The Widow, the Spinster, and the Missus take on Disneyland - Back at DL - A F&W Soft Opening 5/7

The third and final installment of my “Off Topic” trips is a super quick one that Jill and I took to be crazy! This all started on the 4th of July when I was having an insomniac moment in the middle of the night. For some reason, I’ve gotten used to sleeping with the television on. Not too loud, but just enough for some background noise. And then when I wake up and can’t sleep, I’ve got something to amuse me while I try to fall back asleep.

One of the shows that I snooze to is Morning Joe. Often times they have people on there pontificating to the point that it helps me sleep. However on July 4th they had a pre taped show, so that the staff could have the day off. Well one of the “pieces” that they aired was Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells talking about their new upcoming musical on Broadway. The two became a successful pair in their run of “The Book of Mormon” about a decade ago. Since that collaboration ended, the two had been looking for something to work on together again.

Well they had found it. Actually they found it in March of 2020, but we all know how that turned out. So they were finally getting it in production and it would open in October of 2023 with previews starting in September and a total run of 20 weeks. Jill had remarked about how these two were a hilarious pair, and their little promotional shtick that I saw made me think, “Wouldn’t it be fun to fly to NY on a Friday, see the Show Saturday and fly home Sunday?” You see between the cruise earlier this year and Egypt, Jill was all out of vacation time. This trip wouldn’t use up any time, and how crazy is that to fly to NY for a weekend to see a show?

The show was called Gutenberg: The Musical. It’s about two guys who have a dream to put a musical on Broadway, but they know nothing about Broadway and nothing about Gutenberg, the inventor of the Printing Press. So they Google him, and make up the rest! How could this not be funny with these two guys behind it?

So the plan was put into motion. In the months leading up to it we read articles on the show. Gad shared posts on Social Media about preparations and we were super excited. I left Long Beach on Southwest super early, like 7AM and arrived into Denver around 10:30AM. Jill got there around 11:00AM and we settled on Vino Volo for lunch. In hindsight, we should have paid the $50 companion fee to go to the Centurion lounge, because we ended up spending way more than that, but live and learn.

Our flight kept getting pushed back, and then forward. The text messages were coming in every 10-15 minutes, and each one would contradict the previous one. Finally we just went to our gate to wait it out. As it turns out, this was the day that New York City got hit with that major storm and flooded one of the terminals at LaGuardia and other parts of the city. We were delayed around three hours because there was a full ground stop at the airport where we were supposed to land.

We were supposed to arrive at 8PM and in the end we got there at 11PM. But the good news was that the storm had passed and now it was clear and the weather was actually pretty nice! This was another carry-on only trip, and we were off the plane in no time and ready to hit the town!

We ordered a Lyft and went to meet our driver at the pick up location. He was a pretty good driver and even pointed out some sights on the way to our hotel. Here is the empire state building from the ground.

x23NY0929JR01_5npZKbmDF3uFhFCUuxnuj3.jpg

Jill was able to score a room at the Marriott Marquis right off Times Square with her Bonvoy points. I covered the flights with the airline miles Fran left me. At this point the only costs we’d incurred were the tickets to the show and the food and drinks at the Denver Airport.

x23NY0929JR02.jpg

We’d had some ideas of where to get dinner, but those all went out the window with the three hour delay. As we were getting our bags unpacked, etc. Jill noticed out the window below our room that there was Junior’s (Deli) and it looked open. We googled and it was open until 1AM! Perfect! There was a 20 minute wait, but if we wanted to sit at the counter we could be seated immediately. Even better.

This guy was our server and bartender. He did his best at my Martini. They didn’t have any onions, so a twist of lemon was going to have to do!

x23NY0929JR03.jpg

We split a corned beef ruben and fries which was just perfect for the two of us…..

x23NY0929JR04.jpg

Because we had room to order a slice of Cheesecake!

x23NY0929JR05.jpg

I think we both slept well that night. We didn’t sleep in too late despite the late night. We were already dressed and at breakfast by 9:30AM since that’s the time stamp on this photo.

x23NY0930JR01.jpg

Jill got the Cheese Blintzes. They were such a huge portion she didn’t even have a chance of finishing all of it.

x23NY0930JR02.jpg

Same for me except I went with the Corn Flake Crusted French Toast.

x23NY0930JR03.jpg

With our bellies full, and nothing to do until dinner at around 5PM we pondered our options. We decided to check out Times Square for a bit. It was drizzling and a little chilly (for me, Jill lives in Denver).

x23NY0930MB01.jpg

We made a stop at the Disney Store, but didn’t purchase anything.

x23NY0930MB02.jpg

We had decided that our activity for the day would be to visit the Museum of Broadway. It had opened fairly recently and was right up the street from our hotel.

x23NY0930MB03.jpg

Before the self guided tour started, we waited in a room where they had playbills for many of the current productions playing on Broadway. We thought taking a picture with the one we were planning on seeing was a good idea.

x23NY0930MB04.jpg

The tour started with a movie/multimedia type presentation in a room with about 15-20 other people. It defined the area that we call Broadway, and the history of how that area was developed and eventually became protected. After that brief presentation the self guided tour began. It started in the late 1800s and covered all kinds of performers in vaudeville, ragtime, and many other genres. At one point, we walked up three to four stories of stairs to get to the top floor of the building.

The major displays began with the musicals Showboat and Oklahoma! Following that nearly every major musical of the 20th century had some sort of display. As we moved from room to room, the music changed with the featured musical. There were also videos with insights from composers, performers, and others who were associated with the production.

There were a number of photo ops, and we took advantage of a couple.

x23NY0930MB05.jpg

x23NY0930MB06.jpg

There were costumes….

x23NY0930MB07.jpg

Props

x23NY0930MB08.jpg

And even stage sets.

x23NY0930MB09.jpg

Kinky Boots? We got ‘em!

x23NY0930MB10.jpg

It was very well done. At the end there was a whole section to give you insight into the entire process from writing and composing the musical, to orchestrating it, and even working the sound, and being in the pit. There was a student group who was there and the teacher was asking them a lot of questions. It got a little congested in there, so we just cut out and figured we had seen enough. We were glad that we visited.

We still had several hours to kill, so we decided to go look for our restaurant and the theater. They were all within just a few blocks of the hotel, so we did. It was a good thing we did. The restaurant was actually below street level. It barely had any signage. If we didn’t know where we were going when got there at the time of our reservation, we might have been walking around looking all over for it.

Then we walked by the theater. A Matinee was just going into the theater.

x23NY0930TS01.jpg

After that we went back to the room. I think we walked through the Hershey’s store and Jill got some presents for her niece and nephew. They also gave us fun size samples. Perfect. Lunch. We also stopped at a Bodega and got some beverages and snacks as well. That fun size candy bar wasn’t going to be enough, but we didn’t want to spoil our appetites for dinner!

We hung out in the room for a while playing on our tablets, watching TV and talking about future plans. Eventually we both got dressed for the show. I forgot to mention, one of the perks of Jill’s Bonvoy membership was that she got a “resort credit” that we could spend on food and drinks. The night before I had used up that day’s credit by ordering a “fish bowl” of wine and taking it up to the room. Jill wasn’t interested in beverages that night so I had it all to myself.

We decided to share the credit today and went down to the bar for a glass of wine.

x23NY0930TS02.jpg

Then it was off to Butter by Alex Guarnaschelli.

x23NY0930TS03.jpg

When we first looked at the menu in July (I think), it was the summer menu, and we were like, “hmmmm….do we want to eat here?” but in August the menu changed and there were so many delicious things on there we were having a difficult time choosing what to order! We decided to split everything so we could taste more.

We finally settled on Little Gem Lettuce, Parmesan Dressing, Sourdough Croutons. For a salad, it was pretty tasty!

x23NY0930TS04.jpg

We also chose the Gnocchi “Mac n Cheese”, Melted Petit Basque, aged Cheddar. This was super yummy!

x23NY0930TS05.jpg

We split a main as well, the Filet Mignon Beef Wellington, mushroom duxelles, Port Wine Reduction. This was absolutely divine and Jill let me have all the mushrooms!

x23NY0930TS06.jpg

The dessert menu isn’t online and I didn’t take a picture so I’m making a guess at what these things were called. I know that they called these things beignets, but they were really jelly donuts.

x23NY0930TS08.jpg

Jill got this chocolate cake, it was really rich and she couldn’t finish it, so we had it packed up and we took it home.

x23NY0930TS09.jpg

We both ordered after dinner cocktails. I had an Espresso Martini and she had a Chocolate Martini.

x23NY0930TS10.jpg

We finished dinner a little earlier than we expected so we stopped by the hotel room to drop off Jill’s cake.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

Then we headed over to the James Earl Jones Theater for the show. They had this fun photo op in the lobby.

x23NY0930TS11.jpg

The program and view from our seats.

x23NY0930TS12.jpg

The stage was super simple. There was a three piece band, and underneath that sheet on the table are all the hats that will be used throughout the Musical. You see Bud and Doug our lovable misfit would-be Producers are the only stars in this show. They’re going to perform all the roles in the musical and the hats on the table will depict which character that they are playing at the time. If you zoom in, that sheet has a Star Wars pattern.

x23NY0930TS13.jpg

This picture is from the intermission when the hats have already been revealed. Now the hats themselves bring out the hilarity in this show. There are times when each of them are wearing as many as 4-5 hats at a time. The characters that they are playing change so quickly. They’ll sing a couple lines as one character, toss off the hat and immediately assume a new character. There was even a point where one of them holds a pole on his shoulders with about 10 hats attached, signifying that most all the cast are singing together. It was quite hilarious!

x23NY0930TS14.jpg

Spoiler Alert!

At the end of the musical, the guys do get their Broadway Contract. There is a plant in the audience who comes up onstage at the end of the show and presents them with a document. (Which has the words “Broadway Contract” written in the same large font as the names on their hats). Now the guys have no idea who that guest will be. Evidently the night we saw the show the guest was Nikki James.

I found this list online, and there have been some Huge stars. I know that they have no idea who the guest will be because Jill sent me a video of Josh Gad on the night that Billy Crystal was the guest.

IF NOBODY IS POSTED, THERE WAS NO GUEST!
9/15: Russell Daniels (it is him unless listed otherwise)
9/16: Cynthia Erivo
9/17: Jonathan Groff
9/21: JJ Abrams
9/23: Jesse Tyler Ferguson
9/30: Nikki James
10/01: F Murray Abraham
10/03: Annaleigh Ashford
10/10: Leslie Odom Jr.
10/11: Richard Kind
10/12: Nathan Lane
10/13: Rory O’Malley
10/14: Marcia Gay Harden
10/14: Zachary Levi
10/15: Ben Platt
10/17: Ashley Park
10/19: Lin Manuel Miranda
10/20: Steve Guttenberg
10/21: Amber Ruffin
10/21: Christian Slater
10/22: John Stamos
10/24: Josh Groban
10/25: Busy Philipps
10/26: Laura Benanti
10/27: Vanessa Williams
10/28: Christopher Sieber
10/28: Patrick Wilson
10/29: Dylan Mulvaney
10/31: Jason Alexander
11/1: Norbert Leo Butz
11/2: Kelvin Moon Loh
11/3: Kristen Bell
11/4: Laurie Metcalf
11/4: Sara Bareilles
11/5: Jessica Vosk
11/5: Betty Who
11/7: Gaten Matarazzo
11/8: Brian D’Arcy James
11/9: Steve Martin & Martin Short
11/10: Billy Crystal
11/11: Joey McIntyre
11/11: Jordan Fisher
11/12: Ethan Slater
11/12: Michael Urie
11/14: Tiffany Haddish
11/15: Sherri Shepard
11/15: Patti Lupone
11/16: Skylar Astin
11/17: Beth Leavel
11/18: Victor Garber
11/18: Debbie Gibson
11/19: Idina Menzel
11/21: Chuck Schumer
11/22: James Monroe Iglehart
11/22: Will Ferrell
11/24: Jake Gyllenhaal
11/24: Lesley Stahl
11/25: Weird Al
11/26: Westin Hicks
11/28: Kelli O’Hara
11/29: Santino Fontana
11/29: Kristin Chenoweth
11/30: Katie Couric

Here’s a link to Nathan Lane as the guest

https://playbill.com/article/watch-...kes-a-surprise-cameo-in-gutenberg-the-musical

And here is Chuck Schumer as the guest

https://www.broadwayworld.com/artic...Makes-Cameo-in-GUTENBERG-THE-MUSICAL-20231122

If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, watch this video

Suffice to say, we had a blast! The show was fantastic and we were laughing almost the entire way through it.

Even with the high of the musical, I had no problem falling asleep. Jill was searching for a place to have breakfast when I nodded off.

I ended up waking up before her, and I continued her search. This is when we realized that we are going to be great travel buddies. Neither of us were finding anything satisfactory. Sure there were plenty of places that served pancakes, waffles, omelets, etc. But both of us were really looking for something a little more unique.

Finally I said, “The only thing I’m really coming up with is this French restaurant, but it’s pretty pricey.”

“I saw that one too.” She said. “But we are in New York City, is it really that pricey?” We ended up agreeing that of all the places, this sounded like the tastiest option. So we decided to go there.

Best. Decision. Ever.

x23NY1001TD01.jpg

The place looked like it was going to be good!

x23NY1001TD02.jpg

x23NY1001TD03.jpg

Jill started with the Mimosa, and I had a cup of coffee. One thing that I did not expect, was that it was “a” cup of coffee. I was able to get one refill, but the server said that wasn’t normally something that they usually did.

x23NY1001TD04.jpg

Eventually I broke down and got a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. The bread was also fantastic!

x23NY1001TD05.jpg

I ordered a bowl of French Onion Soup. This was one of the best I’ve ever had. There was the perfect mix of bread, gooey cheese, and tasty broth. Had I been smart, this is all I should have ordered. However, it all worked out in the end.

x23NY1001TD06.jpg

Jill got an almond croissant. I’m sure it was perfect.

x23NY1001TD07.jpg

We were supposed to split this Croque Monsieur, but I was too full from my soup, so I took my half to go. I ended up eating it at the airport while we were waiting to board our plane.

x23NY1001TD08.jpg

Stuffed from our lovely breakfast, we walked back to the hotel. I think we walked through the M&Ms store, but it was just a giant overpriced commercial. We didn’t buy anything. By the time we got back to the room, it was time to check out and we didn’t see any reason to hang around anymore. Our flight left around 2PM, and it was just after 11AM, so we might as well head to the airport. We caught a Lyft and made good time.

We said goodbye at the Denver airport. We would be seeing each other again in less than 3 weeks in the DC airport to begin our epic trip to Jordan and Egypt. I went back to Vino Volo and had a glass of wine and some kind of Italian chopped salad sandwich. It had your basic italian meats and cheese with Italian dressing and such. It hit the spot.

x23NY1001TD09.jpg

My flight left basically on time and I believe that I was home by 8PM. I was happy to be staying home for the next two and a half weeks.

x23NY0929JR05.jpg
There is always room for cheesecake! I didn't love the "gel" that the strawberries were in but the cheesecake itself was amazing!
Our flight kept getting pushed back, and then forward. The text messages were coming in every 10-15 minutes, and each one would contradict the previous one. Finally we just went to our gate to wait it out. As it turns out, this was the day that New York City got hit with that major storm and flooded one of the terminals at LaGuardia and other parts of the city. We were delayed around three hours because there was a full ground stop at the airport where we were supposed to land.
I think our pilot said that Brooklyn got 7 inches of rain in an hour. I was glad we were able to wait it out in Denver and still make it! The terminal we flew into at LGA was newer and better designed to withstand flooding...Terminal 1 was the one that flooded and was the original terminal.
I think we both slept well that night. We didn’t sleep in too late despite the late night. We were already dressed and at breakfast by 9:30AM since that’s the time stamp on this photo.

x23NY0930JR01.jpg
Back to Juniors again! It was right across the street and super convenient and delicious!
ill got the Cheese Blintzes. They were such a huge portion she didn’t even have a chance of finishing all of it.

x23NY0930JR02.jpg
They were so incredibly good!
We had decided that our activity for the day would be to visit the Museum of Broadway. It had opened fairly recently and was right up the street from our hotel.

x23NY0930MB03.jpg
Highly recommend this musuem if you love Broadway. Its in an old theater and the exhibits are really well done.

x23NY0930TS03.jpg
I've been wanting to eat here forever since watching Alex on Food Network..it did not disappoint!
We were supposed to split this Croque Monsieur, but I was too full from my soup, so I took my half to go. I ended up eating it at the airport while we were waiting to board our plane.

x23NY1001TD08.jpg
This place was a real find and the food was amazing! Everything was fantastic and the building was beautiful!

Jill in CO

a super quick one that Jill and I took to be crazy!
You can read that two ways... ;)
One of the shows that I snooze to is Morning Joe. Often times they have people on there pontificating to the point that it helps me sleep.
:laughing:
“Wouldn’t it be fun to fly to NY on a Friday, see the Show Saturday and fly home Sunday?”
Holy smokes... I love it!!
and how crazy is that to fly to NY for a weekend to see a show?
::yes::
I am so stoked for this little mini-trip!
The show was called Gutenberg: The Musical. It’s about two guys who have a dream to put a musical on Broadway, but they know nothing about Broadway and nothing about Gutenberg, the inventor of the Printing Press. So they Google him, and make up the rest! How could this not be funny with these two guys behind it?
:lmao:
In hindsight, we should have paid the $50 companion fee to go to the Centurion lounge, because we ended up spending way more than that, but live and learn.
Oops. Oh well, no real harm done.
As it turns out, this was the day that New York City got hit with that major storm and flooded one of the terminals at LaGuardia and other parts of the city. We were delayed around three hours because there was a full ground stop at the airport where we were supposed to land.
:scared:
We were supposed to arrive at 8PM and in the end we got there at 11PM.
Not bad. Especially when the flight could've been cancelled altogether.
How cool is that? They even have the bat signal on.

:rolleyes1
Jill was able to score a room at the Marriott Marquis right off Times Square with her Bonvoy points. I covered the flights with the airline miles Fran left me. At this point the only costs we’d incurred were the tickets to the show and the food and drinks at the Denver Airport.
Nice. :thumbsup2
Like this fun shot. :)
We split a corned beef ruben and fries which was just perfect for the two of us…..
That sammie looks great. Piled high with corned beef... yummm...
Of course!
We were already dressed and at breakfast by 9:30AM since that’s the time stamp on this photo.
Pretty good considering your previous long day and late night.
And everything you ordered looked really good.
It was drizzling and a little chilly (for me, Jill lives in Denver).
Oh, how I get this. I can't tell you how many times I've been in Florida and seen people in winter coats while I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt.
Before the self guided tour started, we waited in a room where they had playbills for many of the current productions playing on Broadway. We thought taking a picture with the one we were planning on seeing was a good idea.
Oh! I didn't recognize their names, but I do recognize the picture of them.
As we moved from room to room, the music changed with the featured musical.
I like that. :)
Great shots of you both. :)
oooohhh... Love me some Phantom.
Kinky Boots? We got ‘em!
We still had several hours to kill, so we decided to go look for our restaurant and the theater. They were all within just a few blocks of the hotel, so we did. It was a good thing we did. The restaurant was actually below street level. It barely had any signage. If we didn’t know where we were going when got there at the time of our reservation, we might have been walking around looking all over for it.
Good call. Was it just a flight down or was it in a subway level? Or?
we walked through the Hershey’s store and Jill got some presents for her niece and nephew. They also gave us fun size samples. Perfect. Lunch.
:laughing: And nutritious too!
That menu looks so good!
there were so many delicious things on there we were having a difficult time choosing what to order!
No kidding!
I know that they called these things beignets, but they were really jelly donuts.
I wondered about that. I've always called donuts beignets in French... apparently if it doesn't have a hole, that's what it is.
Jill got this chocolate cake, it was really rich and she couldn’t finish it, so we had it packed up and we took it home.
Whoa. That looks decadent.
They had this fun photo op in the lobby.
I like it. :)
There are times when each of them are wearing as many as 4-5 hats at a time. The characters that they are playing change so quickly. They’ll sing a couple lines as one character, toss off the hat and immediately assume a new character.
There was even a point where one of them holds a pole on his shoulders with about 10 hats attached, signifying that most all the cast are singing together. It was quite hilarious!
:lmao:
Suffice to say, we had a blast! The show was fantastic and we were laughing almost the entire way through it.
Great! Glad you both had such a fun time. :)
Finally I said, “The only thing I’m really coming up with is this French restaurant, but it’s pretty pricey.”

“I saw that one too.” She said. “But we are in New York City, is it really that pricey?”
Good point.
So we decided to go there.

Best. Decision. Ever.
:goodvibes
One thing that I did not expect, was that it was “a” cup of coffee. I was able to get one refill, but the server said that wasn’t normally something that they usually did.
:snooty:
I ordered a bowl of French Onion Soup. This was one of the best I’ve ever had.
Hello! I need to remember this place now. One of the best, you say??
I went back to Vino Volo and had a glass of wine and some kind of Italian chopped salad sandwich. It had your basic italian meats and cheese with Italian dressing and such. It hit the spot.
Looks good, but guessing the Croque Monsieur was better?
My flight left basically on time and I believe that I was home by 8PM. I was happy to be staying home for the next two and a half weeks.
Whirlwind trip! Thanks for sharing. :)
I think our pilot said that Brooklyn got 7 inches of rain in an hour.
:eek: No wonder there was flooding!
This place was a real find and the food was amazing! Everything was fantastic and the building was beautiful!
Yep. Definitely have to put this on my list. ::yes::

There is always room for cheesecake! I didn't love the "gel" that the strawberries were in but the cheesecake itself was amazing!
Yeah, when I was proofing the update, I was looking at the gel and thinking, that wasn't so great. But the cheesecake itself was!
I think our pilot said that Brooklyn got 7 inches of rain in an hour. I was glad we were able to wait it out in Denver and still make it! The terminal we flew into at LGA was newer and better designed to withstand flooding...Terminal 1 was the one that flooded and was the original terminal.
Yeah, I forgot he said that. I remember you reading online about Terminal 1 flooding and being evacuated.
Back to Juniors again! It was right across the street and super convenient and delicious!
Juniors was super good choice!
They were so incredibly good!
Highly recommend this musuem if you love Broadway. Its in an old theater and the exhibits are really well done.
::yes:: :thumbsup2
I've been wanting to eat here forever since watching Alex on Food Network..it did not disappoint!

I'd always heard about it when they would introduce her on the various shows, but I never thought I'd be able to go there. When I saw it on the google map and how near the theater it was, it dawned on me that this was actually something that was possible. I'm still coming to terms with what is now possible....

If we were in the neighborhood again, I would eat there in a heartbeat. I would love to try it for dinner or late lunch.

And I caught this one of Redd. I think Allyson and her daughter were taking pictures with her.

x23DL0826DLR03.jpg
We were indeed, Makenna really liked her
The show was Tangled and it was a lot of fun.

x23DL0826DLR06.jpg
She loved both of these shows a lot!

Your parade pictures came out super clear with great colours!

Now I can’t believe I didn’t get one picture of Makenna today. She looked dazzling in her Princess Tiana outfit and when Tiana saw Makenna, she gave her a big smile and a wave

Shame about missing the photo, but really great about the interaction with Tiana. :)
I will send you a couple for a little interlude for those paying attention
Until I hear otherwise, I'm not gonna believe a word of this!
hehe...Rogers was great!

Foreshadowing!!
Remember when we cooked our own dinners at Shabu Shabu in August
I still need to try one of these places
We went to the Melting Pot near her house
I laughed when you told me this, having another fondue planned!

I went with the Caesar salad.

x23PBA0830DVR03.jpg
I quite like ceasar salad actually
We chose the S’mores which was chocolate and marshmallow with graham cracker crumbs sprinkled on top.

x23PBA0830DVR05.jpg
yummm!!

these desserts look just fantastic!

I love your splash of colour!

I got two kinds of Eggs Benedict with their special hash browns. I think one was traditional and the second one was Italian style with Prosciutto instead of ham.

x23PBA0904DVR05.jpg
yummm! Was the hashbrown thing good? apologies if I didn't read that part
Jill got the breakfast sandwich with scrambled egg and sausage on a pretzel bun.

x23PBA0904DVR07.jpg
this looks super also!
First we watched Lawrence of Arabia
One of Dorian's favs!

I'll be back for more fun soon!

You can read that two ways... ;)
Ok, I only see one.....are either of the DIS friendly? :lmao:
Holy smokes... I love it!!
Crazy things that people half our age do!
Oops. Oh well, no real harm done.
It's only money.
Not bad. Especially when the flight could've been cancelled altogether.
Yeah we were pretty worried. Mostly about the hundreds of dollars in theater tickets we would lose.
How cool is that? They even have the bat signal on.

:rolleyes1
:rotfl2:
Like this fun shot. :)
He was a fun bartender!
That sammie looks great. Piled high with corned beef... yummm...
So good! But then about a month ago I had an even better one at Canter's Deli in LA.
Pretty good considering your previous long day and late night.
And everything you ordered looked really good.
I think we were running on adrenaline.
Oh, how I get this. I can't tell you how many times I've been in Florida and seen people in winter coats while I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt.
Yeah, last weekend I was hanging around with two ladies from Seattle, a Canadian, and Jill. The Seattle ladies were in shorts, Allyson was in a Tank Top, and I was wearing a denim dress with long sleeves.
Oh! I didn't recognize their names, but I do recognize the picture of them.
And one of them was the voice of Olaf.
Great shots of you both. :)
Thanks! :thumbsup2
oooohhh... Love me some Phantom.
I'm glad someone recognized the costumes!
Good call. Was it just a flight down or was it in a subway level? Or?
There were glass doors on the street level and then a staircase that went down one long flight. That's where the reception desk was located. We may have gone down some more steps to get to the dining area.
That menu looks so good!
It was fantastic!
I wondered about that. I've always called donuts beignets in French... apparently if it doesn't have a hole, that's what it is.
Huh. Interesting. They were just like jelly donuts I get at the donut store.
Whoa. That looks decadent.
I'm pretty sure that's why she had to take a lot of it home.
Great! Glad you both had such a fun time. :)
We did! I would do something like that again if it were show I would enjoy as much. We do have a longer trip on the horizon which will include lots of Broadway shows. However, 2024 and 2025 are already basically planned....
Hello! I need to remember this place now. One of the best, you say??
Totally one of the best. The ratio of cheese, to bread, to soup, to onions, was absolutely perfect.
Looks good, but guessing the Croque Monsieur was better?
Yes, definitely, but this hit the spot. And I was able to eat the whole thing as opposed to most places where I can only eat half.
Whirlwind trip! Thanks for sharing. :)
:thumbsup2
Yep. Definitely have to put this on my list. ::yes::

We were indeed, Makenna really liked her

Makenna2.jpg

She loved both of these shows a lot!

I really liked the one that we saw.

Your parade pictures came out super clear with great colours!

My phone really does take some great pictures!

I will send you a couple for a little interlude for those paying attention

Makenna1.jpg

Makenna3.jpg

Makenna4.jpg

Makenna5.jpg

Foreshadowing!!

Of? :confused3

I still need to try one of these places

I've got some here for when you come again....so good! I need another Shabu fix! The last time was about a week or two before Egypt.

I laughed when you told me this, having another fondue planned!

You can never have too much fondue....in fact I should put cheese fondue on my upcoming menu....although I've already got it planned through the first weekend in January.

I quite like ceasar salad actually

I do too! I should make it for myself!

yummm!!

these desserts look just fantastic!

D Bar is known for their desserts, and you can go wrong with Chocolate Fondue.

I love your splash of colour!

Thanks! You'll see it in the other TR too....when you get there.....

yummm! Was the hashbrown thing good? apologies if I didn't read that part

It was OK. Certainly tasty, but the bennies were the main thing for me that day. I was feeling eggy that day.

this looks super also!

Jill really likes that sammie!

One of Dorian's favs!

It took me a while to actually figure out the plot etc...but the scenery was fabulous.

I'll be back for more fun soon!

I'll be posting more Disney soon!

Ok, I only see one.....are either of the DIS friendly? :lmao:
Hmmm... then there are three ways... :laughing:
Crazy things that people half our age do!
You're as young as you want to be. :)
Yeah we were pretty worried. Mostly about the hundreds of dollars in theater tickets we would lose.
:scared:
So good! But then about a month ago I had an even better one at Canter's Deli in LA.
Whelp... just one more place I need to go to!
Yeah, last weekend I was hanging around with two ladies from Seattle, a Canadian, and Jill. The Seattle ladies were in shorts, Allyson was in a Tank Top, and I was wearing a denim dress with long sleeves.
We did! I would do something like that again if it were show I would enjoy as much. We do have a longer trip on the horizon which will include lots of Broadway shows. However, 2024 and 2025 are already basically planned....
You are one busy lady!

Good for you.
Totally one of the best. The ratio of cheese, to bread, to soup, to onions, was absolutely perfect.
:cloud9:
Great shot!
That pic... That right there is why I love Disney. Look at her! :goodvibes

Yum, these look so good, although I'm big fan overall of "meat on a stick"
Were those these?

x23PBA0901DVR03.jpg
these look tasty with an intriguing sauce!
The peaches look very cooked/sweet and syrup-y?
And I had a sake while Jill sipped a Grüner Veltliner

x23PBA0901DVR09.jpg
I actually haven't drank that much sake to be honest, but we don't eat much Japanese food
the trip to Egypt which really turned out to be a bargain for what we paid.
total bargain!
I figured it was the little bottles of vodka that I had packed. You know, just in case….but nope. I completely forgot that a 12oz bottle of conditioner can’t pass through normal security. TSA PreCheck, sure. But we’re not in Kansas anymore.
yup, nothing like the 3 hour plane ride not being an issue, but cross the border with it- no siree!
She’s a good kid, she’s just a lot. She has imaginary friends that she talks to, didn’t we all? And she was really happy when Allyson let her watch YouTube on the TV in the basement more than normal.
She's such a different character than Maria, she is def creative, strong willed and intelligent...

Everyone likes this meal I usually find, the noddles soften a bit, but aren't too limp
And then she fixed us up this strawberry shortcake as well!

x23V0913KAM02.jpg
bought cake, but I did make the whip cream
It was actually a bakery where we picked up some pastries both sweet and savory.
I'm really glad we stopped there, they had nice stuff!

But it was mostly small pours, so we really didn’t get buzzed. I believe that this was a gin.
Let me tell you, you and I got wayyy more pours than D and I got! The gal we had really stuck to the 3 samples or whatever it was!
On the way we saw this unusual sign.

x23V0914KAM05.jpg

I'm still shocked we saw one!

We had an awesome view!

x23V0914KAM10.jpg
Sure did! I was very pleased with the view, although I suspect there isn't a bad one
We had such perfect weather, it was nice to eat outside.
We ate inside for dinner service when we went in Nov, that was nice as well, I will say.
If I remember correctly, I especially liked this salad and ate most of it on you!
They were served with mashed potatoes and gravy, and were fantastic!

This was a great dish, although I think the meatballs look a bit small here, they were a good size and I think you only ate one and a bit maybe?
it was time to head down and take advantage of the pools, showers, saunas, and steam rooms.
Here we are in the outside infinity pool.
We had such a nice time outside, the weather so nice, although I've been there when it was snowing and raining and it is still nice, but I do love the sunny view the best
We spent about three hours in the pools and then checking out all the different saunas and steam rooms before we went up to the room to watch the sunset and enjoy some of the wine we had purchased earlier.
I think that actually we didn't make it in to 1-2 of the rooms as wel!

yum, this pic makes it look super delicious indeed!
They started off with a plate of fruit and some muffins for the table.
I believe D and I got a pumpkin bread instead of the chocolate muffins.
I got this in Nov one of the mornings and did the same thing- got the meat on the side, but I did half bacon, half sausage and got like 3/4 of each, took most of it home!

Not here. We went right to the source! Here’s a couple bottles we are tasting.

x23V0916KAM02.jpg
Tasting with w a view! Nex time more wineries :) :thumbsup2
We ended up purchasing a half a case of wine if not more. In Kamloops you can borrow glasses from the winery and just sit out on their patio enjoying the wines you have just purchased.

x23V0916KAM03.jpg
I feel like there was a deal or something that if bought half a case, it was 15% off or something. so
Now she doesn’t take Fondue lightly. She has an entire “box” for fondue.
Sure don't, I love doing it!
Mmmm beer and cheddar cheese fondue, ummmm!
We had chicken, beef, pork, tortellini, potatoes and all the vegetables leftover from the cheese as well!

x23V0916KAM05.jpg
I usually have prawns, but I think I forgot to buy them

Apparently I changed topics completely on my quoting:
his (or her) soak.

x23V0917KAM01.jpg
the 2 grizzlies are both males
one of the Bison (I think).

x23V0917KAM04.jpg
I believe you are correct!
In addition to the chocolate Fondue Allyson made this other Yogurt/Candy Bar based dip as well.
Did you like it? I can't remember now
She works very long days, and has a fairly long drive to work and back.
Not as bad as it used to be, that's for sure, still long days, but thankfully not the crazy crazy long drive anymore

is a super quick one that Jill and I took to be crazy!
This trip was awesome, such a crazy but awesome idea!
e ordered a Lyft and went to meet our driver at the pick up location. He was a pretty good driver and even pointed out some sights on the way to our hotel. Here is the empire state building from the ground.

x23NY0929JR01_5npZKbmDF3uFhFCUuxnuj3.jpg
Cool angle!
Looks nice!
This guy was our server and bartender. He did his best at my Martini. They didn’t have any onions, so a twist of lemon was going to have to do!

x23NY0929JR03.jpg
nice sized pour!

x23NY0929JR04.jpg
that looks so yummy, but what is in the bowl?

x23NY0929JR05.jpg
how was the topping? my grandma used to make a pie that was like that topping! maybe I will make it for xmas, hmmm
ill got the Cheese Blintzes. They were such a huge portion she didn’t even have a chance of finishing all of it.

x23NY0930JR02.jpg
I remember looking these up to see what they are!
stop at the Disney Store, but didn’t purchase anything.

x23NY0930MB02.jpg
New York Mickey!!

x23NY0930MB05.jpg
these are fun sets! Well hey there!
Higher Jill!
Great show! I either saw this in London or NY, can't seem to remember right now, but I think it was London

It was very well done. At the end there was a whole section to give you insight into the entire process from writing and composing the musical, to orchestrating it, and even working the sound, and being in the pit. There was a student group who was there and the teacher was asking them a lot of questions. It got a little congested in there, so we just cut out and figured we had seen enough. We were glad that we visited.
Sounds very well done, Dorian has never been to NY, so it's on our list and he'd really like this as well
The night before I had used up that day’s credit by ordering a “fish bowl” of wine and taking it up to the room.
I always like how you roll 👌with wine
For a salad, it was pretty tasty!

x23NY0930TS04.jpg
ceasar?
We also chose the Gnocchi “Mac n Cheese”, Melted Petit Basque, aged Cheddar. This was super yummy!

x23NY0930TS05.jpg
man this sounds good! I quite like gnocchi
We split a main as well, the Filet Mignon Beef Wellington, mushroom duxelles, Port Wine Reduction. This was absolutely divine and Jill let me have all the mushrooms!

x23NY0930TS06.jpg
that looks great, rich!
ill got this chocolate cake, it was really rich and she couldn’t finish it, so we had it packed up and we took it home.

x23NY0930TS09.jpg
I love cakes like this, but they are SO filling!
We both ordered after dinner cocktails. I had an Espresso Martini and she had a Chocolate Martini.

x23NY0930TS10.jpg
I'll take both please!

What a yummy meal, I love all your choices!

Hmmm... then there are three ways... :laughing:
curiouser and curiouser
You're as young as you want to be. :)
My body tells me otherwise! :laughing:
Whelp... just one more place I need to go to!
I added it to "the list!" You better come hungry, there's lotsa good eating on that list.
You are one busy lady!

Good for you.

Trying to be, making up for lost time.
That pic... That right there is why I love Disney. Look at her! :goodvibes

She was dumbstruck like that the entire weekend.

Yum, these look so good, although I'm big fan overall of "meat on a stick"
Yeah, me too actually.
these look tasty with an intriguing sauce!
I can verify that they were in fact tasty. Everything we had that night was!
The peaches look very cooked/sweet and syrup-y?
I don't remember. The dessert was just all around good.
I actually haven't drank that much sake to be honest, but we don't eat much Japanese food
Japanese is one of my favorite international cuisines. I love shabu shabu, sushi, teppan, and just tempura and teriyaki.
yup, nothing like the 3 hour plane ride not being an issue, but cross the border with it- no siree!
:sad2:
She's such a different character than Maria, she is def creative, strong willed and intelligent...
And a little mischievous. She has that look in her eyes sometimes.
Everyone likes this meal I usually find, the noddles soften a bit, but aren't too limp
I'd never had it with noodles that way and it was surprisingly good! I always add the crispy noodles after cooking. Never thought to do it in the pan.
bought cake, but I did make the whip cream
Still counts!
I'm really glad we stopped there, they had nice stuff!
Very tasty. And it was good to have the sausage roll for some protein.
Let me tell you, you and I got wayyy more pours than D and I got! The gal we had really stuck to the 3 samples or whatever it was!
Well, two gals with a guy pouring....
I'm still shocked we saw one!
Now I understand when you posted before "foreshadowing". I posted the turtle pic when I was having trouble with images on my TRs. I figured it was a good innocuous photo that wouldn't give anything away and when it showed up I'd know that I could post images again.
Sure did! I was very pleased with the view, although I suspect there isn't a bad one
No, it's a beautiful place.
We had such perfect weather, it was nice to eat outside.
We ate inside for dinner service when we went in Nov, that was nice as well, I will say.
I would think both inside and outside are both equally fun.
If I remember correctly, I especially liked this salad and ate most of it on you!
Yes, you did eat a bit of it, but that was OK, I really liked the meatballs and wanted to eat as much of them as I could!
This was a great dish, although I think the meatballs look a bit small here, they were a good size and I think you only ate one and a bit maybe?
I ate 1 1/2, just like I do with about all my restaurant meals. I can eat about half of what I'm served.
We had such a nice time outside, the weather so nice, although I've been there when it was snowing and raining and it is still nice, but I do love the sunny view the best
I've been in hot tubs when it's snowing (rarely), but it's a nice feeling. I can see this being similar.
I think that actually we didn't make it in to 1-2 of the rooms as wel!
I know we purposely skipped the Rose room, but there was another we didn't get to as well.
yum, this pic makes it look super delicious indeed!
It was super delicious! I'm glad that I have it coming up on the dinner menu in a couple weeks.
I believe D and I got a pumpkin bread instead of the chocolate muffins.
I would not have been pleased with that change.
I got this in Nov one of the mornings and did the same thing- got the meat on the side, but I did half bacon, half sausage and got like 3/4 of each, took most of it home!
Such a big portion!
Tasting with w a view! Nex time more wineries :) :thumbsup2
I'm up for that!
I feel like there was a deal or something that if bought half a case, it was 15% off or something. so
Yeah that is ringing a bell. I know that we were aiming for purchasing a half case.
Sure don't, I love doing it!
And you do a great job!
Mmmm beer and cheddar cheese fondue, ummmm!
I only do cheese fondues, and I think one needs to go on the menu for sometime soon.
I usually have prawns, but I think I forgot to buy them
We had plenty to dip!
the 2 grizzlies are both males
Thanks for that clarification!
Did you like it? I can't remember now
I did like it, but with my limited appetite, I preferred to concentrate on the chocolate one because it was delicious!
Not as bad as it used to be, that's for sure, still long days, but thankfully not the crazy crazy long drive anymore
Well, I'm glad it's better. I'm always surprised when you tell me, "I just got home."
This trip was awesome, such a crazy but awesome idea!
It was super fun and I wasn't even jet lagged afterwards.
nice sized pour!
He did great!
that looks so yummy, but what is in the bowl?
That's the Russian Dressing for the sandwich. Rather than slather it on and make it super messy, you could dip the sandwich. Jill didn't want much/any, so it was all mine.
how was the topping? my grandma used to make a pie that was like that topping! maybe I will make it for xmas, hmmm
The topping was kind of gross. Neither of us really liked it.
I remember looking these up to see what they are!
They're an East coast thing, or very much a deli thing.
New York Mickey!!
Ummm.....that's Minnie..... :laughing:
these are fun sets! Well hey there!
Higher Jill!
Great show! I either saw this in London or NY, can't seem to remember right now, but I think it was London
Nice! I saw it at the Pantages in LA
Sounds very well done, Dorian has never been to NY, so it's on our list and he'd really like this as well
You think your Canadian dollar is stretched at Disneyland? Even more so in NY!
I always like how you roll 👌with wine
They called it a "Little Gem Lettuce with Parmesan Dressing" but it was very similar to a Caesar in taste.
man this sounds good! I quite like gnocchi
I love gnocchi. I need to put them on the dinner rotation!
that looks great, rich!
It was super good!
I love cakes like this, but they are SO filling!
Yes, very dense.
I'll take both please!

What a yummy meal, I love all your choices!

It was so good! Jill and I definitely have good taste!

So a few days after I returned home from Egypt, I had a reservation with my friend from the vet to visit Disney. I knew that I would be dying to get back. The day that we were there just happened to be the day before the new Swiss Family Treehouse opened up, and they were doing Magic Key Passholder previews. We went to the correct spot and picked up a wristband. It wasn’t long before our time came up, so here we go!

x23DL1109DLR01.jpg

These are the living quarters on the ground floor.

x23DL1109DLR02.jpg

x23DL1109DLR03.jpg

x23DL1109DLR04.jpg

x23DL1109DLR05.jpg

This mesh rope is all over the place and it’s a pain to get good pictures through it!

x23DL1109DLR06.jpg

Say Hello to Jane…..

x23DL1109DLR07.jpg

And then we begin to ascend the stairs.

x23DL1109DLR08.jpg

x23DL1109DLR09.jpg

x23DL1109DLR10.jpg

x23DL1109DLR11.jpg

x23DL1109DLR12.jpg

x23DL1109DLR13.jpg

x23DL1109DLR14.jpg

This is the boys’ room.

x23DL1109DLR15.jpg

x23DL1109DLR16.jpg

x23DL1109DLR17.jpg

x23DL1109DLR18.jpg

x23DL1109DLR19.jpg

Because this treehouse is based on Walt Disney’s Swiss Family Robinson, there is a girl who comes into the family. This is her room. She is an animal lover.

x23DL1109DLR20.jpg

x23DL1109DLR21.jpg

There was a beautiful sunset as we were finishing our visit to the Treehouse.

x23DL1109DLR22.jpg

x23DL1109DLR23.jpg

x23DL1109DLR24.jpg

x23DL1109DLR25.jpg

x23DL1109DLR26.jpg

x23DL1109DLR27.jpg

x23DL1109DLR28.jpg

I can’t help but think with all the time, money, and effort that they put into this attraction that they must be working on a remake of the movie.

x23DL1109DLR29.jpg

While the Christmas season hadn’t officially opened at Disney. Halloween had ended, so the Christmas decorations were starting to appear. The Christmas tree was already up in all of it’s beauty.

x23DL1109DLR30.jpg

x23DL1109DLR31.jpg

x23DL1109DLR32.jpg

Next up: The Merriest Little Christmas!

Popping in to quickly say you are right, Disney is planning on a Disney+ remake of the Swiss Family Robinson. Hoping it does the story justice!

They did a really nice job with the Treehouse....they should have since it took so long! The entrance sign was carved by Raymond Kinman that did the sign for Indy, Hungry Bears, and more!

Jill in CO

Well I just heard on the news that for the second year in a row, the population of California has declined......
So there's room for one more, then.
The day that we were there just happened to be the day before the new Swiss Family Treehouse opened up,
You'll have to refresh my memory... was there one there before? I know there's one in MK, but...
This mesh rope is all over the place and it’s a pain to get good pictures through it!
But you did get some really good ones through the mesh on wide-angle. :thumbsup2
Say Hello to Jane…..
Jane???
Wrong movie. Was she visiting from afar?
Because this treehouse is based on Walt Disney’s Swiss Family Robinson, there is a girl who comes into the family. This is her room. She is an animal lover.
I remember that two of the boys had a bit of a crush on her and one got a bit angry when the other was chosen.
There was a beautiful sunset as we were finishing our visit to the Treehouse.
Gorgeous colours!
I can’t help but think with all the time, money, and effort that they put into this attraction that they must be working on a remake of the movie.
Hmmm... I wouldn't mind seeing that. I enjoyed the 1960 movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter