The Spencers LIVE from WDW - Day Three (11/23/00) - A Lot to Be Thankful For!

hedgehogcs

Always listening to Jiminy Cricket...
Cast: Chris (Overemotional Trip Report Author & Happy Mom)
Jack (Overgrown Kid & Happy Dad)
Katie (14yo Wonderful Daughter)
Jenny (12yo Wonderful Daughter)
Dan (12 yo Wonderful Son)

Happy Thanksgiving! We have another day with a lot to be thankful for! After yesterday’s long & busy day, we decided to sleep in a bit – and we still managed to get to Animal Kingdom at 8:10. Fearful that large holiday crowds would prevent us from doing everything we wanted in only one day, we headed straight for It’s Tough to Be a Bug – but it wasn’t open yet so we went off to Kilimanjaro Safaris, and were surprised to see only a 15 minute wait!! We immediately got in line and found the wait to actually only be 5 minutes. It was a cold morning, but there were lots of animals out and about. We saw two white rhinos engaged in a fight & saw the male lion leap from the highest rock onto the ground, landing right on his face. (I expected an Olympic gymnast announcer “Oooh…that landing is going to cost him at least a half point!”) But he was fine.

Then back to the Tree of Life, where we saw Tough to Be a Bug. I love this show. But the real attraction is walking through the roots of the Tree. Katie put it best by saying that she wished she could just ride slowly through the roots – so she could fully look around without having to keep walking forward or watch where she was going. It’s so incredible. Then we were off to Dinoland, USA – where we rode Dinosaur & saw Tarzan Rocks. I didn’t think the Tarzan show was as good as the Lion King show, but it was enjoyable. By then it was 11:00 and we wanted to get an early lunch so we headed over to Pizzafari.

After lunch, we headed to Asia, where we were foolhardy enough to go on Kali River Rapids, in spite of the chilly weather. Well, we all got wet but Katie & Dan got soaked. On the way out, there were big heater/blow dryers to warm us all up. Why was I surprised? Disney thinks of everything! Then we walked through Maharajah Jungle Trek, where we got to see a couple of those huge flying foxes having a fight…plus some gorgeous views of the tigers. When we walked out of there, it was perfect time to catch Flights of Wonder, which was thoroughly fun. I would buy a CD of Groucho the Parrot singing! His version of ‘How Much is that Doggie in the Window?’ was too adorable.

Then there was the realization that we were almost done with the park and it was only 1:20!! So we went back to Harambe to walk through Pangani Forest Trail & take another safari ride. We had gotten a Safaris Fastpass before we started the Pangani walkthrough & when we came out, it was time to ride. Not as many animals out this afternoon – even with a very mild weather. But it was still a great ride and Little Red was okay! Whew! Then we walked back over to Dinoland to do Dinosaur again, shopping along the way. After Dinosaur, it was 4:00 and we were done with everything we wanted to see…so we went early to Rainforest Café and had our Thanksgiving dinner (for free – paid for with Gift Certificates) and came back to the hotel.

We chilled out for a while & rested our oh-so-tired feet…then we hopped a bus to Magic Kingdom just to catch the monorail to see the Christmas decorations at the Grand Floridian (gorgeous), Polynesian (didn’t look like it was decorated much, if at all!) and Contemporary (pretty trees!). At the Contemporary, we all went downstairs to the big game room & threw away some quarters. I always remember that Jack & I came to this game room on our honeymoon & there was a little theater in the back that showed Disney movies. We went in & watched Alice in Wonderland. Now the theater is used for Cast Members only. Then we came back here & are ready to hit the hay.

Tomorrow’s plan: Epcot early morning, then going to Disney Studios for the rest of the day. I’ve seen Fantasmic twice & both times I cried that my kids weren’t with me. Tomorrow I finally get to share it with them!

Thanks for taking time from your trip to tell us all about it. Disney really does know how to put those magical touches in dont they. Who would think of putting a dryer/heater there but them. Thanks for the info about the decorations. I'm very interested in that because I'll be down there soon.

<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font> <font color=green>http://www.wdwinfo.com/merchandise/index.shtml</font>
mickey87.gif
jump.cgi

Another tarheel here! I'm loving your live reports and so nice to read about a group have a great time with no problems. I leave in 8 days with my group and plan to have a magical time also!

Tarheel Tink
illumin.GIF

DIS member since 9/98 and dang proud of it!
Disneyland multiple times
WDW 1982(in a seedy off-site rathole), DxL(Bayou)1997, CBR 1998, WL 1999, PO 2000, DxL (mansions) 2000!

Thanks for the post!! I'm really enjoying your trip report. I have an almost 16 yo ds and 10yo dd and will be there in 17 days!!! Am glad to hear that Animal Kingdom can be enjoyed in less than a full day since we are leaving there for a ps at World Showcase for dinner. Thanks again! :)

I am just lovin' your trip reports! It's like reading a good book! I can't wait for tomorrows chapter! Thanks!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting. I have the flu and feel crummy, but this made me feel so much better.
I only wish my next trip was sooner.

teachbrooks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter