The Pirates of the Caribbean Chess Scene

rastahomie

Registered
Hey All - I'm looking for some informed discussion about the scene in the PotC queue where two skeletal pirates are playing chess. I've heard rumors about the setup (namely, that the pieces on the board are set in a stalemate; or that they were originally intended to be a stalemate but have since been moved).

I've seen some pics on the net of the scene, and it's obvious that the pieces are moved from time to time. It's also obvious that, on at least one occasion, whoever moved the pieces had no idea how to play chess, as there was a pawn stuck at the intersection of four squares.

Can anyone provide a pic of the chess setup as it looks today? Also, can anyone confirm or deny the rumor that the scene was originally supposed to be a stalemate?

Thanks!

I don't know about a stale mate. I think it might depend on whose move it is. If it's white's move, than he has mate by going Queen to king's-rook-5. If it's black's move, his pawn is 1 move from being upgraded and then will be in position to take white's queen if he moves to king's-rook-5.

^Yeah when I saw the movie I was hoping there would be a nod to this scene and there would be a couple of pirates playing chess. Alas, no. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter