The Running Thread - 2020

Stats:
Time PeriodActivitiesTotal DistanceAverage PaceAverage Heart Rate
Jun 202017245.65 mi11:23 min/mi137 bpm
May 202021257.91 mi10:51 min/mi136 bpm
Slowing down due to the increase in temperatures in Houston. Trying to get past a minor soleus strain from early June. I managed a 100 mile run last weekend but it was tough during the heat of the day. Running is helping maintain sanity during these challenging times.

June Totals:

Total Miles - 44.69 mi
Total Time - 6:26:01
Average Pace - 8:38
Avg HR - 151
Cycle - 14.29 m
hiking/walking - 41.02 m

Took 3 weeks off from running thanks to a bothersome hammy. Thanks to Houston summer and humidity, HR went sky high when I started again, I really need to work on slowing down some. Went on a social distancing trip to Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas panhandle and did a good amount of hiking there. Lived in Texas for 30 plus years, and this was the first time to visit the park, and wonder why we waited so long.

June: 62.6 miles running, 24.1 miles walking

I did a form analysis at the beginning of the month, and have added strength, drills, and cadence work to my routines.

I also hopped back on the HR training band wagon. I’ve failed twice before, but decided to use the summer heat, work stress. and no races to commit - and it’s perfect for right now!!

Still having hip pain and (I think) an ankle
Impingement issue - so that’s a bummer.

Happy 4th!

I'm doing something stupid tomorrow. It includes getting up at 4AM, driving 3 hours, ignoring an Atlanta Police Department warning, possible COVID-19 exposure, and drinking beer in a parking lot at 8AM (not that different than Marathon Weekend). I have an ill-conceived plan: not doing the whole course, not starting at Lenox, obey traffic signals. I'll abort if things are iffy.

Not to hard to figure out what I'm talking about.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy sorry I won’t be there at the finish. I would have a beer waiting for you. We are driving back home tomorrow from Ohio. I am hoping with the holiday the traffic and construction gods will be on our side.

on Sunday we are planning on hiking the AT again Hogpen southbound to Cow Rock, maybe to Wolf Laurel. Not sure how far we can go after the 11 hour car trip. Probably 3 hours and for that trail will be 5 miles.

DW and I just both signed up for the Liberty Road Challenge. We're doing the individual 100-mile virtual individual event. You can run, walk, treadmill, or bike. Its through the National WWII museum in NOLA. Virtual path following the route of the D-Day invasion. There is another event that is 712 miles. That one goes into Belgium. You have from 7/4 to 9/10 to complete the event.

Happy 4th!

I'm doing something stupid tomorrow. It includes getting up at 4AM, driving 3 hours, ignoring an Atlanta Police Department warning, possible COVID-19 exposure, and drinking beer in a parking lot at 8AM (not that different than Marathon Weekend). I have an ill-conceived plan: not doing the whole course, not starting at Lenox, obey traffic signals. I'll abort if things are iffy.

Not to hard to figure out what I'm talking about.
Best wishes for a successful run! I’m up this morning to do my 10K, but without the drive or heartbreak hill!

'Race' Report Faketree 2020

7.33 miles, time 1:06:11, pace 9:01

Wow, what a fun experience!

After I posted my plan, my DW and I had the following discussion:
Me: I have a bad plan for tomorrow.
DW: You're getting up at 4AM and running Peachtree?
Me: Wow, how did you know?
DW: How long have I known you?

I followed through with my plan. I drove down and ran on Peachtree this morning. I've done the same thing for the last 33 years and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I parked at the halfway point, which is also the low point on the course. I started at 7:30. T+D was already around 150. Perfect Peachtree weather! I ran up to the start at Lenox Mall. It was 2.5-3 miles, mostly uphill. I turned around and came back, then ran up Cardiac Hill, turned around and back to my vehicle. I didn't try to run the whole course because of transportation complexity. My only goals were to run on Peachtree and get 6.2 miles in.

I saw approximately 500 other runners doing the same thing, going in both directions. Everyone was smiling, waving, saying good morning, and very polite as we navigated the sidewalks. I saw a couple of spectator-provided bottled water stops. @garneska, it was much like our pre-Olympic Trials run: a celebration of running. I was so happy, I got teary-eyed a couple of times.

Traffic was not a problem. It was light on Peachtree and non-existent on the cross streets. I had to stop twice for cars. Drivers were polite; often waving you ahead even if they had the right-of-way. Traffic was light enough that you could use the inside lane of Peachtree when needed to pass other runners. I was worried that crowding may have been an issue, but it was not.

I finished, put on my 2018 Peachtree shirt (it was the first one I could find), had a couple of illegal parking lot beers, and headed home.

On the way home, I stopped at a big box home improvement store. An employee noticed my 2018 shirt and asked me when I last ran Peachtree. My answer: 'this morning'. It turns out, he's a 25 year streaker. We ended up talking for 25 minutes about Peachtree and running. The perfect finish to a perfect day.

At the 'start':

An oddly empty Lenox Square. What no porta-potties?

At the top of Cardiac Hill:

Last edited:
DW and I just both signed up for the Liberty Road Challenge. We're doing the individual 100-mile virtual individual event. You can run, walk, treadmill, or bike. Its through the National WWII museum in NOLA. Virtual path following the route of the D-Day invasion. There is another event that is 712 miles. That one goes into Belgium. You have from 7/4 to 9/10 to complete the event.

Hmm, WWII museum doing a running event? One that I can actually accomplish in the allotted time since I can log miles as I complete them? Now I am registered too.

Last day to register is today if anyone else is thinking about it.

They also have an interesting webinar on the 9th that is up this history lovers alley.

Hmm, WWII museum doing a running event? One that I can actually accomplish in the allotted time since I can log miles as I complete them? Now I am registered too.

Last day to register is today if anyone else is thinking about it.

They also have an interesting webinar on the 9th that is up this history lovers alley.

That's great!

And, good news: they have extended the registration deadline to July 14th!

'Race' Report Faketree 2020

7.33 miles, time 1:06:11, pace 9:01

Wow, what a fun experience!

After I posted my plan, my DW and I had the following discussion:
Me: I have a bad plan for tomorrow.
DW: You're getting up and 4AM and running Peachtree?
Me: Wow, how did you know?
DW: How long have I known you?

I followed through with my plan. I drove down and ran on Peachtree this morning. I've done the same thing for the last 33 years and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I parked at the halfway point, which is also the low point on the course. I started at 7:30. T+D was already around 150. Perfect Peachtree weather! I ran up to the start at Lenox Mall. It was 2.5-3 miles, mostly uphill. I turned around and came back, then ran up Cardiac Hill, turned around and back to my vehicle. I didn't try to run the whole course because of transportation complexity. My only goals were to run on Peachtree and get 6.2 miles in.

I saw approximately 500 other runners doing the same thing, going in both directions. Everyone was smiling, waving, saying good morning, and very polite as we navigated the sidewalks. I saw a couple of spectator-provided bottled water stops. @garneska, it was much like our pre-Olympic Trials run: a celebration of running. I was so happy, I got teary-eyed a couple of times.

Traffic was not a problem. It was light on Peachtree and non-existent on the cross streets. I had to stop twice for cars. Drivers were polite; often waving you ahead even if they had the right-of-way. Traffic was light enough that you could use the inside lane of Peachtree when needed to pass other runners. I was worried that crowding may have been an issue, but it was not.

I finished, put on my 2018 Peachtree shirt (it was the first one I could find), had a couple of illegal parking lot beers, and headed home.

On the way home, I stopped at a big box home improvement store. An employee noticed my 2018 shirt and asked me when I last ran Peachtree. My answer: 'this morning'. It turns out, he's a 25 year streaker. We ended up talking for 25 minutes about Peachtree and running. The perfect finish to a perfect day.

At the 'start':

View attachment 506437

An oddly empty Lenox Square. What no porta-potties?

View attachment 506438

At the top of Cardiac Hill:

View attachment 506439

Last few 4th of Julys have been running local events - we used to be down in the Myrtle Beach area and did the 5k/8k. I remember the last time I ran it the T+D at 7:30 was north of 160.

Today was a virtual 7.4k (second annual) - and it was just brutal - felt like 88 at the end with no wind.

I was wondering about Peachtree this morning - such a big race. Sounds like the great plan and well executed. I count the streak alive.

Happy 4th!

Race Report!!

Orange Beach Shark Run 5k July 4th and 2.5 Road/Beach Shark Attach Challenge July 5th!

We ran the Shark 5k on Saturday. We usually only run the runDisney races and another local 12k in November but we chose to do “real” races this summer instead of virtual. And then Coronavirus! April’s race was cancelled and Memorial Day was postponed until August but the 4th of July Shark Race happened!

Over 350 registered but I think slightly over 100 actually ran. I’m used to Disney crowds so it may have been more. The field was appropriately spread out and the course was flat. We ran our run/walk ratio of 30/30 and while it was hot(heat index of 92) we PR’d at 40:11 with an average pace of 12’56”.

Today was the 2.5 mile “Shark Attack” part beach/part road run. The road part was all uphill and beach running just sucks! The whole thing was a struggle in the heat but when my shoes got soaked, I felt like they weighed 75 lbs! We finished but no records were set. I think a turtle may have passed us on the beach part!

We celebrated with after race Poly Captain’s Mai Tais though.

I was super glad to get out and run a real event!

C9E8A09B-4652-4FD0-A7E2-C0565D8C8C0A.jpeg7A1265AD-7B0F-4A7B-831C-995B33F66871.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, this was one of the very few 4th of July holidays I didn't do any races since I started running. My Amazon Photos "this year in history" was as little walk down memory lane of all the races I've done through the years. Three of my favorites events are all 4th of July races.

Did anyone get in an actual race this weekend other than what was already posted here? We did have one in person event here but I think even with the precautions in person racing is still too much of a risk for me to even consider it.

I don't have data from June because I haven't actually been syncing my Garmin to the app. Hopefully it hasn't lost any of the data I've been failing to collect from it. I think I'm a little afraid of what I'll learn from it even though I've been putting in good effort. Today I'm going to set up my whiteboard with the new month's training plan, so today is probably also a good time to get my data in order, do some analysis, and be honest with myself about where I am and where I need to get to. Next week is another magic mile and I'm going to make myself actually do it, though I think I'll go with informal run/walk breaks instead of setting intervals and just do what feels right--see where that gets me. Need to also give myself plenty of time to warm up and get loose so I'm not psyching myself out and running it too tense.

As I mentioned the last time I dropped in here, I lost a solid week of training to a head cold. The good news is that I started the 29 week Galloway plan a few weeks early to give myself cushion around a few events as well as a little extra in case something went wrong, so it was just a minor adjustment to bump things back one week. The bad news is that I wasn't expecting to use my emergency cushion so early!! If I get sick or injured again it's going to be a bigger reconfiguration to work around it, so fingers crossed things go smoothly from here on.

My sinuses are still gunky and I was nervous that a run would leave me breathless and give me a bad experience that'd make it harder to get back into things, so today I harnessed up the dog and did my 5.5 miles at a walking pace. Very very slow since the water breaks each mile take a lot longer when I'm trying to get Penny to drink, but I'm feeling pretty good afterward.

4cuuB4tjUrPHRc9GndN6Hz.jpg

3ZSxdZjVslIaXQM41ZB3nk.jpg

Has anybody learned about a race being canceled in a newspaper by declaration of a city official while hearing nothing from the race organizers (Rock’n’Roll)? Not that I was surprised that it is not happening, no request for permit was ever filed for it this year. Makes me review my priorities on what to look for when shopping for a race: How they treat the participants prior to, during and in absence of a race.

June Totals:
I am a bit late with these totals. Not too much to report this month anyway. Work has been absolutely insane and coupled with the heat I had a month of struggling to stay on schedule. But I am happy to say it was also a month of pain free running! Here is hoping that remains the same as mileages begins to build in August and into the fall.

Run: 68 miles
Bike: 182 miles
Walk: 90 miles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter