Things to do with baby

ksl5f123

DIS Veteran
We are planning our first trip for this summer. I have 5 kids who will be 13, 11, 8 or 9 (may have his birthday while we are there), 4, and 11 months. While DH is taking the older ones on rides, what are some things I could do with the baby? She likely won't be walking yet, so I would probably avoid play areas, most rides seem to have height requirements, and I can't imagine she would sit still for too many shows. Not having been before, I just can't figure out what she and I can do. Suggestions please?

All I can think of is you taking a nice stroll through the park, occasionally sit and relax while enjoying the sights, as you essentially eliminated everything else. Oh, and there is shopping at the gift shops as well.

However, is there anything in particular you want to ride? I know you said your DH is taking the older one's on rides, but if you truly desire to go on any of the rides you can do child swap. I just do not want you to completely eliminate the idea of you enjoying any rides at all if there really is anything you're interested in.

One ride I realized you can do with your baby, by yourself, is the Hogwarts Express (taking off from Hogsmeade is one experience, taking off from Diagon Alley is a different experience), but that is only if your family is planning to do park-to-park tickets.

EDIT: I just looked up Caro-Seuss-el and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and both have no height requirement. However, if you're worried about your child moving (as you mentioned before) HE might be the best ride for you.

Also, I know you said maybe not shows, but you can at least try to do shows that are outside and sit in the first seat in rows closest to exits, that way if your child moves too much, or starts crying you can make a quick escape without disturbing people. There are a few inside shows (with moving seats) that have seats that do not move and you're able to enjoy with a baby, but since you seem concerned about you not being able to do shows at all, I would recommend an outside show if you change your mind on even wanting to consider trying.

That being said, if you do not want to ride anything, or do not want to consider shows, especially if you do not want to do play areas, I honestly say that it might even be better for you to not go into the park at all. I feel it seems pricey for someone to have to pay the amount of money you'd have to do for you to simply enjoy the sights, as you can easily shop at the City Walk and if your family wanted to enjoy lunch, or dinner as a family they could leave the park and meet you at a restaurant in City Walk.

However, I have to say if you love taking photos, just walking around and taking as many photos as possible to capture all the sights would take some time and fun (at least I personally love taking photos), especially if you might decide to hang around your family and would like to take some candid shots before and after their experiences. As they're on the ride, you can take photos of the area, or shop in the gift shops, or sit somewhere and relax with your baby.

We are planning our first trip for this summer. I have 5 kids who will be 13, 11, 8 or 9 (may have his birthday while we are there), 4, and 11 months. While DH is taking the older ones on rides, what are some things I could do with the baby? She likely won't be walking yet, so I would probably avoid play areas, most rides seem to have height requirements, and I can't imagine she would sit still for too many shows. Not having been before, I just can't figure out what she and I can do. Suggestions please?

First, if you don't have Express Pass, you can make 2 of your kids totally happy by parent swapping the popular rides...the parent swap rooms are pretty nice and very contained...

Second, I would see the Barney show, the Animal Actors on Location show, and the Suess Land show - all seem to delight the youngest. After Barney, I WOULD stay in that inside play area - parts of it are made for babies (there is a tiny water/sand area to play in and a small train that would be perfect for the baby's size). After Seuss, I would stay for all the character greets.

Third, I would check out some of the other character arrivals and characters. The supers showing up is pretty cool to watch and you and the baby could get pics with all of them. The Hop team and its band arrival is also nice. The Transformer and Donkey/Shrek meet and the Minions dance party are fun (and speaking of Minions, take the baby in as a non-moving seat ride - you can sometimes walk right in).

Fourth, I would check out the parade and the daily low key roving shows. Even if baby doesn't care about some of them, they are all different and fun - babies love music, dancing, lights, fun...

Fifth, I'd ride the train and enjoy both HP areas. If you have a wand, you could do all the spells to baby's delight - and do them over and over and over again b/c babies love repetition.

All I can think of is you taking a nice stroll through the park, occasionally sit and relax while enjoying the sights, as you essentially eliminated everything else. Oh, and there is shopping at the gift shops as well.

However, is there anything in particular you want to ride? I know you said your DH is taking the older one's on rides, but if you truly desire to go on any of the rides you can do child swap. I just do not want you to completely eliminate the idea of you enjoying any rides at all if there really is anything you're interested in.

One ride I realized you can do with your baby, by yourself, is the Hogwarts Express (taking off from Hogsmeade is one experience, taking off from Diagon Alley is a different experience), but that is only if your family is planning to do park-to-park tickets.

EDIT: I just looked up Caro-Seuss-el and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and both have no height requirement. However, if you're worried about your child moving (as you mentioned before) HE might be the best ride for you.

Also, I know you said maybe not shows, but you can at least try to do shows that are outside and sit in the first seat in rows closest to exits, that way if your child moves too much, or starts crying you can make a quick escape without disturbing people. There are a few inside shows (with moving seats) that have seats that do not move and you're able to enjoy with a baby, but since you seem concerned about you not being able to do shows at all, I would recommend an outside show if you change your mind on even wanting to consider trying.

That being said, if you do not want to ride anything, or do not want to consider shows, especially if you do not want to do play areas, I honestly say that it might even be better for you to not go into the park at all. I feel it seems pricey for someone to have to pay the amount of money you'd have to do for you to simply enjoy the sights, as you can easily shop at the City Walk and if your family wanted to enjoy lunch, or dinner as a family they could leave the park and meet you at a restaurant in City Walk.

However, I have to say if you love taking photos, just walking around and taking as many photos as possible to capture all the sights would take some time and fun (at least I personally love taking photos), especially if you might decide to hang around your family and would like to take some candid shots before and after their experiences. As they're on the ride, you can take photos of the area, or shop in the gift shops, or sit somewhere and relax with your baby.

Thanks! I am not eliminating all shows, I just think I will need to mix it up a bit. Personally, I would be happy to go from show to show all day, but I think baby might get bored with that approach.

I think she would be great with the rides you mentioned because there will be moving colorful things. Thanks very much for those suggestions! I always say my personal ride mantra is "nothing that moves faster than I can walk". I haven't researched the rides enough to know how many fall in that category. My 11 yo has the same policy, so I will probably have her and maybe the 4 yo with me much of the day.

I am not a big shopper, but I love taking pictures so that is a great idea!

First, if you don't have Express Pass, you can make 2 of your kids totally happy by parent swapping the popular rides...the parent swap rooms are pretty nice and very contained...

Second, I would see the Barney show, the Animal Actors on Location show, and the Suess Land show - all seem to delight the youngest. After Barney, I WOULD stay in that inside play area - parts of it are made for babies (there is a tiny water/sand area to play in and a small train that would be perfect for the baby's size). After Seuss, I would stay for all the character greets.

Third, I would check out some of the other character arrivals and characters. The supers showing up is pretty cool to watch and you and the baby could get pics with all of them. The Hop team and its band arrival is also nice. The Transformer and Donkey/Shrek meet and the Minions dance party are fun (and speaking of Minions, take the baby in as a non-moving seat ride - you can sometimes walk right in).

Fourth, I would check out the parade and the daily low key roving shows. Even if baby doesn't care about some of them, they are all different and fun - babies love music, dancing, lights, fun...

Fifth, I'd ride the train and enjoy both HP areas. If you have a wand, you could do all the spells to baby's delight - and do them over and over and over again b/c babies love repetition.

Thank you!! These are all great ideas!

Thanks! I am not eliminating all shows, I just think I will need to mix it up a bit. Personally, I would be happy to go from show to show all day, but I think baby might get bored with that approach.

I think she would be great with the rides you mentioned because there will be moving colorful things. Thanks very much for those suggestions! I always say my personal ride mantra is "nothing that moves faster than I can walk". I haven't researched the rides enough to know how many fall in that category. My 11 yo has the same policy, so I will probably have her and maybe the 4 yo with me much of the day.

I am not a big shopper, but I love taking pictures so that is a great idea!

I have a pass at Universal and no many how many times I've come to the park I always take countless photos, so you can definitely spend a lot of time doing that, especially capturing the dragon on top of Gringott's (which goes off every 10 minutes). It's always fun to get things in different shots, as well as even video recording the things that happen around the parks. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun whatever it is you decide to do.

At that age, just taking in the sights and sounds is pretty fun for a baby. I wouldn't count on the not walking though. Two of my three were walking by then. The other waited a lot longer and was actually the one who went to Disney and Universal at 11 months. My middle child did both parks at 2 months and 8 months. We have a lot of cute pictures of her scooting around.

We stay together when we have a baby. Child swap is easy and babies like to look around. Your 4 year old will likely take more planning. I would focus on how you are going to balance things for the 4 year old and then the baby goes where ever y'all go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter