Tilikum dead at 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had been sick for over a year. Glad he's not suffering any more. Will definitely miss seeing him in the park.

So heartbreaking! But glad he's not sick anymore

Wonder if they'll bury him at sea

I love that idea as well, however his original home of Iceland has repeatedly said no to any releases in their waters. The concern is foreign bacteria or a virus that could infect the ecosystem. (this could come from an alive or dead organism) Although he was taken from these waters when he was two, he has spent time in other places that could compromise Iceland's ecosystem. So sad the life he lived and the lives he took from his misery. RIP

I love that idea as well, however his original home of Iceland has repeatedly said no to any releases in their waters. The concern is foreign bacteria or a virus that could infect the ecosystem. (this could come from an alive or dead organism) Although he was taken from these waters when he was two, he has spent time in other places that could compromise Iceland's ecosystem. So sad the life he lived and the lives he took from his misery. RIP

Tilkum did not kill because he was 'unhappy' or miserable. Tilikum was a bull Orca. Anytime you work with animals you run the risk of being injured. As someone who grew up working farms and was nearly killed myself by a stallion; it is a risk you understand when you work with large powerful animals... even more so when working with intact males like bull orca... or bull cattle, they are unpredictable at best.

Tilkum did not kill because he was 'unhappy' or miserable. Tilikum was a bull Orca. Anytime you work with animals you run the risk of being injured. As someone who grew up working farms and was nearly killed myself by a stallion; it is a risk you understand when you work with large powerful animals... even more so when working with intact males like bull orca... or bull cattle, they are unpredictable at best.

And yet not one recorded incident of an orca killing a human in the wild.

Strange that.

And yet not one recorded incident of an orca killing a human in the wild.

Strange that.
Didn't realize humans were wild aquatic creatures... not really strange,

But... if you are so comfortable with the wild orcas not being dangerous, then you would be willing to go swim with them right? Or maybe let your kids go swim and cavort with a pod of orcas... no recorded incidents right? .

I love orcas, they are magnificent creatures.

I also love my pets, and feel that they love me. But I know without a doubt, if I died and no one was around, they would eat me. They would not be bad or evil... just taking advantage of a large amount of food and surviving.

Tilikum was a orca, and because we humans don't speak orca, we do not know why Tilikum lashed out... could be a lot of reasons. Only Tilikum knew why he did what he did. Maybe he was bored, maybe the pool surface was irritating his tummy, maybe he was peckish, maybe the flash of a ponytail aroused a instinct... could be any number of things. Even the family of the trainer killed did not get behind Blackfish, to me ...that says a lot.

Dawn Brancheau's Family Statement About Blackfish

"There has recently been an abundance of attention focused on the film "Blackfish." As the family of Dawn Brancheau, we are continually asked how we feel about the movie. We would like to take this opportunity to write briefly about the film so we can move on and continue our efforts to make the world a better place in honor of Dawn.

First and foremost, we are not affiliated with this movie in any way. We did not assist with its creation and were unaware of its content until the film was shown at the Sundance Film Festival. The Dawn Brancheau Foundation as well as our family members have never and will never accept any compensation from its production.

The film has brought a great deal of attention to the welfare of animals, and for that we are grateful. However, "Blackfish" is not Dawn's story. Dawn Brancheau believed in the ethical treatment of animals. Dawn followed her dreams and became a marine animal trainer. She loved the whales and was proud of her work as a trainer. Dawn thrived on introducing the whales to the audience and educating them about the animals in her care. Dawn would not have remained a trainer at SeaWorld for 15 years if she felt that the whales were not well cared for. Trainer safety was important to Dawn, and it remains important to us as well. Our family always supported Dawn and we continue to support Dawn's friends and co-workers who currently care for the animals she so loved.

pixel.gif

Since Dawn's death nearly four years ago, the media has focused mainly on the whales. A human life was lost that day and it feels as though some believe her death was just a footnote. Dawn's death is central to our story. In 2010, we created the Dawn Brancheau Foundation in her honor to continue the legacy of the work important to Dawn during her life. The Foundation focuses on improving the lives of children and animals in need, inspiring others to follow their dreams, and promoting the importance of community service. The Foundation will continue its efforts to make a difference in our world. We are grateful for all the caring individuals who help us keep Dawn's light shining brightly."

My own horse spooked at a shadow, and nearly crushed me to death. It happens. Any animal... horse, human, dog, cat, whale... can get 'spooked' and lash out.

May both Tilikum and Dawn rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter