• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking about renting points, how to know if I won’t get scammed

Nic119

Earning My Ears
Thinking about renting points for the first time for next summer from an individual I don’t know. How do I know he is legit? If he gives me the reservation and even a confirmation number doesn’t he still have the control to cancel it after I pay him?
How do people work it, while renting points from people they don’t know?

You are correct. The reservation stays in the control of the owner so you want to be sure you feel comfortable and it is a matter of trust.

As already mentioned, using a broker can help as most do not realize the entire amount to owners till renter checks in.

MODS, maybe this should probably be moved to the DVC boards as you’ll get more info there!

We always use a broker. Its worth the couple hundred extra for the peace of mind in my opinion. However I will say if you have to cancel at least you have a chance of rebooking with an individual. Its all or nothing with a broker.

Last edited:

If you’re renting from someone here, make sure it’s someone you’ve interacted with on the rental board. If they messaged you out of the blue here, that’s not ok and you should report the message.

If you have a trusted friend or family member you can rent points from, great.

If not, I agree with the above advice to go with a reputable broker.

I would not feel comfortable renting points from an individual stranger.

I have rented before from an individual and from a broker. I recommend going with the broker. While I did not end up having any problems with the individual, I had knots in my stomach all the way up to the day we checked-in. I didn't like the lack of security and didn't find it worth the extra savings. I needed the peace of mind, so after that we went with a broker and had a lovely experience.

Agree with OP. Book with a broker. I did for my stay coming up in less than a month. It was my first time renting points but was such an easy process. I was able to book a dining plan and DME as well and linked my tickets with no problem.

I always rent points from a broker and I will continue to do so.

However, they do say that 99% of the time there won’t be any issues. Well, I was one of the 1%. I had booked a studio villa at the Poly at exactly 11 months out for our Sept 2019 trip. In May of 2019, I got an email that the person who booked our trip (whose points we rented) didn’t pay their dues and Disney cancelled the room. The broker tried to book us another villa but they were sold out at the Poly as well as anywhere else we would want to stay except for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. They were willing to upgrade me to a one bedroom at Saratoga Springs as that would be “equivalent” to the Poly in terms of cost (and what the contract promised), but it wasn’t equivalent to me in terms of location and hotel level.

I ended up getting a refund and eventually booked the Dolphin saving $900 from the original reservation. I do love the Dolphin so I was relatively ok after the initially shock but we were traveling for my son’s 13th birthday and his only request was staying at the Poly so he was really disappointed for quite awhile.

I have another villa booked in February 2020 (I booked it before our Poly trip fell through), so I am now watching the reservation like a hawk to make sure we don’t have any issues! Worse, we are traveling with my in-laws who have never been and I convinced them to rent points telling them that it was perfectly safe. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I haven’t told them about my May experience... hoping they never have to find out! 😳

Unless you use someone like David's I don't think that you can be sure until after you arrive. Private rentals can be cheaper, but are certainly risky.
Good luck!

However, they do say that 99% of the time there won’t be any issues. Well, I was one of the 1%. I had booked a studio villa at the Poly at exactly 11 months out for our Sept 2019 trip. In May of 2019, I got an email that the person who booked our trip (whose points we rented) didn’t pay their dues and Disney cancelled the room. The broker tried to book us another villa but they were sold out at the Poly as well as anywhere else we would want to stay except for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. They were willing to upgrade me to a one bedroom at Saratoga Springs as that would be “equivalent” to the Poly in terms of cost (and what the contract promised), but it wasn’t equivalent to me in terms of location and hotel level.

I ended up getting a refund and eventually booked the Dolphin saving $900 from the original reservation. I do love the Dolphin so I was relatively ok after the initially shock but we were traveling for my son’s 13th birthday and his only request was staying at the Poly so he was really disappointed for quite awhile.

I have another villa booked in February 2020 (I booked it before our Poly trip fell through), so I am now watching the reservation like a hawk to make sure we don’t have any issues! Worse, we are traveling with my in-laws who have never been and I convinced them to rent points telling them that it was perfectly safe. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I haven’t told them about my May experience... hoping they never have to find out! 😳
This brings up a great point, there are scams - where someone pretends they have DVC points & they don't, usually impersonating a real DVC owner, and then there are issues that can arise even when you are dealing with a legitimate DVC owner directly or through a broker such as you encountered.
These don't start out as scams, but still result in you losing your reservation. If a DVC owner fails to pay their MFs or their loan if they have one, DVC will cancel all of their pending reservations. With a broker you can get your money back - but you may not be able to find an equivalent reservation for the same price when you find out.
There's also situations where an owner makes your reservation then decides to sell the contract, DVC cancels all reservations when ownership changes. Many DVC resales set closing after their pending reservations are completed to avoid this, but I've read of a few times where DVC 'closed too soon.'
Fortunately all of these scenarios are very rare, hence people's willingness to assume the risk for the savings. Brokers mitigate the risk of a total loss of your funds but you do pay for that protection by paying a little more per point.

Ignore any private messages you get from "owners" offering you points to rent or an already confirmed reservation. Only talk to owners that you initiate yourself. Make sure you aren't planning on anytime the rest of 2019 or early 2020. Owners start booking their stays 11 months out at their home resorts and seven months out at non-home resorts. Sept through Jan are the busiest times for DVC. Summer isn't as busy.

I don't think you were the first that has happened a few times with even the brokers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter