Things you wish you knew, or paid more attention to (Help for 1st time cruisers)

Any advice for choosing a stateroom? There are so many categories... I've never cruised before so I don't know what I would be interested in. Do those that get a verandah really use it?

We :love: our verandah and used it every day: DH hung out there while I unpacked; always checked out the surroundings when we came back to our cabin to change for dinner; I had to have an early breakie one morning so went up to Goofy's Galley and picked up light continental items for us. I enjoyed it on the deck while DH snoozed a bit more, then he joined me. It was wonderful quiet time together; one morning he saw a giant turtle paddling beside the ship! Even tho we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, we got a lot of enjoyment from it. :goodvibes

Having said all that, I'd be happy to cruise with an Inside room for cruises like this. However DH will only cruise with a verandah so the decision is easy for me! :lmao: :lmao: It really depends on your family's preferences/needs/wants. Regardless of what you choose, you'll have a fab time on the podcast cruise! :upsidedow

cheers,
:flower3:

DITTO! We even applied and reapplied 15 SPF and got burned! Next time I'll be bringing the Animal Kingdom sunscreen.

That's not the part of her story I thought you'd comment on. We had very good luck with sunburns. Em had just a tad bit of red, but otherwise, the rest of us were great.

That's not the part of her story I thought you'd comment on. We had very good luck with sunburns. Em had just a tad bit of red, but otherwise, the rest of us were great.

I didn't get any sun at all. Didn't even open the bottle of sunscreen. Go figure.

We loved our veranda. Great place for an afternoon glass of wine and a nap.

DO arrive early! We were told that a 12:00 arrival would be perfect. "You'll just walk onto the ship" :rotfl: That didn't happen. Even though our situation was a rare one, I will arrive early from now on. Just as we arrived on the 5/21 sailing at around 12 pm, the parking lot was shut down due to a suspicious package. We got on the boat at 4:30pm. We had to rush and go to the drill. We were so mad, sitting near the Carnival boat watching everyone on the Wonder enjoying themselves while we waited. Then when it was finally time to board, the line was ridiculous. The line had 4 hours to grow, so you can imagine. Oh and bring a fan, because it was too warm for my blood in the stateroom.

Oh good! Will you put it up again for this cruise plz....I have been trying to make a list from what everyone says but it would be so much easier if there is already a list. :banana:

When we get closer. I don't think anyone is ready to start packing yet.

DO arrive early! We were told that a 12:00 arrival would be perfect. "You'll just walk onto the ship" :rotfl: That didn't happen. Even though our situation was a rare one, I will arrive early from now on. Just as we arrived on the 5/21 sailing at around 12 pm, the parking lot was shut down due to a suspicious package. We got on the boat at 4:30pm. We had to rush and go to the drill. We were so mad, sitting near the Carnival boat watching everyone on the Wonder enjoying themselves while we waited. Then when it was finally time to board, the line was ridiculous. The line had 4 hours to grow, so you can imagine. Oh and bring a fan, because it was too warm for my blood in the stateroom.

You do realize that they don't regularly find suspicious packages at the port, don't you? Typically arriving at noon is a fine and you would walk right onboard. Because you were evacuated likely had more to do with you rushing to everything.

Just don't want to see everyone panicking over something that rarely happens.

Also if you find your stateroom to be too hot or too cold, just tell your stateroom host or call for maintenance. This can be adjusted. It was too cold on our last sailing and they came twice but finally got it adjusted.

You do realize that they don't regularly find suspicious packages at the port, don't you? Typically arriving at noon is a fine and you would walk right onboard. Because you were evacuated likely had more to do with you rushing to everything.

Just don't want to see everyone panicking over something that rarely happens.

Also if you find your stateroom to be too hot or too cold, just tell your stateroom host or call for maintenance. This can be adjusted. It was too cold on our last sailing and they came twice but finally got it adjusted.
DO arrive early! We were told that a 12:00 arrival would be perfect. "You'll just walk onto the ship" :rotfl: That didn't happen. Even though our situation was a rare one, I will arrive early from now on.

We weren't evacuated. I was never in the parking lot. We were diverted to another lot. I didn't rush to anything. Rushing would've been me getting there at 10am like some suggested. I drove away from my home in Ga. that morning, because I was in no hurry. I could've easily left the night before. And lastly, please give Disers a little more credit than to "panic" because of a rare situation. I won't panic. I'll just arrive earlier.

P.S. Thank you for the tip about stateroom climate. Now I know. The solution is so simple, it's frustrating that I didn't think of doing that. O well:confused3

Oh yeah thats what I meant...Later not now...Its nice to know that there will be a list I can work from when the time comes from experienced people. :thumbsup2

What do you mean? I have my suitcase laid out for DAP. Already formulating a packing plan to increase volume of stuff, yet maintain the current count of pieces of luggage.:goodvibes

We were on our verandah every day. Either for a little quiet time (when we left port, sitting out there, looking at the water made me stop and think about really being on vacation), or to show other guests how cool it was.

I'll be happy to have you show me your "cool verandah"!

We weren't evacuated. I was never in the parking lot. We were diverted to another lot. I didn't rush to anything. Rushing would've been me getting there at 10am like some suggested. I drove away from my home in Ga. that morning, because I was in no hurry. I could've easily left the night before. And lastly, please give Disers a little more credit than to "panic" because of a rare situation. I won't panic. I'll just arrive earlier.

P.S. Thank you for the tip about stateroom climate. Now I know. The solution is so simple, it's frustrating that I didn't think of doing that. O well:confused3

Wow, what an ordeal you had. I'm glad that you were finally able to get on and relax. I would be stressed if that happened. And, as a first time cruiser reading about your story, I'd be tempted to arrive early. Thanks for clearing that up, Tracy. Now that I have cruised, I understand how the system works, but wouldn't as a firsttimer. It sounds like your situation was one that it wouldn't have mattered what time you got there. It was just unlucky that it was right before you arrived. Did they ever find anything with the package?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter