• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Thinking about cruising...need help

bweagle

DIS Veteran
Thinking about taking a Disney Cruise this summer with DH. How much should I be expecting to spend....assuming we go for a moderately priced cabin.

What are the extras we'd have to pay for while on the cruise?

Any other thoughts to help us decide whether or not to go would be appreciated.

Thanks

The cost can vary widely, depending on the time of the year that you sail (hurricane season is cheaper and holidays cost a premium) and whether or not there are any specials such as Fall Fantasy or Springtime Magic. You may want to consider trying to get a secret porthole room ( cabins at an inside price that have an obstructed view porthole - I have more info. on them on my website at www.castawayclub.com )
You really won't have to pay for much more. The main extra cost items are shore excursions, Castaway Cay rentals (boats, bikes, etc.) alcohol, soda that is not gotten with a meal, bingo, and spa treatments. Also, are gratuities and the $5 cover charge if you choose to eat at Palo, as well as some extra-cost activities like the wine tasting (but there are plenty of free activities too).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

anyone else have any advise? I am having a hard time convincing my husband this is worth the money

I had to do alot of convincing to get my hubby excited about the trip. When I started calling arround for quotes, the numbers seemed pretty steep. We booked a Cat 12 (cheapest cabin available), and went over Halloween, which qualified for the fall fantasy discount as well. We also booked the package with Disney Air program and transfers. (which was a little more expensive then booking the air on our our own...but we wanted this to be stress-free) For our family of three, we paid 3,400 for the complete package (7night MAGIC cruise, which seemed to be the better deal for us)

I justified the cost by telling my hubby that it included ALL our food, our entertainment, and drinks with dinner. (alcoholic beverages extra and drinks outside of meal times... THERE WAS A DRINK STATION ON DECK 9 BY THE POOLS THAT SERVED COLD MILK, COFFEE, TEA, HOT CHOCOLATE AND WATER FOR FREE)

There was even a night where free drinks were passed out (1st formal night).

We did end up spending more ON the boat. I was a sucker for all the pictures that were taken, and we did endulge in a few of the "tropical drinks of the day".. yummy. There was a night where there were 2-for 1 drinks (certain kinds only) and they were in cool Disney Cruise line glasses. so I fell for that deal too.
We spent 800 bucks extra (included an excursion to St. John).

It was a spendy trip for us, but I don't regret one penny spent! It was absolutely fabulous! It was an amazing memory for our family. Hubby still raves about how wonderful the week was. We were treated like royalty. There is absolutely no stress at all. we loved every second of it. Now we just need to save up for the next cruise...THEY ARE EXTREMELY ADDICTING!

sorry to ramble on soo much.... but it was an amazing cruise.
hope it works out for your family.

good luck!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Since you are from Ohio I know you have been to Myrtle Beach so comapare it to a vacation there. Add up how much 7 days at your favorite hotel would be. Add in 3 meals a day, 2 or 3 snacks a day and at least one variety show per evening. I believe you will find a savings in the cruise. If not change your figures because it is worth it.
Good Luck

Originally posted by ruvidu

Since you are from Ohio I know you have been to Myrtle Beach

Boy, was I struck by this statement! It seems to be screaming out for a pithy response, but I'm speechless.

As a part time resident of Myrtle Beach many years ago we always noted the abundance of Ohio plates in town each year. One Ohio resident even told me that the last one to leave the state heading to Myrtle Beach had to turn out the lights. Great folks one and all.

The first time I booked a cruise for my family my DH was not thrilled to say the least! He though I had spent way to much and he did not want to go on a cruise. He was unhappy when we boarded because our hanging garment bag zipper had broken and they would not take it with the other luggage (I can understand all that they need is to have our clothes fall out!) but like I say he really had his mind set against enjoying the cruise. He WAS a stay at home kinda guy.
To get on with the story- by the time our cruise was over he wanted to get off and rebook to go right back on!

It is the BEST family vacation that is out there. SOmething for everyone- it was the first time since my DD was born that I felt totally comfortable when I took her somewhere and left her. I had a beeper in case she was tired or she just was ready to go- she picked out the activities she wanted to attend with the knowledge that at anytime she could beep me. SHe never beeped me! I did make her eat the evening meals as a family unit and there were some days she only wanted to participate in one or two activities. If I had a spa treatment planned that gave her and her DD( darling daddy) some special time together. We now have #4 planned on May 25, 2002 and my DH is as ready to go now as me and DD are!
If you went to Disneyworld/Six Flags/skiing/mountains whatever do as the previous poster said-

add transportation costs- flights to 2 or 3 different places, hotels, 2 meals at really nice rest- a couple of drive through stops, ice cream, and 1 meal at a buffet place. Then go ahead and slip in a room service here or there. I know that this sounds like a lot of eating but when can one person in your group be hungry and you only get them something to eat! Doesn't happen. Next factor in your activites that you plan to do on your trip- most activites are included on the ship (Bingo, spa are not included) then factor in the cost of not arguing over where to eat EVERY meal or what activity will please everyone in your family. A cruise is priceless!\Enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter