• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on taking our DSLR?

dschneider

Mouseketeer
We have a DSLR camera (so it's pretty big). I was wondering how much of a pain it will be to lug it around the parks. We won't be going on any of the "adult" rides. I really want to bring it, but I'm just a little afraid. PLMK what you think. Thanks.

Dawn

I always bring my DSLR in spite of the weight. I tend to be disapointed in the quality of shots from my P&S in comparison to the "real" camera so its just my personal preference.

I'm the oppostie of DznyDreamz. For the most part, I don't carry my DSLR at WDW. I tried it on a trip a couple of years ago and found that I didn't want to carry it all day. So normally I use my P&S at WDW. I'll be taking my DSLR for my trip next week so that I can take some pictures at the resorts and maybe some fireworks.

It's no more problematic than a P&S. I have a Pentax K100D, and I hauled it around with two lenses (one on the body, one in the bag) and never had a problem, even on the more violent rides (ToT, Rockin' Roller Coaster). I might recommend looking into a "walking around" lens, since swapping lenses can be a bit of a pain. It may also depend on the size/weight of your camera; a Nikon D3 might be a bit more troublesome to haul around than a Canon Digital Rebel or a Pentax K200D.

Any P&S that is small enough to slip into a pocket (really, the only way for a camera to be less trouble than a small camera bag) is going to be so inferior to a SLR that you're not going to be happy with it anyway.

On our last trip, I took both the DSLR (Nikon D50) and my point-and-shoot. Like you, I thought it would probably bother me to lug the D50 around with me. I took it with me on the first morning to get some "good shots" at the MK, knowing that we'd be coming back to the resort at nap time and I could leave it then. However... I carried that camera for the entire trip and never used the P&S.

The quality of the photos made it worth it. And I wore the DSLR around my neck most of the time so it was always there ready for the picture. With the P&S, I would have constantly been putting it in the bag/taking it out. I know I took *more* pics because I had the DSLR there. (And, if you're like me... more is better because you're bound to get at least a few really good ones!)

We took both of our DSLR's earlier this year (Nikon D50 & D60). It wasn't so bad taking them around the parks because we have the Lowepro Slingshot bags which made taking them around not so bad. The only problem comes when you have to entrust some ride attendant to watch the bag for you but luckily WDW does not have a lot of rides in which you can't simply stick the back under the seat or hold it between you and your guest. This year we plan to try a different plan of attack and then compare which we like best. We will have a tiny point and shoot with us at all times and have the DSLR back in the room. During the day at the parks we plan to pick out which shots we want to take with the DSLR so when we come back during "photo hours" (which I don't think we decided on a definite time) we will be able to snag them. While we will still be using the DSLR for most of the evening shots of fireworks.

We have a DSLR camera (so it's pretty big). I was wondering how much of a pain it will be to lug it around the parks. We won't be going on any of the "adult" rides. I really want to bring it, but I'm just a little afraid. PLMK what you think. Thanks.

Dawn

we brought ours this past october along with a p&s inside a lowepro micro trekker backpack. It was somewhat of a chore but the pictures were worth it. Next time I will leave my multilens on and leave the extra lenses at home.

Is it best to just keep it around my neck? Like I mentioned, no major rides for us :rolleyes:

we brought ours this past october along with a p&s inside a lowepro micro trekker backpack. It was somewhat of a chore but the pictures were worth it. Next time I will leave my multilens on and leave the extra lenses at home.

Is it best to just keep it around my neck? Like I mentioned, no major rides for us :rolleyes:

I didn't but that was because I never knew if I would have to chase down a kid. Next time, DW and I agreed that we would use the diaper bag as our camera bag instead.:) The only thing I worried about regarding carrying the camera around my neck was the weather. We had several overcast days (warm but cloudy) and I never knew if it was going to rain even after checking the weather on tv. Some days 70 per cent chance saw nothing while 40 per cent chance poured all day:confused3

Okay, thanks so much for your input. :)

I didn't but that was because I never knew if I would have to chase down a kid. Next time, DW and I agreed that we would use the diaper bag as our camera bag instead.:) The only thing I worried about regarding carrying the camera around my neck was the weather. We had several overcast days (warm but cloudy) and I never knew if it was going to rain even after checking the weather on tv. Some days 70 per cent chance saw nothing while 40 per cent chance poured all day:confused3

For many years I carried a full size SLR (pre digital days) with a couple of different lenses whenever I went to WDW. Now, I'm way over that and just bring my P&S Olympus. Great pix, given the limitations, and it slips into my pocket.

Why spend $1000 on a camera and accessories if you're not going to use it on the best and most impressive photo ops of your year (i.e. your WDW vacation)?

Personally, I always take my DSLR camera to WDW and carry it around the parks with me every day. I don't carry it in a bag, because if you can't get it ready quickly you miss too many good shots, especially if you're touring with family or friends.

Carrying a heavy SLR around the parks all day does take some adjustment. I prefer not to carry a lot of extra gear with me - no extra lenses, no camera bag, no fancy filters or meters. I carry just my 18-125 walkaround lens, some spare memory and batteries, a pocket-size tripod, and a lens cloth. Going bagless also allows me to skip the bag check lines at the park entrances.

Nothing beats the photos you can get with your best camera in WDW. Whether you take pics of the parks themselves, or pics of your family enjoying the parks, you'll be happy that you had the good camera with you - and ready to shoot instead of burried in an unwieldy bag - when you look at the results.

For many years I carried a full size SLR (pre digital days) with a couple of different lenses whenever I went to WDW. Now, I'm way over that and just bring my P&S Olympus. Great pix, given the limitations, and it slips into my pocket.

I picked out an Olympus P&S for my parents two years ago and I wish I had that camera now! Way better than my Nikon P & S

I agree. I have a huge Nikon D300 and I always carry it at Disney. I'll hand it to the Photo Pass photographers and let them use it as well as take photos with their Photo Pass camera. That way, I end up with even more great shots to choose from when it comes time to create my albums. You got it to use it, so use it!!!

I rotate.

I have a DSLR. I have a fancy Point and Shoot (Canon something with lots of features) and I have a tiny point and shoot.

A lot depends on what the point of the trip is, if I am going ONLY to Disney etc.

For example, I am going in December for a quick trip just to Disney. May take the DSLR. In January I am doing the half and leaving from Disney to go to work. Probably the tiny camera. I can "hopefully" jog with it and it won't take up much space in the luggage since I will be hauling play and work stuff already!

So...I was NO help was I?:lmao: Sorry!

I have a D50. 18-55, 70-300, and the 50mm gem.
I didn't want to take it on my upcoming trip so I went out and got the Panasonic TZ5. I figured it small enough, has a 28-280 lens, and gets good enough reviews.
It's just NOT a dslr............. :confused3
So I went and bought an Nikon18-200vr :banana:
No lugging and switching lenses around!
I don't want to miss THE picture that the p&s isn't fast enough for.
I am bringing both:woohoo:

I will be taking my P&S, last time I hated carrying it around. I think its the photographer more than the camera anyway. Just kidding

I will be taking my P&S, last time I hated carrying it around. I think its the photographer more than the camera anyway. Just kidding

Actually, it IS the photographer, not the camera.

A camera is just a tool. The real secrets to photography are the skill, talent, and judgement of the photographer.

Of course, my skill is minimal, my talent is negligable, and my judgement is questionable, so I tend to rely on a good camera to fill in the gaps.

Set aside some days to bring the camera to the parks and take pictures. On other days you could add to a list of scenes to go back to the next day and take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter