FP for something else later on .

Sadly we won't be able to do this, as our costumes are quite elaborate and involved. Possibly changing in a family restroom would work, but unlikely.

I think you need to chose what is less important to you between 3 things dinner, 7DMT or you costumes
and honestly with the extra security I can see ( and I do not know what your costume are) but not being allowed in the parks with then and this would mean a trip back to the hotel to change or at lest changing taking things off and giving them to GR to hold. but like I said I do not know that your costume are and disney rules very well ( I do go to MNSSHP but I do not dress up well maybe as my self, and I have seen guest not allowed to bring something in or a part of there costumes not allowed in,

And no, you can't send one family member ahead. They require that the whole party be at the restaurant to get a table.

You can send one ahead to alert them that you will be keeping the reservation, but they won't check you in or seat you until the entire party is present. However, they'll know you are coming, which, unless it takes a really long time for the rest of the party to show up, might help with your not being put down as a no-show. and it is not far from 7DMT to Be Our Guest.

With that schedule they are indeed taking a chance on being late.

actually the best idea here is to just forget about going to MK in the morning, but if you must, leave earlier than you were planning.

I'm not so worried about the 11 month old resting, but more worried about the 6 month pregnant wife. I think she needs some down time

Think about this:. Disney recommends you allow 90 minutes one way to make it to an ADR. Using that formula you will need to be on your way back to the park by 2:50.

Personally, I recommend NOT going to a park the day of a party and just have an easy morning, sleeping late and enjoying the resort. Given that your resort is on the opposite end of the property from MK, the two round trip bus rides will get old (unless you Uber -- even then it is a long ride). The afternoon schedule could work but you will have to "walk with a purpose" (i.e. leave the pregnant wife behind -- probably better for all involved). You have a bit of grace time with ADRs (don't tell anyone you heard it from me).

I agree with this. I would not plan an early morning in the park, head back to the resort for a very short break to change, and then rush back for the party, and that is not considering the Mine Train or BOG. I always suggest setting priorities, because you really cannot do it all.

I'm working on finalizing our touring plan for our trip in October and I want to know if we'll have enough time. I've talked to friends and family, they disagree with each other. I've done the math based on what other people have posted, but I need direct answers to what we're trying to do.

Members of the Party: 4 Adults, 1 Child (11 months) w/ Stroller
The Plan:
- Morning Events at the Magic Kingdom...etc.
- 2PM until 4PM: Go back to Coronado Springs Resort, rest and change into costumes for MNSSHP
- 4PM enter the park and go to 7DMT
- Ride 7DMT w/ FastPass+
- 420PM Reservations at Be Our Guest

Can that work? If we enter the park at 4PM can we get to the 7DMT and ride it using our FastPass+ and make it to the 420PM reservations at Be Our Guest. My wife (6 months pregnant) will be waiting with my son, obviously they wouldn't be able to ride. Our FastPass+ is from 3:25 to 4:25 so we can't do it before leaving the park and we can't do it after dinner.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

That's REALLY pushing it and honestly at any other restaurant at MK, I'd probably do it and just be a little late (I'd send wife and son ahead and have them check-in about 4:25,) but I've heard BOG is a lot stricter with times, so I don't know. I'll just say that I'm 99% sure with your plan that you'll never make it to BOG by 4:20. We went to the first party and bag check was the longest we had had all week and by the time we got through bag check (arrived about 3:50), got through the turnstiles, got our wristbands, it was almost 4:15 before we even got under the train station.

I'll also say that leaving MK at 2 to go back to CSR and be back by 4 or a little before is going to leave you basically no time to rest, really you'll most likely be rushing back, rushing to change and the rushing to get back to MK. If it were us, we'd just pack the costumes (that's what strollers are for), and take a nice break at the park before changing and getting your wristband at 4 (I'd ride Mine Train when your fastpass started).

Has nothing to do with the costume...if they are entering on only a party ticket, that is allowed at 4, not before 4. If they are entering on a regular ticket they'd then need to get wristbands for the party in order to remain after 7. I don't think they'd be allowed in wearing a costume at noon, but at 3:30 maybe if they clarify that they are attending the party. But they can make it if they hoof it to 7DMT and send the non-rider to Be Our Guest.

They're already going to be in MK that day. They're using a regular park ticket and the MNSSHP ticket, so they can come/go whenever they want.

I think a number of posters have already pointed out a number of the challenges you face. While your plan COULD work, it doesn't sound ENJOYABLE. Here's my take:

WDW buses are rather variable and unpredictable. Your room might be close to the (first) bus stop or not. CSR is a LARGE resort, and you have to navigate with a stroller. Stroller = taking the elevator (or carrying it on the stairs) WDW suggests you allow 90 min each way.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but when you say, "elaborate costumes," I hear a few things.
1. Putting them on will take time. Is everything laid out? Make-up? Hair?
2. Will you enjoy any of the process if it is this rushed? With a 2 hour time window, you'll (probably) have to start dressing right away.
3. Simple is good. When you say elaborate, I hear uncomfortable. Uncomfortable and WDW aren't a mix for anyone, especially if toddlers and a 3rd trimester pregnancy are part of the mix.
4. I'm also struggling with mixing costumes and 7D. After 7D, my normal hairdo looks s a bit windswept.
5. SECURITY SCREENING!

We were just at MK. If you are wearing costumes, you will ALMOST CERTAINLY be sent though the metal detectors. Before a party, I predict the line will be miserably long. At least longer than I'd want to wait. On a recent normal morning it took us 20min to get through MK security/bag check/front gate.

BOG is at the back of MK. I don't think you will be able to get through security with costumes, walk the park, and ride 7D in 20minutes.

At BOG, if you are a no show, you'll be charged the no show fee of $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter