They are just Halloween Lights!

middlesista

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip next month and I am excited to decorate our windows for Halloween! I purchased some Halloween lights (pumpkins and ghosts) and plan to bring an extension cord and a timer and hook everything together and place in a clear plastic bag and pack in our suitcases so they will be all set to go once we arrive.

My husband informed me that the TSA folks will probably have a problem and tear through our luggage. So I am wondering if I should ship this all to the resort instead?

Any advice appreciated. Geez - who thought bringing a few strings of lights could be a problem :confused3

Are you putting them in your checked luggage or doing carryon? With Carry on, yes a timer and electrical strings could set off some extra screening time but in your checked luggage I don't think it will give you that much speical attention.

I do alot of group activity planning for a group in another city and when I trave for those events I bring some crazy stuff with me ;) But have not yet had anything very strange happen or been sought out for speical attention. I do check my luggage and would not bring most this through as a carryon. I mean why woudn't someone bring 20 rolls of duct tape and 10 boxes of christmas lights and several bottles of glue to Denver right :)

Remember you can't use adhesive to hang decorations on or around the resort rooms. Window clings are good, tape or glue is a no no.

Are you putting them in your checked luggage or doing carryon? With Carry on, yes a timer and electrical strings could set off some extra screening time but in your checked luggage I don't think it will give you that much speical attention. I do alot of group activity planning for a group in another city and when I trave for those events I bring some crazy stuff with me ;) But have not yet had anything very strange happen or been sought out for speical attention. I do check my luggage and would not bring most this through as a carryon. I mean why woudn't someone bring 20 rolls of duct tape and 10 boxes of christmas lights and several bottles of glue to Denver right :)

Thanks! Yes checked and not carry on. Glad to hear this since I do not relish shipping to resort!!

I did pack lights last trip but not a timer or extension since we did battery operated lights but I could not find much for Halloween lights that ran on batteries. Funny thing though - for our last trip when we got our luggage to the room and I opened it up all the lights were on and twinkling happily away. figured it was either the TSA or Tinkerbelle. : )

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Remember you can't use adhesive to hang decorations on or around the resort rooms. Window clings are good, tape or glue is a no no.

I am bringing items as well do decorate our door and window.
Can we use those command strips ? magnets i assume are ok, and I have suction cups for the windows.

I am bringing items as well do decorate our door and window. Can we use those command strips ? magnets i assume are ok, and I have suction cups for the windows.

We used the command strip with no problems. They did no damage and were easy to get off window.

I had no idea about the no adhesive rule! I've used small pieces of tape to hang birthday streamers on my last two trips!

I had no idea about the no adhesive rule! I've used small pieces of tape to hang birthday streamers on my last two trips!

There were so many people doing this, that the housekeepers were spending a huge amount of time scraping down windows and walls! Not everyone was good about removing the evidence of tape.

There were so many people doing this, that the housekeepers were spending a huge amount of time scraping down windows and walls! Not everyone was good about removing the evidence of tape.

No one said anything to me when I was at Pop last week or I would've taken them down. I was very careful to remove every last piece of tape though.

Great idea! I pack extension cords, power strips and my CPAP in my checked luggage all the time and have never been stopped by any TSA screening.

Ack! Unless you have the spare coin to replace that cpap, carry it on! It's far too delicate and expensive to be tossed around like checked bags are. It counts as medical equipment and therefore can be a third item if you also have carryon and personal item. DH doesn't even get stopped anymore at all, it seems like they recognize cpaps perfectly now.

As for Halloween lights and such, I'd put those I my carryon too. There's nothing not allowed there so why not?

Great idea! I pack extension cords, power strips and my CPAP in my checked luggage all the time and have never been stopped by any TSA screening. Carry on bag is another story altogether. Put everything, including suction cups, in your checked bags and you should be fine. Electrical equipment is not on the "prohibited items" list at TSA https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/prohibiteditems_brochure.pdf

DH does pack his CPAP in the carry on - don't want to chance the luggage not showing. All the rest of our "electrical supplies" we will toss in the carry on. Sure I would be disappointed if we lost the lights but at least I could sleep - without DH using his CPAP I do beleive I would be up all night:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter