The PCC 2.0 disconnect thread

zulemara

<font color=royalblue>Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!<br
Ok so here is the premise:

I'm on the internet...all the time. I work at home(IT) and when I have downtime, I'm surfing the net. When I leave my home, my droid keeps me constantly connected with work and personal email, IM(If I choose) and internet.

On a day to day basis I don't mind having connectivity, but I'm going on VACATION and contrary to how many ppl travel to Disney, I do not want communication technology with me on the ship.

I am bringing my droid for the purpose of music playing and picture taking(though I'm debating bringing my camera), otherwise I would just leave it home. I bought a little external speaker setup for our room for the music. NO LAPTOP, and I'm hoping, desperately, that I don't give in and use the ship's computer.

The reasons are 2 fold. 1 is expense of internet on the ship and 2 is the fact that we all live such a connected life that sometimes it's great to just get away, fully away, with no communication at all to the outside world. In fact, this is largely what Walt wanted for WDW and I would think the same would apply to the cruiseline.

Obviously some have to be at least checking in on email for work, but for those of us lucky to not be stuck doing so, I'm wondering who else is with me in this quest? I figure a support system is the best way to stay strong and not give in to the internet on board.

I didn't check my e-mail for 2 weeks this summer while cruising theBaltic on the Magic. After 2 or 3 days I completely forgot about the world I left behind.

Since I teach online - I need to check my email at least daily. Otherwise, I wouldn't use the computer on vacation.

I didn't check my e-mail for 2 weeks this summer while cruising theBaltic on the Magic. After 2 or 3 days I completely forgot about the world I left behind.

that's what I'm hoping for!

I'm bringing my laptop, but have no intention of using it on the ship, at least not for internet purposes. Maybe to upload pictures. That's it! (I'm bringing it to use pre and post cruise and maybe to watch Survivor on the plane.)

The work Blackberry is staying home. I really need to disconnect from work for the week.

I will have my personal cell phone. We ended up texting to coordinate when and where. we'll meet. I'll bring my personal laptop. Like Lois, to download pictures and see who wins the Amazing Race an Survivor. My Mac doesn't do work related stuff, only fun things! ;)

Unfortunately I'm bringing my laptop but primarily because I have to use it for a few hours of work between Dec 9th and 21st. My time on the boards and FB via the laptop will be very limited.

I'm bringing our laptop but won't be using it for internet while on board ship. I'll use it during our before and after cruise stays at WDW, but while on board its strictly along to download pictures to.

I figure I won't have time to miss the internet with all the activities that are happening on board. Not only that, but almost all the people I regularly follow here on the DIS or on FB are going to be on board with us.

The laptop is coming for picture uploads. And maybe a little social site visiting before and after the cruise. No email on the ship.

Kim

Just wondering ... if internet were complimentary aboard, how would that change your answers. On some ships, if you have elite status, you get a certain amounts of free minutes. I don't think DCL offers this.

I will have my laptop for picture uploading and my iPhone for calendar, even if it is in airplane mode. After the cruise I will probably use the internet, but as far as the teacher I TA for knows, I am away from the internet/phone from December 9-22.

Just wondering ... if internet were complimentary aboard, how would that change your answers. On some ships, if you have elite status, you get a certain amounts of free minutes. I don't think DCL offers this.

good question...I think I'd probably post once a day on Facebook to let my family know how much fun we're having. maybe. I don't think I'll have any time to do more than that.

On the Wonder- I am sooo looking forward to being disconnected!!
Like others, my netbook is coming along for photo uploads only.
And, we will use our iPod and speakers in the room for music.
My droid is my alarm clock and my calendar to keep me in the right places at the right times.

At WDW pre and post cruise, I unfortunately have to do a little work. People expect to get paid :-)laughing:)- they really don't care that I am on vacation. And there's a ton of other work stuff happening right now that I will need to check in on onoce we are back on land.

I envy everyone who can truly disconnect!!

I will be completely disconnected!!!! And excited that DH will be too!!!! FINALLY!!!!

One of my favorite things about WDW is the fact that I disconnect!! I have the Droid, I plan on using it for the camera, but not internet. And text to keep tabs on DD :) I am stoked to have no cells or computers for the cruise :)

well I'm glad there are others in my shoes, or at least attempting to disconnect. I think it's the only way to truly relax :cool1:

If the internet were free, in this particular case with how I feel right now, I still wouln't go online. There is just nothing important enough for me to justify using the internet.

Ok one exception, and I can't do it cuz it'll cost a fortune and I doubt there is even signal, but I would LOVE to use foursquare to check in to castaway cay :rotfl::rotfl:

Total disconnect for me. No laptop... Just a cell phone that will be OFF a large percentage of the time.

If I had my laptop or my phone is on there is a reasonable chance the company I worked for will try to get a hold of me. They have done it in the past and I've learned that lesson. For years I've resisted an answering machine so they could not leave me any messages while on vacation.

After 30+ years in MIS/IS/IT, whatever you want to call it this year, on call 24X7 you have to get away from it. One of the GREAT things about Disney is it does just that... and this time we all have each other to help add to the diisconnect. It's soon to be PARTY Time:banana:

I will have my laptop but will only use it for downloading photos. I truly enjoy being disconnected on a cruise. iPhone gets turned off and goes in safe until we return. Very relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter