• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The perfectly cooked egg

The nice thing about the IP is that it is a multi-functional appliance. It works as a slow cooker, I sautee in it, I pressure cook in it. I use it as a rice cooker daily, I make incredible cheesecakes in it. It can take the toughest piece of meat and cook it so tender! So when my crockpot broke, I didn't replace it since I have the IP-same with my rice cooker.

That sounds awesome! I honestly pretty much passed it over in the sales this holiday season and 2015 when they were on massive sales. Funnily enough I even bought one for my grandmother the year before for Christmas as that's what my mom said she wanted and never read enough about it to want one. But you're selling me now! I am a crockpot addict (working/single mom lifesaver!) and I :love: cheesecake more than I can even express, but have never made a "good" one, only mediocre ones so I may just buy one for that! Dang it. Now I'm going to have to read more :surfweb:

Start in cold water.Bring to a boil,simmer 15 minutes.Take off heat,pour off water,then shake pan vigorously to crack the eggs.Blast with running cold water til cool.Also,to test and see if an egg is hard cooked,take it out of the water,stand it on the end,and spin like a top.If it spins evenly,it's done.If woobley,not.Cold water stops the cooking so you won't have the ring around the yolk.

OP here, so interesting to see how many different ways everyone uses to cook their eggs!

I think this guy is onto something. For years I cooked eggs by putting them into boiling water carefully and shells came off relatively easily. The thing I didn't like was when some cracked and made a big mess in the water, and some were wasted (or the dog got the cracked ones). So it was fairly recently we started using the cold water method. That could be the issue. I'll have to play around with it some more.

That's what the white vinegar in the water is for. If the egg cracks, it's supposed to keep the egg from running out and making a mess in the water. That's what I read somewhere. I put it in whenever I happen to think about it.

I hadn't even thought of it that way. But then, I seem to be ok with eating full grown chickens, so I guess I'll keep eating the unborn ones. ;)
Well, actually, they aren't unborn chickens. Most eggs are unfertilized. They're just an egg.

Im very particular about my soft boiled eggs, my dad raised me and brother on them for Sunday morning meals: lower slowly into simmering water, Dad takes an even 6mins, I take 5mins 13seconds..lol, after 31 yrs I swear its MY perfect soft boiled egg.

If you are going to use the hard boiled eggs that day, regardless of the time you choose to cook them for, after you drain the water, give the eggs a good hard swirl in the empty pot letting them gently crack one another, then cover them with cold water and some ice cubes. This allows the cool water to creep between the shell and the egg white/inner membrane making peeling very easy when you're ready to do so. But obviously it is not a method made for portable, long lasting snacks as you have now cracked its organic "container". I forget which Food Network cutie taught me this, but years later it has worked many times:yay:

I've never seen a hard boiled egg without a grey ring, so I must always have over cooked egges, including store bought. Actually, one of the ones I had today had the grey ring but the very center of the yolk wasn't completely cooked.
Yeah a lot of people screw up hard boiled eggs

IMG_0051.JPG

I put the eggs in cold water. Once it starts to boil, I set a timer for 10 mins. At the end of 10 mins, I put them in ice water for a few mins. They peel easily and are cooked perfectly. I've used this method all my life and my mother cooked them this way too.

This is the way I hard boil eggs as well. I get a nice yellow yolk. If I don't ha be time to wait for a pot of water to boil I'll cook them in my egg cooker.

I agree with a pp the age of the egg makes a difference in how well they peel.

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned steamed eggs. DFIL recently taught me this, and I will never hard cook an egg another way. No special appliance needed, just a steamer basket for your pot. Put 1 inch of water in the bottom of the pot, bring to a boil with eggs in the steamer basket. Cover, let steam for 16 minutes. Put the under cold water immediately. I have never had one not peel easily & cleanly, regardless of the age of the eggs. Easy peasy!

I am going to try this, thanks. :) I am always steaming veggies and have plenty of steamer pots.

Are you turning off the burner for the 16 minutes or leaving it on? I assume turning off, because the water may boil away in less that 16 minutes, right?

Speaking of eggs....

ae6c128f122853007ad3fa8edc65ca97.jpg

Not sure they screw them up. Different people just are used to them different ways.

If there is a sulfur ring, then they are screwed up, LOL. Well...maybe screwed up isn't the right word, as they are totally edible that way (and it happens a LOT), but it is not a perfect egg. Hard boiled eggs should not have that greenish grey ring. If they do, then something did go wrong during the cooking process.

If there is a sulfur ring, then they are screwed up, LOL. Well...maybe screwed up isn't the right word, as they are totally edible that way (and it happens a LOT), but it is not a perfect egg. Hard boiled eggs should not have that greenish grey ring. If they do, then something did go wrong during the cooking process.
LOL. The eggs I prepared last night and ate this morning....have no ring, go figure. If you search Google hard boiled eggs under images, most have gray rings.

:idea: I saw something funny last night on Instagram. Someone took an egg and put it in the middle of a long sock. Holding both ends of the sock, they spun it around for a while, then they put the egg in boiling water. When it was done, and peeled, it came out as a "scrambled" hard boiled egg.

We eat a lot of eggs, so thanks to this thread I researched egg cookers. Went with a Dash and it arrived today. We made 6 hard boiled eggs and they were absolutely perfect! Should have bought one years ago.

Oh, and DH and I are now in disagreement about how to cook our eggs so they peel right. :p

after you drain the water, give the eggs a good hard swirl in the empty pot letting them gently crack one another, then cover them with cold water and some ice cubes. This allows the cool water to creep between the shell and the egg white/inner membrane making peeling very easy when you're ready to do so.

That's pretty much what I do, and it works for me every time - even with very fresh eggs. Instead of swirling them in the pan I use tongs to pick them up and crack them on the side of the pan. It's cracking the eggs to let the ice water in between the shell and egg that does the trick.

We used to do this for Easter with raw eggs and had a great time painting the shells but it works, in a different way, with the cooked eggs too. It just needs a lot of puff.
http://www.thekitchn.com/can-you-re...putting-tips-to-the-test-in-the-kitchn-216455

Someone in the comments also suggests using a teaspoon and running it under the shell - I've had this work before. There's also a suggestion of putting the egg in a glass with a bit of water and shaking it up. I've seen videos of this work too, but never tried it.
:scared: Honestly, I wish I'd never read this. The thought that I may have, at some point, eaten a boiled egg that somebody else blew all over is truly sickening. I implore you - please don't breathe all over food if you plan to serve it to other people. :crazy2:

I have pretty good luck with HB eggs. I cover them with cold water (enough to cover the eggs and maybe 2"=3" more, put them on to boil, let them boil gently for 10 mins. Take them off the heat, pour out the hot water. Immediately put into cold water and then peel while still hot, under running cold water. The science behind this is that the hot protein lining the egg shell/egg is sticky when hot but when you quickly cool it, the proteins shrink away from each other and make it easier to peel. Not sure if the science is accurate, but it usually works! (And yes, fresher eggs are harder to peel!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter