Thinking about planning a spontaneous solo trip...should I do it?!

Simba27

Earning My Ears
Hello! This is my first thread and I'm new here. I'm taking my medical board exams July 26 and don't start working in the hospital again until the 1st. It just now hit me that I could potentially take a little 4 day solo trip (I may try and convince my friend to join but I'm not sure if she'd be able to take off work). I've been to Disney many times, 2 times in the past year. Is traveling solo weird? Is it lonely? Any tips? Encouragement or discouragement? Tell me everything! I've looked into costs and I'd either stay at POFQ or the swan/dolphin. I've only stayed in deluxe resorts before (Bc, BW, Polynesian) but those are far too expensive right now. Being in Disney after a month of being locked up studying sounds fabulous to me. Thanks in advance!

Hello! This is my first thread and I'm new here. I'm taking my medical board exams July 26 and don't start working in the hospital again until the 1st. It just now hit me that I could potentially take a little 4 day solo trip (I may try and convince my friend to join but I'm not sure if she'd be able to take off work). I've been to Disney many times, 2 times in the past year. Is traveling solo weird? Is it lonely? Any tips? Encouragement or discouragement? Tell me everything! I've looked into costs and I'd either stay at POFQ or the swan/dolphin. I've only stayed in deluxe resorts before (Bc, BW, Polynesian) but those are far too expensive right now. Being in Disney after a month of being locked up studying sounds fabulous to me. Thanks in advance!
DO IT!!! Go!!!! Don't waste another minute of your day even thinking that you shouldn't go! :jumping1:

Since you know Disney already, you know that swan/dolphin is the better location, from the perspective of close proximity to the parks. If you are not looking for relaxing solitude for your entire trip, I would recommend the swan/dolphin.

Up until last year, all of my trips to Disney World had been with friends and family. Then I did a solo trip. At first it was a little "off" because I was so used to having someone else with me. But once I got my mind-set in the solo-mode, it was a fabulous trip!! You can go where you want, when you want and don't have to worry about coordinating times with anyone else. You can eat when you want (downside: we usually split our deserts with each other so we can try more things, and when you go solo there's no one to share the yummy deserts with, so you have to eat the whole thing by yourself!! wait...is that really a downside???). It was fun just to take in all of the little details that I usually miss because I'm busy visiting with my travel companions.

You might want to look into renting DVC points for your trip. If there is anything available, it might be as cost effective as the locations you are currently looking at.

Yes! Book it today, while you can still get an Awaken Summer discount. Today (July 8th), is the last day you can book the discount. You can get it as a room-only, and that is what I recommend. You can buy tickets separately and link them to your resort reservation to prebook FastPasses.

thanks for the reply!!! I've obviously never gone alone so that is what makes me a little nervous but after reading some posts on these boards it seems like quite a lot of people do go solo! I have no clue how to go about renting dvc points but I looked into the Swan and Dolphin on orbitz and the price wasn't too bad, although POFQ was cheaper and Id get the ME. But I would rather do the S/D of course because of its amazing location and I LOVE the boardwalk area and Epcot world showcase! I'll keep looking around to see if I can find even better prices

Absolutely- I have never stayed at the Swolphin, but if POFQ is cheaper that is the one I would book- for the ease it offers with Magical Express and Disney transport- POFQ is small and though it shares a bus with Riverside, POFQ is picked up first. Also, the boat to downtown Disney. Traveling solo is great- every time I plan a trip with others I somehow find a way to also plan a solo trip. Usually at a different time. It makes me a better travel companion if I have either just done a trip my way or have one after! The advantages of solo are doing what you want when you want, so if you are park warrior or resort pool bunny, you can choose how to spend your days and relax which is what it sounds like you are after. The hardest thing for most is dining solo. I travel for work so I eat by myself in restaurants all the time and part of what I enjoy is trying the different Disney dining options, including the character dining. So if you have not dined out by yourself to the point you are comfortable, practice at home first!

You're on Disboards. The answer to your thread's title is always YES. YES! Your plan for Swalphin or FQ are perfect. Book it today!

Did my first solo trip last December after going back and forth about whether I should. Best decision I ever made, I had a blast! If you can stay somewhere near EPCOT, it's a wonderful location, I stayed at Yacht Club and it was so nice to walk to EPCOT, or the Boardwalk, and it was a short boat trip to DHS.

I will admit, the only time it was a little weird was sit down meals, I'm not used to eating solo, but it really wasn't too bad.

I did almost the same thing as you - in the middle of studying I suddenly realized that I had a week free in between my last final ending and my summer class beginning. I'd never planned a trip with less than 6 days to go before, but it worked out great and I was so happy I went! I wasn't quite solo - my mom decided to go with me - but I feel like a solo trip is only as awkward as you make it. I'm hoping to go back again next fall by myself.

A solo trip is great! I love to go solo. But I would never go to a Florida in the heat of summer. Take a trip to Acadia National Park in Maine for your 4 night trip in July. Save your Florida trip for January or February when it's pleasant weather and less crowds. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter