Things Disney Offers But Doesn't Advertise *Summary Added Oct 08*

I finally got through most of this thread...LOTS of cool things I had NO idea about....thanks to everyone for sharing...I've been to WDW many times and thought I knew a lot about the parks but I've learned a ton.....I'll be at MK in a few weeks and I'm going to check out a few of these :)

I finally made my way through this thread by reading some of the posts every day for a week. The thread is old enough that many of the things mentioned here are apparently no longer available so we'd have to start the whole thing over to get current information, but it was extremely entertaining. Thank you to all who contributed.

My best "freebie" was at Disneyland. My companions and I went over to the fountains by the Disneyland hotel to take a break from the parks. The koi ponds and the waterfall sounds were so rejuvenating that we returned to the Magic Kingdom a half hour later feeling like we had just been out in a rural area and were now returning to town.

My dad was Veteran of the Day on Feb 1 of this year, did have the band, but no doves. It was terrrific. Did find out that the band's appearance is weather dependent....when we arrived at the flag pole for my dad's cerermony it had just stopped raining and they were checking to see if the band would be coming out. Thank goodness the skies cleared and out they came. Very cool.

Dad also got a special certificate and a "cannot buy this anywhere" "Veteran of the Day" pin as well as a certificate that we could redeem for a free 5x7 photo of the 20-30 pictures the Disney photographer took during the ceremony. They posed the whole family for photos afterwards with Dad holding the folded flag and Mom holding his certificate. They also will load all of the pics onto a photopass for you, so you can select others later if you wish.

If you are interested, check in at city Hall the first day of your vacation and ask if there are any openings during your stay. This was a surprise for my Dad and everyone agreed that it was the highlight of the trip, so I would have forgone dining reservations or anything else to be a part of the wonderful experience. They make sure that family is positioned just to the left of the flag pole, so you have a perfect view of everything. We took tons of pictures as well as video. I even snuck my Dad's Navy baseball cap (the one with his ship on it) and had it in my back pack so he could wear it for the ceremony. :thumbsup2

The folks who run this program are the best. Dave, go for it you are a vet!!!

What a great story! Thanks for sharing DisneyWalkerGirl! There may be more info somewhere else in this thread, but does anyone have any more/recent info. on the flag retreat? DGD is retired Navy, and DM and I think it would be great experience during our next trip. If anyone has more info, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Does anyone know if the talking fountain is still operating at Epcot?

Also, is there a way to see the schedules for the movies shown at Fort Wilderness and the Beach Club?

ETA: I just found the schedules on buildabettermousetrip.com. (Can I mention them?) Cool. :thumbsup2

The other thing is never be afraid to ask about something you never know what you may find out, example was on our 03 trip we noticed a building when we came in on the mono rail to epcot so we walked down and asked what it was. A cm said it was a new ride and asked if we would like a sneak peak, long story short we rode mission space before it was open to public. That is the biggest key to disney is to ask questions to cm you never know what you might stumble into

That is pretty cool. :thumbsup2

What a great story! Thanks for sharing DisneyWalkerGirl! There may be more info somewhere else in this thread, but does anyone have any more/recent info. on the flag retreat? DGD is retired Navy, and DM and I think it would be great experience during our next trip. If anyone has more info, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

For the flag retreat you would have to go to guest services to schedule if you want to be the Military Hero that helps lower the flag. Also if you have kids that want to help participate just show up for the ceremony early and ask the Dapper Dans if they need help with the ceremony. I had been to DW so many times and had never seen the ceremony so I decided on our last trip to make it a priority to be there for it. While we were waiting the Dapper Dans came over and asked if both of my kids wanted to be a part of it. They got to stand right next to them and were introduced to the crowd and then got to say the pledge of allegiance. At the end of the ceremony they gave my kids a Dapper Dans trading card and thanked them for their help. My kids loved this. Also, my kids have gotten to call out Tink several times. All you have to do is go up to the register in her shop and ask the CM if you can call her. It is really neat and they get everyone around you involved too. You can do this at any time during the day. One of my kids favorite things to do is go to HS on extra magic hours night and go in the playhouse disney after hours party. They have a DJ, free balloon artists, and the characters come out and dance with the kids you can come and go at any time during the EMH.

Just asking for clarification:

Are the transportation cards still given out on the buses, monorails, boats, etc?????

Those really are neat looking....I know Im a 42 year old Kid what can I say! :)

Just asking for clarification:

Are the transportation cards still given out on the buses, monorails, boats, etc?????

Those really are neat looking....I know Im a 42 year old Kid what can I say! :)

We went in December 2008 and my daughter did get a card for a ride at the front of the monorail. :)

Was it the Monorail Copilot card? Or the trading card they showed in an earlier post? Ive seen the Copilot one (I have that, I love the Monorail lol) but never the trading card ones....

Was it the Monorail Copilot card? Or the trading card they showed in an earlier post? Ive seen the Copilot one (I have that, I love the Monorail lol) but never the trading card ones....

Actually, she got two or three trading cards. I only remember that one of them was of Jiminy Cricket. :goodvibes

We get the Kitchen Sink at Beaches N Cream(Beach Club) every trip. but last trip we ate lunch there and i have to say burgers and everything like that were getting old but they were a lot better at beaches n cram then in any park. Also the Kitchen Sink is a great value for a family and if you don't like something in it just ask and they will change it to something you do like. I haven't found anything i don't like there yet.

A couple of things to do if your at WDW around Christmas is a gingerbread stand in the Beach Club lobby. We found it while waiting for our table at Cape May Cafe. The will give kids a gingerbread man and let them decorate it with icing and different candies. They also have gingerbread samples and sell ginger bread there and it is amazing.

For DVC members if you go out the back gate at Epcot the have a special DVC members only holiday party(Christmas time) with food and drinks provided. There is music with a dance floor and disney characters come out and dance. We have pictures of my niece and nephews out of the dance floor dancing with goofy. A great freebie for DVC members. There is a sign with party times on it usually a couple times a week a few weeks leading up to the holidays.

Keep this post going there are some great tips here.

Does anyone know if the talking fountain is still operating at Epcot?

Also, is there a way to see the schedules for the movies shown at Fort Wilderness and the Beach Club?

ETA: I just found the schedules on buildabettermousetrip.com. (Can I mention them?) Cool. :thumbsup2

I think you are refering to the the fountain at Universal Studios IOA. I can't place one anywhere on Disney property from memory. Chances are with all the H.P. renovations going on that area might have been changed.

It was a blast my three boys had a great time with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter