• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Spring Break Getaway Trip (to the Dark Side)

Do people really care what I do on my vacation?

• Absolutely, I think you are an astounding person and my life revolves around what you do!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Absolutely, the things you do are a lesson to me on what NOT to do!

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Absolutely, reading what you do helps me decide if I want to do those things too!

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Absolutely, we're friends, and friends are interested in what friends do!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Absolutely NOT. But it passes time til my next vacation, and I want you to read my TR.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely NOT. I'm just here for the comments; pass the popcorn.

• Yes, but not for any of the reasons listed

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Not really, but for some other reason.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dayvewc

DIS Veteran
Some people have asked. And some have threatened to hold it against me until the 7th generation if I don't, so here is my trip report for my solo Spring Break getaway trip to (primarily) Universal Studios with some SeaWorld thrown in for good measure.

As always, the planning for this trip began last summer on my way home from my last trip. By this time, I kind of consider my self experienced in these things, so other than setting up my resort reservation, I did not do any other pre-planning (besides making a reservation at T-Rex when the window opened).

Fast forward to 17 March 2016, and I am up at 11 pm trying to get all my last minute packing completed. lol. I got it done, but that meant a slightly shorter night than I had originally hoped for. Especially since Thursdays are already short nights since I have early morning duties at work on Friday.

So, my alarm rings at 5 am Friday morning, and even though I've only been in slumber land for about 5 hours, I get up to start my last day of work/first day of vacation. I'd like to say I jumped out of bed, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, but my movements probably more resembled that of a walrus high on dry land.

After a full 9 hour (10 hour if you count morning commute time) day at work, I bundled myself in my car, which I had loaded with all the luggage the night before, and began my drive to Orlando. 2 hours later, it started to rain. And continued to do so for the next 4 hours. By the time I finally checked in to my hotel for the night, a little after midnight Saturday morning, I had been steadily rained on for 6 hours.

Saturday was close to a repeat of Friday, only no work, no rain, and longer in the car. I woke up about 7, was on the road shortly after 8, and finally arrived in Orlando at my resort about 8 that night. I simply brought all my luggage inside, and went to sleep.

Sunday, I slept in til close to 11 am, then after a leisurely shower and breakfast, I headed to Universal for a few hours. This is the part I love about having an annual pass. I don't feel so pressured to spend from opening to closing at the parks.

I arrived at the parking garage, and I think I must have been in the lane for the numerically challenged. Or something. I counted, and for every car length I moved forward, all the other lanes moved 2-4 times as much. In most instances, I would have taken advantage of the faster lanes and moved over, but being somewhat mobility impaired, it is easiest to enter the disabled parking area from the far left booth lane. So, there I stayed. My drive from the resort to the park was less than 10 minutes; my wait to get into the actual garage was more than 45 minutes.

But I made it. And other than much larger crowds than I expected, I had a good time. I did not ride anything this day, as I was looking for specific souvenirs I had promised some people, and was acquainting myself with the layout of the parks.

A few hours later, I decided to head back to the room, and got all the way to my car when I realized that my single spare key, the one I bring only on vacation so I don't have to carry my full key-chain with me, was to the old car that was wrecked and totaled last fall. Large amounts of stress, as I tried to figure out how to get the car opened. My AAA card was in my wallet - in my room. My full key-chain was in the car - in the hidey-hole. I tried the key anyway on the driver door - nothing. Feeling desperate and grasping at straws, I tried the key on the hatchback - and it WORKED!!! So, I climbed through the car to unlock the front door and retrieve my regular keys, then packed my scooter back in the car and returned to the room for the remainder of the day and night.

And thus ends my first couple of days on this getaway. March 18 - 20, to be exact.

Here!!

Climbing through the back of the car.....oh dear....well at least you GOT in! Oy.

Now, I thought you were supposed to be on the trip with a nephew?? Did you ditch him? Hide the body along the highway? Sell him to Mickey??:rotfl2:

Here!!

Climbing through the back of the car.....oh dear....well at least you GOT in! Oy.

Now, I thought you were supposed to be on the trip with a nephew?? Did you ditch him? Hide the body along the highway? Sell him to Mickey??:rotfl2:

LOL. He was supposed to be here, but the agreement on him going was that I would pay room, transportation, and most food cost - but he had to come up with the money for his ticket, souvenirs, and extra food expenses (basically, if he wanted to snack all day in the parks, he had to pay for it, but I would pay for regular meals). We cut the deal last summer, and in February he texted me that he had been stupid and spent all his savings on a game system. So, he wasn't here this trip after all. I did have fun celebrating his upcoming graduation, though.

Joining in.... popcorn::

One of your choices should've been "absolutely because debt dumpers stuck together":grouphug:

:grouphug:

I actually felt my blood pressure rise when you reported the key issue!

How far is your drive to Orlando? (Arkansas, right?)

@dayvewc well that sounds like a fair deal and he went and did something else with the money (silly boy!!) so there.......! Can't wait for the next installment!

@dayvewc well that sounds like a fair deal and he went and did something else with the money (silly boy!!) so there.......! Can't wait for the next installment!

That was kind of my take on the whole mess. I'm trying to get him interested in budgeting, especially since he is starting college in the fall. I was hoping that he could learn how to avoid the debt monsters if possible.

I actually felt my blood pressure rise when you reported the key issue!

Yeah, I was stressing pretty hard for a bit there myself!!

How far is your drive to Orlando? (Arkansas, right?)

I do live in Arkansas. Total drive time back took me 17+ hours yesterday. Left at 8:45 am EDT and arrived home about 1:10 am CDT. And all I stopped for was gas as needed, dinner when I ran out of travel snacks, a few restroom breaks (after too many drinks), and to pick up some laundry detergent for when I got home. So, I think theoretically, if I could cut or combine a couple of those stops I could maybe do the drive in 16 hours (not counting time changes).

Day 3, Monday 21 March 2016

I intentionally forgot to set my alarm, so didn't wake up until about 11 am. I say intentionally "forgot" because shortly after I went to bed on Sunday night, I was up again and in the bathroom. Off and on until after 4 am. Apparently, something I had eaten, probably on the drive Saturday, was deciding to give me a, shall we say, "run" for my money? :sad: :crazy2: :sad2:

So, I got up just in time for lunch on Monday, and then packed myself off to SeaWorld. Got there and kind of roamed around looking at the animals and displays. Didn't really feel like riding any rides, but I did watch the Pets Ahoy show and meandered my way over to Shamu Stadium to watch the One Ocean. Had something that had never happened to me before. You know how during the pre-show they ask all current or former members of the US military or its allies to stand and be recognized? I did (as always) and wound up on the big jumbo-tron!! :) I never know how to feel about recognition like that. On the one hand, serving isn't exactly easy, but on the other hand, it was by my choice.

Both shows were great (as always), though I do kind of miss that the trainers can't "ride" the whales like they used to. But this was also the coldest day while I was there. Temperature was in the mid 50's for a high, and the wind was constant 5-10 mph. Felt much cooler than it really was. Honestly, the temperature was perfect for a still day, or the wind was perfect for a hot day, but the two together: BRRRR!!!

So, I spent a lot of time not in shows investigating the gift shops. About 10 years ago, I had gotten a flat coin purse (looks kind of like a football; used to be EVERYWHERE in the 70's and 80's as free gifts from every bank, insurance, etc.; you squeeze the ends and one side opens up along the split to put your change in) from SeaWorld and it finally died late last fall. So, I was looking a replacement. I was eventually able to describe it sufficiently to the store workers that they could tell me that they were no longer sold. One told me that she thought that one of the dollar stores might have them, but then it wouldn't have the SeaWorld logo on it. Oh, well. I'll get a replacement somewhere eventually.

I headed over to the dolphin stadium to watch Blue Horizons, but the shape of the stadium just funneled the wind and I decided that I didn't want to be uncomfortable watching the show, so I headed toward the exit, stopping to pick up the souvenirs I had budgeted and planned for. I got hand sanitizers with the SeaWorld logo for my AP Cal students (there's only 11, so not too bad) (lol, there's going to be a joke here, just wait for it), a towel for me, a t-shirt for me and couple other people I "have" to get gifts for, and then did the upsale for a SeaWorld logo'd flight bag and insulated duffle bag. Then it was time to head back to the room and do some reading for my grad class. And that was Monday.

****Ok, for the joke. The hand sanitizer is a nice light ocean blue color. One of my students is vegetarian. All of them are female. Most of them have pets (so do I for that matter). So, I plan to give them the gifts, and tell them that I was assured that it is the most effective and pure cleaner on the market, as SeaWorld makes it internally from the souls of baby dolphins and club seals. :rolleyes1 Yes, I am a stinker. ****

Day 4, Tuesday 22 March 2016

This was pretty much my complete down day. I got up about 7:30, got showered and dressed, and headed over to The Fountains resort for the "owner upgrade" tour. No, I do not need another timeshare, but I did like the $100 gift card for attending the meeting. And that resort is REALLY nice. It's already on the RCI exchange, so I may look at trying to book there next time I am down in Orlando.

That took most of the morning, I got back around noon and ate lunch and did some more work on my grad class.

:offtopic:After that I called and complained long and loud to Diamond Resorts International (the time share I got back in December) that I was really disgusted with how they have failed to follow through on what my understanding of the agreement was and that I was ready to simply cancel all payments and they could have it back. I finally agreed to continue with this months payment while waiting for the supervisor to review the issues I have had. Though the assurance that I would hear something back in 24 - 36 hours has been proven false. Still have not heard back from them. Most of the problems I have experienced from them I am willing to choke on and deal with as not having read the contract closely enough. There are 2 problems that I am not willing to overlook, though.
The first is that they require an new owner orientation within 90 days of purchase. I managed to arrange for a return at about the 105 day mark, since I will need either a Friday or Monday off work for travel for the 2 night complimentary stay. Scheduling that was like pulling teeth. You'd think I was asking to sacrifice the firstborn child of the service rep! They did eventually agree to allow the visit 2 weeks after the deadline, but on my drive down Saturday, when they called to confirm, I was informed that since I was still making my payments (on the payment plan they required), then I would not be allowed in the meeting, would not receive a refund on the deposit I paid, and if I showed up they would additionally charge me full rack rate for the room for the 2 nights (about $450).
My second issue, and the one I am hoping I can use to dump the whole mess and get rid of it - even taking the loss of the deposit I paid and the couple of payments I have made so far, is that I have yet to ever receive a copy of my contract. After I had signed and initialed everything, I was informed that they no longer provide copies, but that it would be scanned and delivered installed on a Windows compatible e-reader. Haven't gotten anything yet. So, while I know in general that I'm well past the time to reconsider the purchase, I'm hoping that by hammering home that I have not had the contract to review that they cannot start the countdown clock until it is in my possession. At that point, they can start the 3 or 5 or 7 or however many days it is, review window to allow my to change my mind.
*****sorry for the vent in the middle of the TR, it just still chaps my hide in uncomfortable places how the whole thing has turned out. I really liked the options that DRI would have given me, even though I really didn't need another vacation package account. I have been really hopeful that I could manage to get past the initial unpleasantness I experienced. But being denied and then threatened to fulfill a requirement because I am meeting the obligations on the schedule they insisted on just steams me every time I think about it. >:(

Ok, back to the good stuff. Went down to Disney Springs and looked it over. Not much is different from Downtown Disney, though there are still some construction walls up in a few places. Bought my mom her Christmas present (probably won't wait til then to give it to her, but every trip to Disney I get her a new Mickey Mouse nutcracker. This one he is in a red uniform).

Took the nutcracker back to my car, and called my sister, who had been texting me. She wanted to use some of my timeshare weeks (this is really why I have so much of them, family uses them all too) and wasn't sure how to do so. She preferred to pay for the exchange herself, and didn't know how to navigate the RCI website. We got that figured out, and she even paid my dues for next year so she could borrow the points she needed to get both rooms she wanted. Though, I'm pretty sure I'll need to pay her back for them before long.

Then I went and ate at T-Rex. Really really good food. I think the food there is better than at RainForest Cafe. The prices are similar though. The decor was nice, with different sections having much different themes. I was in the coral section, and could see the glacier section. Don't really remember the other sections. Then I headed home for a relatively early night. Only, didn't quite work out that way. When I got back to the room, I realized that the pool would be open another hour, so I changed into my swim trunks and went and soaked in the hot tub for a while before heading to bed.

And thus ended day 4.

Day 5, Wednesday 23 March 2016

My alarm started going off around 7:30, and I got up before 8. :) Got my shower, got dressed, and headed to Universal Studios. I knew I was going to get there after they opened, but figured I would get there before most of the people. Should have checked the schedule again, they actually opened at 8, so my arrival about 9:30 had longer lines than I wanted to deal with on most rides.

Actually, I arrived a little before 9, but was sent to the wrong lane for parking, and had to follow the parking guard in a golf cart back through the maze to re-enter the parking garage, and then by the time I got the scooter unloaded and through security it was closer to 9:30.

So, I spent the day doing this ...

61301_032316_000318543.JPG

20160323_110107 (2).jpg

And then wondered over to USO for these ...

20160323_123644 (2).jpg

61301_032316_000318545.JPG

61301_032316_000318547.JPG

20160323_132536 (2).jpg

And then late in the afternoon, I headed back to the room, read some more in my grad class, and then went to bed early.

Maybe you should contact the Attorney General for AR or FL and see what they say about the contract. I bet you're not the first one. Also, Google them and contracts, see what you find.

Day 6, Thursday 24 March 2016

Ok. Woke up about 7 am this morning. Took my time getting dressed and headed over to SeaWorld. Was a much warmer day today, so didn't feel like I was freezing at times.

Went through the Turtle Trek experience. The Team Members don't appreciate it when you point out that the great thing about turtles is that they come with their own soup-bowl. :-D

Then I went over and watched Blue Horizons, roamed the park for a while, picked up couple more towels as souvenir gifts for people, and headed back to my room mid/late afternoon.

Gathered all my clothes and did laundry, and then collected stuff to go grill dinner, and .... it started raining.

So, no soak in the hot tub, no grilled dinner, just had a easy night in the room. Though I did go online and filed a report with the BBB about DRI. I figured since my original plans for the day were kind of shot, I'd work on those problems.

I did get this pic though.

20160324_110710 (2).jpg

Maybe you should contact the Attorney General for AR or FL and see what they say about the contract. I bet you're not the first one. Also, Google them and contracts, see what you find.

I have wondered about which one(s) I would need to contact. I actually was in Branson, Missouri when I purchased, so figured probably there. But based on the information on the website, the corporate office is in Nevada (which is what I went by when I filed with the Better Business Buruea). I live in Arkansas, and the people that I have talked to on the phone mention that they were based in Orlando. It was actually kind of funny, I was there on vacation and they were talking about living there but never getting to visit the parks much.

Wow, you've been covering a lot of ground so far on this trip - AND getting in some studying, you are a force to be reckoned with!! :banana::banana: Loving the photos too!!

Great pictures! :thumbsup2

We own a timeshare through Bluegreen and have stayed at the Fountains multiple times. It is a beautiful resort! When we went last year, they tried to get us to do an owners' update, but we had a few issues at the beginning of our stay (which management completely resolved) and decided not to do the update at that time. I'm sure they'll ask us again though when we stay there this summer. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter