• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Upcoming College Football Season

AlohaNow

DIS Veteran
Where are my people at? What do you think will happen with the upcoming D1 season? It will be weird no matter what they decide. I have read that some schools are looking at only allowing season ticket holders to attend games. No student cheering sections, no bands. The Notre Dame / Navy game has been moved from Dublin to Annapolis. Notre Dame playing in a stadium that only seats 34,000? I would call that “unprecedented times”. The most valuable asset to any D1 athletic department is their TV contracts. I am sure that games will be played and aired, perhaps with game-like sounds piped in like Premier League Soccer had over the weekend. What are your thoughts? 🏈

I don't know but I am anxiously awaiting details- our son will be a freshman playing D1 ball this year- what a year to head to college and join a college team! Weird for sure and hoping we get to see him play some!

I am preparing myself for battle with the LSU ticket office. They have 5k of our money and I know they are not going to make it easy to get it back. They wouldn’t extend the deadline to buy, which happened to be the same week everything closed down here. First time it’s been that early, too. We pay a hefty donation to the athletic fund in order to buy the tickets. I doubt we will get it back, since they probably spent it already.

We are packed in like sardines in Tiger Stadium. I just don’t know how they can do it.

I am preparing myself for battle with the LSU ticket office. They have 5k of our money and I know they are not going to make it easy to get it back. They wouldn’t extend the deadline to buy, which happened to be the same week everything closed down here. First time it’s been that early, too. We pay a hefty donation to the athletic fund in order to buy the tickets. I doubt we will get it back, since they probably spent it already.

We are packed in like sardines in Tiger Stadium. I just don’t know how they can do it.
Great football program, tho!

Same here. For baseball, they returned the money each game week at a time. And now with players testing positive too, I just don’t see how they do it.

I'm on pins and needles. I have a son that plays D1 college football also, so he is back on his campus now with his teammates. I am also a long time season ticket holder for U of Illinois. Have an RV and like to tailgate. Not sure that will happen. Have also spent a lot of money on my Illini season tickets and extra tickets for some of my son's games. Hoping not to get any refunds. Also have no inside information. :(

I’m a Boilermaker season ticket holder. They recently announced 25% attendance for home football games. That’s around 15,000 people. There are currently about twice that number of season ticket holders for the 2020 season. And they’re still selling them. I’m not sure how it will shake out. Maybe they’ll up the attendance to 50%? Who knows. I just hope they allow students a fare shot to get in the games. College football is my favorite sport. Hopefully we’ll be able to enjoy it this year. Boiler up!

As an Illinois season ticket holder, today I received an email with the following options.
1. Keep my season tickets this year but agree to be moved somewhere else because of social distancing protocol.
2. Receive a refund for this season but still be eligible for 2021 renewal with no penalty.
3. Donate my money to the athletic association IFUND. ( love ya, but nope ! )
4. Opt out of this season but have the money I paid be applied to 2021 season.

Have a decision to make. No tailgating is a serious blow to the game day experience. I do love my Illini, but ultimately I have to say Go Army Beat navy !!!!

No tailgating is a serious blow to the game day experience. I do love my Illini, but ultimately I have to say Go Army Beat navy !!!!

Ahhh, I just remembered @DenMig ! Yes - Go Army Beat Navy! That's what we lived for up on the banks of the Hudson. Sending you a PM now my friend!

William Goldman famously said about Hollywood, "Nobody knows nothin." I think that's the way it is with sports generally and college sports specifically right now. Nobody knows how the upcoming season will be impacted and what will happen if it ends up being a worse impact than currently projected.

My WAG is it will be fair to partly weird to start the season with widespread weirdness later. If we have playoffs this season I think it will be an upset.

Tough question.
From a health standpoint they probably should take a year or two off.
Some of the colleges may need the time to take the name of whatever evil person or group they are named for off everything.
But a lot of Colleges depend on the revenue, so I get that aspect.
I'm oddball, I went to College for an Education

I’m a Boilermaker season ticket holder. They recently announced 25% attendance for home football games. That’s around 15,000 people. There are currently about twice that number of season ticket holders for the 2020 season. And they’re still selling them. I’m not sure how it will shake out. Maybe they’ll up the attendance to 50%? Who knows. I just hope they allow students a fare shot to get in the games. College football is my favorite sport. Hopefully we’ll be able to enjoy it this year. Boiler up!

BOILER UP! I am a Purdue graduate living in Atlanta.

1985 - 1997. Did you too live on the banks of the Hudson?
Highland Falls, 1982-1984, courtesy of Uncle Sam, walked the sidewalk between Thayer and parade grounds high above the Hudson to see the movies and rode the green bus to work everyday. My highlight at Miche Stadium was watching Doug Flutie and the captain I worked for took pride in cracking Franco Harris ribs at Miche.

Highland Falls, 1982-1984, courtesy of Uncle Sam, walked the sidewalk between Thayer and parade grounds high above the Hudson to see the movies and rode the green bus to work everyday. My highlight at Miche Stadium was watching Doug Flutie and the captain I worked for took pride in cracking Franco Harris ribs at Miche.

Well hey, neighbor! Sounds like we might know some of the same people. My highlight at Michie was watching Randy Moss play. He was absolutely elegant and you knew he was headed to the NFL. Army was pretty bad that year so they hyped up the fact that Moss was coming to play at Michie. That's pretty bad when the home team advertises for the away team! That, and breaking the 7-year losing streak against Air Force at home in freezing cold, driving rain! Damn, I miss college football!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter