The Running Thread - 2020

How's it going....hmmmm....besides getting over a stomach bug? (No other COVID symptoms), besides doing PT to try to address the pain caused by my cervical disc issues? besides not really doing much of any physical activity since the end of May? besides finally submitting my taxes on Tuesday and paying the usual $$$......It's going......just ducky!

I am attempting to do some trainer rides--totally upright because any position over the bars and gripping is no good. This is giving me an opportunity to watch Grace and Frankie, one episode at a time (all I can manage). I think the show is a hoot, but I am only on season 1.

On the plus side, no hot summer runs!

Last edited:
I’ve been working from home since mid-March and the time I’ve gotten back from not having to commute has been a blessing. The extra time has allowed me to get more active during the week, typically with 2-5 mile walks during the day and then running in the evening.

I was spinning my wheels a little keeping the running mileage up until I found a local Labor Day ultra that gave me some structure for my training to fill in the summer gap before Dopey training starts in September. Well, at least it did until yesterday when they cancelled the race. It’s hard enough to get out and do runs at T+Ds in the 155-165 range as it is. Take away the race motivation and it was really hard to do that 10 miler last night! I guess I’ll go back to maintaining my base in the 34-36 miles/week range for now.

I enjoy running and hate missing runs, regardless of distance or training status, so I don’t struggle too much with motivation. Right now, getting those runs in is especially important for my mental health cooped up at home so much.

And... They just cancelled the ultra I had scheduled for Labor Day. This one is especially frustrating as I think this race could very easily have been run safely. There are currently only 44 registrants with a cap of 150 for a trail run on an 8 mile loop. I was planning on running it self-sufficiently. Honestly, it’s such a small race I think they just didn’t want to hassle with the extra controls. At least they’re offering refunds...
That stinks, I am really sorry. They could have totally pulled that race off safely.

So how’s everyone doing?
Running, cycling and swimming keep me sane. I am pretty sure my fall triathlon is going to get cancelled, but I enjoy the training (mostly) so I keep plugging along. So, physically all is good right now. Mentally - I am struggling, and I miss "normal" life so very much. But the training helps boost my mood!

I have never been a fan of summer running. Growing up on the west coast I have never really adjusted to the Midwest summer heat. I try to run early or late to avoid the heat of the day and that helps. I am on a slow build to fall so I am not running a lot but sticking to my plan. I do like running for runnings sake but have to admit a goal does help keep me focused. With all the races cancelling I am just hoping to get in a fall Half and that things are ok when Dopey gets here.

After Dopey I am going to focus on some larger goals But for now I am in a good place and have long term things to keep me moving.

So how’s everyone doing?

I think a few other people have mentioned it, but I have completely lost all motivation to run and it’s too darn hot out to even convince myself that I’ll feel better once I do (even though I know I will). I used to love running on the treadmill but today it felt like the worst chore in the world.

One of my goals for this year was to increase weekly mileage, and halfway through July my mileage is looking awful, especially after all the strides I made in March-May.

I think I attacked this lockdown with so much gusto and “can-do” attitude that I’ve completely exhausted my motivation and positivity for the rest of the year.

So tell me how you’re doing, I can’t be the only one feeling this way....
Motivation is in higher supply than I would have guessed, time management is the downfall of my mileage target. Summer school & two working adults trading off to care for the kiddos leaves less flexibility to move around runs due to weather or because I was up late working and overslept. We’ve had some bouts of thunderstorms which have been helpful to drop the temperature and humidity but make it hard when they hit during the only time I could go out- I wish I had a treadmill as an alternative but that seems unlikely.

I'm still struggling to get up early in the morning and run before work--it's hard to find the motivation to get out of bed and go do something difficult even though I know it'll just be harder to run in the evening. Been pushing myself to still get out and do those evening runs, but it means I'm not hitting my targets for pace on the short runs--just getting out and doing half an hour at all in the late day heat is about the max. Even today--meant to get out around 7:00 this morning for my 7 miles, didn't get out the door until 9:00. But I got it done! Ran it faster than I should have according to my magic mile data, but I've got places to be this afternoon and couldn't afford to take more time.

Speaking of the magic mile, it's still awful but it went surprisingly well last week--shaved more than half a minute off my time. Still hate it. Hate it so much. But I'm getting a little more confident about doing it, so that's a positive.

Random note--does anyone else's dog obsess about sunscreen? I started using Banana Boat and my dog will not leave me alone before or after a run; she is desperate to lick it off of me. I don't let her, of course, but it's been...well, hilarious and also frustrating.

Ran 4 miles on Saturday. Walked around another 0.75 including my warmup and cooldown. Getting a little faster (FINALLY got under an 11min/mi average) but still annoyed that the first 3-3.5 miles feel like i'm running in mud. Trying to increase my cadence and it's just soooooooo hard for me! I don't know if part of the problem is that i'm on the treadmill or if it's just that my legs don't wanna.

Trying to increase my cadence and it's just soooooooo hard for me! I don't know if part of the problem is that i'm on the treadmill or if it's just that my legs don't wanna.

Have you ever done "strides"? Short gradual pickups of speed that are 10-20 seconds in total? Not the easiest thing to do on the treadmill though. But one of the purposes of strides is to help make the neuromuscular connection to aid in a faster cadence. It's important to do these with good form.

Strides are short bursts of speed that last no more than 10 seconds. They shouldn't be a sudden burst, but rather a controlled increase in speed (3 sec), maintain (4-5 sec), and then controlled decrease (3 sec). Do no less than 30 seconds (but certainly longer in-between is fine) of continuing the easy run until doing the next stride. You should feel fully recovered between strides before considering doing the next one. The strides should be saved until the last mile of the easy day, or after the easy day is over and post a short stretch (I prefer within my easy run). You should do about 4-5 strides in total.

Motivation hasn't really been a problem. I do like racing but I really just run because I love running. If racing was made permanently illegal I would still run.

In some ways I feel more free now. I can just do the run I want. If I feel like a long trail run I'll go do it. If I want to do 400m repeats I just go do it. Not having to be prepared for a specific race is freeing.

All that being said I do miss the atmosphere of a race so I hope they come back after it is safe to do so.

So how’s everyone doing?

I think a few other people have mentioned it, but I have completely lost all motivation to run and it’s too darn hot out to even convince myself that I’ll feel better once I do (even though I know I will). I used to love running on the treadmill but today it felt like the worst chore in the world.

One of my goals for this year was to increase weekly mileage, and halfway through July my mileage is looking awful, especially after all the strides I made in March-May.

I think I attacked this lockdown with so much gusto and “can-do” attitude that I’ve completely exhausted my motivation and positivity for the rest of the year.

So tell me how you’re doing, I can’t be the only one feeling this way....

I think everything feels so different- it's hard to get any kind of consistency! We can't go 100% all of the time!

I have basically been in isolation since my son was born in December. We stayed in because of the awful flu season here and then I was back in the office for 2 whole days before I was sent to work from home (which I'm still doing). I have got to spend every day with our little guy which is SO great.

I think this whole situation has really made my husband and me reevaluate our priorities and how we spend our time. I have regained 2+ hours each day that I spent getting ready for work and commuting and I don't think I want to ever give those back. I've been able to be fairly consistent with running, and although I'm not getting any super long runs in, I am getting a 3-5 runs in each week.

I think this whole situation has really made my husband and me reevaluate our priorities and how we spend our time. I have regained 2+ hours each day that I spent getting ready for work and commuting and I don't think I want to ever give those back.

YES!!!! So much yes to this. I hope that the silver lining coming out of this pandemic is that companies allow for much more workplace flexibility going forward. I love skipping the commute and getting dressed up every day. While it's hot as heck and I'm trying to get my runs in reasonably early, I'm also enjoying not having to get up at 5:00 am to get my runs in before commuting to work.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed, but not shocked that they cancelled MCM. I also feel sorry for the whole tourism industry during this mess. Apparently the race added 100 million dollars to the local economy.

It is good that they're allowing deferral rather than taking the full fee for a virtual run a la Broad Street.

I may even sign up for one of the virtual races, specifically the 50km. I turn 31 in October, and last year I completed 30 miles on my birthday, so why not keep the streak alive this year with a medal?

I have regained 2+ hours each day that I spent getting ready for work and commuting and I don't think I want to ever give those back.
So much this! I only live 4 miles from my office, but in peak season (FL beaches) traffic, I'm on the road 45 minutes each way. I'm loving not having to deal with that. I know eventually I'll have to go back because we have a boss who likes seeing people at their desks, regardless of the fact that most of us can easily do 100% of our work anywhere there's Internet, but I don't see me ever going back to full hair and makeup or any clothing that isn't comfortable.

I am thinking of putting running on the backburner for a bit. Once lockdown started, I decided to cycle to work (instead of using public transport). I also started doing Peloton's bodyweight strength training exercise. Been having various niggles in my left leg - nothing serious or painful, but probably a sign I need to slow down a bit. With swimming pools starting to open again, I think I might reduce the running and work on building up strength a bit more.

Have you ever done "strides"? Short gradual pickups of speed that are 10-20 seconds in total? Not the easiest thing to do on the treadmill though. But one of the purposes of strides is to help make the neuromuscular connection to aid in a faster cadence. It's important to do these with good form.

I have not. Sounds like something I can definitely work in though, and should include. I honestly don’t know/understand a lot of the training jargon. “Speed work” “easy run” (because every run sucks tight now and none of them are easy and if I run slower it seems even harder??) “tempo run” and so on. I’m basically hopping on the treadmill and trying to get my walk intervals down to 30sec (1min feels a LOT better at this point) and my run intervals to a higher speed (it’s always at least 6, and I’m now able to maintain 6.2ish for my 3mi runs and have been pushing the first mile up to around 6.5-6.7)

My goal is to be able to run the 10k in February at a 9mm pace. And to finish a half in October...holding off on registration for that though since 13 miles just sounds too scary right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter