The Running Thread - 2020

Well I gave it a try but after a lengthy stay in the virtual queue, the 1000 guaranteed future entries for the NYC virtual marathon sold out. I don’t think I want to do a virtual 26.2 without the incentive of the actual race in the future. Good luck to all who go for it, hopefully someone here got one of the coveted spots if you were trying for it

Nice! Is that at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan?
yep! it's practically in my backyard. our region is doing really well comparatively with the covid numbers so I'm optimistic they will be able to hold it in person. They did a huge project recreational trail (runners and bikers) to get people safely off the [narrow] winding roads and i'm pretty sure they use that for a large portion of the race. We should be into early fall colors by then so as long as it's not 30 and snowing, or pouring rain, it should be a pretty race as well.

View attachment 514229
And now I have anxiety.
So.... tempting.... At least the black flies should be gone!
I'm trying not to loose my mind as our district called off until some point TBD, and my kids are irritated we have only visited 'baby lakes' this summer. And it is sponsored by Shorts, so that makes it easier to convince the husband it is a good idea!

Well I gave it a try but after a lengthy stay in the virtual queue, the 1000 guaranteed future entries for the NYC virtual marathon sold out. I don’t think I want to do a virtual 26.2 without the incentive of the actual race in the future. Good luck to all who go for it, hopefully someone here got one of the coveted spots if you were trying for it
I was lucky enough. Have a charge but no confirmation yet.

I’m back in business - tried again later this afternoon and it all synced back up. Some of the functions are still catching up - but happy to report no lost workouts.

I wasn’t particularly worried, and never tried a computer - but nice to see my data again (made me realize how much I like checking the sleep, calories data).

So... not that I have plans to run one or need a new POT yet (but I will in the near future)...

Do you think runDisney would allow one of these OYO races to count for POT? They are USATF certified. They track you with phone GPS. They have a start/finish line. You wear a bib with a chip. They post results online. 🤷‍♀️

https://runoyo.com/

Last edited:
I was lucky enough. Have a charge but no confirmation yet.
Based on the info NYRR is sending out I think they screwed this process up. Said they should have confirmations to successful registrants out tomorrow. Officially worried.

Last edited:
Random Question... (but hey, what are internet friends for??)

Does anyone use any kind of heartburn/reflux medicine/proton pump inhibitor? Good experience with it? Rx or OTC?

I am having a flare of pretty bad reflux/heart burn. Doctor suggested a PPI, but I was a little hesitant. But am thinking maybe taking for a couple weeks might let my tummy heal a bit.

I was on a PPI for a while (Prevacid/lansoprazole), then went off of it when my weight was down. The weight is back up, the reflux kept getting worse and worse, I finally gave in and took some last week...and it was gone.

They recommend not using them longer than a few weeks without a doctor's supervision, but for a couple weeks, on a doctor's recommendation, you should be okay.

So... not they I have plans to run one or need a new POT yet (but I will in the near future)...

Do you think runDisney would allow one of these OYO races to count for POT? They are USATF certified. They track you with phone GPS. They have a start/finish line. You wear a bib with a chip. They post results online. 🤷‍♀️

Interesting.....Should be a yes since it seems to meet the requirements, i.e. it is officially timed and USATF certified. And honestly, beyond that they shouldn't make any judgments. But you never know with RD. Have you emailed them? Would be interested in their response.

Interesting.....Should be a yes since it seems to meet the requirements, i.e. it is officially timed and USATF certified. And honestly, beyond that they shouldn't make any judgments. But you never know with RD. Have you emailed them? Would be interested in their response.

I wouldn’t think they’d allow it. rD is pretty conservative in what they allow to prevent cheating and people finding creative ways to get into corrals they wouldn’t otherwise qualify for. Who knows, though. Maybe this race has enough safeguards to make them comfortable.

I wouldn’t think they’d allow it. rD is pretty conservative in what they allow to prevent cheating and people finding creative ways to get into corrals they wouldn’t otherwise qualify for. Who knows, though. Maybe this race has enough safeguards to make them comfortable.
They have several cameras set up along the course - which periodically change locations so you don’t know where they will be. You have to keep their app on for the entire run (for GPS tracking). If you leave the course, (take a wrong turn) you have to re-enter at same location. Timing mats and app data need to align. And since fewer people run the course on a given day, they are able to scrutinize most (all) results a lot better than normal races.
I don’t know either. At the moment on an individual’s race result page, I couldn’t find info on the specific date that they ran the race - which I think would need to be added. You can query results for specific dates, so it should be easy to add to an individual’s result’s page.

I just emailed runDisney. I’ll let you know what they say.
They have several cameras set up along the course - which periodically change locations so you don’t know where they will be. You have to keep their app on for the entire run (for GPS tracking). If you leave the course, (take a wrong turn) you have to re-enter at same location. Timing mats and app data need to align. And since fewer people run the course on a given day, they are able to scrutinize most (all) results a lot better than normal races.
I don’t know either. At the moment on an individual’s race result page, I couldn’t find info on the specific date that they ran the race - which I think would need to be added. You can query results for specific dates, so it should be easy to add to an individual’s result’s page.
I emailed OYO about the race date. They were in the process of updating something on the website, and have already added the race date to an individual’s results page!

The funny thing is, if what this race presenter says is true, is that these races have more in place to detect cheaters than a typical race. But I agree, I bet RD'll just say no.....oh wait, Nike's not a sponsor, so I guess they'll "politely respond in the negative" ;)

So... not that I have plans to run one or need a new POT yet (but I will in the near future)...

I don't know about POT, but this is a really cool idea. I wish they had a race near me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter