• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on Southern Caribbean Cruise

g3pak

DIS Veteran
Hi Friends, I would love your input.

Next Fall DW and I celebrate our 25th anniversary. Because of kids' school schedules, it looks like we need to wait until January or February 2019 if we want to take a trip to celebrate. Looking at Jan/ Feb 2018, the Southern Caribbean cruises catch my eye. I know 2019 itineraries may be completely different, but I am investigating just in case they do them again.

This will be our 4th cruise, two with kids and one without for our 20th anniversary. Western Caribbean (by ourselves), Eastern Caribbean and 4 night Bahamas. All past cruises have been Dream/ Fantasy. The Southern in 2018 is on the Wonder.

As I expect is common with many couples, DW and I like different things about cruises. I like visiting new places. My wife told me today she is happy just staying on the ship instead of checking out the ports. I find this funny because she is not one to lay out at the pool or to use the spa other than an elliptical workout.

So- any experience with one of the Southern Itineraries or any helpful thoughts? Thank you so much!

We did the 10 night Southern over July4th week and it was awesome. Best cruise yet. Love the days at sea and the extra days that you don't have on normal 7 nighters.

It was also fun going places not often or never gone to by Disney.

I enjoy the ship more than ports but did enjoy getting out in Curaçao, Aruba and St Kitts. Seemed more exotic than the normal Easter/western/Bahamas...

We did an 8 night Southern Caribbean, (Grand Turk, DR, Aruba and Curaçao), on the Carnival Vista this past June and it was by far, the best cruise we've been on. I loved the Southern Caribbean, it had a different, more relaxed vibe. Curaçao is by far the best island I've ever been too, incredibly clean, friendly and I felt so safe there. Before that, Grand Cayman was my favorite but Curaçao was far superior in my book. The water was also much warmer than either the eastern or western cruises, which would be especially great in January or February. I say go for it if you can swing it, I'd love to go back there again, especially as it ports out of San Juan!!

I'll have to let you know in February. We are doing the 7 night Southern followed by the 4 night Eastern this January/ February. So we are getting 11 nights for a great price! We booked early so are keeping the same room. We love the Wonder and we have been on all of the ships. We are also very excited to see all of the new things added since dry dock.

The ones in January 2018 are 7 nights. Actually what strikes me is that most days are port days with maybe one day at sea.

Great info- thank you. Funny thing: my wife is sad about the thought of no CC, which is funny since she said she is fine staying on the ship. I like CC, especially the adult only beach, but we have been there 3 times and I am ok missing it on one cruise.

The ones in January 2018 are 7 nights. Actually what strikes me is that most days are port days with maybe one day at sea.

Great info- thank you. Funny thing: my wife is sad about the thought of no CC, which is funny since she said she is fine staying on the ship. I like CC, especially the adult only beach, but we have been there 3 times and I am ok missing it on one cruise.
That's the beauty of doing the B2B, CC plus 11 nights. The first leg has 2 sea days and the second has 1.

Am sure there amazing but sadly way out our budget
The January, 7 night started out with opening day prices for 2 at $2300. The filling 4 night Eastern cruise started out at $1400. So 2 adults could have done an 11 night for $3700. You don't get much cheaper than that.

Hi Friends, I would love your input.

Next Fall DW and I celebrate our 25th anniversary. Because of kids' school schedules, it looks like we need to wait until January or February 2019 if we want to take a trip to celebrate. Looking at Jan/ Feb 2018, the Southern Caribbean cruises catch my eye. I know 2019 itineraries may be completely different, but I am investigating just in case they do them again.

This will be our 4th cruise, two with kids and one without for our 20th anniversary. Western Caribbean (by ourselves), Eastern Caribbean and 4 night Bahamas. All past cruises have been Dream/ Fantasy. The Southern in 2018 is on the Wonder.

As I expect is common with many couples, DW and I like different things about cruises. I like visiting new places. My wife told me today she is happy just staying on the ship instead of checking out the ports. I find this funny because she is not one to lay out at the pool or to use the spa other than an elliptical workout.

So- any experience with one of the Southern Itineraries or any helpful thoughts? Thank you so much!

We did the final Southern Caribbean B2B with the San Juan to Port Canaveral re-po cruise this past April/May. We were celebrating our 30th! It was wonderful, but very port intensive. Only 1 sea day on each cruise. We enjoyed the ports very much, the first cruise we scheduled something on each port day, on the second one we stayed on board in St Kitts (we visited the island on the 1st cruise)and made it a sea day. The waters are amazing in the Southern Caribbean so blue and clear. We love to go on new itineraries that DCL offers, we call these ships our floating hotels. We would never fly to these islands individually, doing them by way of a cruise and getting a small taste of each island was perfect for us.
This is a highly recommended itinerary for sure.

Have fun.

We did S. Carib a few years ago on Celebrity. One of our favorite cruises ever. Loved the ports especially. That was the best part, so if you're wife is serious about staying on the ship maybe reconsider. A repositioning cruise like transatlantic or Panama Canal might be better if she is committed to staying on the ship.

Also consider the flight availability from your area to the likely port of departure. From our area, the direct flights are much fewer, more expensive, and can be quite lengthy (15+ hours) with multiple connections for the Caribbean ports vs. ports like Port Canaveral or Miami. Personally, I'd love to take a S. Caribbean cruise on DCL. Just some extra things to think about.

The January, 7 night started out with opening day prices for 2 at $2300. The filling 4 night Eastern cruise started out at $1400. So 2 adults could have done an 11 night for $3700. You don't get much cheaper than that.

That is a great price! We got 13 nights B2B with 7 night Southern and 6 night repo San Juan to Port Canaveral for $5,000 balcony room with one of the cruises having an OBB discount.

I looked at the 11 night Southern on the Fantasy this past June and it was $9,000 for 2 :eek:
Of course after our pay in full for our 13 nights, the Fantasy offers a FLR at around $5,600, but we still did better price wise and 2 extra nights.

I would love to see them offer that 11 night Southern Caribbean itinerary out of Port Canaveral in January or February. It would be a better time, temperature wise, to visit those islands.

We did the southern in 2014. We hade 5 port days. I certainly would not want to stay on the ship. Pros there will be less kids. Con depending on where you live it can be a long flight to San Juan. It'a 9 hours or so from AZ when you include the layover. If it wasn't for that I'd do it again.

Flying to and from San Juan, Puerto Rico for a 7-night port intensive southern caribbean cruise doesn't sound as exciting as sailing out of Port Canaveral on an 11-night southern caribbean cruise with more sea days. I know they do this cruise in the summer when the children are out of school and because they can charge more then, and they do!

I wish we could do an 10 or 11 day cruise, would love to sail out of Galveston or Port Canaveral. With two children at home, a 7 night cruise is about all we can do. Oh well.

We did the 11 night Southern Caribbean this past June on the Fantasy. It was by far our best and favorite cruise ever! It was a dream come true celebrating our 25th anniversary and the graduations of our 2 daughters. Would do it again in a heartbeat!! But we have another starting college so that will have to wait 4 years! :flower1: Seriously the combination of ports and days at sea were amazing! :)

Flying to and from San Juan, Puerto Rico for a 7-night port intensive southern caribbean cruise doesn't sound as exciting as sailing out of Port Canaveral on an 11-night southern caribbean cruise with more sea days. I know they do this cruise in the summer when the children are out of school and because they can charge more then, and they do!
might not be as exciting but 1/3 the price more than makes up for the conviencne of sailing out of port canaverl.

We're hoping to do this in 2019 and hoping it is offered.... it is closed loop out of San Juan? Would love to go on The Wonder again

We did the Southern Caribbean a few years ago in September / October on the Magic. It was a very good cruise. Port intensive - long days, with humidity. Got rained on once - but didn't melt :)

We are going again in January 2018. Going to stop a new to us port in Martinique and Aruba.

As others have said, the water is clear!! We have visited fortresses, manors, zip lines, snorkeled (with sea turtles and at a different location - some very large jelly fish), kayaked and river tubed. This time we will probably spend most days in the water!!

and as a side benefit - we get to go back to San Juan Puerto Rico. Love it there!! Great food & lots of history. Yes it's a long journey from the Northwest - but it's worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter