"Three Strikes You're Out" Jiko Dining Review

Awww we loved Jikos... We went for our engagement dinner and LOVED it... I got the steak and although I eat my steak well done I could still cut it with a butter knife. I also got the lobster corn chowder andwanted to lick the bowl clean haha...I didn't care for the bread and butter though. But we liked it sooo much that when we get married in December in Disney and stay for our honeymoon we are def going back!

Here's hoping Jiko is in top form when we're there in a little over a week! :thumbsup2

Glad to hear the positive reviews... a little anxious to hear the negative ones. I have pretty high standards, and my DH is a spice wiz. I have high hopes for Jiko because he wasn't too keen on going to WDW, and I thought maybe a nice dinner with just the two of us, in a place that offered gourmet, unusual fare, would appease him somewhat. If it stinks, I'm gonna be in the doghouse!

I'm the original OP for "Three Strikes...." I'm surprised my review keeps popping up as it has been almost 2 years. I will probably try Jiko again to see if anything has changed. AKL is my favorite DW resort and BOMA and Sanaa are my favorite restaurants. Don't know why I had such bad luck with Jiko but I am willing to try again. Restaurants change chefs so I am willing to try again - at least once! :)

So I need to know your secret.....

What did you have to do to get Eduarto to fill your drinks?? Magic? Waving Dollars? He decided he was done with us when I didn't order wine and DF only had one beer. He was very attentive to all the tables around us drinking, but he didn't seem to care about my coke :(

I get punished because I don't like alcohol :(

He pulled several disappearing acts with us :lmao:

Sorry you didn't like it... but we didn't either.

We thoroughly dislike our service from Eduardo as well, and we ordered a bottle of wine. :sad2:

On top of that, his breath was awful, and we could barely keep from gagging in his face. :eek:

In december when we went back, we made certain not to have him as our waitor...We had Ron. He was great, and so was the food.

that stinks! really is my favorite restaurant on property! have my bday dinner every year there. what i love about it is the unique flavors....i can see one not liking it if they are looking for a more traditional meal?

We had several lackluster meals there after Anette Gray left as chef several years ago. I think the chef from Le Cellier was moved in and now the chef from Coral Reef is now in.

They're both out of their elements, IMO. Gray created amazing culinary masterpieces. The food has gone seriously downhill since she left. I can't in good conscience recommend Jiko to friends.

I guess these things are cyclical. Ten years ago, you couldn't have paid me to eat at San Angel Inn. We've eaten there several times in the past 12 - 14 months, and the dishes are consistently outstanding and the service is stellar.

I agree with you 100%. My DH and I loved Jiko the first 2 times we dined there (when Anette Gray was the chef). We have been back three times since she left and have been underwhelmed. We have skipped Jiko our last 2 trips and do not have an ADR there for our upcoming visit.

What years did the chef change?

My first two meals I didn't care for due to personal taste, and that was in 2005 and 2006. In 2008 my meal was considerably better, and my meals since them have been truly incredible.

I just dined at Jiko on April 19th and the meal was fabulous (the review is linked in my signature). I can confirm that the chef is new, John and he came from Yachtsman Steakhouse. Our regular server, Dawn, informed us that he had made several changes to the menu and that more were coming. It was a wonderful dining experience - among the top 3 meals of or trip.

We usually make it to Jiko at least once a year and while it's been fairly good the past few years it was absolutely wonderful this past February, topping Cali Grill, Citricos, Il Mulino and Bluezoo!

I agree with you 100%. My DH and I loved Jiko the first 2 times we dined there (when Anette Gray was the chef). We have been back three times since she left and have been underwhelmed. We have skipped Jiko our last 2 trips and do not have an ADR there for our upcoming visit.

Also agree 100%. We dined there after the chef change too - disappointment.

We just went to Jiko this past week, and I have to say, it was delicious!

We shared appetizers of the Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin (fantastic!) and a beef flatbread (also fantastic) that I can't find on any online menus so I can't remember exactly what it was called. DH had the Grilled Wild Gulf shrimp curry entree which he said was the best shrimp he'd ever had, and I had the filet, rare, which they kindly made for me with the mac and cheese it used to come with. It was one of the best steaks I've ever had. And don't get me started on the tandoori butter... DH says we MUST make some for home.

He had a cheesecake for dessert and I was disappointed that the One Last Cup wasn't on the menu, but was happy with my choice. I can't remember what it was called now, and it's just listed as "chocolate dessert" on the receipt... it included a "free-form" Kit Kat bar and had different kinds/varietals of tea infused in the chocolate. It was delish! We topped it off with a shared press-pot of coffee.

We were very happy with our choice, and it was nice to go sit and watch the ducks play in the little waterfall/pond that runs alongside the restaurant. If you're thinking of going, though, be aware that it's a pretty far walk from where the resort buses drop you off, so you may want to wait for the AKL shuttle to zip you around to Jambo House, where it is.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Jiko. We've eaten there three times as well and fortunately have had good experiences each time. Actually, last trip was the best, service was excellent. My mom is very particular and she enjoyed it as well. My only regret is that we ate there the same night we went to the Wishes Dessert Party. Won't every do that again, we didn't get to take as much time as we wanted to at Jiko.

Ha!
We had a less than stellar experience at Jiko as well. Our waiter asked if we wanted water, "yes please" - he brought out a bottle of water for which we were charge a pretty penny. Never once did he mention that we were buying the water.
The food was not memorable. The good thing is there are so many good signature places at WDW that we don't even need to make room on our ADR list for Jiko.

Four of us ate at Jiko for my 50th birthday. Seriously over-priced in my opinion. The server told my nephews it was customary to eat the appetizers in African style, with your hands and they did, finishing the small portion very quickly (what could I say?)
My vegetarian selection was so small, about 4 oz of nut-loaf. The wine the server recommended was very expensive (we didn't know and were too embarrassed to ask)
Over all not bad service but, the food servings were so small, we left hungry. We are not fussy or big eaters but we were disappointed. The bill was over $300.00. Perhaps we just are not used to this "level" of dining.
Sad thing is, I intended for us to go to Boma but the resort was new to us and I made the ADR for the wrong restaurant. It remains in my mind a unhappy Disney experience.

We had several lackluster meals there after Anette Gray left as chef several years ago. I think the chef from Le Cellier was moved in and now the chef from Coral Reef is now in.

They're both out of their elements, IMO. Gray created amazing culinary masterpieces. The food has gone seriously downhill since she left. I can't in good conscience recommend Jiko to friends.

I guess these things are cyclical. Ten years ago, you couldn't have paid me to eat at San Angel Inn. We've eaten there several times in the past 12 - 14 months, and the dishes are consistently outstanding and the service is stellar.

This. :thumbsup2

We haven't had a good experience at Jiko in a number of years, which is unfortunate because it used to be amazing. A lot of Disney Dining venues are becoming more and more hit or miss it seems.

We ate at Jiko in February and the meal was impeccable. Hasan was our server and he was very attentive. Had another meal there in March (ordering much of the same apps and entrees) and the meal was just okay. Server was Marty and he was great. One thing I've come to expect is that food and service vary widely even at the most beloved of Disney restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter