Tiana's Palace ... hmmm

LiDa

Mouseketeer
Is it just me -- & admittedly it just might be -- but I find that doing things like moving a starkly branded movie allusion into an immersive space just ruins the magic.

I'm reacting now to the news that Disney is bringing Tiana's Palace into New Orleans Square at Disneyland, but I could also be referring to putting Jack Sparrow into Pirates of the Caribbean or The Nightmare Before Christmas into The Haunted Mansion & so on. I have been to NOLA uncounted times & find that Disney did a -- pardon me -- MAGICAL job of recreating the look & even a bit of the feel of the French Quarter. I love it against my will. TIana's Palace is NOT the Quarter.

But bringing in movie characters & storylines just steals some of the magic for me. It takes it from "sort of like being in the Quarter" to "Oh there's Disney trying to sell me something again." I love The Haunted Mansion for what it is, with its own characters, jokes & surprises. Yes, I know that the parks are a way to keep the moneymaking properties in circulation, but I find myself LESS inclined to spend extra money when they do this & LESS carried away ... which is why I stand there forking over my rent money in the first place!

I dunno. I wish they would stay away from these cheap shots & focus on the brilliant original ideas the Imagineers are capable of bringing forth.

Is it just me -- & admittedly it just might be -- but I find that doing things like moving a starkly branded movie allusion into an immersive space just ruins the magic.

I'm reacting now to the news that Disney is bringing Tiana's Palace into New Orleans Square at Disneyland, but I could also be referring to putting Jack Sparrow into Pirates of the Caribbean or The Nightmare Before Christmas into The Haunted Mansion & so on. I have been to NOLA uncounted times & find that Disney did a -- pardon me -- MAGICAL job of recreating the look & even a bit of the feel of the French Quarter. I love it against my will. TIana's Palace is NOT the Quarter.

But bringing in movie characters & storylines just steals some of the magic for me. It takes it from "sort of like being in the Quarter" to "Oh there's Disney trying to sell me something again." I love The Haunted Mansion for what it is, with its own characters, jokes & surprises. Yes, I know that the parks are a way to keep the moneymaking properties in circulation, but I find myself LESS inclined to spend extra money when they do this & LESS carried away ... which is why I stand there forking over my rent money in the first place!

I dunno. I wish they would stay away from these cheap shots & focus on the brilliant original ideas the Imagineers are capable of bringing forth.
Disney Parks all started with a movie character. Most of what was built was based on movie characters. Some movies have been made based on the attraction. The Pirates movies were kickstarted by the attraction, so why not do some merging.

The parks and the movies are not mutually exclusive ~ they go hand in hand. MANY park guests are going to become integrated with the movies they love. Children go to see Ariel and Buzz & Woody and Tiana. They often don't care about regionally designed buildings, unknown critters, nods to things 50-60 years old. They want to see the characters and stories they know, they love. Walt always wanted to parks to evolve, to be relevant to the audience.

I know we all see it as something more special and magical than most places (cause it is) but in the end it is a business there to make money. Families want to eat at Tiana's Place, to hunt for Jack Sparrow, to catch a glimpse of Jack Skellington. In the end what is going to draw the most guests with the most to spend is going to win out. And you save money but utilizing IP you already own and have designed over creating a from scratch, untested new idea. They hope is the integration is done well, is quality work and blends as if it's always been there.

I wish WDW were getting a Tiana's Place!

I had no idea what I thought would be a carefully worded post about a casual thought would attract such disgust . lol

Yes, I know Disney is a business & I know they are trying to generate more business. This any fool can see. Back in the day when Disney discovered that they were losing the next generation because they had no idea who Mickey Mouse even was, they made an effort to show more of the cartoons on DIsney Junior, etc. - building business.

But, I think what makes the parks joyous is the sense of immersion & escape & that is my point. Why not include them, tie them in? Because it removes some of the "magic" on which they base their brand. Why hire the most brilliant creative minds & engineers in the business if you are just going to ask them to creatively rehash as much as possible? They can go somewhere else & probably get paid better.

I'm so sorry I inspired so much bile! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter