The Plaza or Columbia HH?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
I have an 11:15 lunch ressie at the Plaza. We usually get to MK by 9ish and hit a few rides before lunch (haven't made our FP yet, we are going last week of Feb-first week of March). This was the only sit down I could get . My DD loves grilled cheese and tomato soup and I see they have this on the menu.

My question is, should I keep this earlier ressie at the Plaza or cancel and go to Columbia HH a bit later? However, I have read that CHH can get really crowded at lunch time! As you can see, I am weighing pros and cons here and would appreciate any feedback.
Thank you!

I would do CHH. I have never been to the Plaza so I can't compare the two, but CHH is really good. It can get crowded, but there are lots of seats. It's one of our favs! If you want the more relaxing sit down experience of begin served, stick with the Plaza.

I would keep Plaza. Their food is good an you'll have a chance to sit and relax. CHH will be busy and crowded at lunch. It's hectic in there and sometimes there is trouble finding a table. Also keep in mind that an 11:15 lunch doesn't mean you're eating at 11:15. There is usually a few minutes wait to be seated, then ordering, etc.

I have an 11:15 lunch ressie at the Plaza. We usually get to MK by 9ish and hit a few rides before lunch (haven't made our FP yet, we are going last week of Feb-first week of March). This was the only sit down I could get . My DD loves grilled cheese and tomato soup and I see they have this on the menu.

My question is, should I keep this earlier ressie at the Plaza or cancel and go to Columbia HH a bit later? However, I have read that CHH can get really crowded at lunch time! As you can see, I am weighing pros and cons here and would appreciate any feedback.
Thank you!
A charming, table service restaurant versus not your ordinary fast food place.

I like both apples and oranges.

I may be in the minority, but I didn't love The Plaza. We had lunch at that same time, and I got the Fried Green Tomato sandwich, and I found it to be totally bland. Of course, I'm Southern, and I make fried green tomatoes myself, and they are The. Best. so I might have just had too high expectations. On the other hand, I LOVE Columbia Harbor House. Yes, it can be difficult to find a table, but the food is fantastic!

I vote for CHH. We like the food there. Plus if you have only gotten to the park at 9ish do you want to be tied to a reservation that soon? I guess that depends on the fast passes that you are able to get and how much breakfast you had.

I would say CHH for lunch, HOWEVER I would still plan on the early time to eat (before 11:30). We always make it a point to have an early lunch if we are doing quick service in any park as you will have your pick of tables. And when you are finishing your meal you will see the hordes of people showing up at noon! I would argue that grabbing a table on the second floor of CHH by a window is just as relaxing as any table service restaurant at MK. Plus, you will be able to finish up quicker than if you were being served by a waiter, and you can choose to just relax there or move on to more touring. I know that sometimes, for us, when we are having lunch in a park sometimes we get antsy with the waiter taking a while to give us the check/pay out, so we can move on with our day.

I would say CHH for lunch, HOWEVER I would still plan on the early time to eat (before 11:30). We always make it a point to have an early lunch if we are doing quick service in any park as you will have your pick of tables. And when you are finishing your meal you will see the hordes of people showing up at noon! I would argue that grabbing a table on the second floor of CHH by a window is just as relaxing as any table service restaurant at MK. Plus, you will be able to finish up quicker than if you were being served by a waiter, and you can choose to just relax there or move on to more touring. I know that sometimes, for us, when we are having lunch in a park sometimes we get antsy with the waiter taking a while to give us the check/pay out, so we can move on with our day.

Totally agree with all of the above. Eating at an off time makes a big difference at any off the MK QS places. CHH has that fabulous tuna sandwich, too. Yummy!

I enjoy the Plaza if I have to eat at MK, but almost always just go back to the hotel via Epcot and eat food there/by the pool. The Plaza is quite good though especially compared to CHH, which I made the mistake of trying based on online reviews, and thought it was as bad as I remember Long John Silvers/Captain D's being. Seriously, we chucked the food, and headed to Epcot were I grabbed a reservation for Spice Road table and about half an hour later, we were sitting by the lagoon.

I only ate the Plaza for dinner and we were very disappointed to say the least.

If you head right into CHH when it first opens, there will be plenty of seating, especially upstairs. There's some great people watching to be had from the windows up there, too. With the money you'll save from not going to the Plaza, you can buy a snack if you get hungry before dinner.

A lot of people don't realize that the Plaza and LTT are more or less in the same price range now. For the money, I'd rather go to LTT. A cancellation is bound to pop up.

Tough call, I really love the food at both! CHH has a great tuna sandwich...but the plaza has a better variety. Honestly i'd stick with the plaza. Food is a bit better in my opinion. Better variety too. Plus i love the atmosphere. BTW, they have the BEST fries ever!

Been to both, like them about the same. We always get to park for rope drop, therefore, early lunch is a must. Never had a problem getting a spot at CCH. Usually as we are leaving round 12:15, the place is packed. CCH will be cheaper. Loved it better CCH when it had a good-enough-for-me lobster roll. Just an idea, if the soup thing is important. When we were there a few times back, the Pinocchio restaurant had a tomato bisque soup served with garlic/Parmesan knots that was very tasty. Can't go wrong with either choice. Son had a Brisket burger at Plaza that was excellent.

Last edited:
I vote for The Plaza, but have never been to CHH. The Plaza is one of our favorite TS places because the food is good and it's reasonably priced. I didn't see when you are going, but it's also a nice relief from the sun to sit in the AC and have someone bring your food to you. Not the chaos of CS where you have to stand in line to order then find a table, etc. I find that very stressful at times.

I enjoy the Plaza if I have to eat at MK, but almost always just go back to the hotel via Epcot and eat food there/by the pool. The Plaza is quite good though especially compared to CHH, which I made the mistake of trying based on online reviews, and thought it was as bad as I remember Long John Silvers/Captain D's being. Seriously, we chucked the food, and headed to Epcot were I grabbed a reservation for Spice Road table and about half an hour later, we were sitting by the lagoon.
This is what we used to do, but now with DD age 4, this is a lot of travel for her. We need to stay at the park.

Been to both, like them about the same. We always get to park for rope drop, therefore, early lunch is a must. Never had a problem getting a spot at CCH. Usually as we are leaving round 12:15, the place is packed. CCH will be cheaper. Loved it better CCH when it had a good-enough-for-me lobster roll. Just an idea, if the soup thing is important. When we were there a few times back, the Pinocchio restaurant had a tomato bisque soup served with garlic/Parmesan knots that was very tasty. Can't go wrong with either choice. Son had a Brisket burger at Plaza that was excellent.
Yes, I have toyed with the idea of Pinocchio but the latest reviews on Tripadvisor are abysmal.

If you head right into CHH when it first opens, there will be plenty of seating, especially upstairs. There's some great people watching to be had from the windows up there, too. With the money you'll save from not going to the Plaza, you can buy a snack if you get hungry before dinner.

A lot of people don't realize that the Plaza and LTT are more or less in the same price range now. For the money, I'd rather go to LTT. A cancellation is bound to pop up.
Our original plan was to go to LTT but then they changed the menu to all you can eat, and it is much more expensive and not really what we want for a lunch. The eliminated a lot of the options that looked good to us.

Our original plan was to go to LTT but then they changed the menu to all you can eat, and it is much more expensive and not really what we want for a lunch. The eliminated a lot of the options that looked good to us.

When did they change lunch to AYCTE? Sheesh, I really haven't been paying attention. Well, I'm glad I ate there one last time in April.

This is what we used to do, but now with DD age 4, this is a lot of travel for her. We need to stay at the park.

Makes sense and the ac and relative quiet of the Plaza is pretty nice. The food is good and very consistent! I do wish they'd sell like half a sandwich or something because over probably 20 trips to the Plaza, I have once had room for desert!

I'd definitely do The Plaza. To sit down and have a good meal for not much more than what you'd pay at CHH is a no brainer in my estimation. CHH food is pretty good for quick service, but The Plaza is definitely a step above. Plus, ICE CREAM!!!!

When did they change lunch to AYCTE? Sheesh, I really haven't been paying attention. Well, I'm glad I ate there one last time in April.
They changed about a month ago. Horrible decision in my book. Don't think we'll be back as long as they keep it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter