The Three Amigos eat their way through Disney FINAL UPDATE 1/24 Parisian Breakfast

I may be wrong but I think @kastoney just wrote about the Wave having a fishy smell when they ate dinner there last August. Weird, and that sucks. So does that bowl of mussels, my older DS loves mussels and gets them often when we're in Disney and every place he's ordered them serves more than that! He'd be disappointed, too.

I always love the chocolate sculptures/scenes during the F&W, they're done so well! It sucks when you have a disappointing meal, especially at Disney.

The next day was the move of our split stay, checking out of Beach Club and Hilton Grand Vacations Club Tuscany Village. We love this place, but transitioning to off-site never goes as quickly as hoped. We were supposed to meet Barb (jabead) at Magic Kingdom for an early ride on the mine train, but we're a bit late.

Our fastpass was still honored, but our buddy had moved onto the new Muppet show. After hightailing it to the show we met Barb and watched the show. It was really funny, and very Patriotic, led by Sam Eagle. Loved this.

Next we trekked over to Tomorrowland for a little Buzz Lightyear action. But first Mike, Sally and I were feeling the hunger. We stopped at the Lunching Pad for a ham and cheese pretzel. We were surprised how good this was, and very filling. Two easily fed three of us.

Here is our BUZZ Action. I am so bad at this game. Barb and Sally just killed Mike and me.

After a couple more rides, it was time to go to tea at the Garden View Tea Room. We travelled over and met our friends Paula and Hunter. Then we waited, and waited, and waited some more. I think we waited well over an hour past our reservation time. I think Mike took a nap. Sally and I went shopping and found all sorts of overpriced clothing we really really wanted to buy at the cool store next to the tea room. Alas, we left empty handed. Finally, we got our tea.

The format has changed a bit the last year or so. The choices have changed as well. Mike loves the Prince Edward tea that had all sorts of pate, roulade, cheese and such. Here it is in all its former glory.

Now only tea sandwiches are available. Mike sincerely hopes they bring this or something like it back. Also, you are no longer served in separate courses. The staff brings you a tower with all three courses on it. We have the tea sandwiches of egg salad, goat cheese and beet, cucumber and chicken curry. You also now get grapes, an onion tart, dubliner cheese (i think) and a cheddar. I love the addition of the feuit and cheese to the new finger sandwich plate. All were good. Sally and I got Earl Grey, while Mike got a special Mango oolong. Loved them in the little tea cozy.

We next had wonderful buttery scones with lemon curd, clotted cream and apricot preserves. I am not an apricot preserve fan, much preferring the strawberry of days past. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lemon curd. I could just lick the plate clean of that stuff. Who needs the scone. Well, I do because they were delicious. Sally and I got strawberries and cream for dessert. I think everyone else got pastries, but I'm not certain. There were macarons and chocolate covered strawberries and pretty cream puff swans. Here are pics.

We love tea. Must do every trip. This time was even better with great friends.

I always love the chocolate sculptures/scenes during the F&W, they're done so well! It sucks when you have a disappointing meal, especially at Disney.
I love the chocolate sculptures. The panda was my favorite this year.
I may be wrong but I think @kastoney just wrote about the Wave having a fishy smell when they ate dinner there last August. Weird, and that sucks. So does that bowl of mussels, my older DS loves mussels and gets them often when we're in Disney and every place he's ordered them serves more than that! He'd be disappointed, too.
I just mentioned on @kastoney s thread that we had the same smell. I think we might have built the Wave up too much in our heads. We have so many friends that just love their steaks. I might have been happier had I gone with something else. I hated Mussels until Mike and his niece ordered them at Le Cellier. They were FABULOUS! Since then I am a mussel convert, but only PEI. Mussels. Don't order them if you go to the Wave. So disappointing.

Thanks for continuing on with me. I hope to update later today.

The next morning we went to Trails End for breakfast. I think this maybe another place I have built up in my head so much that it couldn't possibly lived up to my expectations.

Getting there took awhile, and we thought we were running late, which added to what seemed be the longest bus ride ever. As it turned out we had nothing to worry about. Our wait was over an hour past our reservation time.

This is a buffet, priced well at about $18. It had a good variety of foods. I started out with both POG juice and a Coke Zero. I love Zero and am so happy places in Disney carry it. There was oatmeal, pastries, Krispy Kreme donut holes, cheesy eggs, French toast, Mickey Waffles, pecan bread pudding, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit , cottage cheese, salads, fritatas and fried chicken. Here are the pics I took.

[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161104_102146.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161104_102956.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161104_105056.jpg.html][/URL]

My fist plate had cottage cheese, fruit, spinach salad, vegetable fritatas, cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast pizza and potatoes. The cottage cheese was really good. The fruit was really hard and flavorless. The spinach salad smelled good, but was so wilted and vinegary it appears it had been sitting from the night before, bleach. The vegetable fritatas had a wierd plastic taste, so it also went uneaten. The bacon was the best thing on the palate. Tasted like it had an Applewood smoke. While it could have been a little more well done, the taste was really great. The sausage also tasted like plastic and was inedible. The pizza had sausage gravy, cheese and sausage on it. This had the same wierd taste as the sausage so I left that as well. The cheesy scrambled eggs were the best thing I had on that plate. They were perfectly done and had a nice cheddar taste. Yummy. The potatoes were OK, but a little salty. I rarely meet a potato I don't like.

My next plate had more of the cheesy eggs, oatmeal, bread pudding with pecan sauce, a double donut holes and a fried chicken leg. I couldn't get the oatmeal first time around because there were no bowls. The entire time I was getting that huge first plate, I kept watching for bowls and non were refilled. I understand the place was a madhouse, but come on. Wash some breakfast bowls. You can't offer various hot and cold cereals and not have bowls. Once I got a bowl, the oatmeal was really good. It tasted like steel cut or something. I put some fresh maple syrup on it, which made it a particularly yummy. The bread pudding and caramel sauce was a disappointment. It was just sweet, with no discernible flavor. The sauce was pretty flavorless too. I am fussy about bread pudding, as that is one of my specialties at home. This was just blah. Krispy Kreme, we'll need I say more. Now onto the fried chicken. Wierd for a breakfast buffet, but I am up for fried chicken any time any day. This was really good. It was lightly breaded but very crispy.

Now, what is missing from this picture? A Mickey Waffle. There certainly Mickey Waffles on the buffet, but they all looked burned. Mike got one, and it was hard as a rock. One reason to come here was to be the a Mickey Waffle. Sadly they all looked burned both times I was up there. I finally gave up.

A couple things were good, but I wasted more food than I ate. I don't really think I am a fussy eater, and I hate wasting food. This was a breakfast fail for me. Sally and Mike agreed.

The fried chicken was really good. I have already made a reservation to come try dinner here on our next trip in May. If the chicken is any indication of what dinner is like I can't wait.

Later that afternoon we went to one of our Must Do events, Wine Wednesdays at Jiko. This is a wine class presented by a sommelier, usually Shelly, discussing the origin of South African wine and how to taste wine in general. While the shtick can get a little old, Shelly is running on too much caffeine, and don't always go for the most expensive bottle Yada Yada Yada, it is fun. She always picks good wine, and the cheese plate is fabulous.

We had three wines.
Cedarburg Bukketraube is a light white wine, just a little sweet.

DMZ Rose is a great Rose that I purchase regularly at home. I found it at a previous wine Wednesday. It is crisp and refreshing. Not sweet like many Rose. Very nice on a warm day.

Finally The Black Pearl. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a side of Captain Jack Sparrow . Where the other wines were light, this was very heavy with high tannins. The flavor profile is everything I love, blackberry and spice. This is fantastic. I wish I could find this at home. This would pair really well with any kind of meat. This was my favorite of the day.

Since we knew that Cubs would win the World Series, Sally wanted to buy a bottle to celebrate. She asked Shelly for a good bottle of bubbly. Shelly kind of hinted we should look off site, but we were determined not to leave wine Wednesday without a bottle of sparkling wine. Sally laid down $50 for this beautiful bottle of Graham Beck's Sparkling Rose. This was FANTASTIC!!

When I got home to Binny's, my local liquor store, I realized why Shelly hinted very seriously to drive off site to find the bottle. Price point was $16.95. But, to us, opening it on the night the Cubs won, sitting on our balcony sipping this great bubbly, this was worth the $50 and more.

Before leaving I had to take a picture of the menu at Jiko. We love the Food here, as well as the wine. I need to have dinner here soon.
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_162344.jpg.html][/URL]

And I can't leave without going to Mara for some Zebra domes.

LOVE these.

I don't think I commented after you posted about the Afternoon Tea, but that's something I really want to do. I showed DH the menu's and now I have to decide if I'm going to book it for our March or May trip :scratchin
I'm so disappointed to hear you didn't like Trails End breakfast! DH and I did the weekend brunch back in August and absolutely loved it

Getting there took awhile, and we thought we were running late, which added to what seemed be the longest bus ride ever. As it turned out we had nothing to worry about. Our wait was over an hour past our reservation time.
Yeah, depending where you're coming from it can take awhile, but that wait past your ADR time was crazy :sad2: We were seated on time for breakfast but when we had Thanksgiving dinner there in Nov. we were seated pretty late past our time. However they let us know that when we checked in, and we just assumed it was due to the holiday. But then I read in another dining report that someone who did dinner in early Dec. also was sat fairly late so maybe it's a fairly regular problem for them..........

I have already made a reservation to come try dinner here on our next trip in May. If the chicken is any indication of what dinner is like I can't wait.
We LOVED our Thanksgiving dinner, and besides adding all the traditional Thanksgiving fare they had their regular dinner buffet so we tried lots of that food, too. I hope you have a better experience!

You must do afternoon tea. When are you going in May? We are set for tea on May 31st. It is so relaxing, the scones are fantastic and the teas are really great.

I am excited about Trails End dinner. I really wanted to like this.

I hope to get Captain's Grill up later today.

Next up Captain's Grill. This was a last minute addition I was so excited about. This night was the final game of the World Series. Sally really wanted to go to ESPN Zone to be with the crowds. We were all so excited for a possible Cubs win. Being in a crowded bar is pure hell for Mike. We went to ESPN early, but Mike just couldn't handle standing at a bar all night crowded in like sardines. Sally loved it and didn't want to leave. We left her there and decided to go to Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club.

This was really excited for this, as it gets so many good reviews. Plus we loved our breakfast there. In the past, it seems like we had considered it, but Yachts man always won out in the end. Not that day. We were determined.

We sat down and we're very excited to see that Captain's Grill has a wine flight. We LOVE wine flights so we can taste different things. This one was good and gave us nice sized pours for our money.
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_202948.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_203001.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_203004.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_203008.jpg.html][/URL]
We each got the same flight. Every wine was great. The Simi was really good. One has to be careful with Simi wines. We have gotten some at home that have not been so good. You have to spend a bit on Simi to get a good one. This was really good. No cheapo wine here. All of these had some of my favorite flavors like cherry, blackberry and chocolate.

We then both ordered clam chowder. This was also really good. I am fussy about cream soups, but this was really good. There were plenty of clams in the soup. The flavor was buttery and sea salty (in a good way) and rich. The only thing missing IMHO is a shot of Sherry to add to the soup. That would have just kicked it up to fabulous. I love liquor in my food as much as in my drinks LOL.
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_203250.jpg.html][/URL]
We also had a dark hearty bread, but I don't know what kind it is.
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_203042.jpg.html][/URL]
For my entree I got Tagliatelle Pasta - braised short ribs, fennel, cipollini onions, veal jus, shaved parmesan, and seasoned greens. This was excellent. The pasta tasted homemade. The short rib was flavorful. The onions were sweet. The greens added a freshness and additional texture to the dish that went together very well. I liked this a lot.
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_204518.jpg.html][/URL]
As much as I liked this, I was green with envy over Mike's dish.
Cabernet-braised Short Rib - corn risotto, pan jus reduction and corn cream.

This was heavenly. Tender short rib over sweet corn risotto. The sauce was lick your plate good. This was a huge piece of short rib. I was allowed a couple bites, in exchange for a bit of my pasta. Eventually Mike said "Enough!" and wouldn't let me take over his plate. In his defense, I was very persistent.

Overall this was a wonderful meal. We will be back for both breakfast and dinner. Unfortunately for me, it seems to be closed during our May trip. I will just have to wait til October.

We sauntered back to ESPN Club, but couldn't get back in. Since we were at the Boardwalk, and we hadn't had dessert, we picked up this little cutie. Chocolate covered strawberry cupcake. This is my favorite cupcake in the whole wide world.
Yellow cake, strawberry cream filling, light strawberry frosting, and a chocolate covered strawberry..Fantastic!!
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-11/20151101_231022.jpg.html][/URL]

That tagliatelle pasta looks so good! I've read multiple great reviews of it but we've yet to eat dinner there. Sine our next 2 trips aren't at Epcot area resorts it might have to wait a bit longer, but I think I'll put it on our "to do" list.
Your cupcake also looks delicious, in all our stays at the BW (and visits to the bakery) I don't think I've ever seen that. I don't usually miss good looking snacks so maybe I need my eyes checked!

I didn't know about this "wine Wednesday" - I don't often head to Jiko, because I think its a PITA to get over there, but that's what they made Uber for and I don't think I can pass that up. Thanks for the review - it became a recommendation to this girl!

That cupcake looks fabulous! But then again, I've never had a cupcake from the Boardwalk Bakery I didn't like ;)

That tagliatelle pasta looks so good! I've read multiple great reviews of it but we've yet to eat dinner there. Sine our next 2 trips aren't at Epcot area resorts it might have to wait a bit longer, but I think I'll put it on our "to do" list.
Your cupcake also looks delicious, in all our stays at the BW (and visits to the bakery) I don't think I've ever seen that. I don't usually miss good looking snacks so maybe I need my eyes checked!
The pasta was really good. The meat is just so awesome I wished I had more of it, so the envy of Mike's plate. Captains Grill is worth the trip over there, even if you are not at the Epcot resort area. I first had the Cupcake a couple years ago. It is a must do for us. Plus that thing is huge. You really need to try it.

I didn't know about this "wine Wednesday" - I don't often head to Jiko, because I think its a PITA to get over there, but that's what they made Uber for and I don't think I can pass that up. Thanks for the review - it became a recommendation to this girl!
Wine Wednesday is really fun. Book early, as it fills up. Although it is a pretty pay event, you have 3 days prior to cancel. This means cancellations happen all the time. This trip, I booked one person at 5 months out, the next person 60 days out, and the third person two weeks before we left. So if you don't get in at first, be persistent. You won't regret it.

That cupcake looks fabulous! But then again, I've never had a cupcake from the Boardwalk Bakery I didn't like ;)
I am not a Cupcake person, so I was reallluy suprised how much I loved this. I probably should try a different one at Boardwalk Bakery, but I keep coming back to this one because it is so good.

We are down to our last day at the World. What better way to end than to see friends we won't see again for awhile, the Chicago expat Captain Mark and his lovely wife. Also joining us was Maggie, Animal Kingdom CM who we are hoping will marry Sally's son. Fingers X'd!!

We decided some sushi was in order, so off to Kimonos we went. This is my favorite sushi place in Orlando. You get some fresh fish here. The rolls are not quite as good here as at California Grill, but they are just as big at half the price. Plus the Nigiri is great too. We got a few rolls to share, as well as Saki Sangria!! This drink is part of the reason I love this place. It comes in a little pitcher, so you get more than one glass.

We started with some satay.. yummy

We got a dragon roll and rainbow roll

We also had a shrimp tempura roll and spicy tuna roll.

We also had a tray of Nigiri, but I can't find the photo. Chalk it up to the Saki Sangria. That stuff is STRONG and packs a wallop. Just love it.

After that we walked to Boardwalk and one more stop at the bakery. Most everything was sold out, but I was able to get another strawberry cupcake, a chocolate chip cookie and a peanut butter cookie. No pics, but I am sure you know what a giant cookie looks like.

A great last meal with great friends we will miss until we see them again next spring. After living in Florida, I don't see them coming home for the winter.

Our last day at Disney began with another of my favorite F&W events, the Parisian Breakfast at Le Chefs de France. This is a carb lovers dream. We shared this meal with our friends Paula and Hunter. We also saw Rachel, who was with her hubby at another table. Paula and Rachel had run a 10K I believe, right before, so they were in need of carbs.

We were greeted with a Mimosa, which was refilled constantly while we were there. It is set up as a buffet of delectable treats. All sorts of croissants, baguettes, tartines and other French pastries. The charcuterie was great, with different kinds of ham and sausage. We had a large selection of cheese. Of course there was Croque Monsiuer, one of mussels favorites. Bon Mammon provided jam. As I said carb overload.

Here is my first plate
[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/20141101_081227.jpg.html][/URL]

I had brie, gruyere, swiss and goat cheese. I had a chocolate croissant I split with Sally, a Croque Monsiuer, frangipan filled pastry, ham and sausages. Now that am am looking, I think this was my second plate. I found another pic on my phone that I think had my first. I only say this because it has the shared croissant. It also had the goat cheese tartine I loved earlier in the week.

[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/andiokno/media/20161105_092152.jpg.html][/URL]

I also believe that in between plates Paula gave me half of a frangipani filled pastry, which is why I got a whole one.

By the end of the meal, we were drunk and stuffed. We also got a little care packet that had a Lillet makeup mirror, strawberry jam and a cookbook. For the $35 price tag, it is one of the cheaper events, but is so good.

We love this event and hope to go again next year.

I really loved your TR! I'm always so impressed by the F&W TR and how well everyone remembers the names (and spellings) of their dishes/drinks. I think your pasta from Captain's Grille made my mouth water. YUM! One of these days we'll do an 'adult' trip and I can eat at places that don't include characters. LOL! Thank you for letting me live vicariously through your food porn :worship:

The next morning we went to Trails End for breakfast. I think this maybe another place I have built up in my head so much that it couldn't possibly lived up to my expectations.

This is a buffet, priced well at about $18. It had a good variety of foods. I started out with both POG juice and a Coke Zero. I love Zero and am so happy places in Disney carry it. There was oatmeal, pastries, Krispy Kreme donut holes, cheesy eggs, French toast, Mickey Waffles, pecan bread pudding, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit , cottage cheese, salads, fritatas and fried chicken. Here are the pics I took.

My fist plate had cottage cheese, fruit, spinach salad, vegetable fritatas, cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast pizza and potatoes. The cottage cheese was really good. The fruit was really hard and flavorless. The spinach salad smelled good, but was so wilted and vinegary it appears it had been sitting from the night before, bleach. The vegetable fritatas had a wierd plastic taste, so it also went uneaten. The bacon was the best thing on the palate. Tasted like it had an Applewood smoke. While it could have been a little more well done, the taste was really great. The sausage also tasted like plastic and was inedible. The pizza had sausage gravy, cheese and sausage on it. This had the same wierd taste as the sausage so I left that as well. The cheesy scrambled eggs were the best thing I had on that plate. They were perfectly done and had a nice cheddar taste. Yummy. The potatoes were OK, but a little salty. I rarely meet a potato I don't like.

My next plate had more of the cheesy eggs, oatmeal, bread pudding with pecan sauce, a double donut holes and a fried chicken leg. I couldn't get the oatmeal first time around because there were no bowls. The entire time I was getting that huge first plate, I kept watching for bowls and non were refilled. I understand the place was a madhouse, but come on. Wash some breakfast bowls. You can't offer various hot and cold cereals and not have bowls. Once I got a bowl, the oatmeal was really good. It tasted like steel cut or something. I put some fresh maple syrup on it, which made it a particularly yummy. The bread pudding and caramel sauce was a disappointment. It was just sweet, with no discernible flavor. The sauce was pretty flavorless too. I am fussy about bread pudding, as that is one of my specialties at home. This was just blah. Krispy Kreme, we'll need I say more. Now onto the fried chicken. Wierd for a breakfast buffet, but I am up for fried chicken any time any day. This was really good. It was lightly breaded but very crispy.

Now, what is missing from this picture? A Mickey Waffle. There certainly Mickey Waffles on the buffet, but they all looked burned. Mike got one, and it was hard as a rock. One reason to come here was to be the a Mickey Waffle. Sadly they all looked burned both times I was up there. I finally gave up.

A couple things were good, but I wasted more food than I ate. I don't really think I am a fussy eater, and I hate wasting food. This was a breakfast fail for me. Sally and Mike agreed.

The fried chicken was really good. I have already made a reservation to come try dinner here on our next trip in May. If the chicken is any indication of what dinner is like I can't wait.
What time was your Trails End reservation? We have a 9:20 on the Thursday morning following Easter. I never even considered that we would have a wait, I assumed not many people went out that way. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it.....

I really loved your TR! I'm always so impressed by the F&W TR and how well everyone remembers the names (and spellings) of their dishes/drinks. I think your pasta from Captain's Grille made my mouth water. YUM! One of these days we'll do an 'adult' trip and I can eat at places that don't include characters. LOL! Thank you for letting me live vicariously through your food porn :worship:

Thanks for following along. Depending on how old your child is, the Swan and Dolphin resorts have a Kids club. Previously Bluezoo and IL Mulino gave you two free hours of kids club when you eat dinner there. That is one way your kids can have dinner with characters and games, and you get a bit of grownup time.

I am drooling over that breakfast. And the mimosas! Will have to put this on the "some day" list.
You really need to do this. It is hard to get into. Chase card members get a chance at reservations a day early, so if you have a Chase card do it early. Paula made our reservations this year. The Mimosa are great, as well as the Food.

What time was your Trails End reservation? We have a 9:20 on the Thursday morning following Easter. I never even considered that we would have a wait, I assumed not many people went out that way. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it.....
Our reservation was around 9. I was surprised at how long we waited. It wouldn't have bothered me as much honestly, if the Food hadn't been so bleh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter