Thoughts on first stay at Paradise Pier Hotel

dreeger

Mouseketeer
Just back from a quick holiday weekend trip. We are AP holders and usually stay offsite. I have also stayed at DLH and GCH, but this was our first stay at PPH and I wanted to put down my thoughts in case others are considering a stay there.

The Trip:
Me, SO, 4 teenage boys (DS17, DS17, DS15, and friend 17 - because two prior trips with the 3 DS made us realize that 3 really isn't the best number to travel with. maybe it's the age, but it always seemed to be 2 on 1 with someone having a meltdown, so we hoped having a friend to round out the number would help. Thankfully, it did.

We booked a 1bd suite at PPH for the 6 of us a few weeks in advance because it was the only option available at the time. We called 2 times before arrival to try to book another room and were told that none were available.

The Magic:
Some Disney magic! Upon arrival, 3 hours late due to heinous weather delaying flights, we finally checked in at 10p Friday 2/17. We asked again if there was another room available, and after some really great service and detective work by Sinead at the front desk, we were able to get the 1bd suite and an adjacent premium view room. Rooms 1322 (suite) and room 1326 (adjacent 2 queen room) with the most amazing view of DCA. The 4 boys had the suite with SO and I taking the adjacent room. It was heavenly to have our own room and bathroom. We would have made it work in the suite with 6 of us, but thank you so much to Sinead for providing us some Disney magic!

The Good:
THE VIEW. Watching WoC with the music in the room was fantastic.

Room service at 11p with cocktail service because we were in DCA until close and way too tired to go sit down and eat somewhere while the teens were closing down DL on a Saturday night. The service was quick and the food was awesome.

The walk. I have to admit I was hesitant about not being able to cut through GCH, but really the walk was no big deal. It was maybe a few hundred more steps than staying at DLH and the new security gates are so much easier to get through than the previous one at the esplanade.

The beds were super comfy.

Loved having the Surfside lounge for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack when we had late dinner reservations!

The wish list (nit-picky, so bear with me):
For the price of the Disney hotels, it would be nice to have a better coffee maker in the rooms. The 1bd suite had a Keurig, which I love, but the adjacent room did not, which was disappointing. For the price, I would hope all rooms would include a nicer coffee service

The size of the pool - just blah

The hours for the pool/hot tub - would be nice to be open later than 8p, because there's nothing like a soak in the hot tub after a long day of walking. Have stayed at 2 different offsite hotels where the hot tub was open until 10 or 11p and this would be a nice addition here as well.

It would be nice if they had Disney movies on demand. We wanted to watch a movie after a day in the parks and only had the direct TV in room and couldn't find any Disney movies, which was a little disappointing.

Overall:
I loved PPH and would stay again. DLH is my favorite of the 3, but I would stay at PPH for the premium view room if the price is comparable to DLH standard view.

Last edited:
That is so great that you got awesome customer service and some extra space!

Wow, the hot tub/pool closed at 8? That's so early! How late are the pools open at DLH?

Glad to hear the room service was good!

Sounds like a nice stay! 8pm does sound really early for the hot tub, though.
So, two questions. How did you find the elevators? And did it feel "Disney" enough for you?

Sounds like a nice stay! 8pm does sound really early for the hot tub, though.
So, two questions. How did you find the elevators? And did it feel "Disney" enough for you?

I had read previously that the elevators were slow, but they weren't bad. The only day we had to wait for a bit was Sunday morning when we woke up late and headed down 20 min prior to emh. Otherwise no problems.

It felt more Disney than staying off site, but less than the other 2. The park view really helped and made it feel more Disney.

Also, one other suggestion is that it would be nice if they had Disney movies on demand. We wanted to watch a movie after a day in the parks and only had the direct TV in room and couldn't find any Disney movies, which was a little disappointing.

I want to pipe in with the elevator situation has improved. You now enter the floor you want to go to, and it assigns you an elevator. Much easier to get where you need to go and people wait for their elevator!

That's funny. I hope that's the case and we just had bad luck. But we were there in November after the change to the new system and had far more trouble with the elevators than ever before. We gave up and started taking the stairs.

Last edited:
That's great you were able to get connecting rooms in the end. Sounds like a fun trip.

I'm with you on the pool at PPH. With one slide and a small pool that closes early, I'm better off staying at the new Courtyard with all the extra waterslides. With the normal rooms the size of suites, and the walk being shorter than the PPH walk, it just doesn't seem worth it to go with Disney's 3rd hotel.

But I'd love to get a park view there. Probably well out of my budget, but it would be great to "come home" to that.

I'm with you on the pool at PPH. With one slide and a small pool that closes early, I'm better off staying at the new Courtyard with all the extra waterslides. With the normal rooms the size of suites, and the walk being shorter than the PPH walk, it just doesn't seem worth it to go with Disney's 3rd hotel.

But I'd love to get a park view there. Probably well out of my budget, but it would be great to "come home" to that.

We did Park View both times we went to PPH. It's incredible.

12640304_10103724396671107_7937225041130392564_o.jpg

Our second stay at PPH had park views - the blinds were never closed. I also really like the pool and the slide there. It's not the prettiest, but we've always had awesome family fun in the water there, for some reason more so than the other hotels. I found the water at DLH freezing, even when nudging 100.

Agree on the bad bad coffee but I think they have the same machines in all three hotels?

I also don't understand why they don't have DisneyMovies on demand in the hotel. We stayed on property a few times and always want to watch a Disney movie and relax with the family and can never find one. They just have the Disney Channel.

Great review, thank you for posting. We stayed at PPH for one night before moving over to VGC for the rest of our stay in June. We really enjoyed our stay there (the kids really liked the pool), especially since we had a premium view room. We are staying there again in December (we will be there on Christmas) and I have booked a standard room so far, I am hoping that there will be some sort of discount so I can upgrade to a premium view again :goodvibes.

Just back from a quick holiday weekend trip. We are AP holders and usually stay offsite. I have also stayed at DLH and GCH, but this was our first stay at PPH and I wanted to put down my thoughts in case others are considering a stay there.

The Trip:
Me, SO, 4 teenage boys (DS17, DS17, DS15, and friend 17 - because two prior trips with the 3 DS made us realize that 3 really isn't the best number to travel with. maybe it's the age, but it always seemed to be 2 on 1 with someone having a meltdown, so we hoped having a friend to round out the number would help. Thankfully, it did.

We booked a 1bd suite at PPH for the 6 of us a few weeks in advance because it was the only option available at the time. We called 2 times before arrival to try to book another room and were told that none were available.

The Magic:
Some Disney magic! Upon arrival, 3 hours late due to heinous weather delaying flights, we finally checked in at 10p Friday 2/17. We asked again if there was another room available, and after some really great service and detective work by Sinead at the front desk, we were able to get the 1bd suite and an adjacent premium view room. Rooms 1322 (suite) and room 1326 (adjacent 2 queen room) with the most amazing view of DCA. The 4 boys had the suite with SO and I taking the adjacent room. It was heavenly to have our own room and bathroom. We would have made it work in the suite with 6 of us, but thank you so much to Sinead for providing us some Disney magic!

The Good:
THE VIEW. Watching WoC with the music in the room was fantastic.

Room service at 11p with cocktail service because we were in DCA until close and way too tired to go sit down and eat somewhere while the teens were closing down DL on a Saturday night. The service was quick and the food was awesome.

The walk. I have to admit I was hesitant about not being able to cut through GCH, but really the walk was no big deal. It was maybe a few hundred more steps than staying at DLH and the new security gates are so much easier to get through than the previous one at the esplanade.

The beds were super comfy.

Loved having the Surfside lounge for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack when we had late dinner reservations!

The wish list (nit-picky, so bear with me):
For the price of the Disney hotels, it would be nice to have a better coffee maker in the rooms. The 1bd suite had a Keurig, which I love, but the adjacent room did not, which was disappointing. For the price, I would hope all rooms would include a nicer coffee service

The size of the pool - just blah

The hours for the pool/hot tub - would be nice to be open later than 8p, because there's nothing like a soak in the hot tub after a long day of walking. Have stayed at 2 different offsite hotels where the hot tub was open until 10 or 11p and this would be a nice addition here as well.

It would be nice if they had Disney movies on demand. We wanted to watch a movie after a day in the parks and only had the direct TV in room and couldn't find any Disney movies, which was a little disappointing.

Overall:
I loved PPH and would stay again. DLH is my favorite of the 3, but I would stay at PPH for the premium view room if the price is comparable to DLH standard view.

We are staying at PP next week with a premium view as well. What exactly did you mean by watching WoC with the music in the room? We are hoping to see it from our room but not sure how we hear the music too.
Thanks in advance!

We are staying at PP next week with a premium view as well. What exactly did you mean by watching WoC with the music in the room? We are hoping to see it from our room but not sure how we hear the music too.
Thanks in advance!
They play the music on one of the TV stations.

I also don't understand why they don't have DisneyMovies on demand in the hotel. We stayed on property a few times and always want to watch a Disney movie and relax with the family and can never find one. They just have the Disney Channel.

That is one of the perks of the Concierge level from what I understand...not in demand on the TV but yay can check out DVD's for free.

That is one of the perks of the Concierge level from what I understand...not in demand on the TV but yay can check out DVD's for free.
First thing my daughter does when we arrive is grab a couple DVDs, then that is what is on when we are in the room. It is nice for run weekends since we go back to the room early.

Yes, I understand that, too. IMO, that should be included for all rooms given the cost to stay onsite, just as it is at Aulani (unless that's changed in the 3 years since I was there).

Though I do think an on-demand system would be a better process (for hotel and guest), rather than having to check out a physical DVD. (I work in process improvement, so I'm constantly looking for things that make me go hmmm :-)

Thanks in advance!

I think it's channel 15 or 16 on the TV.

Our son facetimed us yesterday from his Grand Californian balcony. It surely gave me an itch for another trip to California, if only it weren't so far from NY! I've stayed at DLH and GCH so was searching for Paradise Pier Hotel reviews and came across yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. This thread has convinced me that theme park view is the way to go.

:thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter