• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The we loooooove Bonnet Creek thread part2

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCN6774.jpg

DSCN6775.jpg

DSCN6776.jpg

DSCN6777.jpg

DSCN6778.jpg

DSCN6779.jpg

DSCN6780.jpg

DSCN6781.jpg

DSCN6782.jpg

DSCN6783.jpg

DSCN6784.jpg

DSCN6785.jpg

I hope the pictures i took of the information about the new restaurants and spa come in handy.

Great info. It's nice to see that there are more options to choose from at the resort.

I noticed that the sheet didn't have a lot of information for the new pool bar or the coffee bar in the lobby of the hotel.

The Pool Bar has more of the same typical pub type foods. The most interesting thing I noticed was the infamous "Krispy Kreme Burger".... basically, a burger with a Krispy kreme donut cut in half used as the bun.

The Coffee Bar sells various pastries, Starbucks Coffee (and Fraps), smoothies, etc. I also noticed they had some ice cream over on one side, so i'm assuming they sell the ice cream too.

Hi everyone!

I have stayed twice at Bonnet Creek now, Jan 2011 and May 2011 and both time had nice stays in Tower 5.

I apologize in advance for this question as it is quite an uncomfortable topic.

I was reading Tripadvisor reviews and see that a couple of them mention seeing cockroaches. I also see that a poster near the beginning of this Part 2 thread saw a cockroach.

Has anyone else seen cockroaches?

Normally I would not pay much attention to negative reviews on Tripadvisor, but seeing the post in this thread makes the claim a bit more believable.

Also, during my May 2011 stay I do remember the room being quite dusty and in need of a full cleaning

Please let me know your thoughts and I am very close to booking Bonnet Creek for my December vacation but now am thinking twice!

Sorry again for the icky topic!!

Hi everyone!

I have stayed twice at Bonnet Creek now, Jan 2011 and May 2011 and both time had nice stays in Tower 5.

I apologize in advance for this question as it is quite an uncomfortable topic.

I was reading Tripadvisor reviews and see that a couple of them mention seeing cockroaches. I also see that a poster near the beginning of this Part 2 thread saw a cockroach.

Has anyone else seen cockroaches?

Normally I would not pay much attention to negative reviews on Tripadvisor, but seeing the post in this thread makes the claim a bit more believable.

Also, during my May 2011 stay I do remember the room being quite dusty and in need of a full cleaning

Please let me know your thoughts and I am very close to booking Bonnet Creek for my December vacation but now am thinking twice!

Sorry again for the icky topic!!

I've now stayed there 4 times.... once in 2009 and 3 seperate week long trips this year. I have never seen a cockroach in my room/building.

That being said.... I wouldn't doubt the possibility of someone seeing them. It is a big resort, some people are just NASTY, especcially when staying in a hotel/resort.... and roaches are very resilient creatures. Therefore, I'd think it would be virtually impossible to keep them out of the place 100% of the time.

Overall the resort is very clean, and they are refurbing some of the original buildings, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not saying that people who have claimed to see cockroaches didn't.....but a few years bacK I stayed at Wyndham Cypress Palms. I was putting stuff away and I saw what I swore was a cockroach. Well me and bugs do not get along so I screamed at the top of my lungs and rannnnnnnn. We called maintenance and they came almost right away. Turns out what I saw was a plametto bug... very common in Florida. To me they look like a cockroaches twin, so Im just saying maybe, just maybe thats what they saw. :confused3

I've now stayed there 4 times.... once in 2009 and 3 seperate week long trips this year. I have never seen a cockroach in my room/building.

That being said.... I wouldn't doubt the possibility of someone seeing them. It is a big resort, some people are just NASTY, especcially when staying in a hotel/resort.... and roaches are very resilient creatures. Therefore, I'd think it would be virtually impossible to keep them out of the place 100% of the time.

Overall the resort is very clean, and they are refurbing some of the original buildings, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not saying that people who have claimed to see cockroaches didn't.....but a few years bacK I stayed at Wyndham Cypress Palms. I was putting stuff away and I saw what I swore was a cockroach. Well me and bugs do not get along so I screamed at the top of my lungs and rannnnnnnn. We called maintenance and they came almost right away. Turns out what I saw was a plametto bug... very common in Florida. To me they look like a cockroaches twin, so Im just saying maybe, just maybe thats what they saw. :confused3

Thank you both for your speedy feedback!

MsCoz2000, I think that a palmetto bug is a type of cockroach, a really big one. We had one in a vacation home and I had the exact same reaction as you. I SCREAMED and ran. Poor DH had to deal with it.

My mother is The Queen of Clean, and when we lived in North Carolina, we had cockroaches. Not like you get them on Military bases (where they'll spray one apartment and the cockroaches just migrate to the next :rolleyes: ), and not as a regular thing, but we'd see one once in a great while. To completely and permanently eliminate them on a long-term basis you have to seal the place almost to an unhealthy degree, and also keep the moisture down -- but since condensation on the pipes is sufficient moisture for them, that's tough to do in the American South.

So most people (and most businesses) rely on general cleanliness supplemented by poisons. It's an on-going battle. Every Florida resort I've read up on (including Disney's), that has a fair number of reviews, there are cockroach reports. So the mention of the occasional cockroach, or even a couple of dead cockroaches (likely meaning they're spraying - cockroaches eat their dead, so I would guess that in a thriving colony you're less likely to find dead ones hanging around), doesn't get me wound up.

Personally, I'm more worried by your report of a dusty room in need of a good cleaning. :rolleyes:

Completely OT: Cockroach robots! (The robots are kind of interesting to look at; the cockroaches hanging out with them, not so much...)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16328789

I was also concerned when reading the TripAdvisor reviews. We just got back, after staying in Tower 5 (6th floor) for 6 nights and happily, I didn't see any bugs.

But I was worried, too. After all, there are alot of people coming and going..

The room was very clean. There was some fraying on a lampshade, a couple of scuff marks on the walls and the spare blanket wasn't the cleanest.

Those would be my only complaints, oh, we did unplug our phone because we got many calls from the timeshare folks. I warned my husband and kids not to answer the phone.

I have an irrational phobia of "those bugs" (I can't even type the name without panicking). My husband knows this. One night of our 7 night stay we were watching TV and my husband goes.. "Was that..." and then stopped himself. I asked what. He said nothing and not to ask anymore questions, so I didn't, but I think he saw one. I never did though!

I have an irrational phobia of "those bugs" (I can't even type the name without panicking). My husband knows this. One night of our 7 night stay we were watching TV and my husband goes.. "Was that..." and then stopped himself. I asked what. He said nothing and not to ask anymore questions, so I didn't, but I think he saw one. I never did though!

Thanks for your post, I feel a little better that I am not the only one with the irrational phobia!

Which building were you in?

I actually asked my husband to type into google on his computer the resort name plus "those bugs" (writing it like this for your sake lol) because I was too scared of seeing a picture of one come up in the google results!

So I feel a little bit less silly now.

Sorry to everyone again for asking the question, I know this is an icky topic.

Thank you both for your speedy feedback!

MsCoz2000, I think that a palmetto bug is a type of cockroach, a really big one. We had one in a vacation home and I had the exact same reaction as you. I SCREAMED and ran. Poor DH had to deal with it.
Yes. A palmetto bug is an improved model of cockroach -- great big, honkin' ugly thing...that FLIES!

However, because it's a flying bug, it is NOT an indicator of uncleanliness -- just a reminder that you're in Florida.

They are everywhere in Florida -- as are many species of lizards and frogs. An individual palmetto bug probably just flew in from somewhere, and that's all you'll usually see. They come into our garage all the time and we see them occasionally on the pool deck, but not usually in the house. OTOH, if you see a bunch of small cockroaches that don't fly (German roaches), that is a sign of untidyness.

Any time you're around natural surroundings (which is almost all the time in Florida -- even here in Miami), you are going to encounter critters. We live in a densly populated, heavily developed section of Miami, but we see squirrels, possums, dozens of species of birds, occasional racoons or foxes, and yes even snakes sometimes.

Palmetto bugs are like lovebugs. They're an acquired taste, ugly, not particularly beneficial to humans, but harmless.

Our favorite insects are dragonflies -- which probably also scare visitors -- because they EAT mosquitos.

Relax and enjoy your vacation!

I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers?

We have always tried to stay on site (mostly for the free dining). But we want to go to Disney in December this year and we missed the free dining window. We're on a pretty tight budget so we thought we couldn't go this year, until i saw this forum. I must say it really peaks my interest. We are a family of 5 (3 grown children) so we would have to get 2 rooms on site or go for a more expensive option onsite that holds 5.

So I was looking at Farrells on ebay and I saw that they had November for 99 for a 2 bedroom suite. I was wondering if it would be safe to assume we'd see the same thing for December soon.

I also saw for Farrells on ebay starting dec 11 for 5 nights for 475 for a 2 bedroom. We can't be there until late on the 12th due to son's college. Can we purchase it and are they flexible about adjusting the dates? Also can you check in very late (like 11 pm?)

Thanks for all your help!!

Yes. A palmetto bug is an improved model of cockroach -- great big, honkin' ugly thing...that FLIES!

However, because it's a flying bug, it is NOT an indicator of uncleanliness -- just a reminder that you're in Florida.

They are everywhere in Florida -- as are many species of lizards and frogs. An individual palmetto bug probably just flew in from somewhere, and that's all you'll usually see. They come into our garage all the time and we see them occasionally on the pool deck, but not usually in the house. OTOH, if you see a bunch of small cockroaches that don't fly (German roaches), that is a sign of untidyness.

Any time you're around natural surroundings (which is almost all the time in Florida -- even here in Miami), you are going to encounter critters. We live in a densly populated, heavily developed section of Miami, but we see squirrels, possums, dozens of species of birds, occasional racoons or foxes, and yes even snakes sometimes.

Palmetto bugs are like lovebugs. They're an acquired taste, ugly, not particularly beneficial to humans, but harmless.

Our favorite insects are dragonflies -- which probably also scare visitors -- because they EAT mosquitos.

Relax and enjoy your vacation!

Thank you very much for your post, I found it to be very informative!!

Now only if my irrational cockroach fear would listen...lol. I will try to remember to relax - thanks!

We have always tried to stay on site (mostly for the free dining). But we want to go to Disney in December this year and we missed the free dining window. We're on a pretty tight budget so we thought we couldn't go this year, until i saw this forum. I must say it really peaks my interest. We are a family of 5 (3 grown children) so we would have to get 2 rooms on site or go for a more expensive option onsite that holds 5.

So I was looking at Farrells on ebay and I saw that they had November for 99 for a 2 bedroom suite. I was wondering if it would be safe to assume we'd see the same thing for December soon.

I also saw for Farrells on ebay starting dec 11 for 5 nights for 475 for a 2 bedroom. We can't be there until late on the 12th due to son's college. Can we purchase it and are they flexible about adjusting the dates? Also can you check in very late (like 11 pm?)

Contact the seller. He has been renting reservations for years on ebay and I'm sure will work with you.

Do you get the timeshare spiels when you book through the owner directly?

Just back from a trip 11/12 to 11/19. We arrived at 4pm and our room was ready in tower 4. Furniture was in bad shape. I circled the lowest income on the parking pass sheet, and after they saw that I was handed a few pieces of paper, the spa prices, directions to Target and Walmart, and bus schedule and we were on our way.

One annoyance was the internet was having serious problems. The DHCP server was unreachable Saturday night and for most of Sunday. DNS wasn't working off and on, I had to change the settings to google DNS to get out. Internet went down a few more times, but was back later. The phone system was also behaving odd. Out of curiosity I left my router open for awhile and had 9 people connect within a few hours. Then I locked it down as the DL speed is only 4 Mbps.

One weird thing is we had 3 messages, yet the phone system wasn't able to ever dial voicemail. Oh well. At noon our phone became an intercom, with someone from guest services shouting, "are you there". The fact that they can just broadcast into your room is annoying. A few stern words to leave us alone stopped the calls. If you put in a do not disturb request through the phone it rebooted. Also if you try to use a router direct, bypassing the phone's internet connection, I was denied a connection due to vlan issues.

Sorry if that sounds technical, but for those who understand it may help you debug problems in the future.

Contact Farrell directly. We just got back and booked with him for 11/8-14 (a Tuesday to Monday). Not your typical timeshare week. He was able to do it no problem -- he broke it up into two reservations 8-11 and 11 -14 to coincide with typical check in dates. Very easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter