The Widow, the Spinster, and the Missus take on Disneyland - A little OT Interlude in Napa 4/14

These toy soldiers are actually real trumpet players who are hired for the season. They play special trumpets provided by Disney.

x23DL1120DLR38.jpg
I was quite amazed by that when I realized/you mentioned it!
This Christmas Tree that was propelled by itself was a little weird.
Although at Disney...I guess it has no "Disney" to it
The Step Sisters are always entertaining.

x23DL1120DLR48.jpg
They sure are! Always enjoy them :thumbsup2
You got some nice shots of the "couples" ::yes::

Onwards!

Oh, really?? What do they play?
It's a mix of tunes, I know there is a form of Jingle Bells in there, intertwined with the traditional song. And some other songs once you get past the Christmas celebrating countries. You can check it out here.

They don't actually get into the ride until about 2:45, and I just watched half the video, I guess it's only Jingle Bells and the IASW song.
They are cute. I have been at WDW a few times at Christmas and always liked the snowmen they had in their parade. They were a little different though but I just love snowmen in general :love:
Personified snow people are definitely cute!
She should have the Christmas dress :)
I didn't make that connection, but you're right.
Looks like a nice parade. I would love to go at Christmas time again someday. World or Land

I can make out to Disneyland easily (obviously), but I'm considering a visit in December this year, hopefully I'll make the decision in the next day or two.

What?????
Really?? No way! I just assumed the song was piped in. I’ll be darned!

Yeah, one year our Community Band was performing at Disney the same day that the trumpet players were getting fitted for their costumes. We were all in the same backstage area. When they found out who our band was, they were asking, "Where's Justin?" (the previous conductor of the band). Evidently he was pretty notorious, they all seemed to know him.

Moving plants… the stuff of nightmares.

::yes::

I counted eight. :thumbsup2

How many are there supposed to be?

Yeah, one year our Community Band was performing at Disney the same day that the trumpet players were getting fitted for their costumes. We were all in the same backstage area. When they found out who our band was, they were asking, "Where's Justin?" (the previous conductor of the band). Evidently he was pretty notorious, they all seemed to know him.
Hmmm... notorious, you say?

popcorn::
How many are there supposed to be?
From "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (More commonly known as "Twas the Night Before Christmas"

"...When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny rein-deer,..."

So if you remember back in August, Allyson and her family came to visit. When she was here we got to talking about two Disney friends of hers. They are identical twins and she met one of them on a Disney cruise. Allyson and the one twin had daughters of a similar age and were seated at the same dinner table. Well they kept in touch over the years and Allyson even visited the sister that she met on the cruise and stayed over at her house on one occasion.

She told me that both twins were huge Disney fans and if it were possible that they could experience a meal at Club 33 it would be a bucket list item for them. I told her I would ask my friend and see what he said. Since I’m telling you about this, obviously he was able to make it happen.

The weekend we wanted was not available, that was Candlelight weekend, and the place was already fully booked (meaning Disney and hotels), so forget trying to get a reservation for dinner. Rumor has it they make those six months in advance. So Allyson went ahead and booked flights and hotels for the following weekend. I’m not sure how that happened, but it turned out that I had Holiday concert that weekend, and it made things a little hectic.

So she flew a day or two early. I met up with Allyson and the ladies the day or two before the big event. We met in the Grand Californian hotel and it was all decked out for Christmas including the Gingerbread House.

x23DL1208DLR01.jpg

And the tree in the lobby.

x23DL1208DLR02.jpg

We went on a few rides,

x23DL1208DLR03.jpg

I was feeling a bit peckish, so Allyson and I split a Chicken Shawarma. Enough time had passed since my Egypt trip and I was finally craving Middle Eastern food again.

x23DL1208DLR04.jpg

Then we went on Webslingers. One of the seats malfunctioned and she wasn’t able to shoot any webs after the first room. Boo!

x23DL1208DLR05.jpg

Next we went on Guardians of the Galaxy….

x23DL1208DLR06.jpg

When my friend Bret had visited a few weeks ago, he gave me a lanyard with four tabs left on it that could be used for the Festival of the Holidays. We decided to go ahead and use those up. The first booth we hit up was the Winter Sliderland.

x23DL1208DLR07.jpg

x23DL1208DLR08.jpg

We got one of each, unfortunately the tabs don’t count towards alcoholic beverages in California. This is the Beef Brisket Slider, it was very tasty!

x23DL1208DLR09.jpg

Then we split the Togarashi Karaage Chicken Slider. It was a little messy, but still delicious.

x23DL1208DLR10.jpg

We also really enjoyed the Spiced Pear Mule. I believe it did have some kick to it!

x23DL1208DLR11.jpg

We still had two more tabs to use up, so we headed down towards Hollywood where these next two booths were right outside of Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. Grandma’s Recipes was up first.

x23DL1208DLR12.jpg

x23DL1208DLR13.jpg

Here we got both items. The Barbacoa Tamal de Res. This was just OK. It was a little dry and not warm and melty like we had hoped.

x23DL1208DLR14.jpg

The Berry Pomegranate Paloma was really tasty! And I believe that it was pretty potent!

x23DL1208DLR18.jpg

I also got a thimble of wine as well.

x23DL1208DLR15.jpg

Then we headed over to Holiday Duets for what we thought was the winner of the treats for today.

x23DL1208DLR16.jpg

x23DL1208DLR17.jpg

The Chocolate Tart made with TWIX cookie bar pieces. This was super good.

x23DL1208DLR19.jpg

It had this super rich and creamy center. Allyson and I were lucky that we were splitting these. It was way too much for one person to eat.

x23DL1208DLR20.jpg

Then we headed over to Disneyland and met up with the gals again to watch the Christmas Fantasy Parade. I was the only one who had seen it before, and this time it was at night and going the opposite direction, so that was fun! I didn’t take any pictures, so I was lucky that Allyson sent these to me.

x23DL1208DLR21.jpg

x23DL1208DLR22.jpg

x23DL1208DLR23.jpg

x23DL1208DLR24.jpg

x23DL1208DLR25.jpg

x23DL1208DLR26.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

After the Parade we decided to take a spin on Haunted Mansion Holiday. I believe this was the first time that I got to ride it during this season, hence the reason I took so many pictures.

x23DL1208DLR27.jpg

This is one of the hardest shots to take, it’s not great, but it’s the best of the lot.

x23DL1208DLR28.jpg

x23DL1208DLR29.jpg

I see these plants and I instantly start hearing the song,

“Na, na-na, na, na.
Na-na, na, na, na,
Na, na-na, na, na,
Na, na, na, na, na…..

I can’t phrase it any better, IYKYK

x23DL1208DLR30.jpg

x23DL1208DLR31.jpg

x23DL1208DLR32.jpg

x23DL1208DLR33.jpg

x23DL1208DLR34.jpg

x23DL1208DLR35.jpg

x23DL1208DLR36.jpg

x23DL1208DLR37.jpg

x23DL1208DLR38.jpg

x23DL1208DLR39.jpg

x23DL1208DLR40.jpg

x23DL1208DLR41.jpg

After that I had to say goodbye to everyone. I needed to get home because Jill was flying in from Denver. As soon as she heard about a trip to Club 33, she crashed the party. Her plane ended up being about 45 minutes late and she didn’t get to my house until almost 9:30PM.

Up next. They get to have all the fun while I’m in a silly rehearsal.

If you met him, you would understand.

DclJb0ZZAlVnKiW4f4.webp

The Grand is so pretty during the holidays...My favorite resort.
After that I had to say goodbye to everyone. I needed to get home because Jill was flying in from Denver. As soon as she heard about a trip to Club 33, she crashed the party. Her plane ended up being about 45 minutes late and she didn’t get to my house until almost 9:30PM.
Worth it!

Jill in CO

If you met him, you would understand.
Maybe some day. :)
They are identical twins and she met one of them on a Disney cruise.
Then she's kinda met them both.
Since I’m telling you about this, obviously he was able to make it happen.
Heh. Otherwise it'd be:
"My friend said "No". The end. Thanks for reading."
Gorgeous.
I was feeling a bit peckish, so Allyson and I split a Chicken Shawarma
I finally had one last year! Yum!
Enough time had passed since my Egypt trip and I was finally craving Middle Eastern food again.
I do know that feeling. Not in relation to Egyptian food, but...
Then we went on Webslingers. One of the seats malfunctioned and she wasn’t able to shoot any webs after the first room. Boo!
Too bad. :(
This is the Beef Brisket Slider, it was very tasty!
Looks tasty!
Then we split the Togarashi Karaage Chicken Slider. It was a little messy, but still delicious.
Looks both of those things.
The Berry Pomegranate Paloma was really tasty!
That sounds interesting.
Looks decadent. Not surprised you needed help eating it!
This is one of the hardest shots to take, it’s not great, but it’s the best of the lot.
Why? Fast moving at that point (plus dark)?
looking it up....
I see these plants and I instantly start hearing the song,

“Na, na-na, na, na.
Na-na, na, na, na,
Na, na-na, na, na,
Na, na, na, na, na…..

Do you mean this?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=na+n...ate=ive&vld=cid:1cb5bcc3,vid:yXnVnSXofDY,st:0
As soon as she heard about a trip to Club 33, she crashed the party.
:laughing: I don't blame her one bit!

I would ask my friend and see what he said. Since I’m telling you about this, obviously he was able to make it happen.
I'm so glad it was able to work out considering we were thinking that first weekend, we know now that those resos are gone months and months ahead :groom:

x23DL1208DLR02.jpg
Loved this tree so much!!

so Allyson and I split a Chicken Shawarma. Enough time had passed since my Egypt trip and I was finally craving Middle Eastern food again.

x23DL1208DLR04.jpg
I can't remember if I suggested this, or you did, I feel like you had it before and suggested it? Either way, it was yummy!

One of the seats malfunctioned and she wasn’t able to shoot any webs after the first room. Boo!

x23DL1208DLR05.jpg
Would have been a devent score if I'd have got another 100K or so!

These pics never get old!

It was a little messy, but still delicious.

x23DL1208DLR10.jpg
I remember looking at this and thinking "hmmm" but it was so good!

I believe it did have some kick to it!

x23DL1208DLR11.jpg
yup, it had kick!

This was super tasty as well!

x23DL1208DLR19.jpg
Yum, but soo rich if I remember correctly! I think we managed to finish it, but barely!

The snake is going to get my head!!

Jill was flying in from Denver. As soon as she heard about a trip to Club 33, she crashed the party.
So glad Jill could make it!

Then she's kinda met them both.
Well actually no, in some ways they couldn't be more different.
Heh. Otherwise it'd be:
"My friend said "No". The end. Thanks for reading."
:lmao:
I finally had one last year! Yum!

:thumbsup2 Yes they are!

I do know that feeling. Not in relation to Egyptian food, but...

Yeah, pretty much any foreign country where you eat a lot of their food for a long time, you can get sick of it.

Looks decadent. Not surprised you needed help eating it!

Yeah, it was definitely rich.

Why? Fast moving at that point (plus dark)?

I'm not sure why. The darkness for sure, you've got Zero floating at the end of that hallway where the candleabra is usually floating, maybe because his bones as stacked at the front and he is floating at the back and camera doesn't know where to focus.

No, this....skip ahead to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

:laughing: I don't blame her one bit!

She does it again in a few weeks.

I'm so glad it was able to work out considering we were thinking that first weekend, we know now that those resos are gone months and months ahead :groom:

It was a little hectic for me going back and forth for dress rehearsal and concert, but it all worked out and it was fun.

Loved this tree so much!!

They always have such a beautiful tree.

I can't remember if I suggested this, or you did, I feel like you had it before and suggested it? Either way, it was yummy!

I'm pretty sure I did, I love the shawarma there.

Would have been a devent score if I'd have got another 100K or so!

Or if I didn't suck so bad! :laughing:

These pics never get old!

I remember looking at this and thinking "hmmm" but it was so good!

Yeah, I was a little hesitant, but it was really tasty.

yup, it had kick!

:thumbsup2

This was super tasty as well!

Yum, but soo rich if I remember correctly! I think we managed to finish it, but barely!

Yeah, I think I took the last bite and it was really tough.

The snake is going to get my head!!

I know, it looks like it, huh?

So glad Jill could make it!

Yes! We had a blast!

When we last left off, Allyson and I had enjoyed some Festival of the Holidays treats and enjoyed the Christmas Parade and Haunted Mansion with her friends, the twins, and now my new friends. After that fun day I had to go back home because I was expecting Jill who arrived while I was on a zoom call for the band.

We caught up a bit since this was our first time seeing each other again since we were in Egypt. Then we snuggled into our respective bedrooms because we had a very early morning. You see, this wasn’t the best planned weekend. Allyson had forgotten that I had a concert on Sunday when she booked her flights, so while all of the ladies were enjoying a fun time at the resort, I was slogging away at my craft.

Jill and I were awake and dressed by 7:30AM, so we decided to get some breakfast on the way to Disney. We stopped at the Katella Deli. Both of us were wanting pancakes, well actually I wanted a waffle, but evidently we were there so early the batter had not been made yet, so I went with pancakes.

x23DL1209B01.jpg

We shared a side of bacon, and Jill got the Lemon Ricotta pancakes with Blueberry Compote.

x23DL1209B02.jpg

Both were solid choices that gave us good energy for the rest of the day.

Then it was off to Disney, at least for Jill. She had been lucky enough to score a one bedroom for that night at the Grand Californian with her DVC points. One bedroom villas sleep five people, so our entire dinner party would be staying there for the night. We stopped in, dropped off our luggage (the room wasn’t ready yet), and picked up the room keys. Then I got right back into my car and drove to Downtown LA (well technically Koreatown, right next door.)

While the ladies were sending me pictures of their Mimosas that they were enjoying, I was battling this.

x23DL1209B03.jpg

Rehearsal started at 11:30AM and I ended being super early, because even though some of you might think that photo indicated bad traffic, it was actually lighter than I expected it would be. I had time to play games on my phone while I waited. Eventually the equipment truck arrived, and we set up and began to play. Halfway through the rehearsal we changed from the Jazz Band set up to the Concert Band set up. The rehearsal was supposed to go until 3 or 4PM, but I told them I planned to leave at 2PM, and soon I was on my way back to Anaheim.

The room had been ready for several hours already and the ladies had settled in. I had just enough time to change my outfit and get ready for dinner before we left. We took a selfie on the stairs before going up to our table.

x23DL1209DLR01.jpg

The table was set very classy.

x23DL1209DLR03.jpg

After we were seated we were given the menus for the evening.

x23DL1209DLR02.jpg

I started off with my favorite cocktail, a Belvedere Gibson, up.

x23DL1209DLR04.jpg

The ladies were all poured glasses of champagne and we toasted.

x23DL1209DLR05.jpg

This wine was for my first course. Now I sort of mixed things up. Instead of ordering something from the first course section of the menu, I ordered two things from the second course section.

x23DL1209DLR06.jpg

My first course was the Pan Roasted Diver Scallop, Beluga Lentils, Forager Mushrooms. This was perfectly cooked, and the combination of the Lentils and the rest of the sauce was just delicious.

x23DL1209DLR08.jpg

I believe that both Allyson and Jill went with the same first course, and this was their wine.

x23DL1209DLR07.jpg

They had the Savory Prosciutto Cannoli, Parmigiano Reggiano, Artichoke. I’m sure they enjoyed it because I’m pretty sure that their plates were cleaned.

x23DL1209DLR09.jpg

For the next course, I’m pretty sure that everyone went for the Creamy French Onion Soup, Braised Beef, Gruyere Cheese, because there was only one wine poured at the table.

x23DL1209DLR10.jpg

x23DL1209DLR12.jpg

This was super tasty, and had a lot of beef, and that beef was very tender. We were also served bread with this course.

x23DL1209DLR11.jpg

For the main course, we each had something different and therefore had a different wine as well.

I had the lamb, so I was served this Syrah from Sonoma Coast.

x23DL1209DLR15.jpg

Roasted Colorado Lamb Chop, Cheddar Yorkshire Pudding, Apple Compote, so delicious!

x23DL1209DLR16.jpg

Jill had the Filet, so she was served this Cabernet Sauvignon Blend from Bordeaux, France.

x23DL1209DLR13.jpg

Grilled Filet Mignon, Bacon, Sweet Potato, Cabernet Essence.

x23DL1209DLR18.jpg

Allyson ordered the Fish and so she was served this Sangiovese from Tuscany, Italy.

x23DL1209DLR14.jpg

Sauteed Sustainable Fish (I forgot what it was), Pacific White Shrimp, Tomato-Saffron Broth.

x23DL1209DLR17.jpg

I’m sure everything was just lovely, no one complained!

And then it was time for dessert. I was the only one who went with the chocolate, and so I was served this Madeira from Portugal.

x23DL1209DLR20.jpg

Which paired nicely with Decadent Chocolate Pave Bar, Cookie Butter Blondie

x23DL1209DLR21.jpg

Jill and Allyson went for the Lemon-Cranberry Cheesecake, Lemon Creme Fraiche and then were served this Inniskillin Ice Wine.

x23DL1209DLR19.jpg

They said that this cheesecake was super light and super tasty.

x23DL1209DLR22.jpg

Following dinner we wanted to see World of Color. The fireworks had been canceled due to high winds, so most of us headed over to DCA. Jill’s feet were killing her, so she bailed on the show. We were able to get good seats and enjoyed the show.

x23DL1209DLR23.jpg

Following the show I was completely wiped. I had brought a bottle of wine in case anyone wanted a nip after dinner, but it was all I could do just to get undressed and climb under the covers.

The next day, my new friends, the twins had bailed super early. They had a 6AM flight home. The rest of us woke up around 7AM and I had to be out the door quickly because this was the day of the concert and I had to be back at the same church in DTLA by 11AM. Another fun ladies weekend in the books.

The next one will be EPIC!

Well actually no, in some ways they couldn't be more different.
I get that. My best friend was an identical twin... and they couldn't be more different too.
I'm not sure why. The darkness for sure, you've got Zero floating at the end of that hallway where the candleabra is usually floating, maybe because his bones as stacked at the front and he is floating at the back and camera doesn't know where to focus.
I get that.
No, this....skip ahead to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
Ohhhhhhhhh...
She does it again in a few weeks.
I have to start crashing these parties too! :laughing:

I think I would cramp your all girl party! :)
We caught up a bit since this was our first time seeing each other again since we were in Egypt.
Did you have a lot of reminiscing?
so while all of the ladies were enjoying a fun time at the resort, I was slogging away at my craft.
Oh dear.
Jill got the Lemon Ricotta pancakes with Blueberry Compote.
Not a huge fan of pancakes, but... I think this sounds right up my alley.
Then it was off to Disney, at least for Jill. She had been lucky enough to score a one bedroom for that night at the Grand Californian with her DVC points.
Nice!
One bedroom villas sleep five people
I think I knew this, but... surprises me
While the ladies were sending me pictures of their Mimosas that they were enjoying, I was battling this.
Oh, yikes. Been there, done that. Why I much prefer being on a motorcycle.
it was actually lighter than I expected it would be.
phew
What a nice shot of everyone! :)
The table was set very classy.
No surprise there.
After we were seated we were given the menus for the evening.
This might be one of my favourite things to do on your TRs. I like to pick from the menu and see how my choices compare with yours.
I started off with my favorite cocktail, a Belvedere Gibson, up.
But of course.
The ladies were all poured glasses of champagne and we toasted.
Like that photo. :)
I ordered two things from the second course section.
Wait! You can do that? Going back up to re-look at the menu. I know I'm changing my mind.
My first course was the Pan Roasted Diver Scallop
::yes:: My pick too, because...
For the next course, I’m pretty sure that everyone went for the Creamy French Onion Soup,
...I'm definitely getting this.
I had the lamb,
This was a close second for me
Jill had the Filet
As was this...
Allyson ordered the Fish
...and this!
I would have asked if anyone wanted to share that fish for two. Sounded really interesting.
And then it was time for dessert. I was the only one who went with the chocolate
Nope. Gonna go another way on this one.
Jill and Allyson went for the Lemon-Cranberry Cheesecake, Lemon Creme Fraiche and then were served this Inniskillin Ice Wine.
That was another close second. The pear dessert, while I may not have enjoyed it as much, just sounded too interesting.
Jill’s feet were killing her, so she bailed on the show.
Poor Jill. :(
popcorn::

It was a whirlwind weekend but so fun! Just note to self...don't wear brand new shoes to walk across DL in....The back of my heels were NOT happy!

Jill in CO

It was a little hectic for me going back and forth for dress rehearsal and concert, but it all worked out and it was fun.
Yes it was, will do better next time with the planning!

Very good looking brekkie, bacon looks really good!

because even though some of you might think that photo indicated bad traffic, it was actually lighter than I expected it would be.
To me it does!
This is a really nice pic!

I’m sure they enjoyed it because I’m pretty sure that their plates were cleaned.

x23DL1209DLR09.jpg
Yes, I loved this dish!

This was super tasty, and had a lot of beef, and that beef was very tender.
It was so good, and yes, I remember it had loads of beef in it that was really tender and tasty!

Sauteed Sustainable Fish (I forgot what it was), Pacific White Shrimp, Tomato-Saffron Broth.

x23DL1209DLR17.jpg
I can't remember what it was either, but I do love a perfectly cooked white fish!
We were able to get good seats and enjoyed the show.
I do really enjoy WOC, what a great way to end a lovely evening!
Another fun ladies weekend in the books.
So very lucky indeed
👀👀

I get that. My best friend was an identical twin... and they couldn't be more different too.
I've known fraternal twins, but I think these were the first identical twins I've really met.
I have to start crashing these parties too! :laughing:

I think I would cramp your all girl party! :)
We've been known to have a token male in the group.....
Did you have a lot of reminiscing?
No, just wine drinking. We text every day throughout the day. :laughing:
Not a huge fan of pancakes, but... I think this sounds right up my alley.
I love pancakes and waffles!
I think I knew this, but... surprises me
Two in the Master bedroom, two on the pull out couch, and there is a Murphy bed under the TV that fits a shorter person. Allyson loves it.
Oh, yikes. Been there, done that. Why I much prefer being on a motorcycle.
I do it several times a week. :rolleyes1
What a nice shot of everyone! :)
:goodvibes
This might be one of my favourite things to do on your TRs. I like to pick from the menu and see how my choices compare with yours.
Sorry you won't be able to do that on the next one.
Like that photo. :)
Thanks!
Wait! You can do that? Going back up to re-look at the menu. I know I'm changing my mind.
Pro-tip!
::yes:: My pick too, because...
...I'm definitely getting this.
This was a close second for me
As was this...
Both are solid choices!
...and this!
I would have asked if anyone wanted to share that fish for two. Sounded really interesting.
As is this!
Nope. Gonna go another way on this one.
I think I tried that the night before.... :rolleyes1
That was another close second. The pear dessert, while I may not have enjoyed it as much, just sounded too interesting.

There are almost always interesting desserts on the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter