• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

ATTQOTD: I did my first race at a local 5k during my 2nd trimester. I didn't race it (baby on board) but I was still surprised how slow my time was.

If we're talking school, I remember running laps for a fundraiser in elementary school and thinking how easy it was and how I was beating all the boys. Then I hit the "PE and physical activity is not cool" phase, but my competitive side came out when running a mile in high school and I heard a girl behind me and I could not let her get in front of me. I don't know how fast I ran it (sub 7?) but I promptly threw up in a trash can afterwards.

QOTD: I don't think we have answered this one here before but what was your first race? What was the distance? Where was it? Anything else special about it?

My first race was the Monument Ave. 10k in Richmomd. One fond memory is standing in my corral before the start and looking across to the other lanes of the street and watching the winner finish.

ATTQOTD: My first race was mickey's holiday 5k this year. It was special to me because after a year being bedridden, followed by years I struggled to walk any distance, I've finally gotten back to being able to run. I'm still pretty slow but I can actually push myself a little and am improving. I know if I am patient, consistent, and careful I'll be as fast as I used to be eventually.

But that was like the best relay to watch from what I remember as the throwers seemed to have a lot of fun with it :)

LOL, yeah.... I'd say the crowd's stomachs were sore due to all of the laughing. It's too bad I can't get the video to work because it is pretty hilarious. However, we were undefeated for three straight years. Although, we had a ringer. A 6'7" 250 pound TE who eventually played at Clemson. He was a BEAST in the 100m and actually ran the 100m as a solo event as well.

ATTQOTD: My first ever race was a 10k by my YMCA this past April, only to feel how a race felt, as I was scheduled to do the dark side half marathon 2 weeks after. I only decided to start running last year, because we were in Chicago during the marathon and I saw the runners beaming with their medals after. I was exercising a lot but wanted to be able to show something for it. That's when I decided I would run at least one half marathon. I did not know I was gonna enjoy it. Since then I have run a few halfs and a full under 4 hours, running my first dopey in january, and have set my eyes on Boston. :)

My first race was the Monument Ave. 10k in Richmomd. One fond memory is standing in my corral before the start and looking across to the other lanes of the street and watching the winner finish.

The race is so big now (30,000+ runners) they dont start on the same street. We run a bit on Broad then cut over. Monument Ave was my second race. I remember making the turn onto Monument as the elites were finishing. I got to see Tyler McCandless closing in on Paul Chelimo. I like to say that my first major race was against Olympians.

If I think way back, my first race was actually a 1 mile kid run when I was maybe 6 or 7? It was in Indianapolis at Butler University when my Dad was running a longer race and we all got Blue Bunny ice cream cups as our prize.
For my adult running career I walked to a local 5k on a whim, "March 4 Meg", and I started off walking and then about a mile+ in I started run/walk random intervals because I felt like it. Was un-timed, still no idea how I did. Was so nervous that once I crossed the finish...I walked straight home! No grabbing food or water or watching anyone else....just kept going right home. In hindsight, I bet I did at least 5 miles round trip. Never really had that realization until right now, hah!

Catching up - been decorating the home exterior for Christmas!

QOTD: “WOULD YOU RATHER”: DIS-RUNNER EDITION! Answer A or B (reasoning welcome)

Race in thick jeans OR An itchy wool sweater

Free entries+flights to races for a year OR Free shoes for a year (you can stockpile!)

Harassed by bees OR Chased by an angry Chihuahua (you can kick the dog)

Race through WDW with no characters OR Race at home with Disney characters (I'd rather be in WDW for any reason)

GPS runs out of batteries pre-race OR Drop your headphones in the porta-potty

Bonus Dole Whip Aid Stations OR Bonus Mickey Waffle Aid Stations

“We’ve run out of free food” OR “We’ve run out of free beer” (never run out of beer!)

Uphill course with perfect weather OR Downhill course and 100+F heat

Last place in the Olympics vs First place at every small local race this year (free trip to the olympics!)

Straight out and back marathon with no scenery OR 26+ one mile laps (I would never run again if my only option was one mile laps)

Only Winter training for a Spring race OR Summer training for a Fall race

Blink in every picture but your form looks perfect OR Face looks great but form is schlumpy mess (good form means that I feel great)

Handed only money at every aid station OR get charged for water&fuel at every aid station (I can carry my own fuel/liquid)

WDW triathlon 2018 or WDW marathon team relay 2018

Wear a red sparkle skirt OR A pink sparkle visor

QOTD: I don't think we have answered this one here before but what was your first race? What was the distance? Where was it? Anything else special about it?

I would say that my first "race" was my two mile PT test run at the end of basic training in 1985. I ran it in 11:05, which was fast enough to max the test. I also maxed the pushup and sit-up portions of the PT test, which made me one of only two people in my battalion to totally max the test in my training cycle.

I thought that I was in great shape - and then I started my real training when I got to my post - 10th Mountain Division is no joke! :scared:

QOTD: my first ever race was a local 5k in town - I'd say 1991-92ish? I was 11 or 12 at the time - and it's still one of my fastest 5ks to this day (21:09 - sticks in my head because it was exactly divisible by 3) and I got a trophy!

I highly doubt I'll ever run that fast again - but it's fun to think back on! Also kind of fun to realize how long I've been a runner - though I had some time off between then and now, it's something I've always come back to :)

QOTD: “WOULD YOU RATHER”: DIS-RUNNER EDITION! Answer A or B (reasoning welcome)

Race in thick jeans OR An itchy wool sweater I actually have seen people run in jeans. I get so itchy in wool though. I do not need to break out in a rash while running.

Free entries+flights to races for a year OR Free shoes for a year (you can stockpile!) This would work better for me realistically, BUT if I'm dreaming, I'm in the best shape of my life and doing all the Disney races.

Harassed by bees OR Chased by an angry Chihuahua

Race through WDW with no characters OR Race at home with Disney characters Easy. I'm still at WDW, even if there are no characters.

GPS runs out of batteries pre-race
OR Drop your headphones in the porta-potty

Bonus Dole Whip Aid Stations
OR Bonus Mickey Waffle Aid Stations A Dole Whip would be so good during a race! I love having one when I'm hot.

“We’ve run out of free food” OR “We’ve run out of free beer” I don't drink. I know...I know...

Uphill course with perfect weather
OR Downhill course and 100+F heat That's a tough one! I hate hills, but I get so hot when I run anyway! I can't deal with running in heat.

Last place in the Olympics
vs First place at every small local race this year I'd still be in the OLYMPICS. I'd take last any day.

Straight out and back marathon with no scenery OR 26+ one mile laps I would hate having no scenery, but I think 1 mile laps would make me crazy.

Only Winter training for a Spring race
OR Summer training for a Fall race I handle cold a lot better than heat. I can run in below freezing weather in short sleeves.

Blink in every picture but your form looks perfect
OR Face looks great but form is schlumpy mess At least I could admire my good form!

Handed only money at every aid station OR get charged for water&fuel at every aid station I'd take it! I can bring my own fuel and water!

WDW triathlon 2018 or WDW marathon team relay 2018 I don't swim or own a bike!

Wear a red sparkle skirt OR A pink sparkle visor This one's easy. I already have a pink sparkle visor!

:)
So, bad news for me. My hip has been hurting some. Started a few weeks ago as just a little nagging pain, then I took off a week (admittedly, only because work travel made it hard to run). Well, it got worse (though never really that bad), but yesterday I was limping all day. Went to ortho urgent care, and I'm looking at either a hip flexor strain or tendinitis or a femoral neck stress fracture. [Where is my sobbing emoji?] I can't get in for an MRI until next Wednesday, and obviously no running until we know for sure it's not a fracture. I'm just devastated and going crazy worried that I'm out.

Just needed to express that to some folks who I knew would understand. Want to help me convince myself it's not broken? Lol.

Here's hoping it's not broken! I have a long history of hip injury myself, and it's not broken.

I think I may have been part of walking a Relay for Life in high school, but I'd count the 2013 Biggest Loser 5K. I went out way too fast and changed my intervals during it, so it wasn't pretty...but I finished! I got a medal and I cried. It was amazing.

I ran 10 miles today after running 20 miles yesterday. I have never done that before, but found it to be remarkably easy. I ran more than a minute/mile faster today than yesterday and maintained an average heart rate of 133 bpm. This is finally getting easy for me again.

Now I am off to see Fantastic Beasts with my boys!

Hey all - I'm in need of a little pre-marathon weekend pep talk.

I'm signed up for my first Goofy. This year, WDW was my first full marathon. I've been mostly keeping to the Galloway training schedule, with a few modifications for race weekends. I also do a lot of cross-training (barre, yoga, kickboxing). I feel a lot more fit than I did prior to the marathon last year. But, I've been feeling really tired these past few weeks and its making me worried about completing the Goofy Challenge. I did all three races at Avengers Super Heroes weekend last week, plus did some park touring. Nothing crazy, but still a lot of cumulative miles. By mile 11 of the half I felt like garbage. It was hot (70 degrees and full sun at the end...which always feels hot for me when I'm running). On the plus side, I finished the half in a better time than I've ever had for a runDisney half (still slower than my actual half PR time, but I expect that considering all the times I stop to take pictures).

After the Avengers Half, I had this moment of realizing it's less than two months until I'll be doing back-to-back half and full marathons, and at that moment I was just feeling like I couldn't do it. I am (mostly) on track for my training, so maybe I just need to trust that the training plan got me through the marathon last year and stay focused on that. I've missed some of the runs during the week due to some IT band pains, but I've hit all of the long runs, which for me is the big deal because the psychological challenge of being out on the road for multiple hours is a huge part of my training process. I average about a 13-14 minute mile on run-walk-run, so the long runs for Goofy training take a good amount of time.

I'm just feeling slightly disillusioned with running right now, and overwhelmed by Goofy, and on top of that it looks like my husband (my own personal cheering section) will not be able to join me for marathon weekend due to a work trip, which is making me feel even less excited about the trip.

So, after all this whining, I guess my questions to the group are:

1. How do you help yourself overcome the mental hurdles when you feel like you're tired and the goal race seems like it'll be unbearably long?

2. How do you deal with having to do a runDisney race weekend solo? I'm hoping to meet up with some various running group people, and one of my friends might be able to come cheer me on for the marathon, but otherwise I think I'll be going solo for the weekend, which is making me feel like it won't be a very fun trip. The accomplishment of finishing the Goofy Challenge just seems less exciting without someone there to share it with me.

1. How do you help yourself overcome the mental hurdles when you feel like you're tired and the goal race seems like it'll be unbearably long?

I've done 3 Goofys. A trick that works for me is to never think of the full distance. I think of it as 3 half marathons and think only about the one I am currently running. When you hit 13.1 on Sunday you want to say to yourself 'Great, just a half marathon to go!'. Not 'Oh God, I already ran 26.2 miles and I still have to do another 13.1?"

I also try to always stay focused on making the next mile marker appear. That keeps me focused on a small, obtainable goal.

Like the old saying: 'How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.'

Hey all - I'm in need of a little pre-marathon weekend pep talk.

2. How do you deal with having to do a runDisney race weekend solo? I'm hoping to meet up with some various running group people, and one of my friends might be able to come cheer me on for the marathon, but otherwise I think I'll be going solo for the weekend, which is making me feel like it won't be a very fun trip. The accomplishment of finishing the Goofy Challenge just seems less exciting without someone there to share it with me.

I was in a similar situation to you a his year's WDWMW. I had not been able to train at all from late September through Thanksgiving and was faced with the 10k + Goofy solo.

From a solo trip standpoint:
Focus on the positives of being there solo. You have complete freedom to approach the weekend in the best way for your running without having to worry about negatively impacting someone else's WDW vacation. Feeling like something specific to eat pre or post race? Do it. Legs tired and need to stay at the room between races? Do it. No worries about keeping someone else from getting to the parks. Not having my wife there at the end of the marathon was a bummer, no way around it, but we were in touch via text and phone and runner tracking. It was exciting gettin home and reliving the experience telling her all about it, though.

From a long races standpoint:
At heart, I think @OldSlowGoofyGuy has it right. One bite at a time. Some things that help include striking up a conversation with folks around you. I'm as introverted and shy in person as they come. It can be done and it keeps your mind off the road. Watch for the next band and character spot. Make up mind games as you go. What's he next character stop going to be? What's going to be on the next mile marker? Split the race up. I like looking at the marathon as 4 10ks with a short five k to finish. I can do anything for five k.

Ultimately just go out there and enjoy yourself. As much as I would have liked my wife to be there, it was nice in another way being on my own. There was no pressure of someone being at the finish waiting. No worry about letting them down if I didn't make it. If I had to step off due to fatigue or injury, it was just me to be considered. That feeling was liberating and let me relax and go with the experience and flow.

You're going to do great. Just relax, finish your last few weeks of training and enjoy the fruits of all that training come Marathon Weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter