Tickets/Magic Band Question

Porsche4

Mouseketeer
I have pre purchased 2 day and 5 day tickets (total 7 days) for my daughter and I and linked them to my Disney account in the App. Obviously we will make park reservations when we are eligible. We intend to buy Magic Bands on the first night when we arrive and get them set for our first day in the park. I am wondering if we already have our tickets linked to our account in the App do we have to show the paper ticket I have downloaded from the seller on our first day or can we just tap our Magic Band to gain entry.

I did the same as you last year, June 2023.

I had bought my park tickets and made reservations in advance. I bought my Magic Band on my arrival day. That night I charged it and then linked it to my account and phone.

Then on my first park day I used the Magicband to scan into the park

Yes, once it is linked you can use the band exclusively. Something to note is that tickets are not linked to your band directly. The tickets are linked to your profile on the Disneyland app. The band is also linked to that profile, so when they scan the band, they can access all of your tickets and reservations, etc. As long as the tickets are linked properly on your app/profile, then the band will work seamlessly once linked.

Last edited:
Enjoy your Magic Bands! I found them to be useful during our last trip in October 2023 for scanning into the park, Genie+, and Photo Pass.

Yes, once it is linked you can use the band exclusively. Something to note is that tickets are not linked to your band directly. The tickets are linked to your profile on the Disneyland app. The band is also linked to that profile, so when they scan the band, they can access all of your tickets and reservations, etc. As long as the tickets are linked properly on your app/profile, then the band will work seamlessly once linked.
Thanks for the info very helpful.

Enjoy your Magic Bands! I found them to be useful during our last trip in October 2023 for scanning into the park, Genie+, and Photo Pass.
I'm really looking forward to using them this trip. We were in DL in April 22 and didn't have Magic Bands. My daughter was in charge of G+. By the end of the trip she was really sick of having to pull her phone out all the time for us to get on the rides so I think each of us being able to scan ourselves into rides will make it a whole lot more fun.

This isn't right, at least not for entry - it's different at DLR than WDW. DLR doesn't have profiles like WDW does.

At DLR, a band has to be assigned to a specific ticket, not a profile. For example, if you have a day ticket and a ticket to a special event (say, OBB) on the same day, you have to manually re-assign the band to the OBB ticket in the DL app to be able to enter the park with the band once the park is closed to day guests. The band won't recognize both tickets automatically.

This isn't right, at least not for entry - it's different at DLR than WDW. DLR doesn't have profiles like WDW does.

At DLR, a band has to be assigned to a specific ticket, not a profile. For example, if you have a day ticket and a ticket to a special event (say, OBB) on the same day, you have to manually re-assign the band to the OBB ticket in the DL app to be able to enter the park with the band once the park is closed to day guests. The band won't recognize both tickets automatically.

Oh, I see. There is a profile, but I guess you don't manage multiples with tickets. I've never had to do that with the DLR app, so I didn't realize. You can just manage multiple tickets without profiles. I think the DLR system is werid and cumbersome compared to MDE - why are they so different?

Oh, I see. There is a profile, but I guess you don't manage multiples with tickets. I've never had to do that with the DLR app, so I didn't realize. You can just manage multiple tickets without profiles. I think the DLR system is werid and cumbersome compared to MDE - why are they so different?
The tech at WDW has always been deeper than DLR's, mainly for cost reasons.

WDW can justify it because of how high a percentage of their guests are also resort hotel guests. The MyMagic+ upgrades ten years ago (MB, etc) seemed to be worth it due the benefits it would provide to resort guests - tying together room keys and ticket media, etc - providing an entire resort experience. (That was a $1 billion upgrade - and there were debates for years as to whether it was actually a financial success for them.)

At DLR, a very, very small percentage of guests are also resort hotel guests. Those features would be nice-to-haves, not need-to-haves, and it's harder for them to justify the expense when it would benefit so few people.

In many ways, DLR still behaves like a Cedar Fair / Busch / Six Flags park. Rather than user profiles (and RFID) like at WDW, everything at DLR is still based on ticket barcodes. The overwhelming majority of DLR guests only ever needs a ticket barcode. Even the implementation of MB+ at DLR was basically just a patch job - the MB+ just represents the ticket barcode. That's why MB+ usage is more limited at DLR - it only works where the ticket barcode would work (PhotoPass, LLs, gate, etc.).

May I piggyback with a MagicBand+ question?

I am thinking of getting MBs for our next trip to DLR followed by a Disney cruise right after. We are from Canada and can’t order bands ahead of time so I’m still on the fence.

We will only have one working phone and one Disney Account between three people. Can I link all three MBs to my single account? We have Genie+ for our trip so it would be great to scan in for LL and link Photopass pics.

We will only have one working phone and one Disney Account between three people. Can I link all three MBs to my single account? We have Genie+ for our trip so it would be great to scan in for LL and link Photopass pics.
Yes, you can attach the three tickets to your single account and then attach each of the tickets to each MB.

Sorry now I am really confused. I already have the paper tickets added to both my DL online account and my DL App. We are not eligible yet to make park reservations but when we are I will make those for both my daughter tickets and my own all through my online account. So if I understand this right you are saying once I have purchased my Magic Bands I have to then link each band to the correct persons tickets/park reservations through the website and then that will allow me to enter the park on our first day by both of us just scanning our Magic Bands. I ask for clarification because if I remember last time (admittedly we didn't have Magic Bands) we had to show our ticket print out which they scanned and then they printed us out a little ticket and we had to register our fingerprint. I guess what I am asking is will we still have to do this or will we just be able to scan our MB. Thanks.

Sorry now I am really confused. I already have the paper tickets added to both my DL online account and my DL App. We are not eligible yet to make park reservations but when we are I will make those for both my daughter tickets and my own all through my online account. So if I understand this right you are saying once I have purchased my Magic Bands I have to then link each band to the correct persons tickets/park reservations through the website and then that will allow me to enter the park on our first day by both of us just scanning our Magic Bands. I ask for clarification because if I remember last time (admittedly we didn't have Magic Bands) we had to show our ticket print out which they scanned and then they printed us out a little ticket and we had to register our fingerprint. I guess what I am asking is will we still have to do this or will we just be able to scan our MB. Thanks.
I think you have to attach them to your account in the DL app rather than on the website, but you've basically got it right. (And you can manage all of the MagicBands together in your DL app.)

It'll be two-step. First, you'll scan the MagicBand into the app. Then, you'll assign the MagicBand to a specific ticket.

Here's Disney's guide, if it helps:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/magicband-set-up/

No fingerprints at DLR - that's WDW. DLR takes a picture of the guest with each new ticket/pass, so you might have to do that, too - but that'll be after you scan your MagicBand.

I think you have to attach them to your account in the DL app rather than on the website, but you've basically got it right. (And you can manage all of the MagicBands together in your DL app.)

It'll be two-step. First, you'll scan the MagicBand into the app. Then, you'll assign the MagicBand to a specific ticket.

Here's Disney's guide, if it helps:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/magicband-set-up/

No fingerprints at DLR - that's WDW. DLR takes a picture of the guest with each new ticket/pass, so you might have to do that, too - but that'll be after you scan your MagicBand.
Thanks for that, yes you are right it was a photo I remember now. Thanks for the link.

Ok, WDW doing first DLR trip since 2013. For our trip we have six people, five phones, and one MB. We have tickets with Genie+. The youngest party member is a Disney child without a phone. I am the master planner, so I want the MB for my personal ease in getting Photo Pass, and because I like MBs and wish you could do more with them at DLR (mainly pay for food and merch).
But would it make our lives easier if the phone-less child has the MB?
Checking if I understand things:
1) We can enter the parks using one phone since my app has all six tickets on it?
2) We can enter LLs using one phone for our party, which won't always be all six of us?
3) Anyone with Genie+ can use their ticket on their phone for Photo Pass...but will it go to separate accounts? Like, if my older teens go off on their own, they could use their phones to get a photo taken or they'll end up with a ride photo, but it will be tied to Kid A's account, not mine?

TIA to anyone who can explain what I have wrong or incomplete

Ok, WDW doing first DLR trip since 2013. For our trip we have six people, five phones, and one MB. We have tickets with Genie+. The youngest party member is a Disney child without a phone. I am the master planner, so I want the MB for my personal ease in getting Photo Pass, and because I like MBs and wish you could do more with them at DLR (mainly pay for food and merch).
But would it make our lives easier if the phone-less child has the MB?
Checking if I understand things:
1) We can enter the parks using one phone since my app has all six tickets on it?
2) We can enter LLs using one phone for our party, which won't always be all six of us?
3) Anyone with Genie+ can use their ticket on their phone for Photo Pass...but will it go to separate accounts? Like, if my older teens go off on their own, they could use their phones to get a photo taken or they'll end up with a ride photo, but it will be tied to Kid A's account, not mine?

TIA to anyone who can explain what I have wrong or incomplete

Yes, you can enter the parks with one phone that has the DL app with all the tickets linked to the account on the app. First day of entry the cast member will take your photo and the photo of everyone in your linked party.

Yes, you can use one phone for your LL. Just scan the LL bar code for each person using it at the given ride.

Yes, I think, regarding photo pass. If you have Genie+ and enter the photo code or scan it it will show in the linked photos.

One thing I'm going to add about MB+ is that it is NOT dependent on being charged before use for getting into the parks. It only needs to be charged to enable the special features like lights etc.

I didn't realize that when I first wanted one and I wondered how I could charge it quickly if I was buying it the day I arrived. I found out through others on this board that I could still use it for scanning without charging it.

I am taking a quick trip to DLR in May with DH and DS. We purchased Genie+ and Magic Bands for all 3 of us. In June, I will be going to WDW with DD.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use my Magic band at both DLR and then WDW?

I am taking a quick trip to DLR in May with DH and DS. We purchased Genie+ and Magic Bands for all 3 of us. In June, I will be going to WDW with DD.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use my Magic band at both DLR and then WDW?

Yes, you can use the band at either, but make sure to link it to the appropriate app before you go. I am not sure if it can only be linked to one at a time or if it is registered to both, but the WDE app (My Disney Experience) is seperate from the Dinesyland app, so you need to make sure it is showing in the appropriate app before you use them at the respective resort.

It will be tied to whoever scans it. We've had it happen before where we've scanned photos with dif phones and some don't show up on other accounts and some do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter