This Was the Feast-A Most Certainly True Lutheran Food Review-4/26-The End

Sadly, YSH is losing to Flying Fish in the poll that I've recently added to my review. Have you by chance added your vote? If you haven't already, please take a minute to do so and add any comments that you might have about these two restaurants. I'm hoping the expert opinion of Chef M might sway a few votes. :thumbsup2 Thanks!

Oh, and just in case I haven't already told you...I love your reviews. :worship:

Sadly, YSH is losing to Flying Fish in the poll that I've recently added to my review. Have you by chance added your vote? If you haven't already, please take a minute to do so and add any comments that you might have about these two restaurants. I'm hoping the expert opinion of Chef M might sway a few votes. :thumbsup2 Thanks!

Oh, and just in case I haven't already told you...I love your reviews. :worship:

What's the link so I can vote?

Also, I have nothing against Flying Fish, any issues I had there were easily resolved.
:)

It’s a World of Food and a World of Booze.

My trip around the World Showcase.

Shortly after our disappointing lunch at Coral Reef, my darling fiancée was not feeling well. She was sick to her stomach. So, I ended up walking her to the gates of Epcot, and she went home for a rest. I stayed behind because I would have kept her from rest, and I knew this would be a good chance to go around Epcot and hit some shopping, tasting of adult beverages and eating. In the end, we both got what we wanted-she with her recovery and I with my greed and gluttony.
My World Showcase journey began with a stop at the Cava de Tequila Bar in the Mexico Pavilion. I decided to stoke the fire in my stomach with a tequila sampler. I enjoyed three samples of very good tequila. How did I know it was good? Because I lived in Mexico and taught cooking school for eight months there and enjoyed tequila of varying brands quite often. The tequila was served with a side glass of sangrita, a spicy red sipping drink to complement the tequila. As the tequila tasting went on, my recollection of the Spanish language improved greatly.
Disney063.jpg

Disney064.jpg

After Tequila Time, I managed to wander to Norway, where I bought a candy bar for a Norwegian friend of mine. It came in a blue wrapper and had hazelnuts (filberts) in it. He said it was good.

I went to the Kringla Bakery and had a Cloudberry Horn on a snack credit. This is a delicious little snack of crispy pastry covered with large crystal sugar and filled with a white cream filling with little “cloudberries” in it. If you want to know what a cloudberry is or why they are in the Norway pavilion at Epcot, look it up on Wikipedia. They have an excellent explanation and photos. It was a well spent snack credit.
Disney070.jpg

After Norway, I also wandered over to Germany where I purchased a Toffiay candy for a German friend. This I found in the Werther’s Original store (I don’t remember the proper name). I had a nice chat about the strawberries being dipped and the caramel corn being made at the pavilion with the international student there. I was also given a sample of the caramel corn made there.popcorn::
Disney072.jpg

My stomach gave up at that point.

I went back to the hotel and found my fiancée in better shape.
I think if you are trying to save a little money, and want to try things, Epcot offers lots of snack credit and “relatively” inexpensive foods to try and is not so much of a mob scene in the later part of the afternoon. I found my trip quite relaxing. A little shopping, A little eating, A little drinking. A good way to pass the time while your honey recovers.

Welcome Back :)

I have missed reading your wonderful reviews.

Patty

Pluto vs. Goofy-a tail of two dogs.

I had no breakfast the day I auditioned for American Idol Experience. I got picked for the show and needed to eat something. So, I chose a chili dog (probably not the best idea). I ordered from the stand as we were coming in to the main Hollywood Studios area. There are lots of places to sit outside.

Now the dogs: For being an amusement park, the hot dogs could have been better. I am not asking for a kobe beef hot dog, and my argument is not really about the actual quality of the dog (it was a pretty large dog too), but the preparation. The dogs are boiled and held in a steam table kind of thing, school lunch style. This is easy and cheap, and you can do lots of them at one time to keep up with demand. I would have preferred a hot dog prepared on a heated roller or griddle, but alas, this is not how they are prepared at my favorite theme parks. The chili sauce served on the dog was O.K., and the baked beans were good. The dog was served in a little paper boat. In the end, it was a hot dog that everyone who will eat hot dogs can stomach, and little kids will enjoy. However, I will order something else next time.

I also had a Dino-Land USA dog at Animal Kingdom, which was very similar, except it was wrapped in a paper and it had to be completely unwrapped to put mustard on it. The condiment table was dirty, and there are precious few places to eat around the hot dog trailer. Not Disney’s finest foodservice hour. I like hot dogs, way too much, but unless I have a kid sometime who wants one, I won’t be purchasing another at Disney World. I was selected to fill out a computer survey at the end of my day at Animal Kingdom, and left my comments on the hot dog.

That Cloudberry Horn looks so good! I love crunchy sugar on the outside of pastries (although it is entirely unwelcome in my crepes, I learned!). Welcome back!! :)

Great reviews!

How did you do on American Idol?

Thanks for the compliment.

I did not win at American Idol, but really, I did. Because of a scheduling error, my fiancee got to sit and get her hair and makeup done for free. We received 8 fastpasses to anything in the studios, so we rode Toy Story at least three times in a row. Disney paid for lunch, and I had a really fun time doing the show. They make it as easy on you and as fun as possible.

Wow, I have recently gone vegetarian, but I WANR, no I think I NEED a steak from Yachtsmans! Your meal, and that bread looked incredible!

Thanks for taking the time to do your reviews. I think WDW needs a chef like YOU!!

Baking in the Caribbean Sun

Snack Items from the Caribbean Beach Resort food court.pirate::fish:

One morning, I walked over to the food court to get breakfast for me and my baby. I used only my snack credits for purchase and our resort mugs. I was impressed with the snack credit selection. I chose lots of yummy things: Cheese Danish, Chocolate Croissant, Strawberries, Yogurt Parfait, Hot Chocolate and Coffee, plus a couple bottles of Dasani water. The Danish and Chocolate Croissant were very large and not skimpy on the fillings, and were even still a little warm when I brought them back to the room. The strawberries were fresh and firm. They were not leaking any juice into the container, nor did they have any soft spots. They tasted like how you would expect strawberries to taste in November, even in Florida, but still a welcome treat. I was surprised to see the more expensive, individual fruits in the display and not just a generic mixed fruit salad. The yogurt parfait was good too. pirate:
170.jpg

167.jpg

I should mention the bottled water comes in two sizes and is displayed to trick you into taking the smaller one, because small bottles are merchandised with the fruits and “healthy” stuff. Turn the corner and the larger bottles are displayed with the Cokes for the same one snack credit. Say what you will about bottled water being a poor choice for a snack credit, but hotel foodservice exists for convenience, and I could not be bothered to venture out and get something cheaper. I was happy to use my snack credits for this. If I had children to feed, it would probably be another story. pirate:
169.jpg

I liked the hot chocolate. It was not bad for a machine made hot chocolate. I did not get a reaction on the coffee from my fiancée. I had some food court coffee later that week. There are lots of different baked goods at the food court too numerous to list here. They also stock small paper plates, bags, napkins, and plastic flatware by the cash register. Speaking of cash, I would have paid close to 18 dollars for what I bought. pirate:

Call me crazy, but it seems like the dining plan snack credits are a nice way to provide “free” continental breakfast to guests, and yet control it from the few people who go to such things and pack as much food into themselves, their purse, their pockets, and their kid’s bag as possible. I used to pay big bucks to provide continental breakfast as a hotel food guy, and once watched a lady load 14 peaches into her handbag. You can’t ever say anything though, because it is “free” and you don’t want to make guests mad. O.K., enough ranting-enjoy your trip to the food court at CBR.pirate:

I just started reading your review, and I have to say that as a life-long Lutheran, I am super amused by your title. Thanks for the detailed reviews! I'm looking forward to reading more.

I just started reading your review, and I have to say that as a life-long Lutheran, I am super amused by your title. Thanks for the detailed reviews! I'm looking forward to reading more.

Thanks! I thought it was an appropriate title for a review written by a Lutheran seminary student. Pax Domini.

No, No, No-you shouldn’t go!, Coral Reef Lunch on 11/17/2010

Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
Crab & Artichoke Dip in a Bread Bowl
Crispy Shrimp with Firecracker & Cocktail Sauces
Shrimp Quesadilla
Tomato-Basil Bruschetta with Mozzarella Cheese Toast
New England Clam Chowder (the white kind), cup or sourdough bread bowl.
Tomato Bisque
Caesar Salad with Grape Tomatoes and Crispy Garlic-Parmesan Croutons. Choice of Original or with grilled sirloin steak, sautéed shrimp, grilled salmon fillet or grilled chicken breast.
Garden Greens with lemon-herb vinaigrette or ranch dressing

Sandwiches:
Grouper on Sourdough-Broiled or Batter Fried, Lemon Remoulade sauce
Natural Beef Burger
Grilled Chicken
Grilled Salmon B.L.T
Shrimp Po’ Boy

Entrées
Seafood Pasta with Lemon Butter, Bay Scallops, Shrimp
Linguini with Clams
Fish & Chips
Pecan Crusted Tilapia
Grilled Salmon
Grilled Sirloin Steak
Catch of the day (not salmon, trout, or tilapia)

Desserts:
Chocolate Mousse, Coral Shaped Cookies
Brownie Sundae
Lemon Meringue Pie
Apple Crisp

Still reading your review but had to stop and say your menu sounds awesome and would actually entice me to eat at Coral Reef which right now I will not do as the food is a bit too complicated. Yours is simpler but keeps the theme.
Wish this menu really existed!

Just read your reviews from stem to stern in one sitting and enjoyed it so much, I went to your previous review and read it too! I do good to spell gourmet chef so I will not even attempt to act like one but I thoroughly enjoy these reviews through your eyes (and palate). There are several restaurants I wish to try during our next trip based on your descriptions. I hope in the future you have the opportunity to visit V&A and Bistro de Paris. I would love to read your review of these two exceptional restaurants. Thanks for your reviews.

129.jpg

Voldemort Victuals
Also Known as Harry Pasties, Hermione Grazing, and Roasted Weasley (no Weasley was actually harmed in the writing of this post):wizard:
hwexpress.jpg

130-1.jpg

We had a couple days with Harry Potter and his pals at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The first day was an arrival day, Saturday, and I was bummed. Though we had a good time, one of my worst fears came true. Besides the fact that there were “Muggles everywhere”, I was too fat for 75% of the rides at both Universal Theme Parks, including the ride in Hogwarts castle & Dueling Dragons. So, what to do? Diet & Exercise? Not on vacation. Emergency Liposuction? Not likely. Sulk & drown my sorrows, like Hagrid, in none other than the world famous butterbeer? Absolutely.:wizard:
butterbeer.jpg

There are several places to buy regular butterbeer at WWOHP. We picked up our cup of it, the unfrozen kind, at a small stand across from the entrance to the castle ride line. The witch (and I mean that in the Harry Potter sense) serving us went behind a large wooden door to retrieve our butterbeer. We decided to dispense with the expensive plastic mug and go with the regular old beer cup, which is still emblazoned with the WWOHP logo.
So what does it taste like? Well, imagine a club soda, about 14 ounces of it, with two to four Werther’s Original hard caramels crushed up into a powder and dissolved in it topped with soft ice cream mixed with a lot of whipped cream, and that is how I think it tasted. It was also a really nice dark amber color or “colour”. It was not nearly as sweet as I expected, but it was large enough for two to share.
:wizard:

:offtopic:On our second day we went to WWOHP, we went to both the Universal Studios side of the complex and IOA. In the morning, though I could not ride and DF did not want to (looked like a motion sickness nightmare for her) we did take a tour of the castle. It is amazing. Digital imagery has come a long way since Star Wars. The WWOHP was one place in the Universal complex that we both felt there was a serious commitment of money and effort, and not simply motion simulators and Disney knock-off attractions. But I digress…:wizard:

We went this day, primarily to shop. And we did-lots and lots of candy. These included Peppermint Toads, Chocolate Frogs, Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, and a nice Honeydukes candy jar which will look great in the kitchen or family room. This came filled with peppermints that magically melted away to reveal a chocolate center. My fiancée received the peppermint toads, and the candy jar is for the both of us. My sister received a Chocolate Frog and Bertie Botts Beans for Christmas as well as a Gryffindor Prefect pin.:wizard:
Disney32010022.jpg

I opened one chocolate frog for eating, and discovered a Godric Gryffindor Wizard Trading Card.
Disney32010027.jpg
It is a very cool hologram. The frog itself is quite a bit of chocolate-5.3 ounces of solid frog.
Disney32010026.jpg

It is milk chocolate but has a darker taste to it. It is not the best, and certainly not the worst candy I’ve had. It is also extremely cool. The box and the trading cards are very nice, and will go on a shelf somewhere with our HP books and other assorted trinkets from the Wizarding World. Be forewarned if you have little ones-like most theme park souvenirs, this stuff is expensive. I knew it would be and budgeted for it. Each candy item was around $10. I think it was well spent for the conversation piece value of the boxes once the candy is gone. Leave plenty of room to pack these souvenirs so the boxes don’t get bent up. You can shop the candy items at the main Traders store at the park entrance so they don’t have to be shipped or carried. Honeydukes is nice, but quite small and crowded.

Our third and final Potter food adventure was at the Three Broomsticks. The theme decorating here is great. It is very detailed, yet totally functional. There is even a seating hostess to help you find a place after you get your tray. :wizard:

Disney113.jpg
Disney118.jpg
Disney112.jpg
hogshead.jpg
Disney120.jpg
Disney127.jpg

We had Pumpkin Juice, Pasties with Salad, and bottled water. There are plenty of things to try here, and the prices were pretty reasonable. We paid $7.50 for the pasties and salad, and it made a pretty good light snack for two (we were eating at Emeril’s later that day and did not want to spoil our meal). :wizard:

The pasties are little baked pastry pockets about the size of a pierogi of which there are three to an order. These are filled with shredded seasoned beef and onions, and probably a few other nice things. The mixed salad is iceberg with veggies shaved into it, with tomato wedge and cucumber. Ken’s dressing packets are served with the salad. You will be asked which flavor of Ken’s you like.

We chose the draft Pumpkin Juice as opposed to the bottled available on ice in the carts outside the restaurant (very cool bottles with a pumpkin stopper lid). The pumpkin juice kind of tasted like chilled liquid apple pie and was bright orange with flecks of spices floating in it. I would buy it again in the bottle to get the bottle, but I really liked the butterbeer better.
I would also like to try some of the other food offerings and the Hogsmeade Hogshead Ale on my next visit. :wizard:

As an aside, I have been doing pretty well on my exercise and weight loss program. One day I will return to ride the Forbidden Journey & enjoy the Great Feast.

I just started reading your review but wanted to say good luck on your quest to ride Forbidden journey-my dh has recently lost 105 pds and his big motivators were his kids and being able to fit on the rides! He now weighs 220 pounds and is still going.I have been trying to plan a 40th birthday trip for this year so he can enjoy his new smaller self on his favorite coasters.He also always wanted to do the Richard Petty driving experience and I think I will surprise him with that.

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Snacks.:santa:

Well, what can I say? We went and had a great time at the VMCP. There is an awful lot of talk on these boards about the snacks served there. The first thing I want to say is that there were no lines for the snacks. I think one of the snacks left a lot to be desired. The highlight of the Christmas party snacks was the hot chocolate. It was served in foam cups with lids, and was as good as any top of the line mix from the grocery store. There were apple slices in little plastic baggies like you can get in kids’ meals at fast food joints. I think I was disappointed the most in the cookies. :santa:

If there was one think to get right at a Christmas party, it had to be the cookies. This was surprising, since there are really good baked goods elsewhere in the resort. I was given two lemon cookies in a napkin. They were not good. Thick, under-baked, and flavored so strongly with lemon, I could not finish even one. They were cheaply made and an embarrassment to the rest of the wonderful things that Disney does. I threw them away and my fiancée and I had a most romantic time sipping hot chocolate on the upper regions of the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House overlooking the park in all its Christmas Splendor. We had the whole tree house to ourselves. Yes, the Swiss house and the Swiss Miss.:santa:

The party was fun, but not one to repeat for a long time. I hope Disney won’t balance the budget with cookies next time.
:santa:
Photo0022FourBySix.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter